PDA

View Full Version : Russia Building Up Its Nuclear Arsenal

Mister D
07-21-2011, 11:43 AM
The Senate approved the treaty in December anyway, and New START won’t expire until 2020. The information that’s become available since then has only supported the critics’ arguments. Russia is indeed below New START’s caps, and is working to build its nuclear capabilities.

On June 1, the State Department confirmed that Russia was below both the limit of 1,550 deployed warheads and 700 deployed delivery vehicles: Russia declared 1,537 and 521, respectively. Thus, we traded 25 percent of American operational nuclear missiles for a Russian nuclear buildup — and Russia is already working to modernize and grow its nuclear arsenal. This is a direct result of the Obama administration’s weak approach to arms control, in which diplomatic agreement for its own sake, not advancing the national interest, becomes the objective.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/272340/after-new-start-mark-b-schneider

Conley
07-21-2011, 12:13 PM
At what point does it not matter how many nukes a country has?

On one hand, the more nukes a country has perhaps the more likely one is to go 'missing' -- that would be my concern with Russia.

On the other hand Reagan got a lot of credit for bankrupting the USSR by encouraging them to build up their arsenal.

But back to the point the fact of the matter is that Obama's team screwed up here...

Mister D
07-21-2011, 12:36 PM

On one hand, the more nukes a country has perhaps the more likely one is to go 'missing' -- that would be my concern with Russia.

On the other hand Reagan got a lot of credit for bankrupting the USSR by encouraging them to build up their arsenal.

But back to the point the fact of the matter is that Obama's team screwed up here...

I know what you mean. I was thinking the same thing. I mean they already have 1500 plus nukes...

Conley
07-21-2011, 01:00 PM

I know what you mean. I was thinking the same thing. I mean they already have 1500 plus nukes...

Yeah, in a way assuming the nuclear material is secure (big IF) I would rather they use their military spending on that sort of thing rather than smaller arms or research into weapons that might actually be used against our forces. When terrorists get a stray nuke it's not going to be because of the difference between 1500 and 2000 warheads, and it's probably not going to be Russian in origin either. All the more reason to start locking down our harbors and borders. I really do think it's only a matter of time. Neither Dubya nor Obama have done a thing about it either. Pisses me off just to think about it...going to be 100% preventable just like 9/11.

Mister D
07-23-2011, 03:29 PM

Yeah, in a way assuming the nuclear material is secure (big IF) I would rather they use their military spending on that sort of thing rather than smaller arms or research into weapons that might actually be used against our forces. When terrorists get a stray nuke it's not going to be because of the difference between 1500 and 2000 warheads, and it's probably not going to be Russian in origin either. All the more reason to start locking down our harbors and borders. I really do think it's only a matter of time. Neither Dubya nor Obama have done a thing about it either. Pisses me off just to think about it...going to be 100% preventable just like 9/11.

I think it's more likely to be a cheaper version like the infamous "dirty bomb" we hear so much about. Forget Russia. The fact that Pakistan was able to produce nukes is scary and it's these states (i.e. poor, Third World states) with their 2 or 3 nukes that worry me the most when it comes to this. Political instability and extremism... :o :-\

Conley
07-23-2011, 03:44 PM
right.....I don't give two squirts about START really.

to make a dirty bomb they don't even need a traditional nuclear weapon, just waste from a nuclear plant. how long until iran has that?

Mister D
07-23-2011, 04:04 PM
right.....I don't give two squirts about START really.

to make a dirty bomb they don't even need a traditional nuclear weapon, just waste from a nuclear plant. how long until iran has that?

Yeah, and it's not like the Mullahs have any compunctions about handing the stuff out...

Mister D
07-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Conley, I think these attempts at nuclear disarmament are best captured by the phrase symbolism without substance.

Conley
07-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Conley, I think these attempts at nuclear disarmament are best captured by the phrase symbolism without substance.

possibly, although in my mind these attempts are even worse than 'lacking substance', as they actively take away from the very real threats we are facing. the NR makes a good point about the dangers of pursing diplomatic agreements as an end in and of itself.

Mister D
07-23-2011, 08:14 PM

possibly, although in my mind these attempts are even worse than 'lacking substance', as they actively take away from the very real threats we are facing. the NR makes a good point about the dangers of pursing diplomatic agreements as an end in and of itself.

That's kind of what I mean. They just want to look they are doing something that matters when in reality it's just a meaningless gesture.

Conley
07-23-2011, 08:20 PM
gotcha.

MMC
07-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Exactly which by the years end all Nuclear Countries will have re-stocked their supply. or are going thru a re-stocking. So to me there is never an actual count. Except for thos able to be deployed immediately.

Actually I would be more concerned about the Uranium Facility that all discovered that the North Koreans built from the last time they had 6 party talks.

Mister D
07-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Exactly which by the years end all Nuclear Countries will have re-stocked their supply. or are going thru a re-stocking. So to me there is never an actual count. Except for thos able to be deployed immediately.

Actually I would be more concerned about the Uranium Facility that all discovered that the North Koreans built from the last time they had 6 party talks.

That's true. How can anyone be sure these official counts are even close to the truth?

MMC
07-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Their not.....as evidenced by the Libyan conflict. The US and per Executive Order, we blew over 250 Tomahawk missiles. No nukes. Just conventional although there is nothing conventional about them. Still at 500,000k a piece. This Administration knew it would have to replace them keeping the arsonal up to par so to speak.

So with this incident alone they pushed up the spending of the DOD. After Gates already had given a number as to what they were going to cut. Then turn around and use it somehow politically as an argument for making more cuts to the DOD.

Conley
07-24-2011, 05:17 PM
They actually cost even more than 500k per Tomahawk now. Ugh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_%28missile%29

Conley
07-24-2011, 05:20 PM
We only launched around 280 during the first Gulf War. Now we just launch them whenever we feel like there might be a target around.

Mister D
07-24-2011, 05:24 PM
We only launched around 280 during the first Gulf War. Now we just launch them whenever we feel like there might be a target around.

It creates fewer political problems on the home front I guess. 500K be damned! :-\

Conley
07-24-2011, 07:38 PM

It creates fewer political problems on the home front I guess. 500K be damned! :-\

Yeah, it's the American mindset of just put it on my tab...

Mister D
07-24-2011, 07:42 PM

Yeah, it's the American mindset of just put it on my tab...

Sheesh...that about sums it up.

MMC
07-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Then blame Republicans for not wanting to cut Defense..... :o >:(