PDA

View Full Version : Building a wood stove for less than $75

Mr. Freeze
01-04-2014, 12:08 PM
I was reading exotix's comments about the poor this winter and wanted to bring up the fact that for less than $100 you can build a woodstove for cheaper energy costs this winter.

You'll need to recycle or buy a drum and then something to perch it on, a door, and piping. My neighbor built one for his house and altogether it cost him $100 and his cost savings will be $80 a month.

http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/Wood_Stove_Kit_Single.JPG

Depending on whether or not you "plate" the top you can also use it for cooking.

Here is what it looks like:

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww244/celticravenz/IMG_0383.jpg

undine
01-04-2014, 02:33 PM
What if you have no wood to burn?

shaarona
01-04-2014, 02:44 PM
I was reading exotix's comments about the poor this winter and wanted to bring up the fact that for less than $100 you can build a woodstove for cheaper energy costs this winter.

You'll need to recycle or buy a drum and then something to perch it on, a door, and piping. My neighbor built one for his house and altogether it cost him $100 and his cost savings will be $80 a month.

Depending on whether or not you "plate" the top you can also use it for cooking.

Is it safe?

Have you seen any of the Belgian tile stoves? They are just amazing .

Mr. Freeze
01-04-2014, 02:46 PM
What if you have no wood to burn?

There are multiple groups and resources that donate fire wood to the poor. There is also free firewood at the end of each winter off Craigslist.

Mr. Freeze
01-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Is it safe?

Have you seen any of the Belgian tile stoves? They are just amazing .

They meet regulatory standards and people use them all over the United States.

shaarona
01-04-2014, 03:04 PM

Well that's great.. Poor people should get a break.

Dr. Who
01-04-2014, 05:25 PM

I expect that unless the house is cabin sized this would probably be most useful in the more southern states where it doesn't get too cold?

Mr. Freeze
01-04-2014, 05:32 PM
I expect that unless the house is cabin sized this would probably be most useful in the more southern states where it doesn't get too cold?

Well, it was more a suggestion for the poor and I don't expect they have large houses. I've been in my friend's cabin and it heats it just like any other wood stove. It's just uglier, but cheaper.

undine
01-04-2014, 05:38 PM
There are multiple groups and resources that donate fire wood to the poor. There is also free firewood at the end of each winter off Craigslist.

At the end of winter isn't much help. Also, I was thinking more of a deforestation issue.

undine
01-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Well, it was more a suggestion for the poor and I don't expect they have large houses. I've been in my friend's cabin and it heats it just like any other wood stove. It's just uglier, but cheaper.
Could be problematic in an apartment or a trailer.

Mr. Freeze
01-04-2014, 05:47 PM
At the end of winter isn't much help. Also, I was thinking more of a deforestation issue.

It is for the next year, people do plan for the future. Feel free to disregard the FREE firewood examples I gave. As far as deforestation, trees are renewable energy wood stoves are listed as "green" energy, believe it or not.

Mr. Freeze
01-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Could be problematic in an apartment or a trailer.

Do you think that I'm saying everyone should have one? This is a single suggestion for those whose lifestyles this would fit. A large dog would be problematic in a trailer. Growing fish in a bathtub's not a good idea, either.

So many things don't fit a situation, that's why most one size fits all approaches don't work.

undine
01-04-2014, 05:53 PM
It is for the next year, people do plan for the future. Feel free to disregard the FREE firewood examples I gave. As far as deforestation, trees are renewable energy wood stoves are listed as "green" energy, believe it or not.

Really? Have you ever been to Haiti? Where are these poor people to store an entire season of wood. No offense, but those donating wood would do better to donate money to pay for heating oil.

undine
01-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Do you think that I'm saying everyone should have one? This is a single suggestion for those whose lifestyles this would fit. A large dog would be problematic in a trailer. Growing fish in a bathtub's not a good idea, either.

So many things don't fit a situation, that's why most one size fits all approaches don't work.Exactly. Most poor people don't live in single detached homes.

Mr. Freeze
01-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Really? Have you ever been to Haiti? Where are these poor people to store an entire season of wood. No offense, but those donating wood would do better to donate money to pay for heating oil.

Did you realize this is a DIY thread?

Mr. Freeze
01-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Exactly. Most poor people don't live in single detached homes.

Almost all of urban poor Detroit does. Look at the midwest, or don't. This is a DIY thread, if you want to discuss how to build a stove for under a $100 then contribute. If you want to discuss which is the best heating method then start a thread on it.

This was simply advice that has helped people I know, nothing more.

Mr. Freeze
01-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Almost all of urban poor Detroit does. Look at the midwest, or don't.

http://media.culturemap.com/crop/2d/88/600x450/Third-Ward-shotgun-houses_101521.jpg

This is a DIY thread, if you want to discuss how to build a stove for under a $100 then contribute. If you want to discuss which is the best heating method then start a thread on it.

This was simply advice that has helped people I know, nothing more.

countryboy
01-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Firewood usually doesn't spoil. :D

countryboy
01-04-2014, 07:51 PM

I'm not sure I would trust the thin gauge metal of a steel drum. Is there a thicker drum required to build one of these? I agree with Dr. Who, this would only be good for heating a small space. Not that there's a problem with that. I would also worry that the average poor person may not have the skills to successfully vent one of these without professional help.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about self sufficiency, I heat with wood myself. I just want to make sure folks are safe. :)

Also, the pic of the one in the cabin is a textbook case of how NOT to place a wood burning stove. Not enough clearance to the back, and it shouldn't be directly on the combustible floor.

It looks like the company that makes the kit you posted also makes at least one inexpensive cast iron stove. :wink: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_796_796?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Heaters%2C Stoves %2B Fireplaces-_-Wood Stoves-_-172891&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=172891&gclid=CKzgvOvn5bsCFYhcMgod2WcAFA

Codename Section
01-04-2014, 08:45 PM
I've made one because I like to make tons of shit. I put it in the garage and it works fine countryboy and its not too thin. It's probably where he got the idea.

I make a lot of shit because I can't sit still to save my life.

countryboy
01-04-2014, 08:58 PM
I've made one because I like to make tons of shit. I put it in the garage and it works fine @countryboy (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=452) and its not too thin. It's probably where he got the idea.

I make a lot of shit because I can't sit still to save my life.
Ya know, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I saw one in someone's garage years ago. I had forgotten.

Codename Section
01-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Ya know, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I saw one in someone's garage years ago. I had forgotten.

Yep, it will keep a no insulated garage pretty toasty. My garage is not a garage. It's a gunshop, fix it shop, fabrication shop, carpentry shop...

Dr. Who
01-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Yep, it will keep a no insulated garage pretty toasty. My garage is not a garage. It's a gunshop, fix it shop, fabrication shop, carpentry shop...

Is your floor combustible or is it concrete or dirt? Also, hope you have a couple of feet clearance between the drum and the wall, although being a garage you wouldn't be using the heating the same way as someone living in that space. Nevertheless, proximity to flammable surfaces requires sufficient clearance or the addition of non-flammable insulating material to protect the flammable surfaces.

Codename Section
01-04-2014, 10:38 PM
Is your floor combustible or is it concrete or dirt? Also, hope you have a couple of feet clearance between the drum and the wall, although being a garage you wouldn't be using the heating the same way as someone living in that space. Nevertheless, proximity to flammable surfaces requires sufficient clearance or the addition of non-flammable insulating material to protect the flammable surfaces.

LOL Dr. Who

if you had any idea of the type of engineering, fire control, and combustible training I had you wouldn't worry. Concrete floor, ample distance, etc.

I also have bluing equipment and haven't killed myself yet with poison. :D

Dr. Who
01-04-2014, 10:47 PM
LOL @Dr. Who (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=612)

if you had any idea of the type of engineering, fire control, and combustible training I had you wouldn't worry. Concrete floor, ample distance, etc.

I also have bluing equipment and haven't killed myself yet with poison. :D
Yeah, I asked but I figured that you probably know what you're doing. Unfortunately, so many others don't.

Codename Section
01-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I asked but I figured that you probably know what you're doing. Unfortunately, so many others don't.

That's what the Darwin awards are for.

Cthulhu
01-04-2014, 11:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qoyBVKC0nI

Add a little cement into the mix to air tight the beast, some mortar for the metal pipe coming out the top and you have yourself a ghetto cheap but perfectly effective stove which can use just about anything as fuel, barring liquids unless you make it with a little more panache.

Peter1469
01-05-2014, 07:48 AM

Do you have an FFL?