PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan

Germanicus
01-05-2014, 09:07 AM
I am not a veteran and I have never been to Afghanistan.

I was against putting western military in Afghanistan but I blame the government and not the military. Even though a guy like Chris Kyle makes me kinda angry I understand that a soldier follows orders and a soldier has no responsibility in relation to a war being just or not. A soldier should not care about the opinions of others about that anyway.

So, I am against what happened with Afghanistan. But its not like I am some kind of Taliban supporter. I just feel like we should stay the hell away from the Middle East and let them work it out themselves.

I am angry that the thing didnt work. Like I mean the place is still fucked and not much different. At first we entered because of the 'war on terror' and the western media also suddenly pretended to care about women/females in Afghanistan. So you are hearing about the terrible things that happen to women in Afghanistan and how it is all because of this Taliban.

So we end up fighting the Taliban. Which was kind of strange if you are a Rambo fan. Remember when the Afghani Taliban was our buddy? Fighting commies for us with Rambo? I love that thing with the horses and the dead goat. Afghanistan people are strange. They have a sport that is a cross between soccer and polo and the ball is a dead goat. Seriousy. Its in a Rambo movie.

And we all of a sudden care so much about females in Afghanistan in particular. Enough to fight a war. So to me its fucking bullshit. All of it. September 11 was fucked up. I saw it live. Like the second plane and people jumping from windows. I was too young to pay attention to Bosnia and first Iraq. To me the Iraq war was annoying because it was always on tv and it was boring. Seemed to go forever to me as a kid. I was happy when it was over but what changed anyway? So when I see the 911 thing it was horrible. And then I was very interested in the news. Especially right after. So it didnt make sense to me at all going to Iraq and Afghanistan. I think people allowed it because there was a collective desire from some kind of revenge. And I am not racist and before 911 black people were the big thing. Nobody cared about muslims. But now all of a sudden its like McCarthyism but its muslims under the bed. I was insulted by this nonsense. And by the puppet muslim leaders and groups that were created to parrot the government line and add to the hysteria just for 30 seconds of fame. The world has been retarded and disgusting to me ever since september 11 really but especially since invading Iraq and Afghanistan.

Of course I am just a regular person and not a terrorist. Before 911 there really were no terrorists. People didnt walk around being all terrified of terrorists. We killed those fuckers. And no negotiations. But now everyone is a terrified coward. Scared of islamic terrorists. Anyway/

So I am against being in Afghanistan and Irag and I wait years to get rid of the governments that went to war. Finally we get new governments in Australia, England and USA. But Obama and Rudd are fucking liars. And they do not end the wars and bring all troops home. They are sneaky fucks. Fucking leaving troops in these nations. Still. So the whole thing really fucks me off. But fuck, the world has gotten so fucked since with Libya and Syria that best not to pay attention to this kind of stuff because it is depressing. So I am kind of a news junkee but avoid stuff on western involvment/military action/support in foriegn conflict as far as minor details. Like I am no expert on the various 'rebel' groups in Syria like some people for example. But I follow enough to know. So anyway democracy is bullshit. Nonsense. Fake.

So anyway, fucken hail China! I am no terrorist ( I am against street protest so not even close. Terrorism is unacceptable and cowardly ) I have no faith in western government or western publics either really. So I am really against Afghanistan.

I see a doco on BBC the other day and it is about Afghanistan. It has these American guys trying to train these Afghanistan guys to be soldiers. These so-called 'soldiers' from Afghanistan were complete idiots. Sub human morons. Child like men with no brains at all. Complete fucking idiots. And the poor Americans are trying to train these stupid fucks to defend Afghanistan from the Taliban and whoever else may want to fuck with them. No chance America can leave and these guys hold power.

The doco was fucked because I know the average Afghani is a moron. But to see these fuckers and what they are like when they take control was kind of sad. And sort of funny. These guys were on heavy drugs and were doing that on the nod thing. Something stronger than pot the BBC pointed out but also showed that they were growing pot and had a nice plant in the middle of the base. So if they are not stoned they are worse. And these stupid fucks are also molesting young boys. They are pedophiles and there is a problem with them having young boys on the base. These are people that the American troops have orders to work with. I mean jesus fucking christ. While the BBC was there the Taliban fires on the base and these stupid fucks run to guns and start firing off into the distance aiming at nothing but worse the American officer guy sees a kid where they are firing and the kids running for cover. The American talks to the leader of these idiots after and is telling him he cant shoot at anyone and how there was a kid down there and he must see what he is shooting at. They guy lookewd like a highschool kid rolling his eyes at a teahcer. Then he says something about them being all the same and they are all Taliban. The guy is a fucking moron. Sub human fuck. And this is the leader. And he is not even from the area he is working in and doesnt speak the same language as the people he is firing at. So maybe to him they are all Taliban. But anyway, this is what the BBC is filiming. And you know what pommies are like. The BBC couldnt believe it. The narrator is all with the cutting pommy wit about how this is what the pommy taxpayer dollars have gone to. And really giving it to America pretty much since all this fucking stuff is because of America. So to see all this and I am only mentioning a little. If you saw the doco you would be shocked I am sure. I could see that the poor Americans that had orders to work with these animals were digusted by them.

I have seen how the USA destroyed millions worth of military equipment so these idiots couldnt have it. Sensible. They wouldnt keep it long. And I see that the US Government is fighting tooth and nail for a deal to stay in Afghanistan forever. With immunity. So the whole thing is going to end badly one way or another. I seriously think that the zero option is the only good option. Or invade again and rain hell on those motherfuckers and actually take the country. Smash the 'Taliban'. America has all this power and does nothing with it. Because of democracy and liberals. I am all for helping Afghani women if that is what will happen. But we all know Afghainstan is fucked and probably more fucked than before, no matter how many Afghani girls we steal away and train to be the new Afghani leaders of tomorrow.. ( FFS). Afghanistan is a big place. What percentage of women from there are better off? What do the women say that we do not groom for the cameras for our war propaganda? What a fucked world. That America is running. And that most people ignore.

What do you reckon? Zero option? Hail fucken China? (:

edit- Ha! I forgot. It is called - Mission Accomplished.. Burn George Bush!!! (: Pommies. ((:

Mission Accomplished? Secrets of Helmand

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/272x153/p01j2smf.jpg  Watch now 2 months left (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qxwl3) Also available in:

BSL (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qxwl3/sign)

Duration: 30 minutes
Reporter Ben Anderson joins Allied troops as they prepare to hand over to Afghan forces next year. But he finds the Afghan army and police forces - who are taking over when the British and Americans leave - poorly trained and lacking the resources needed to fight the Taliban. Worse, he uncovers evidence that the police themselves are committing horrendous crimes under the noses of Allied forces.  Show less (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qxwl3#)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qxwl3

Afghan police accused of corruption and child abuse

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21547542

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7GfV2qK-nw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwpn14IE7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qtWjpf1QQE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQjlCRMiX3U

HAIL CHINA!

Peter1469
01-05-2014, 09:20 AM
I didn't have a problem with the initial invasion of Afghanistan. We never should have turned it into an occupation.

donttread
01-05-2014, 09:45 AM
The Taliban is there because we wanted to play war games with Russia in the 80's in someone else's back yard. Conditions for women in Afghanistan have declined due to our previuos "interventions" . Also we went there to fight the terrorist, not the Taliban and the terrorist are gone.
Welcome to the global industrial war machine

I am not a veteran and I have never been to Afghanistan.

I was against putting western military in Afghanistan but I blame the government and not the military. Even though a guy like Chris Kyle makes me kinda angry I understand that a soldier follows orders and a soldier has no responsibility in relation to a war being just or not. A soldier should not care about the opinions of others about that anyway.

So, I am against what happened with Afghanistan. But its not like I am some kind of Taliban supporter. I just feel like we should stay the hell away from the Middle East and let them work it out themselves.

I am angry that the thing didnt work. Like I mean the place is still fucked and not much different. At first we entered because of the 'war on terror' and the western media also suddenly pretended to care about women/females in Afghanistan. So you are hearing about the terrible things that happen to women in Afghanistan and how it is all because of this Taliban.

So we end up fighting the Taliban. Which was kind of strange if you are a Rambo fan. Remember when the Afghani Taliban was our buddy? Fighting commies for us with Rambo? I love that thing with the horses and the dead goat. Afghanistan people are strange. They have a sport that is a cross between soccer and polo and the ball is a dead goat. Seriousy. Its in a Rambo movie.

And we all of a sudden care so much about females in Afghanistan in particular. Enough to fight a war. So to me its fucking bullshit. All of it. September 11 was fucked up. I saw it live. Like the second plane and people jumping from windows. I was too young to pay attention to Bosnia and first Iraq. To me the Iraq war was annoying because it was always on tv and it was boring. Seemed to go forever to me as a kid. I was happy when it was over but what changed anyway? So when I see the 911 thing it was horrible. And then I was very interested in the news. Especially right after. So it didnt make sense to me at all going to Iraq and Afghanistan. I think people allowed it because there was a collective desire from some kind of revenge. And I am not racist and before 911 black people were the big thing. Nobody cared about muslims. But now all of a sudden its like McCarthyism but its muslims under the bed. I was insulted by this nonsense. And by the puppet muslim leaders and groups that were created to parrot the government line and add to the hysteria just for 30 seconds of fame. The world has been retarded and disgusting to me ever since september 11 really but especially since invading Iraq and Afghanistan.

Of course I am just a regular person and not a terrorist. Before 911 there really were no terrorists. People didnt walk around being all terrified of terrorists. We killed those fuckers. And no negotiations. But now everyone is a terrified coward. Scared of islamic terrorists. Anyway/

So I am against being in Afghanistan and Irag and I wait years to get rid of the governments that went to war. Finally we get new governments in Australia, England and USA. But Obama and Rudd are fucking liars. And they do not end the wars and bring all troops home. They are sneaky fucks. Fucking leaving troops in these nations. Still. So the whole thing really fucks me off. But fuck, the world has gotten so fucked since with Libya and Syria that best not to pay attention to this kind of stuff because it is depressing. So I am kind of a news junkee but avoid stuff on western involvment/military action/support in foriegn conflict as far as minor details. Like I am no expert on the various 'rebel' groups in Syria like some people for example. But I follow enough to know. So anyway democracy is bullshit. Nonsense. Fake.

So anyway, fucken hail China! I am no terrorist ( I am against street protest so not even close. Terrorism is unacceptable and cowardly ) I have no faith in western government or western publics either really. So I am really against Afghanistan.

I see a doco on BBC the other day and it is about Afghanistan. It has these American guys trying to train these Afghanistan guys to be soldiers. These so-called 'soldiers' from Afghanistan were complete idiots. Sub human morons. Child like men with no brains at all. Complete fucking idiots. And the poor Americans are trying to train these stupid fucks to defend Afghanistan from the Taliban and whoever else may want to fuck with them. No chance America can leave and these guys hold power.

The doco was fucked because I know the average Afghani is a moron. But to see these fuckers and what they are like when they take control was kind of sad. And sort of funny. These guys were on heavy drugs and were doing that on the nod thing. Something stronger than pot the BBC pointed out but also showed that they were growing pot and had a nice plant in the middle of the base. So if they are not stoned they are worse. And these stupid fucks are also molesting young boys. They are pedophiles and there is a problem with them having young boys on the base. These are people that the American troops have orders to work with. I mean jesus fucking christ. While the BBC was there the Taliban fires on the base and these stupid fucks run to guns and start firing off into the distance aiming at nothing but worse the American officer guy sees a kid where they are firing and the kids running for cover. The American talks to the leader of these idiots after and is telling him he cant shoot at anyone and how there was a kid down there and he must see what he is shooting at. They guy lookewd like a highschool kid rolling his eyes at a teahcer. Then he says something about them being all the same and they are all Taliban. The guy is a fucking moron. Sub human fuck. And this is the leader. And he is not even from the area he is working in and doesnt speak the same language as the people he is firing at. So maybe to him they are all Taliban. But anyway, this is what the BBC is filiming. And you know what pommies are like. The BBC couldnt believe it. The narrator is all with the cutting pommy wit about how this is what the pommy taxpayer dollars have gone to. And really giving it to America pretty much since all this fucking stuff is because of America. So to see all this and I am only mentioning a little. If you saw the doco you would be shocked I am sure. I could see that the poor Americans that had orders to work with these animals were digusted by them.

I have seen how the USA destroyed millions worth of military equipment so these idiots couldnt have it. Sensible. They wouldnt keep it long. And I see that the US Government is fighting tooth and nail for a deal to stay in Afghanistan forever. With immunity. So the whole thing is going to end badly one way or another. I seriously think that the zero option is the only good option. Or invade again and rain hell on those motherfuckers and actually take the country. Smash the 'Taliban'. America has all this power and does nothing with it. Because of democracy and liberals. I am all for helping Afghani women if that is what will happen. But we all know Afghainstan is fucked and probably more fucked than before, no matter how many Afghani girls we steal away and train to be the new Afghani leaders of tomorrow.. ( FFS). Afghanistan is a big place. What percentage of women from there are better off? What do the women say that we do not groom for the cameras for our war propaganda? What a fucked world. That America is running. And that most people ignore.

What do you reckon? Zero option? Hail fucken China? (:

edit- Ha! I forgot. It is called - Mission Accomplished.. Burn George Bush!!! (: Pommies. ((:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qxwl3

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21547542

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7GfV2qK-nw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwpn14IE7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qtWjpf1QQE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQjlCRMiX3U

HAIL CHINA!

Ethereal
01-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Such an incredible waste of blood and treasure.

Newpublius
01-09-2014, 02:05 PM
I didn't have a problem with the initial invasion of Afghanistan. We never should have turned it into an occupation.

In 1939 Britain and France declared war on Germany because Germany invaded Poland. Obviously Germany made a mockery of Polish sovereignty. The war was fought, it was won. Difficult to say Poland got liberated, per se, of course they got liberated by the Red Army and were then imposed upon for the next 50 years with a Communist government. Same here, this conflict has morphed. We wanted bin Laden, we got him, we should be out of Afghanistan.

Peter1469
01-09-2014, 04:40 PM
In 1939 Britain and France declared war on Germany because Germany invaded Poland. Obviously Germany made a mockery of Polish sovereignty. The war was fought, it was won. Difficult to say Poland got liberated, per se, of course they got liberated by the Red Army and were then imposed upon for the next 50 years with a Communist government. Same here, this conflict has morphed. We wanted bin Laden, we got him, we should be out of Afghanistan.

There was a lot of useless occupation and nation building up to bin Laden's death.

waltky
06-28-2016, 05:15 PM
Taliban are using child sex slaves to launch deadly insider attacks...
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/smilies/icon_omg.gif
Kabul to Investigate Child Sex Slavery Fueling Insider Attacks
Jun 28, 2016 - Afghanistan's president has ordered a "thorough investigation" into institutionalized sexual abuse of children by police, after AFP revealed the Taliban are using child sex slaves to launch deadly insider attacks.

There has been international condemnation of paedophilic "bacha bazi" -- literally "boy play" -- which AFP found has been exploited by the Taliban to mount a series of Trojan Horse attacks over two years that have killed hundreds of policemen in the remote southern province of Uruzgan. "The president has ordered a thorough investigation (in Uruzgan) and immediate action based on findings of the investigation," the presidential palace said of Ashraf Ghani in a statement. "Anyone, regardless of rank within the forces, found guilty will be prosecuted and punished in accordance and in full compliance of the Afghan laws and our international obligations," the English language statement said.

http://images.military.com/media/global/newscred/afghan-sentry-600-28-jun-2016.jpeg
The Taliban have been using child sex slaves to mount crippling insider attacks on police

The ancient custom of bacha bazi, one of the country's worst human rights violations, sees young boys -- sometimes dressed as women -- recruited to police outposts for sexual companionship and to bear arms. It is deeply entrenched in Uruzgan, where police commanders, judges, government officials and survivors of such attacks told AFP that the Taliban are recruiting bacha bazi victims to attack their abusers. The claims -- strongly denied by the Taliban -- expose child abuse by both parties in Afghanistan's worsening conflict. The presidential statement said there was "no place" in the Afghan establishment for abusers, adding it will do "whatever it takes" to punish them.

'Horrific'

The announcement follows a flurry of international reaction to AFP's report. "We strongly condemn any abuses of the horrific nature described in the article," the US embassy in Kabul said. "We urge the Afghan government... to protect and support victims and their families, while also strongly encouraging justice and accountability under Afghan law for offenders." In a letter last week to US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter, Congressman Duncan Hunter demanded a proactive American role to end bacha bazi in Afghan forces. "I remain concerned... that the Taliban is increasing its use of children to access security positions and mount insider attacks against... Afghan police," Hunter said in the letter seen by AFP. "It is my belief that we can begin taking immediate steps to stop child rape from occurring in the presence of US forces and reduce any risk of coinciding insider attacks. This includes imposing a zero-tolerance policy."

The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) said bacha bazi is of "high concern" for the international community. "UNAMA continues to receive anecdotal reports of bachi bazi, including within Afghan security forces, and continues its engagement with government to ensure the criminalization and prevention of all forms of exploitation and abuse of children," Mark Bowden, the UN deputy special representative for Afghanistan, told AFP. The Afghan government announcement, which did not specify a timeframe for the investigation, comes ahead of two crucial donor conferences on Afghanistan in Warsaw and Brussels this year. The war-battered country remains heavily dependent on international financial and military assistance, which helps sustain security forces -- including police.

'Morally reprehensible' (http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/06/28/kabul-investigate-child-sex-slavery-fueling-insider-attacks.html)

See also:

Islamic State Fighters Launch New Attacks in Eastern Afghanistan
Jun 26, 2016 - Heavy fighting between Afghan forces and Islamic State fighters has killed dozens of people, officials said Sunday, raising fears the militant group is staging a comeback months after Kabul said they had been defeated.

The fighting began late on Friday in the Kot area of the Rodat district in eastern Nangarhar province after a contingent of IS fighters attacked police check posts, provincial governor Salim Khan Kunduzi said. The interior ministry in a statement said at least 18 fighters had been killed and more than 40 others wounded so far, though Kunduzi placed the number of IS fighters killed as high as 36 and said at least a dozen security forces personnel and civilians had also died. Scores of people have been forced out of their homes, according to local officials.

http://images.military.com/media/global/newscred/afghan-national-army-soldier-fires-artillery-shell-clashes-state.jpeg
An Afghan National Army soldier fires artillery during clashes with suspected IS militants in the Kor area of eastern Nangarhar province

IS fighters began making inroads into Afghanistan in late 2014, winning over sympathizers, recruiting followers and challenging the Taliban on their own turf, primarily in the country's east. But in March, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani announced that the Islamists had been defeated following a months-long military operation. The US military estimates between 1,000 and 3,000 IS fighters are in Afghanistan, mostly comprised of disaffected Pakistani and Afghan Taliban, as well as Uzbek Islamists and locals.

Earlier this month the U.S. President Barack Obama ordered the US military to tackle the resurgent Taliban more directly -- in tandem with Afghan allies, ratcheting up a 15-year conflict he had vowed to end. On Saturday, the U.S. military carried out its first air strikes against Taliban targets under the newly approved rules, which mean U.S. troops can now work more closely with local fighters in striking the Taliban. Pentagon press secretary Peter Cook said the strikes occurred in southern Afghanistan, but he did not provide additional details.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/06/26/islamic-state-fighters-launch-new-attacks-eastern-afghanistan.html

waltky
08-24-2016, 04:35 PM
American University in Kabul attacked by insurgents...
http://www.newsforum.com/images/smilies/eek.gif
Kabul raid: Security forces hunt university attackers
Wed, 24 Aug 2016 - Security forces search the American University in Kabul for militants following an attack in the Afghan capital which killed one and saw students trapped inside.

One person, reportedly a guard, died and at least 14 were injured in the assault which began with a huge blast. Students and staff who were trapped inside the building are now believed to be safe, but the attackers remain at large, say reports. It is unclear how many attackers there are. No group has so far claimed responsibility. Police have described the attack, which began at about 19:00 local time (14:30 GMT), as "complex" and special forces were on the scene along with American military advisers.

One of those trapped inside was Massoud Hossaini, a Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist, who tweeted his experience and pleaded for help. He later managed to escape and told the Associated Press news agency about the attack, which began with an explosion as he was in a classroom with 15 students. "I went to the window to see what was going on, and I saw a person in normal clothes outside. He shot at me and shattered the glass," Mr Hossaini said, adding that he fell on the glass and cut his hands. The students then barricaded themselves into the classroom. Mr Hossaini said at least two grenades were thrown into the classroom, wounding several classmates.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/320/cpsprodpb/184B7/production/_90911599_f674f4a6-7ed8-4034-a3fe-d20b190bdd58.jpg
Afghan men walk towards an ambulance after they were rescued from the site of an attack at American University of Afghanistan in Kabul, Afghanistan

He and about nine students later managed to escape from the campus through an emergency gate. "As we were running I saw someone lying on the ground face down, they looked like they had been shot in the back," he said. Student Ahmad Mukhtar told the BBC that he was 100m (320ft) away from the university's main entrance on his way home when he heard "six or 10" shots and a "huge" blast. The explosion created so much light that it momentarily lit up the surrounding area, he said. "I climbed a six-metre wall to escape," Ahmad said.

Other trapped students and staff tweeted or posted on Facebook their desperate pleas for help. The attack comes two weeks after two university staff - one American, one Australian - were kidnapped by unknown gunmen. Their whereabouts remain unknown. The university, which first opened its doors to students in 2005, is a non-profit private university chartered in the US. It offers English courses, adult professional qualifications and bachelor degree programmes, among others. About 1,700 students are enrolled; many are adults who study part-time and also have jobs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37178241

See also:

Militants Attack American University of Afghanistan in Kabul
Aug 24, 2016 - Explosions and gunfire rocked the elite American University of Afghanistan in Kabul on Wednesday, prompting desperate students trapped inside classrooms to plead for help, in the latest militant attack in the Afghan capital.

No group has so far claimed responsibility for the assault, which comes just weeks after two university professors -- an American and an Australian -- were kidnapped at gunpoint near the school. Dozens of special forces cordoned off the area after the attack started on Wednesday evening, when the private university is usually packed with students, many of them working professionals doing part-time courses. "I heard explosions and gunfire is going on close by... our classroom is filled with smoke and dust," said an anxious student. "We are stuck inside and very afraid," she told AFP by telephone.

http://images04.military.com/media/global/newscred/university-attack-kabul-1500-24-aug-2016-ts600.jpeg
Afghan security forces rush to respond to a complex Taliban attack on the campus of the American University in the Afghan capital Kabul

Many other trapped students were tweeting desperate messages for help, with some barricading themselves inside classrooms. Among them was Associated Press photojournalist Massoud Hossaini, who later managed to escape with some fellow students. #AUAF "Many students have been evacuated," said interior ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi, adding that there were no immediate reports of any hostages taken by the attackers. "We are not sure about the number of attackers... but our special forces have started clearance operations."

Kabul-based journalist Ahmad Mukhtar, a university student, tweeted that he safely managed to escape but "several of my friends and professors (are) trapped inside". Ambulances rushed to the scene as erratic gunshots rang out from inside the campus. The Italian-run Emergency Hospital in Kabul tweeted that at least five wounded people had been brought to the facility for treatment. The attack, which underscores the worsening security situation in Afghanistan, comes as Taliban insurgents step up their summer fighting season against the Western-backed Kabul government.

Taliban offensive (http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/08/24/militants-attack-american-university-afghanistan-kabul.html)

waltky
12-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Millions Spent On Border Equipment In Afghanistan That No Longer Works...
:shocked:
Millions In U.S. Funds Spent On Border Equipment In Afghanistan That No Longer Works
December 1, 2017 • The inspection equipment sits "inoperable and unused" at four of five locations, according to an audit. At three of them, officials said the equipment had not been operational for at least two years.

In 2006, the U.S. military purchased $12.1 million worth of inspection equipment for five border posts in Afghanistan in an effort to crack down on illicit drug smuggling and boost customs duty revenues to the Afghan government. After operation, training and maintenance costs, the total investment for the equipment to date is estimated at up to $62.6 million. However, according to a new report, the equipment is now sitting "inoperable and unused" at four of the five locations. At three of them, officials told inspectors that the equipment had not been operational for at least two years. The report was issued by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction, or SIGAR – a military agency tasked by Congress to audit U.S. spending in Afghanistan.

Drug smuggling is a rampant problem in Afghanistan and a primary source of funding for the Taliban, as NPR's Tom Bowman has reported. The U.S. is preparing to send hundreds more military advisors to the country next year and has recently bombed opium processing plants. The amount of narcotics produced in Afghanistan continues to rise – and as SIGAR reported in October, "the estimated value of opiates produced in Afghanistan nearly doubled from $1.56 billion in 2015 to $3.02 billion in 2016." It said the U.S. has sunk at least $8.6 billion into counter-narcotics efforts in Afghanistan. U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) purchased the eight pieces of inspection equipment in 2006 that were capable of scanning vehicles and cargo containers for narcotics, explosives and contraband. According to the watchdog's report, the Pentagon-funded Border Management Task Force (BMTF) trained and mentored Afghan officials about how to use the equipment, spending about $36.5 million and holding more than 7,000 training sessions.

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2017/12/01/38723670851_3bfbd33962_o_custom-cc88f308e440c851b6bf086255b19bfc37977e29-s800-c85.jpg
The inoperable and unused scanner at Afghanistan's Islam Qara border crossing

SIGAR also estimates that CENTCOM paid the equipment manufacturer "between $10.8 million and $14.4 million" to maintain the scanners from 2007-2014. The equipment was formally handed over to the Afghan government in 2014, when BMTF stopped working in Afghanistan. And in most cases, it appears that the equipment quickly fell into disuse and disrepair. In fact, Kabul Airport is the only location where investigators found equipment still functioning as it was intended. "We interviewed Afghan government officials at each location to determine why the equipment was not being used," the report states. "Afghan officials we spoke with cited technical and software problems, maintenance issues/broken parts, and a lack of capable operators as reasons for the non-functioning equipment."

And while most officials said they had received training, "at one location an official noted that they had not been trained to maintain or troubleshoot even minor problems." The report concludes that because the U.S. has no presence on Afghanistan's borders, it's up to the Afghan government to use the equipment properly to curb smuggling and boost revenues. "Unfortunately, at this point, it appears that the Afghan government has been unable or unwilling to sustain that investment," SIGAR stated. CENTCOM said in an attached letter that it "concurs with that assessment."

MORE (https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/01/567734959/millions-in-u-s-funds-spent-on-border-equipment-in-afghanistan-that-no-longer-wo)