PDA

View Full Version : Crusade against Hungary

Mister D
03-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Is this the NR? :huh: I'm getting pleasant surprises everyday. While some neoconish ideas are present here it's stilll quite surprising to see a traditionalist party (i.e. a ture right wing party) defended.

---

In stark contrast to the Left’s timidity in the face of actual authoritarian regimes such as China and Russia, the liberal media’s treatment of Hungary has aggressively crossed the line. Paul Krugman of the New York Times sounded the alarm after Hungary’s conservative Fidesz-KDNP alliance won 68 percent of the seats in Parliament in the 2010 elections. He foresaw a post-Soviet “re-establishment of authoritarian rule (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/12/opinion/krugman-depression-and-democracy.html)” in Hungary. The British Guardian fell into line, describing Hungary’s new prime minister, Viktor Orbán, as an “autocratic leader (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/06/hungary-viktor-orban-faces-protest?INTCMP=SRCH).” The Washington Post, not to be outdone, compared (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/26/AR2010122601791.html) Hungary to Belarus and Putin’s Russia. Not long after, and with great satisfaction, Hungarian émigré professor Charles Gati announced (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/opinion/hungarys-backward-slide.html) in an op-ed in the Times that Hungary is “no longer a Western-style democracy.” Having been drummed out of the West by left-wing editorialists, Hungary became fair game for the next phase of the liberal crusade: U.S. intervention. Slander has turned into absurd policy prescriptions, intent on destroying one of the most electorally effective center-right parties in Europe.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/292541/crusade-against-hungary-marion-smith?pg=1

Conley
03-06-2012, 03:59 PM
"Having been drummed out of the West by left-wing editorialists, Hungary became fair game for the next phase of the liberal crusade: U.S. intervention."

So the 'intervention' being pushed is Radio Free Europe broadcasts, and the 'pushing' consists of three mostly insignificant people writing a letter to encourage the broadcasts?

Mister D
03-06-2012, 04:07 PM
"Having been drummed out of the West by left-wing editorialists, Hungary became fair game for the next phase of the liberal crusade: U.S. intervention."

So the 'intervention' being pushed is Radio Free Europe broadcasts, and the 'pushing' consists of three mostly insignificant people writing a letter to encourage the broadcasts?

The Ambassador to Hungary is insignificant? In any case, this is how it starts, my friend. Moreover, the outcry against developments in Hungary has been ongoing in Europe. If US neos and libs get on board don't ask how something so ridiculous could happen.

Conley
03-06-2012, 04:10 PM
He was ambassador for a few years during the 80s (I googled :grin:).

I would hope that these interventionist jackasses have enough to play with in the form of Syria, but I suppose this could develop over the next few years. As far as I'm concerned Europe can handle it, and of course it doesn't seem there's anything to handle in the first place.

Mister D
03-06-2012, 04:18 PM
He seems like a pretty influential guy who knows his way around at least according to his Wiki page. Moreover, if the NYT, the Guardian, and the Washington Post in addition to plethora of other European outlets are all carrying negative editorials about said developments you know some powerful international interests (be they ideological or otherwise) feel threatened in some way.

IMO, there is nothing to handle. That's why I posted this in the first place. Let Hungarians decide how they will be governed. Why is there any international pressure at all? It seems to happen whenever any government bucks the universalist ideals that drive the Europeane lelites and our own.

Conley
03-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Your points are valid, but I still don't think anything will come of this. Europe is going to have way bigger problems then this in the coming years. In fact, they already do...and once the Euro currency craters the 'One Europe' people will have to confront their failures rather than trying to shoehorn Hungary in.

Mister D
03-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Your points are valid, but I still don't think anything will come of this. Europe is going to have way bigger problems then this in the coming years. In fact, they already do...and once the Euro currency craters the 'One Europe' people will have to confront their failures rather than trying to shoehorn Hungary in.

I hope Europe has lots of "problems" like this. :grin: I agree that this is unlikely to come to anything but only because the current system is in crisis and may well collapse. Good riddance.

RollingWave
03-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Huh? I read through most of those 3 article (espiecally the last one) and non of them said anything about intervention, it points out that Hungary's basically rewriting it's consitution (which is a fact) and that said new constitution seem to be rather lacking in proper check and balance. which makes the claim that it's it's slipping back towards authoritarianism .

Also, Krugman's article got started mostly because Hungary was the only Euro state that balked on signing on to a recent meeting .... despite the fact that they're also begging or money Greece style.

Conley
03-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Huh? I read through most of those 3 article (espiecally the last one) and non of them said anything about intervention, it points out that Hungary's basically rewriting it's consitution (which is a fact) and that said new constitution seem to be rather lacking in proper check and balance. which makes the claim that it's it's slipping back towards authoritarianism .

Also, Krugman's article got started mostly because Hungary was the only Euro state that balked on signing on to a recent meeting .... despite the fact that they're also begging or money Greece style.

Yes, in this case I believe they're pushing for radio propaganda to be played on Hungarian airwaves. It's intervention but minimal at this stage.

Mister D
03-06-2012, 09:13 PM

Like I said earlier, when the NYT, the Washington Post, and the Guardian along with a host of other European outlets lament the developments in Hungary we can be sure that someone's interests (ideological or otherwise) are threatened. It happens every time a political party which rejects the universalist ideology of the western elites attains some power.

RollingWave
03-06-2012, 09:13 PM
meh, the voice of America is allowed to play in China (and I belive Russia) too, if that's intervention then the US have long intervined on just about everyone. Just yesterday the government here is forced to comprimise to the US's demand on opening beef imports (the controversy was mostly on that the US demand we open beef that uses a certain type of chemical in their raising, said chemical is banned by most other countries) because they're typing almost all the rest of the trade talks with it directly.

Mister D
03-06-2012, 09:14 PM
meh, the voice of America is allowed to play in China (and I belive Russia) too, if that's intervention then the US have long intervined on just about everyone.

That's sort of the point, RW.

Conley
03-06-2012, 09:20 PM
meh, the voice of America is allowed to play in China (and I belive Russia) too, if that's intervention then the US have long intervined on just about everyone.

Has the U.S. ever minded its own business about anything? :wink:

MMC
03-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Moreover you can bet the US NGO's are there presuring for that Democracy. I was going to say with the use of the Radio.