PDA

View Full Version : Hamas Comes Out Supporting Rebels in Syria

Conley
02-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Leaders of the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas turned publicly against their long-time ally President Bashar al-Assad of Syria on Friday, endorsing the revolt aimed at overthrowing his dynastic rule.

The policy shift deprives Assad of one of his few remaining Sunni Muslim supporters in the Arab world and deepens his international isolation. It was announced in Hamas speeches at Friday prayers in Cairo and a rally in the Gaza Strip.

Hamas went public after nearly a year of equivocating as Assad's army, largely led by fellow members of the president's Alawite sect, has crushed mainly Sunni protesters and rebels.

In a Middle East split along sectarian lines between Shi'ite and Sunni Islam, the public abandonment of Assad casts immediate questions over Hamas's future ties with its principal backer Iran, which has stuck by its ally Assad, as well as with Iran's fellow Shi'ite allies in Lebanon's Hezbollah movement.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/24/us-syria-palestinians-idUSTRE81N1CC20120224

Will this have an effect on the outcome? Is there any military significance here?

Alias
02-24-2012, 06:07 PM
I bet right about now Assad feels like the guy who got paid, all his friends showed up to help drink up his paycheck, and now he wakes up with a hangover and no one to commiserate with.

Peter1469
02-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Wow, I wonder if Hezbollah will be next!

MMC
02-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Not really. As I am sure Hamas doesn't want to get into it with Hezbollah.

MMC
02-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Didn't Hezbollah attack Hamas before they allegedly melted into the Shadows?

Mister D
02-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Hezbollah...Hamas...why doesn't the global elite just open a few Walmarts and put these people to work? They'll have less time to fire rockets and cause trouble.

MMC
02-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Hezbollah...Hamas...why doesn't the global elite just open a few Walmarts and put these people to work? They'll have less time to fire rockets and cause trouble.

Because #1.....they would actually have to work. Then #2. Wal-marts Sell Firecrackers and Bottle Rockets. No sense in giving them any ideas. :grin:

Mister D
02-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Because #1.....they would actually have to work. Then #2. Wal-marts Sell Firecrackers and Bottle Rockets. No sense in giving them any ideas. :grin:

Isn't it weird though how men my age just seem to be able to gather in the street to express their outrage at virtually any time of day?

MMC
02-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Isn't it weird though how men my age just seem to be able to gather in the street to express their outrage at virtually any time of day?

Yeah but don' forget.....just like in the midst of one of their battles. They have to call a time out to go and pray!

Mister D
02-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Yeah, that seems to be the only place they absolutely have to be at a certain time.