PDA

View Full Version : Denmark Charges Four in Mohammed Cartoon Terrorist Plot

Conley
03-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Danish prosecutors on Friday charged four people with terrorism for allegedly planning a shooting attack on a newspaper that had printed cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

The four men — Swedes living in Denmark — wanted “to seriously frighten the population” and destabilize Denmark by planning a shooting spree inside the Copenhagen offices of the Jyllands-Posten newspaper, Svend Ulrik Larsen, Denmark’s top prosecutor, said.

The paper published 12 cartoons of the prophet in 2005, sparking riots in Muslim countries and calls for revenge against the Danish publishers and cartoonists.

Larsen said the group traveled to Copenhagen with arms and ammunition, aiming to kill “a larger number of people.”

Swedish and Danish intelligence officials said they have followed the men for months and tailed the their hired car from Stockholm before arresting them at a flat near the Danish capital.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/denmark-charges-4-suspects-in-terror-plot-against-prophet-muhammad-cartoons/2012/03/02/gIQAWFcZmR_story.html

I can't believe they're still going after this newspaper. I thought this could have been another case of a homegrown terror threat but found another article -

"The Danish Intelligence Agency PET said that three of the four men it arrested were Swedish residents who entered the country on Tuesday night.

It identified them as a 44-year-old Tunisian citizen, a 29-year-old Lebanese-born man and a 30-year-old Swedish resident whose origin was not immediately known.

The fourth suspect was a 26-year-old Iraqi asylum seeker living in Copenhagen, while the man arrested in Stockholm was described as a 37-year-old Swede of Tunisian background."

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/15874198

So it's a mixed bag. It's harder to catch these psychos when they're in the country legally.

Peter1469
03-04-2012, 09:31 AM
I wonder when the mass deportations will start?

Conley
03-04-2012, 09:35 AM
I wonder when the mass deportations will start?

I don't know what Denmark's reaction has been through all of this. I would hope that they are sick and tired of this crap and have tightened their laws considerably. The bright spot in this is that at least the authorities were on to the plan for a long time beforehand.

Mister D
03-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Swedes living in Denmark? :rollseyes: They are all Middle Easterners.