PDA

View Full Version : Garlic Tip

Common
01-14-2014, 10:19 PM
For those who may not know. To get the full health benefit and flavor from garlic, whether youre going to slice it dice it or smash it let it sit after its cut for 10-15 minutes, it releases all the allicin which is the healthy part of garlic and the flavor.

Captain Obvious
01-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Pinch between the cheek and gum...

Common
01-14-2014, 10:37 PM
Pinch between the cheek and gum...

I was referring to before you cook it or use it in cooking, I used to eat raw garlic, I never had a blood pressure problem and still dont, but I chew a glove now and then, I think its good for you, might not be but shrug who knows.

Captain Obvious
01-14-2014, 10:46 PM
I was referring to before you cook it or use it in cooking, I used to eat raw garlic, I never had a blood pressure problem and still dont, but I chew a glove now and then, I think its good for you, might not be but shrug who knows.

I buy that pre-chopped shit in a jar. Mostly because I use a lot of it. If I'm doing something special I'll get whole stuff and chop it, but for marinades and whatever, jar stuff it is.

I have limited cooking capacity.

pragmatic
01-14-2014, 11:00 PM
Curiously timely thread.

Had a cluster of garlic that had been sitting too long. And it started to sprout.

So i planted the individual cloves.

They are genuinely growing faster than any plant i have ever seen. No real clue what i am going to end up with....

Dr. Who
01-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Curiously timely thread.

Had a cluster of garlic that had been sitting too long. And it started to sprout.

So i planted the individual cloves.

They are genuinely growing faster than any plant i have ever seen. No real clue what i am going to end up with....You will eventually end up with new garlic. You can actually use the green parts the same way as you use the bulbs. They are milder than the bulbs. Chop finely.

oceanloverOH
01-14-2014, 11:42 PM
Good tip, Common. I adore garlic....but like Captain Obvious, I use the minced garlic in a jar quite often. Mainly because I have trouble with the fine motor skills it takes to chop something so small. Might not get much of a health benefit from the jar stuff.....but damn it tastes good!

Common
01-15-2014, 12:00 AM
Good tip, @Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659). I adore garlic....but like @Captain Obvious (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=3), I use the minced garlic in a jar quite often. Mainly because I have trouble with the fine motor skills it takes to chop something so small. Might not get much of a health benefit from the jar stuff.....but damn it tastes good!

http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/search.aspx?scommand=search&search=hand%2bchopper

Get one of those, chops garlic in two or three hits. You dont need to get one like that and pay that kind of money, they sell cheapers ones that butterfly open for easy cleaning. Those choppers are perfect for chopping onions and garlic especially and other stuff as needed.

I mostly use a santuko or chefs knife to dice garlic though, im used to it and its faster for me to do it that way.