⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup packed flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
1 tbsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. crushed red chile flakes
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
12 dried bay leaves
½ medium yellow onion, thinly sliced lengthwise

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Bring Old Bay and 8 cups water to a boil in a 4-qt. saucepan; add shrimp, reduce heat to low, and cook until shrimp are pink, about 2 minutes. Drain and transfer to bowl of ice water to chill; drain again.

2. Finely grind celery seeds and allspice in a spice grinder; transfer to a bowl and stir in oil, juice, parsley, salt, chile flakes, garlic, and bay leaves. In a 1-qt. glass jar, layer shrimp and onions; pour over oil mixture. Cover with lid; chill overnight before serving.

Refrigerate up to ten days.. It gets better and better.

I don't grind the spices or celery seeds.

http://www.saveur.com/sites/saveur.com/files/images/2011-09/7-pickled_shrimp_400.jpg

Codename Section
12-29-2013, 10:38 AM
shaarona

I want to try this. Do you ever add garlic cloves or extra red pepper?

shaarona
12-29-2013, 10:52 AM
@shaarona (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=434)

I want to try this. Do you ever add garlic cloves or extra red pepper?

Yes, but I like mine real zippy.. I love pickled garlic too.. It will cure a sore throat in a few hours.. So I usually add a few whole garlic cloves to the mix.

My uncle had three shrimp boats in Charleston.. so we made this all the time.

Codename Section
12-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Yes, but I like mine real zippy.. I love pickled garlic too.. It will cure a sore throat in a few hours.. So I usually add a few whole garlic cloves to the mix.

My uncle had three shrimp boats in Charleston.. so we made this all the time.

Really? I love natural remedies, but I'll be honest I don't get sick. I may have tho a scratchy throat for a day before it goes away so that could be useful.

shaarona
12-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Really? I love natural remedies, but I'll be honest I don't get sick. I may have tho a scratchy throat for a day before it goes away so that could be useful.

I used to buy wonderful pickled garlic at a Mediterranean Deli.. I will see if I can find you a good recipe.

Codename Section
12-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks shaarona.

shaarona
12-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Change Servings (javascript:void(0);) Makes servings USMetricAdjust Recipe (javascript:void(0)) (Help (http://allrecipes.com/help/recipeinfo/scaling.aspx))

6 bulbs garlic

4 cups white wine vinegar

1/4 cup white sugar (optional)

1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

4 whole cloves

1 bay leaf

2 dried red chile peppers

1 1/2 tablespoons
lemon zest

Directions

Trim the tops from the heads of garlic. Peel off all but one layer of the outer skin. Set aside.
In a saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, peppercorns, cloves, bay leaf, chile peppers and lemon zest. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, and continue to boil for another 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand overnight at room temperature.
Transfer to a clean jar. Strain the brine into the jar with the garlic so that the heads are completely covered. Discard the solids. Cover and store in the refrigerator until using. It will keep for 6 to 8 weeks. To keep longer, store in sterile jars and process in a hot water bath for at least 10 minutes to seal the jars.

Sometimes I put a red Chili pepper in each jar.

Sometimes I cut a pretty red pepper into small squares and add it to the mix.

People will eat them like peanuts.. Make a lot.

shaarona
12-29-2013, 11:31 AM
http://images.media-allrecipes.com/userphotos/250x250/00/56/69/566974.jpg

Peter1469
12-29-2013, 11:46 AM
I don't think that I would pickle good shrimp. The garlic looks great!

shaarona
12-29-2013, 11:52 AM
I don't think that I would pickle good shrimp. The garlic looks great!

LOLOL.

I like shrimp just steamed or in a creole ... but I love these pickled shrimp for a nibble before dinner.

oceanloverOH
12-29-2013, 01:00 PM
For me, the best way to eat shrimp is steamed, chilled, sprinkled with coarsely ground black pepper and served with a spicy cocktail sauce made with a touch of horseradish. I don't ever think I've eaten "my fill" of them!

shaarona
12-29-2013, 01:08 PM
For me, the best way to eat shrimp is steamed, chilled, sprinkled with coarsely ground black pepper and served with a spicy cocktail sauce made with a touch of horseradish. I don't ever think I've eaten "my fill" of them!

We used to boil them quickly in beer, Bay, lemons and onions.. Drain them , turn them out on newspapers and eat them with cocktail sauce made with Ketchup, lemon juice, horseradish and Tabasco..

You and I would get on famously.

I can also eat my weight in raw oysters from Apalachicola....

oceanloverOH
12-29-2013, 01:20 PM
We used to boil them quickly in beer, Bay, lemons and onions.. Drain them , turn them out on newspapers and eat them with cocktail sauce made with Ketchup, lemon juice, horseradish and Tabasco..

You and I would get on famously.

I can also eat my weight in raw oysters from Apalachicola....

Apalachicola???? THAT'S why we like these foods! Raised in Louisiana, were you? I spent 6 years of my childhood in the New Orleans area. My Mom picked up a lot of recipes there; as a matter of fact, I'll be making a nice Jambalaya in the next few days....pity I can't get REAL fresh shrimp for it....but whatcha gonna do when you live in Ohio?

shaarona
12-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Apalachicola???? THAT'S why we like these foods! Raised in Louisiana, were you? I spent 6 years of my childhood in the New Orleans area. My Mom picked up a lot of recipes there; as a matter of fact, I'll be making a nice Jambalaya in the next few days....pity I can't get REAL fresh shrimp for it....but whatcha gonna do when you live in Ohio?

Not Louisiana.. although I often visited cousins in NO and Monroe.. many years spent in Charleston. They love Apalachicola oysters and Bull's bay oysters. I like Apalachicola oysters because they are small and sweet.. I prefer them to selects.

If you are ever offered Pacific oysters.. give them a pass.