PDA

View Full Version : Consumptionism Is The Worst Cancer

Ayvean
01-09-2014, 06:42 PM
The socioeconomic elite and their pawns who have imposed consumptionism have put the world's quality of life at high risk, committed countless human rights abuses (directly or indirectly), wasted many resources, intentionally kept society in a primitive state, and have caused untold damage to the natural environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZyUsxv_tis

donttread
01-11-2014, 11:20 AM
The sheer amount of energy and fossil fuel use we consume simply moving food and power long distances is mindboggling. Localized economies could fix so much , but then there are those huge urban areas that cannot be fed or powered in a sustainable manner

Peter1469
01-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Consumptionism (consumerism to more educated circles) certainly doesn't keep the 1st World in a primitive state.

Mister D
01-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Consumptionism (consumerism to more educated circles) certainly doesn't keep the 1st World in a primitive state.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. An emphasis on creature comforts and satisfying our most basic animal desires is an emphasis on what is least human about us.

Peter1469
01-11-2014, 01:39 PM
How about you contemplate that in your um-airconditioned teepee, big chief. :grin:

I guess it depends on how you look at it. An emphasis on creature comforts and satisfying our most basic animal desires is an emphasis on what is least human about us.

Mr. Freeze
01-11-2014, 01:55 PM
How about you contemplate that in your um-airconditioned teepee, big chief. :grin:

I lived in a tipi for awhile. They're quite comfortable.

Peter1469
01-11-2014, 01:58 PM
I lived in a tipi for awhile. They're quite comfortable.
I imagine. :smiley:

Mister D
01-11-2014, 02:27 PM

That's not to say I don't want or appreciate those things. It's just that I think we live for them.

btw, my heat is at 62 all Winter and my AC is o only at night. :wink:

Peter1469
01-11-2014, 04:54 PM
That's not to say I don't want or appreciate those things. It's just that I think we live for them.

btw, my heat is at 62 all Winter and my AC is o only at night. :wink:

Do you like that, or are you saving money?

Mister D
01-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Do you like that, or are you saving money?

It just seems wasteful and soft living to me. Saving $$ is a bonus.

Ayvean
01-11-2014, 08:10 PM
The sheer amount of energy and fossil fuel use we consume simply moving food and power long distances is mindboggling. Localized economies could fix so much , but then there are those huge urban areas that cannot be fed or powered in a sustainable manner

Big urban centers should not exist as they do, it is a result of poor planning, or lack thereof (be it by the private or public sector).

Consumptionism is a term coined in the 1800s. Consumerism has multiple meanings, so consumptionism is my word of choice for the subject matter. And I do not think you understand what I was saying about being in a primitive state, I was talking about socially. Instead of society becoming more philosophical/enlightened their energy is largely focused on appeasing blind wants and desires through consumption of random goods and services. This was the plan of people like Edward Bernays.

donttread
01-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Large cities , especially large costal cities are hold overs from times gone buy. The true cost of transporting power and food and materials in and garbage out is never discussed. How many urban "environmentalist" do we have sitting in 75 degree electric heat eating food that been moved 1,500 miles or more?

Big urban centers should not exist as they do, it is a result of poor planning, or lack thereof (be it by the private or public sector).

Consumptionism is a term coined in the 1800s. Consumerism has multiple meanings, so consumptionism is my word of choice for the subject matter. And I do not think you understand what I was saying about being in a primitive state, I was talking about socially. Instead of society becoming more philosophical/enlightened their energy is largely focused on appeasing blind wants and desires through consumption of random goods and services. This was the plan of people like Edward Bernays.