PDA

View Full Version : Moderator

patrickt
12-13-2013, 12:35 PM
How does someone join this forum and 2.5 months later is a moderator?

Cthulhu
12-13-2013, 12:37 PM
By displaying consistent character that is desirable, and have enough activity time to warrant the decision.

That's my guess.

Captain Obvious
12-13-2013, 12:43 PM
I didn't realize there was a waiting period.

Sand in your vagina?

KC
12-13-2013, 12:45 PM
It's not a system based on seniority, it's based on character, dedication, etc. Not sure if you realize this but moderating is actually a pain in the ass, you should be thankful we have upstanding members who are willing to accept the position.

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 12:45 PM
I paid someone.

Cthulhu
12-13-2013, 12:48 PM
I paid someone.

Are sexual favors currency now?

Adelaide
12-13-2013, 12:48 PM
By displaying consistent character that is desirable, and have enough activity time to warrant the decision.

That's my guess.

Personally, that's basically what runs through my mind when I think of people that I think should be moderators. It's also hard to try and find people who would make good moderators who are also always active during the day on week days, which is what we needed. The newer moderators/members are good moderators who also have that extra component of being online during the day. We needed at least 2 people to help during that period since it's very active and hard on the standard one moderator we've always had previously.

I don't have anything negative to say about Green and Codename. They're still learning but they've so far been good "investments".

@patrickt (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=348) If you have a problem with something specifically, then feel free to PM me. As a moderator representative I'd be happy to address concerns. Any specific concerns shouldn't be raised publicly as it would most likely be questioning moderation.

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 12:49 PM

Dude, I'm a born again virgin. I told you this. Shame on you!

Cigar
12-13-2013, 12:50 PM

Why you want to be a Moderator?

Got something in mind?

The Xl
12-13-2013, 12:50 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/030/403/YouMad.jpg?1260647699

Cthulhu
12-13-2013, 12:55 PM

You're right, that was terrible of me to say.:undecided:

...I'll go stand in the corner.

patrickt
12-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Thank you. Just curious.

Cigar
12-13-2013, 12:58 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/030/403/YouMad.jpg?1260647699

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzHnmQGpHd9hJtbmNVSrvwMNTYt0V6z zB4JjBRNr0VmGrF9FTf

Captain Obvious
12-13-2013, 12:59 PM

http://www.webmasternerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2.jpg

Cigar
12-13-2013, 01:01 PM

How does that happen, Exersisim :laugh:

oceanloverOH
12-13-2013, 01:10 PM
It's me. The gents on the Mod Squad all want my body.

Cthulhu
12-13-2013, 01:12 PM
What have I done to the thread?

Cigar
12-13-2013, 01:15 PM
It's me. The gents on the Mod Squad all want my body.

I think you're boys need to spend a few hours away from the Browsers and Blowup and experience reality rather virtual reality :laugh:

KC
12-13-2013, 01:15 PM

How does that happen, Exersisim :laugh:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmy4vCgKu6ju60l-x2thyheEyzRxruSpu9rmQ14kKWWl3t1zfMAw
http://planes.users.sonic.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/mtg-logo.png
http://www.incgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/wow-logo2.jpg

Captain Obvious
12-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Kudos to Adelaide for giving a courteous and proper response.

... unlike the rest of us douchebags who just dogpiled the thread.

:grin:

Cthulhu
12-13-2013, 01:30 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmy4vCgKu6ju60l-x2thyheEyzRxruSpu9rmQ14kKWWl3t1zfMAw

^^Most effective from of birth control ever.

Chris
12-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Personally, that's basically what runs through my mind when I think of people that I think should be moderators. It's also hard to try and find people who would make good moderators who are also always active during the day on week days, which is what we needed. The newer moderators/members are good moderators who also have that extra component of being online during the day. We needed at least 2 people to help during that period since it's very active and hard on the standard one moderator we've always had previously.

I don't have anything negative to say about Green and Codename. They're still learning but they've so far been good "investments".

@patrickt (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=348) If you have a problem with something specifically, then feel free to PM me. As a moderator representative I'd be happy to address concerns. Any specific concerns shouldn't be raised publicly as it would most likely be questioning moderation.

Agree, and if I might add to that based on my experience here as a former mod and now member something that seems to not be well understood here, and that's that no moderator acts on his own but together on a team through consensus. A mod may make a mistake but the team will provide feedback and keep each other in line. To reiterate what adelaide said above, if you do have an issue with a mod you can go to a moderator representative and you will be heard and treated fairly.

S L H
12-13-2013, 01:59 PM
I disagree Its much more exciting to air dirty laundry in public plus it gives the board an opportunity to see things for what they are and eliminates the secrecy element

Max Rockatansky
12-13-2013, 02:07 PM

That's my guess.

I just watched "Lovelace" on Netflix streaming last night and an alternative theory came to mind, but your idea is probably correct.

Green Arrow
12-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Sorcery. Oh, and offerings of free bacon.

Cthulhu
12-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Sorcery. Oh, and offerings of free bacon.

Mmmm...bacon....

zelmo1234
12-13-2013, 03:25 PM
You're right, that was terrible of me to say.:undecided:

...I'll go stand in the corner.

You just make sure all you are dong in that corner is standing young man! :)

zelmo1234
12-13-2013, 03:26 PM
I disagree Its much more exciting to air dirty laundry in public plus it gives the board an opportunity to see things for what they are and eliminates the secrecy element

By the way I think your signature is awesome!

oceanloverOH
12-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Mmmm...bacon....

Bacon? Did somebody say BACON????? *perk*

The Sage of Main Street
12-13-2013, 03:50 PM

All a wannabe Netiquette Nanny has to do is submit a note from his psychiatrist stating that when he was a child, his parents took him on a family vacation, left him at a rest stop, and were hundreds of miles away before they noticed he was missing.

The Sage of Main Street
12-13-2013, 03:55 PM

If Cho at Virginia Tech hadn't been afraid of dropping out and going out into the real world, he could have made money off his sick mind on these degenerate games. Then he would not have needed to kill.

Max Rockatansky
12-13-2013, 04:38 PM
If Cho at Virginia Tech hadn't been afraid of dropping out and going out into the real world, he could have made money off his sick mind on these degenerate games. Then he would not have needed to kill.

Impossible to predict, but I think a person as mental ill as Cho was simply a fuse waiting to be lit. He needed treatment, not a job or a college degree.

del
12-13-2013, 04:42 PM

first, you join the forum then 10 weeks later, someone asks you to be a mod.

pretty complicated

derp

Max Rockatansky
12-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Has anyone ever noticed that it seems Left Wing mods are easier to recruit and retain than Right Wing mods?

Green Arrow
12-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Has anyone ever noticed that it seems Left Wing mods are easier to recruit and retain than Right Wing mods?

Not really. Our staff is fairly balanced.

Max Rockatansky
12-13-2013, 06:01 PM

Many are and I'm not saying anything about the present forum. I've been on several forums and it seems that more Left Wing members are willing to serve as mods than Right Wing. It also seems the turnover of RW mods is higher than LW. I don't have hard data and, since I've never been a mod (nor desire to be one), I've never seen the inner workings for myself.

Kabuki Joe
12-13-2013, 06:51 PM
It's not a system based on seniority, it's based on character, dedication, etc. Not sure if you realize this but moderating is actually a pain in the ass, you should be thankful we have upstanding members who are willing to accept the position.

...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...really?...character?...dedi cation?...

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 06:52 PM
...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...really?...character?...dedi cation?...

Ok, you got us...

I promised to be ocean's pool boy and Green Arrow is Peter's private chef.

Kabuki Joe
12-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Kudos to @Adelaide (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=473) for giving a courteous and proper response.

... unlike the rest of us douchebags who just dogpiled the thread.

:grin:

...that's odd coming from you...

zelmo1234
12-13-2013, 06:54 PM

You know I got to thinking about this and decided that I could not go without at least defending some people that are trying to do something.

You know back when I was in that VIP club there most of our moderators were from the left leaning crowd, and the often did not see anything wrong with the post of their fellow comrades, which is normal.

These guys are trying darn hard to be fair and calling them out? Well that is just being an ass wipe! Give them a chance and if you thing you are being treated unfairly report it!

Alyosha
12-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Maybe they should choose a small dicked misogynist or perhaps a bitter old man who hates anyone who challenges him? That could be a fun mix of moderators!

That's right up there with having Ren and Stimpy do it.

Ravi
12-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Agree, and if I might add to that based on my experience here as a former mod and now member something that seems to not be well understood here, and that's that no moderator acts on his own but together on a team through consensus. A mod may make a mistake but the team will provide feedback and keep each other in line. To reiterate what adelaide said above, if you do have an issue with a mod you can go to a moderator representative and you will be heard and treated fairly.
How about when a couple of mods overlook blatant rule breaking in a thread they participate in? Is it true that rule breaking only happens if it has been reported?

zelmo1234
12-13-2013, 07:31 PM
How about when a couple of mods overlook blatant rule breaking in a thread they participate in? Is it true that rule breaking only happens if it has been reported?

I don't know how I know this but they are not allowed to mode a thread if they are involved in the conversation!

OH! my god I am sticking up for the man???? Someone kill me!

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 07:35 PM

We can't mod threads we participate in. We can't mod threads unless there is a consensus. This is why it takes so long to moderate sometimes.

You can report someone tho.

Ravi
12-13-2013, 07:37 PM
We can't mod threads we participate in. We can't mod threads unless there is a consensus. This is why it takes so long to moderate sometimes.

You can report someone tho.interesting but I got modded by a mod that had participated in the thread.

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 07:39 PM
interesting but I got modded by a mod that had participated in the thread.

Then there was probably only 1 or 2 mods on. We had a day with 30 reports and 2 mods on. Ravi sorry if that happened to you.

Ravi
12-13-2013, 07:43 PM
So rules are subjective.

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 07:45 PM
So rules are subjective.

Rules, laws, pretty much anything with people involved is to a slight degree or even large degree subjective. Again, point me to where you got modded and I can see what should or could be done about if for you. I promise I will.

Chloe
12-13-2013, 07:47 PM
The moderators are just trying to do their job and do it as fairly as they can, but they aren't perfect or anything. I think we should try and cut them a little slack and just try to not be such jerks to each other so much.

Dr. Who
12-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Being a mod on this forum means that you cannot simply react to what people say without making sure that you go beyond upholding the rules, no matter what the provocation, even when posting as a member. Mods are not perfect. Sometimes they too have a bad day, but even on their worst day, they are exercising more restraint than some members do on a good day. The bottom line for mods is having emotional control. That is not a matter of political leaning, or length of time as a member, but really one of personality. Mods certainly do have their political biases, but when it comes to moderation it can only be about behavior. Is a member responding in a manner that breaks the rules? No more and no less. We discuss and obtain consensus. We choose mods on the basis of their ability not to respond with venom, but with discussion or if discussion is not possible, with silence.

zelmo1234
12-13-2013, 07:53 PM

It is now!

zelmo1234
12-13-2013, 07:56 PM
The moderators are just trying to do their job and do it as fairly as they can, but they aren't perfect or anything. I think we should try and cut them a little slack and just try to not be such jerks to each other so much.

Yes I have been noticing that you are so mean to people lately! :) NOT!

If we all had your attitude, we would not need moderators. Don't ever lose that !

Ravi
12-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Rules, laws, pretty much anything with people involved is to a slight degree or even large degree subjective. Again, point me to where you got modded and I can see what should or could be done about if for you. I promise I will.you were there.

Shouldn't mods strive to be objective? I know it is difficult which is why I will not do it again.

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 08:03 PM
you were there.

Shouldn't mods strive to be objective? I know it is difficult which is why I will not do it again.
Ravi

are you sure I've modded you? I thought I pretty much stayed away from modding you because I think you think that I don't like you. I didn't want to be involved in Ravi modding.

If I modded you, I'm sorry.

sky dancer
12-13-2013, 08:05 PM
@Ravi (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=698)

are you sure I've modded you? I thought I pretty much stayed away from modding you because I think you think that I don't like you. I didn't want to be involved in Ravi modding.

It's possible you're too nice to be a mod.:smiley:

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 08:06 PM
It's possible you're too nice to be a mod.:smiley:

Ohhhh, sky dancer, this is why I love you. Only you would say that to me. :D

Max Rockatansky
12-13-2013, 08:07 PM

I'm betting the pay and benefits suck too! At least there's Obamacare!

zelmo1234
12-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Ohhhh, sky dancer, this is why I love you. Only you would say that to me. :D

You did notice that sky's avatar has it's eye's closed? maybe she just can't see your mean and nasty side? :)

After all we can't have you getting a big head!

fyrenza
12-13-2013, 08:11 PM
It has to depend upon scheduling, because there are Mods that have actual jobs, families, and lives to attend,

so a lot of it has to be who's the best candidate,
that is regularly here at the times that need covering.

Being an Admin or a Mod is NO picnic in the park

and even MORE than being some Status Symbol?

It's an UNPAID JOB, with requirements.

If a Mod "behaves" as s/he should?

KUDOS to Admin and the Mod Squad for picking another winner!

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 08:11 PM
You did notice that sky's avatar has it's eye's closed? maybe she just can't see your mean and nasty side? :)

Hahaha. Naww, I'm just glad she decided to stay. Sky's got a good heart and even tho she gets ganged up on she keeps on. I like that.

sky dancer
12-13-2013, 08:13 PM

You may be right. I kinda like the guy.

Chloe
12-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Yes I have been noticing that you are so mean to people lately! :) NOT!

If we all had your attitude, we would not need moderators. Don't ever lose that !

Thanks. I'm sure not everybody here thinks that i'm all that nice or loves my attitude though. I get frustrated and mean just like anybody else on here can be sometimes.

zelmo1234
12-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Hahaha. Naww, I'm just glad she decided to stay. Sky's got a good heart and even tho she takes a beating she keeps on. I like that.

I like Sky too!

roadmaster
12-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks. I'm sure not everybody here thinks that i'm all that nice or loves my attitude though. I get frustrated and mean just like anybody else on here can be sometimes. Yea but most like you, like me.

zelmo1234
12-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Thanks. I'm sure not everybody here thinks that i'm all that nice or loves my attitude though. I get frustrated and mean just like anybody else on here can be sometimes.

I guess I just don't spend enough time in the fashion threads, so I don't get to see that side of you :)

zelmo1234
12-13-2013, 08:18 PM
You may be right. I kinda like the guy.

Hey! he should be a pretty good egg, after we learn him up a bit!!!! :)

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Cthulhu has tried for months now.

zelmo1234
12-13-2013, 08:25 PM
@Cthulhu (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=872) has tried for months now.

Yes but he is a little to soft on you! I think we might just need a little more stick than carrot for a while :)

sky dancer
12-13-2013, 08:30 PM
I may not always agree with every mod call, but at least, the mods here are willing to share what informs their actions.

Kalkin
12-13-2013, 09:02 PM

I could be here every day if I were a moderator....

Cthulhu
12-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Maybe they should choose a small dicked misogynist or perhaps a bitter old man who hates anyone who challenges him? That could be a fun mix of moderators!

That's right up there with having Ren and Stimpy do it.
Alyosha

You live...?

Chris
12-13-2013, 09:05 PM

Sorry, your two questions don't make sense together.

1) You're supposed to report what you see as rule breaking.

2) I don't know, if a tree falls in a forest...

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 09:06 PM
@Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863)

You live...?

She's supposed to be resting and not stressing.

Cthulhu
12-13-2013, 09:07 PM

True. I remember the bacon thread. Hilarious stuff.

Cthulhu
12-13-2013, 09:09 PM
@Cthulhu (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=872) has tried for months now.

LOL. You crack me up. Ye aulde miscreant and vagabond ye...

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 09:09 PM
True. I remember the bacon thread. Hilarious stuff.

Chloe was kind of mean on that bacon thread. She tried to turn it into something about having lunch with friends or something.

Chris
12-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Oh, everybody's so happy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpzhm6084O0

:happy20:

Chloe
12-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Chloe was kind of mean on that bacon thread. She tried to turn it into something about having lunch with friends or something.

I'm not sure which thread you are talking about. Basically anytime I mention food or my diet people start posting pictures of bacon just to mess with me, so it could be a lot of threads.

Cthulhu
12-13-2013, 09:18 PM

...actually, I turned it into an all things bacon thread. It was originally "who would you have lunch with and why" or something like that. Epic thread until I flung bacon all over it.

After Chloe saw the bacon dress it was all down hill from there.

Great thread though.

Captain Obvious
12-13-2013, 09:53 PM
So rules are subjective.

Oh my god, don't let Chris hear that.

Chris
12-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Oh my god, don't let Chris hear that.

They're made objective through consensus and consistency.

I know you don't like to hear that.

Green Arrow
12-13-2013, 10:24 PM
@Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863)

You live...?

If she didn't, Cthulhu, Code and I wouldn't be here.

Cthulhu
12-13-2013, 10:29 PM
If she didn't, @Cthulhu (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=872), Code and I wouldn't be here.

I figured she was in suspended animation or something.

Why though? Where else would you be? Does she influence you guys that much?

Nevermind, don't answer that.

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 10:39 PM
I figured she was in suspended animation or something.

Why though? Where else would you be? Does she influence you guys that much?

Nevermind, don't answer that.

We actually had a 24 hour period where we weren't sure ...meh...fuck.

Cthulhu
12-13-2013, 10:45 PM
We actually had a 24 hour period where we weren't sure ...meh...fuck.

Tell her to get well soon. For both your sakes.

Ravi
12-14-2013, 06:21 AM
@Ravi (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=698)

No, I said you were there. Hey, can you make it so that no one that doesn't like me doesn't mod me? :)

zelmo1234
12-14-2013, 07:49 AM
No, I said you were there. Hey, can you make it so that no one that doesn't like me doesn't mod me? :)

Maybe you should make yourself more likeable? Just saying!

Codename Section
12-14-2013, 09:21 AM

I had a smartass comeback for this but it would be wrong. :D

In all seriousness tho since you're a lib, you're mostly modded by libs. If it's a con, then its modded by cons--typically. This keeps people from tagging people they may not like, it also makes your friends think you're a huge dick.

Max Rockatansky
12-14-2013, 09:24 AM

In all seriousness tho since you're a lib, you're mostly modded by libs. If it's a con, then its modded by cons--typically. This keeps people from tagging people they may not like, it also makes your friends think you're a huge dick.

Which brings up the idea of a new Achievement and/or Award; the Biggus Dickus Award for "wowdy webbles".

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCnO1wo03Rxfx8_JcfYmeG-Eq4Olly7ElmEf5bhd8AlMeM0fTt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8_jgiNqUc

Ravi
12-14-2013, 10:18 AM
The best moderated board I was ever on the mods didn't post. Or at least under their mod names. They also didn't zap you for bitching about them on the public forum, probably because their feelings couldn't be hurt as no one knew who they were.

Codename Section
12-14-2013, 10:22 AM
The best moderated board I was ever on the mods didn't post. Or at least under their mod names. They also didn't zap you for bitching about them on the public forum, probably because their feelings couldn't be hurt as no one knew who they were.

The best moderated board I was ever on was Terminal Lance because we could call each other names to blow off steam, but that's not here. We're here now and doing the best we can.

Codename Section
12-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Now that I think about it, this whole thread is a reprieve from the rules. patrickt is pretty much bitching about GA and I, you're ( Ravi ) are being allowed to say that you think our process sucks...

I mean, that's not so bad.

Ravi
12-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Like I said, the rules are subjective.

fyrenza
12-14-2013, 10:31 AM

ROFL!!!

The rules aren't exactly a secret,
and anyone with two brain cells knows when they're pushing the envelope.

It wouldn't matter to me exactly which Mod rebuked/restricted me,
I KNEW I had it coming,

and bitching about it being someone that "just doesn't LIKEEE me"
would be seen for the bullshit flailing for an excuse that it was, imho.

Chris
12-14-2013, 10:31 AM

Yea but who mods the libertarians? :protest:

Max Rockatansky
12-14-2013, 10:32 AM

All rules are arbitrary. Application of those rules may be subjective. It depends on the actual rule. For example, it may seem arbitrary that certain words are verboten such as George Carlin's "7 words you can't say on television." Violating that rule and a subsequent previously prescribed punishment wouldn't be subjective, would it?

If you want to think all rules are subjective, there is some truth to that, but I also think that could be misleading. Society comes up with mutually agreed upon rules. Same goes for forums. I fail to see the problem here.

Codename Section
12-14-2013, 10:33 AM

Who do you think gets stuck with that?

Max Rockatansky

Define a libertarian.

Chris

Made objective as possible through mod team consensus as long as that is the general guideline mods follow.

Chris
12-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Define a libertarian.

http://i.snag.gy/5Robu.jpg

There are all sorts of discussion in the economics and politics forum area...

Chris
12-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Who do you think gets stuck with that?

You and voluntaryist Green? Hopefully. :-)

Was just kidding actually but you only mentioned cons and libs.

Frankly, I don't think the divisive contentions on this forum are political, it's more like office politics, or that show Survivor.

Max Rockatansky
12-14-2013, 10:39 AM
http://i.snag.gy/5Robu.jpg

There are all sorts of discussion in the economics and politics forum area...

Libertarian = RINO to the far right Conservatives since they support dropping laws against abortion, drugs and other restrictions and also, as your own graphic displays, they are in the middle.

http://www.lp.org/platform

1.0 Personal Liberty

Individuals should be free to make choices for themselves and to accept responsibility for the consequences of the choices they make. No individual, group, or government may initiate force against any other individual, group, or government. Our support of an individual's right to make choices in life does not mean that we necessarily approve or disapprove of those choices.

1.1 Expression and Communication

We support full freedom of expression and oppose government censorship, regulation or control of communications media and technology. We favor the freedom to engage in or abstain from any religious activities that do not violate the rights of others. We oppose government actions which either aid or attack any religion.

1.2 Personal Privacy

Libertarians support the rights recognized by the Fourth Amendment to be secure in our persons, homes, and property. Protection from unreasonable search and seizure should include records held by third parties, such as email, medical, and library records. Only actions that infringe on the rights of others can properly be termed crimes. We favor the repeal of all laws creating “crimes” without victims, such as the use of drugs for medicinal or recreational purposes.

1.3 Personal Relationships

Sexual orientation, preference, gender, or gender identity should have no impact on the government's treatment of individuals, such as in current marriage, child custody, adoption, immigration or military service laws. Government does not have the authority to define, license or restrict personal relationships. Consenting adults should be free to choose their own sexual practices and personal relationships.

1.4 Abortion

Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that people can hold good-faith views on all sides, we believe that government should be kept out of the matter, leaving the question to each person for their conscientious consideration.

1.5 Crime and Justice

Government exists to protect the rights of every individual including life, liberty and property. Criminal laws should be limited to violation of the rights of others through force or fraud, or deliberate actions that place others involuntarily at significant risk of harm. Individuals retain the right to voluntarily assume risk of harm to themselves. We support restitution to the victim to the fullest degree possible at the expense of the criminal or the negligent wrongdoer. We oppose reduction of constitutional safeguards of the rights of the criminally accused. The rights of due process, a speedy trial, legal counsel, trial by jury, and the legal presumption of innocence until proven guilty, must not be denied. We assert the common-law right of juries to judge not only the facts but also the justice of the law.

1.6 Self-Defense

The only legitimate use of force is in defense of individual rights — life, liberty, and justly acquired property — against aggression. This right inheres in the individual, who may agree to be aided by any other individual or group. We affirm the individual right recognized by the Second Amendment to keep and bear arms, and oppose the prosecution of individuals for exercising their rights of self-defense. We oppose all laws at any level of government requiring registration of, or restricting, the ownership, manufacture, or transfer or sale of firearms or ammunition.

fyrenza
12-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Guess what, folks?

Life isn't exactly "fair,"

and the Mods, here, seem to STRIVE to be objective,

and quite frankly?

^That's^ about the BEST you're going to get/see out here on the 't00bz.

Chris
12-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Libertarian = RINO to the far right Conservatives since they support dropping laws against abortion, drugs and other restrictions and also, as your own graphic displays, they are in the middle.

http://www.lp.org/platform

You're conflating Libertarian Party with libertarian principles. As a libertarian I voted Libertarian once for Michael Badnarik--he was truly libertarian, ever see his constitution class videos: https://archive.org/details/Michael_Badnarik?

as your own graphic displays, they are in the middle.

True only in the flat land of one-dimensional politics.

The Sage of Main Street
12-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Impossible to predict, but I think a person as mental ill as Cho was simply a fuse waiting to be lit. He needed treatment, not a job or a college degree.

Are you an agent for shrinks? A psychiatrist doesn't earn a living until he is 30 years old; he will always have the mind of a child. Letting such freaks give psychological advice is as absurd as the Catholic Church having celibate priests give marriage counseling.

The Sage of Main Street
12-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Which brings up the idea of a new Achievement and/or Award; the Biggus Dickus Award for "wowdy webbles".

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCnO1wo03Rxfx8_JcfYmeG-Eq4Olly7ElmEf5bhd8AlMeM0fTt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8_jgiNqUc

Has anyone noticed that Life of Brian (1979) should have been as outrageous to Bible Bangers as The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)? The screecher preachers practically shut the second film down, but at the time of the first, they didn't try to force their superstition on the rest of us. I hope that the apolitical toleration of Joel Osteen sets their tone for the future. Joel may be a money-hog and a hypocrite for all I know, but at least he doesn't try to force his Christianity on non-believers.

Max Rockatansky
12-14-2013, 09:02 PM
You're conflating Libertarian Party with libertarian principles.

Which means anyone can define libertarian to mean anything they want. Try getting the 130 million of the Americans who bothered to get off their couches to vote out of the total of 221 million eligible to vote to vote for your ideal candidate.

Do you see the problem here? Complaining is easy. Finding workable solutions is hard.

According to you, I'm a RINO as are millions of other American voters. Good luck getting them to vote your way.

Peter1469
12-15-2013, 12:06 AM

You called me an ass once, which was kind of funny! :wink:

Max Rockatansky
12-15-2013, 06:53 AM
Has anyone noticed that Life of Brian (1979) should have been as outrageous to Bible Bangers as The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)? The screecher preachers practically shut the second film down, but at the time of the first, they didn't try to force their superstition on the rest of us. I hope that the apolitical toleration of Joel Osteen sets their tone for the future. Joel may be a money-hog and a hypocrite for all I know, but at least he doesn't try to force his Christianity on non-believers.

"Life of Brian" was controversial. It think most people, knowing it wasn't a serious movie, didn't take the protesters seriously.

My ex-father in law though "Jesus Christ Superstar" was blasphemous. I thought was spiritually uplifting. Go figure.

patrickt
12-15-2013, 07:07 AM
A. I apologize for starting this thread.
B. The Life of Brian was a great movie.