PDA

View Full Version : If a team can't handle the media scrutiny of drafting a gay player ....

Cigar
02-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Your team is already a loser on the field.

Retired NFL Receiver Destroys Argument Against Gay Players

http://i0.huffpost.com/gen/1613708/thumbs/n-DONTESTALLWORTH-large570.jpg
FOXBORO, MA - AUGUST 20: Donte' Stallworth #19 of the New England Patriots works out before a preseason game with the Philadelphia Eagles at Gillette Stadium on August 20, 2012 in Foxboro, Massachusetts. (Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images) | Jim Rogash via Getty Images

Former NFL player Donte' Stallworth doesn't buy the argument that an openly gay player would be too distracting for an NFL team to be successful.

In a series of tweets, the retired wide receiver responded to the suggestion -- floated by former NFL coach Herm Edwards -- that intense media attention may discourage teams from drafting gay players.

"Can the players handle the media attention they are going to get when they get the question asked, 'Are you okay with a gay teammate?'" Edwards asked in an ESPN interview Sunday night.

Stallworth, who last played for the New England Patriots, didn't mince words. If a team can't handle the media scrutiny of drafting a gay player, he wrote, "Your team is already a loser on the field."

On Sunday, Michael Sam, a former Missouri defensive lineman, made headlines around the country when he came out as gay. If drafted, as projected, Sam will be the NFL's first openly gay player.

Read Stallworth's full argument, below:

More (w/Tweets): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/10/donte-stallworth-michael-sam_n_4761724.html

Cthulhu
02-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Who cares? So some dude is gay. What is so special about it?

For all this talk about being accepted and not wanting to feel apart from other people, some homosexuals sure make quite a ruckus about how different they are.

Green Arrow
02-11-2014, 02:22 PM
I don't like how everybody's making a big deal about how he's gay. Michael Sam is a badass player, and that should be what we're talking about.

Venus
02-11-2014, 02:31 PM
I don't like how everybody's making a big deal about how he's gay. Michael Sam is a badass player, and that should be what we're talking about.

Michael Sam made it a big deal that he's gay, everyone else is just feeding off of it.

Cthulhu
02-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Michael Sam made it a big deal that he's gay, everyone else is just feeding off of it.

Vultures and morons trying to kick off an agenda with a hollow foundation. By evolutionary dictates, homosexuality will never be the norm or predominate practice.

Green Arrow
02-11-2014, 02:36 PM

Michael Sam was asked a question in an interview and answered it quite simply. He didn't rip off his football uniform to reveal his body painted rainbow and scream about how much he loved dick.

If someone asks you, "Hey, are you gay?" and you say, "Yeah, but it's just like, whatever, not even a big deal," you're not "making it a big deal." The media has made it a big deal, not Michael Sam.

Cthulhu
02-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Michael Sam was asked a question in an interview and answered it quite simply. He didn't rip off his football uniform to reveal his body painted rainbow and scream about how much he loved dick.

If someone asks you, "Hey, are you gay?" and you say, "Yeah, but it's just like, whatever, not even a big deal," you're not "making it a big deal." The media has made it a big deal, not Michael Sam.

That is the irritating thing, the media is inventing an issue that simply isn't there. But don't worry, it will be soon enough. Although I have this feeling it might just disappear too. I think the NFL will clamp down on this crap because of the market share - hyper masculine dudes with little homosexual tolerance. The moments ratings dip down, I think the NFL will flex whatever muscles they have to *poof* this particular issue with regards to sports.

Venus
02-11-2014, 02:52 PM

If his homosexuality wasn't such a big deal, why didn't his family know? They found out the same way the rest of the sports viewing world. When he went public through the media.

I don't care if he rips his uniform off to reveal his rainbow and screams on the highest mountain that he's gay, I don't care if he states he's gay in an interview. Either way, Michael Sam opened the conversation door about his sexuality to the media. Not the other way around.

Green Arrow
02-11-2014, 02:54 PM
If his homosexuality wasn't such a big deal, why didn't his family know? They found out the same way the rest of the sports viewing world. When he went public through the media.

I don't care if he rips his uniform off to reveal his rainbow and screams on the highest mountain that he's gay, I don't care if he states he's gay in an interview. Either way, Michael Sam opened the conversation door about his sexuality to the media. Not the other way around.

If someone asks you if you are gay, the door is opened by them, not by you for answering honestly.

As for his family, they didn't know because he doesn't make a big deal about it. He explained that in the interview. He doesn't walk down the street talking about how gay he is, but if someone asks, he'll tell them.

Codename Section
02-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Who cares? So some dude is gay. What is so special about it?

For all this talk about being accepted and not wanting to feel apart from other people, some homosexuals sure make quite a ruckus about how different they are.

Yeh, I'm really not sure why this merits multiple posts. He's gay. Can he play football? Awesome. Whatevs.

Venus
02-11-2014, 02:57 PM
If someone asks you if you are gay, the door is opened by them, not by you for answering honestly.

As for his family, they didn't know because he doesn't make a big deal about it. He explained that in the interview. He doesn't walk down the street talking about how gay he is, but if someone asks, he'll tell them.

whatever

I don't really care