PDA

View Full Version : Realizing you swim in the same ocean with some of the greatest living beings on Earth

Chloe
01-28-2014, 11:18 AM

Chloe
Super cool picture

truthmatters
wonderful creatures

Heyduke
01-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Living on the coast my entire life, lately the ocean has been grossing me out. Countries around the world used to dump all their nuclear waste in the sea thru the 1960's. Fukushima is still leaking, and probably a lot of other sites. Garbage gyres, raw sewage from over-populated 3rd world countries, industrial run-off, it all grosses me out. I've got access to a surfboard and wetsuit here, and I'm not even going out. Just non-plussed by the ocean lately. Give me an alpine lake or a wild river.

truthmatters
01-28-2014, 11:45 AM
wow what beach?

Chloe
01-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Living on the coast my entire life, lately the ocean has been grossing me out. Countries around the world used to dump all their nuclear waste in the sea thru the 1960's. Fukushima is still leaking, and probably a lot of other sites. Garbage gyres, raw sewage from over-populated 3rd world countries, industrial run-off, it all grosses me out. I've got access to a surfboard and wetsuit here, and I'm not even going out. Just non-plussed by the ocean lately. Give me an alpine lake or a wild river.

It's a shame and hopefully people start to wake up when it comes to things like that.

Heyduke
01-28-2014, 11:47 AM
wow what beach?

Beach sand is chock full of bacteria. It's best not to think about it, maybe.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0729_050729_beachsand.html

Cthulhu
01-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Not gonna lie, I think monsters live in the ocean. I like water I know has a bottom that I can touch or see.

Had a really creepy feeling at night when I was on an aircraft carrier (Bonham Richard to be exact) when I was looking into the deep water. Never felt the same about the oceans since.

nic34
01-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Was that cold water or WHAT? WOW!

Codename Section
01-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Not gonna lie, I think monsters live in the ocean. I like water I know has a bottom that I can touch or see.

Had a really creepy feeling at night when I was on an aircraft carrier (Bonham Richard to be exact) when I was looking into the deep water. Never felt the same about the oceans since.

I hated being on ships for that reason. I like looking at the ocean. Love whales. Don't want to be on the ocean.

When I was a young teen I adopted a whale. Oh what a soft kid I was!

Cthulhu
01-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Was that cold water or WHAT? WOW!

Ocean water is typically around freezing temperature. That is why the man over board drills are such a big deal. After about 6 minutes in the water your survival chances are essentially zero.

Still, I stand by it, there are monsters in the sea. Leviathans we simply haven't found yet, or have chosen not to reveal themselves for their own reasons.

Cthulhu
01-28-2014, 01:37 PM
I hated being on ships for that reason. I like looking at the ocean. Love whales. Don't want to be on the ocean.

Agreed, pretty to sea - when you can sea all of it. Fun to be on - when you can sea all of it. I get a similar feeling at Bear Lake too some times. Only to discover the myth of the Bear. Lots of strange things in Utah.

When I was a young teen I adopted a whale. Oh what a soft kid I was!

...did you name him Willy?

Heyduke
01-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Still, I stand by it, there are monsters in the sea. Leviathans we simply haven't found yet, or have chosen not to reveal themselves for their own reasons.

Flying over the Pacific to the Hawaiian Islands is unsettling. There's nowhere to land for 1,000s of miles. Being eaten by a shark (or a bearsharktipus) is a good death. Falling from the sky inside a large tin can with a bunch of screaming maniacs is not a good death.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/6/69951/1577911-bearsharktopus_bear_shark_octopus_manbearpig_man_b ear_pig.jpg

oceanloverOH
01-28-2014, 02:03 PM
I love the ocean; I am most at home on her warm, sandy shore, watching her. She's majestic, with her tides and waves moving, always moving, sending the waves crashing to the shore. She's the birthplace of all life on earth. She's generous, her bounty feeding millions of people every day. She's beautiful, in places wearing a cloak crystal-clear water that appears to us to be the most impossible shade of aquamarine/turquoise imaginable. In other places, she's impenetrable, wearing a cloak of shining blue-white ice hundreds of feet thick. She's mysterious, hiding who-knows-what in her murkiest depths. And she's dangerous.....you never, EVER turn your back on the ocean.

Cthulhu
01-28-2014, 02:08 PM
I love the ocean; I am most at home on her warm, sandy shore, watching her. She's majestic, with her tides and waves moving, always moving, sending the waves crashing to the shore. She's the birthplace of all life on earth. She's generous, her bounty feeding millions of people every day. She's beautiful, in places wearing a cloak crystal-clear water that appears to us to be the most impossible shade of aquamarine/turquoise imaginable. In other places, she's impenetrable, wearing a cloak of shining blue-white ice hundreds of feet thick. She's mysterious, hiding who-knows-what in her murkiest depths. And she's dangerous.....you never, EVER turn your back on the ocean.

It is why men do not have gills. They do not belong in the depths. I'll stick with my rocks and grassy knoll on land thank you very much.

Peter1469
01-28-2014, 05:52 PM
I have my half-flippers, my goggles, and a watch and camera that will be fine long after I die underwater.

Cthulhu
01-28-2014, 05:56 PM
I have my half-flippers, my goggles, and a watch and camera that will be fine long after I die underwater.

If I have to swim in the ocean, I will need to swim with a grenade I can reach easily. That way I can give the monster who eats me vindictive indigestion.