PDA

View Full Version : Fruit marinades for grilled pork chops

oceanloverOH
01-27-2014, 01:17 PM
I try my best to stay away from the extra fat in fried foods. How to make pork chops new and exciting? I have found that a fruit marinade goes really well with pork, then a few minutes on the George Foreman Grill and sooooo good! Here are a few marinades that I've tried; going to be really adventurous and try the strawberry one for the first time tonight....a little taste of summer with a foot of snow on the ground!

Marinated Grilled Pork Chops

Need 1 lb thin-cut pork chops. Mix the following ingredients, add to a large ziploc baggie with chops, and marinate in refrigerator for about 4-6 hours. Remove chops and discard marinade and baggie. Grill on GFG about 5 minutes until done.

Garlic and Orange Marinade
2 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
½ cup orange juice
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground black pepper

Asian Pineapple Marinade
¼ cup soy sauce
1 8-oz can crushed pineapple (in juice)
¼ tsp garlic powder
⅛ tsp ground black pepper
¼ cup Splenda brown sugar

Apricot or Peach Marinade
2 Tbsp EVOO
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup sugar-free apricot or peach preserves
¼ cup lemon juice
½ tsp ground ginger

Strawberry Marinade
2 Tbsp EVOO
¼ cup soy sauce
½ cup sugar-free strawberry preserves
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp prepared horseradish
⅛ tsp cayenne pepper

Mister D, do you have an indoor grill? If so, try one of these and let me know what you think.....

Mister D
01-27-2014, 01:20 PM
I have a Foreman but I packed it away in the basement. Just not the same...:undecided:

Mister D
01-27-2014, 01:22 PM
I like the taste of meat. I've become a bit of a minimalist. At times I eat a raw chili pepper with a porkchop or whatever but I don't get adventurous.

oceanloverOH
01-27-2014, 01:28 PM
I have a Foreman but I packed it away in the basement. Just not the same...:undecided:

Well....you could UN-pack it, couldn't you? Or are you moving soon? I thought you might like the strawberry one because of the addition of the horseradish and cayenne....seems like it might have a little kick to it.

oceanloverOH
01-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Codename Section, if you have a GFG, maybe you should try one of these. Man grilling meat = good.

Codename Section
01-27-2014, 01:31 PM
@Codename Section (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=866), if you have a GFG, maybe you should try one of these. Man grilling meat = good.

I'm not afraid of grilling outdoors in winter. I'll grill or use the smoker. :)

Mister D
01-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Well....you could UN-pack it, couldn't you? Or are you moving soon? I thought you might like the strawberry one because of the addition of the horseradish and cayenne....seems like it might have a little kick to it.

Mister D does not eat fruit! :angry: He is a vegetable man.

I hate cleaning it too. It gets yucky.

Peter1469
01-27-2014, 05:35 PM
I have made pork loin chops with pineapple and honey. Bake 25 minutes or until down.

shaarona
01-27-2014, 06:23 PM
I have made pork loin chops with pineapple and honey. Bake 25 minutes or until down.

Try brining your chops or chicken or steak.. with a handful of sea salt and a tablespoon of brown sugar... for a few hours or overnight.

You have to pat them dry before cooking.

Peter1469
01-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Try brining your chops or chicken or steak.. with a handful of sea salt and a tablespoon of brown sugar... for a few hours or overnight.

You have to pat them dry before cooking.

That sounds really good. :smiley:

oceanloverOH
01-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Don't try the strawberry marinade, folks. The soy sauce does NOT complement the strawberry flavor. Bleah. Oh well....gotta have a clunker now and then, I guess.

Mister D
01-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Don't try the strawberry marinade, folks. The soy sauce does NOT complement the strawberry flavor. Bleah. Oh well....gotta have a clunker now and then, I guess.

It happens. Always sucks when it does.

Common
01-29-2014, 12:48 PM
I dont like fruit marinades on anything, its just my taste.

Peter1469
01-29-2014, 05:22 PM
I dont like fruit marinades on anything, its just my taste.

If you get the chance, I would encourage you to give it a taste- from a real cook. You would be surprised.

Dr. Who
01-29-2014, 06:58 PM
I like orange or lemon marinades - the acid is complementary to pork and chicken. Other fruit - not so much. I also like sweet chili sauces with pork and chicken. A little sweet and a little hot, however I always add a little acid. Soya sauce is good if you are going for an Asian flavor - then you may also want to add garlic, ginger and scallion to the marinade. Actually garlic, ginger and scallion are always good - it's the soya that gives it an Asian aspect, along with a couple of shakes of sesame oil, some rice wine and a bit of corn starch. Perfect for a stir fry. oceanloverOH , you could make a sweet chili sauce with a non sugar sweetener and some chopped chili peppers to taste and plenty of chopped garlic and some water. You can make a batch and freeze it in suitable portions. It's usually thickened to the consistency of the creamier salad dressings, but you could do that with a little cornstarch and water when you use it. I always amp up the commercial stuff with a little extra hot sauce, a tsp of soya, extra garlic and some acid and honey. (some is sold thicker and some sold thinner). Makes fantastic wings and ribs. If you ever get a chance to taste the bottled stuff, I'm sure you could figure out the proportions. I cook the wings or ribs with dry seasonings until almost done and then add the sauce. When the sauce is no longer wet, they are done, unless you want to recoat for a stronger flavor.

Common
01-30-2014, 07:59 AM
If you get the chance, I would encourage you to give it a taste- from a real cook. You would be surprised.

Im always willing to give anything a chance peter. Ive had fruit marinated food in several places and none ever really tingled my taste buds.