PDA

View Full Version : NFL OWNERS Approve Deal To End Lock-Out.....

MMC
07-22-2011, 09:43 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nfllabor

COLLEGE PARK, Ga. (AP)—NFL owners chatted much of the day, polished off a couple of meals, then overwhelmingly approved a deal to end the lockout.
Commissioner Roger Goodell and the owners expressed hope that their vote would lead to a speedy resolution to the NFL’s first work stoppage since 1987. They called it an equitable deal that improves player safety and allows the sport to prosper even more.
The owners pored over details of the proposed settlement for some nine hours, first breaking for lunch, then sending for dinner before a vote finally was taken. Every team approved it except the Oakland Raiders, who abstained.

Only one problem: The players aren’t ready to join them at the table just yet.
The players said they won’t be rushed into a deal, even with the owners insisting that time is running out to get in a full slate of four preseason games and 16 regular-season contests.

But George Wilson(notes), the player representative for the Buffalo Bills, called the owners’ vote and subsequent news conference “an attempt to break the spirits of our men and to fracture the solidarity that we’ve exemplified thus far.”
Ultimately, the guys felt like this thing is being force-fed to us, that it’s being shoved down our throats,” Wilson told The Associated Press. “And the way everything transpired this evening, in a sense, was trying to add more pressure to the situation and force us to accept this deal without really being able to see all the details of what they voted on.”

“We put our pens down,” Murphy said. “We’ve negotiated. We’ve been negotiating in good faith with the union, we reached agreement on all the key points. They’re voting on the same thing that we ratified.”

Not so, said NFL Players Association chief DeMaurice Smith, who talked with Goodell several times by phone during the day and was informed of the owners’ vote before an official announcement went out. It didn’t take long for Smith to fire off an email to team reps denying it was a done deal.
“Issues that need to be collectively bargained remain open; other issues, such as workers’ compensation, economic issues and end of deal terms, remain unresolved. There is no agreement between the NFL and the players at this time,” Smith wrote.

Already, one game is sure to be lost: The league called off the Hall of Fame exhibition opener, set for Aug. 7 between Chicago and St. Louis.

Looks Like the Owners approved the Deal but the Players did not.....plus the owners will have to wait until 2013 to get 18 games implemented. Should the players accept the deal or not. Plus the owners are saying if the deal is accepted they will not have to have another labor talk for 10 yrs, and that Camps and trades can be opened by Wed. The owners are offering medical for life to.....Thoughts? :-\ :'(

Conley
07-22-2011, 09:46 AM
I read that the players are pissed because the owners slipped in a lot of new clauses at the last moment. That's why it has taken so long for the players to vote, they and their lawyers needed to read the new additions. The owners are trying to back the NFLPA into a corner, we'll see if it works. Personally I just want football to come back ASAP!

MMC
07-22-2011, 09:49 AM
I read that the players are pissed because the owners slipped in a lot of new clauses at the last moment. That's why it has taken so long for the players to vote, they and their lawyers needed to read the new additions. The owners are trying to back the NFLPA into a corner, we'll see if it works. Personally I just want football to come back ASAP!

Sunday Night Football Intro (Bears vs. Falcons) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VreehbOmAA#ws)

Me too....I luv seeing this gal singing all about it. I'm not big into Country. But Faith Hill is smoking hot.

Conley
07-22-2011, 09:55 AM
yeah, check this out:

"This was an obvious power play by owners, who want to pressure players into accepting their latest proposal and see how they respond to public pressure. On Thursday night, the NFL Players Association executive board and 32 player reps opted not to vote on the proposal. Players finally received a copy late Thursday of what the owners had passed, but their initial response wasn't favorable. They think they are being played.

Said one player who was on a conference call with the NFLPA and reps: "What they said they voted on were things we didn't even agree to. Players were ticked off at owners and have just dug a deeper trench.""

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6791952/nfl-owners-put-all-blitz-players

crap >:(

MMC
07-22-2011, 10:37 AM
:'( :'( :'(