PDA

View Full Version : AP Source: Israel Won't Warn US Before Iran Strike.....

MMC
02-28-2012, 08:59 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) — Israeli officials say they won't warn the U.S. if they decide to launch a pre-emptive strike against Iranian nuclear facilities, according to one U.S. intelligence official familiar with the discussions. The pronouncement, delivered in a series of private, top-level conversations, sets a tense tone ahead of meetings in the coming days at the White House and Capitol Hill.

Israeli officials said that if they eventually decide a strike is necessary, they would keep the Americans in the dark to decrease the likelihood that the U.S. would be held responsible for failing to stop Israel's potential attack. The U.S. has been working with the Israelis for months to convince them that an attack would be only a temporary setback to Iran's nuclear program.

Netanyahu delivered the same message to all the Americans who have traveled to Israel for talks, the U.S. official said.

The White House did not respond to requests for comment. The Pentagon and Office of Director of National Intelligence declined to comment, as did the Israeli Embassy.

The secret warning is likely to worry U.S. officials and begin the high-level meetings with Israel and the U.S. far apart on how to handle Iran.

The behind-the-scenes warning belies the publicly united front the two sides have attempted to craft with the shuttle diplomacy to each other's capitals.

Rogers told CNN on Monday: "I got the sense that Israel is incredibly serious about a strike on their nuclear weapons program. It's their calculus that the administration ... is not serious about a real military consequence to Iran moving forward.

U.S. intelligence and special operations officials have tried to keep a dialogue going with Israel despite the high-level impasse, offering options such as allowing Israel to use U.S. bases in the region to launch such a strike, as a way to make sure the Israelis give the Americans a heads-up, according to the U.S. official and a former U.S. official with knowledge of the communications.

Cooperation has improved on sharing of intelligence in the region, according to one current and one former U.S. official. Israel is providing key information on Syria, for instance, now that the U.S. has closed its embassy and pulled out its diplomats and intelligence officials stationed there, the U.S. official said.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-israel-wont-warn-us-iran-strike-022728116.html
Associated Press – 5 hrs ago<<<<< More Here!

You know things are really starting to get ugly with Iran. Looks like it's only a matter of time now. Anyone think there will be no strikes on Iran?

Conley
02-28-2012, 09:26 AM
It's likely Israel will strike but I keep coming back to the same thing...how are they going to be able to pull this off solo? They just don't have the forces to do it.

In terms of global opinion, this is bs: " to decrease the likelihood that the U.S. would be held responsible for failing to stop Israel's potential attack"

It doesn't matter if they tell us ahead of time or not, that part of the world will absolutely blame the U.S. Not only that, but once the strike is launched and Iran retaliates we'll be drawn into it as well. At that point I guess it'll be considered our job to finish what the Israelis started and make sure the underground nuke facilities are cleared out.

MMC
02-28-2012, 09:46 AM
It's likely Israel will strike but I keep coming back to the same thing...how are they going to be able to pull this off solo? They just don't have the forces to do it.

In terms of global opinion, this is bs: " to decrease the likelihood that the U.S. would be held responsible for failing to stop Israel's potential attack"

It doesn't matter if they tell us ahead of time or not, that part of the world will absolutely blame the U.S. Not only that, but once the strike is launched and Iran retaliates we'll be drawn into it as well. At that point I guess it'll be considered our job to finish what the Israelis started and make sure the underground nuke facilities are cleared out.

We have seen the play. Looks Like they will use Iraq. Plus the Israelis do have unmanned drones for refueling. They are the size of 747's. They may even try from Two points. One in the Sauds land and thru Iraq. As Iraq has no Air Force or Air Defense. Plus the Saud have already given the Israelis the go ahead. Saying they can use them to launch. Course the Sunni will agree. Their Two Mortal Enemies will be fighting each other. While the Saud hides behind those White Sheets they be wearing. :wink:

Conley
02-28-2012, 09:53 AM
We have seen the play. Looks Like they will use Iraq. Plus the Israelis do have unmanned drones for refueling. They are the size of 747's. They may even try from Two points. One in the Sauds land and thru Iraq. As Iraq has no Air Force or Air Defense. Plus the Saud have already given the Israelis the go ahead. Saying they can use them to launch. Course the Sunni will agree. Their Two Mortal Enemies will be fighting each other. While the Saud hides behind those White Sheets they be wearing. :wink:

The Israelis don't have enough tankers to refuel. I looked last time you said this and can't find record of any drones like that can do it. That is the biggest problem...the number of fighters it will take to protect the bombers is huge, and it will take multiple runs back and forth. There are major problems.

MMC
02-28-2012, 11:15 AM
The Israelis don't have enough tankers to refuel. I looked last time you said this and can't find record of any drones like that can do it. That is the biggest problem...the number of fighters it will take to protect the bombers is huge, and it will take multiple runs back and forth. There are major problems.

Were you talking about the Heron TP Drone also known as the Eitan?

Sorry bout that they are as big as a 737.....Here are pics of Model 1 which they have had for some time.

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/aircraft/uav/heron/heron.jpg

First Model.....

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/aircraft/uav/heron/heron_iai_1.jpg

2nd Version.....

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/aircraft/uav/heron/heron_1.jpg

3rd version Model 1......

MMC
02-28-2012, 11:21 AM
http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/aircraft/uav/heron/heron_tp_1.jpg

Heron TP2.....

The MALE UAV, which is based on the original Heron design, has a wingspan of just under 26m, length of 14m, and the aircraft has a maximum takeoff weight of 4650kg with a typical mission payload of 1000kg. The UAV is powered by a 1,200hp Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A turboprop engine that powers a four-blade propeller. The long wingspan and the extra power give the UAV much better endurance, range and altitude than Heron 1.
According to officials the Heron TP has an operational altitude of 45,000ft and is capable of missions of more than 36 hours duration. The UAV has been designed to meet Israel Defence Force (IDF) requirements for a MALE UAV and made its first flights in 2006 at around the time of the Farnborough Air Show.

The Heron TP has a large payload capacity within its central body and can be fitted with a range of sensors. The UAV has a range of datalinks and is supported for both line of sight and beyond line of sight communications.
The HERON TP main features and capabilities are:

Multi mission platform with multiple operational configurations

Large internal volume for a variety of payloads

Simultaneous and flexible operation of payloads

All weather capability

Operation above commercial traffic

Satellite communication for extended range (SATCOM)

Automatic Takeoff and Landing (ATOL) systems for maximal safety

Triple, fully redundant, state-of-the-art avionics

Retractable landing gear

Safe, reliable and easy operation.
http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/aircraft/uav/heron/heron_australia_2.jpg

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/aircraft/uav/heron/heron_australia_3.jpg

MMC
02-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Turkey to Buy $200 Million of Israeli UAVs

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/aircraft/uav/heron/heron_shoval_3_.jpg

Indian Army to Acquire Israeli Heron UAVs

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/aircraft/uav/heron/heron2.jpg

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/aircraft/uav/heron/Heron.html

They have been making version one since 2007.....still think they don't have the capacity to do so now. 36 hr and able to refuel. Plus they may even be able to refuel off a tanker.....huh? :wink:

Conley
02-28-2012, 11:52 AM
:laugh: Dang son, that's a lot of posts!

But those drones can't refuel Israeli Bombers and they don't have enough of those drones to take out the Iranian installations, or do you disagree?

Conley
02-28-2012, 12:02 PM
737 MTOW: 50,000 to 65,000 kg
Eitan MTOW: 4,650 kg

I don't think they have nearly enough of these (they cost 35M a piece) nor can they carry the ordinance to pull this off.

Prove me wrong MMC! I hope you are right and they can do this.

Mister D
02-28-2012, 12:04 PM
truthfully, we don't know what Israel has or what their game plan is.

MMC
02-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Lets not forget those 707's they have as well. Do they have the capacity to make the strike? How many missles can Iran shoot over 45,000 feet up and hit their target? I would think diversionary tactics would be used to offset any special strike missions.

Well thats true.....we don't know what Israel will do. We can only go by what its looking like. But then why even discuss the situation at all. I mean were human we don't know shit for anything until after the fact. Where one then can say. See I was right all along. But I just did not know at the time as I could not read the minds of others.

As we don't know what the Iranians will do. Nor the Saudi. Truthfully we don't even know what our own government will do.

Pretty much the same thing with US Domestic Politics. We don't know who will win elections. We don't know what will happen before the convention. We don't know anything until after the fact about anything. We didnt know what the polticians were thinking when they drafted the bill. Don't know which way any of them will vote either, over a great many issues.

Israel shouldnt even had come out and warned the US about anything. Shouldn't have talked to those that they did to give the remarks they did. Then have Netanyahu turn around and tell the Israeli's No more talks about Iran publicly.

Perhaps we should tell those 4 carrier fleets. Everythings all right. We can't say for certain anything is going to happen so time to bring the boys and girls back home. We wouldn't want to appear like we are ready to respond to anything. Not until we know for certain. Then give us a call.

Might as well call a halt to all the presses. Finall Press Piece Should Read.....No more news Until After the final results are in.

Mister D
02-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Wtf?

jgreer
02-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Cool photos I wouldn't wanna get in the way of those

Conley
02-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Just bustin' your chops bro. It's all speculation...it's fun to try to figure out the strategy and the planning.

MMC
02-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Whats Vegas Odds that Israel Strikes? What are the odds we jump in if Israel moves out?

Conley
02-28-2012, 01:51 PM
If Israel attacks I see 100% probability that we get involved. Iran will retaliate and go after oil installations, Hormuz, and more. They aren't going to limit their retaliation to Israel.