PDA

View Full Version : Hate Crime Victimization Statistics Show Rise in Anti-Hispanic Crime

Cigar
02-20-2014, 12:39 PM
The Bureau of Justice Statistic’s report on 2012 hate crimes exposes an alarming rise in attacks on a population made up of more than 53 million: Hispanics.

Attacks against the Hispanic community have more than tripled in a year according to an official report released by the Bureau of Justice Statistics. The Hate Crime Victimizations report, a Census-driven study, shows an alarming rise in violent anti-Hispanic crime from 0.6 per 1,000 persons age 12 or older in 2011, to 2.0 per 1,000 in 2012.

The overall total of nonfatal and property hate crime victimizations for the entire study, 293,800, isn’t statistically different to 2004 (the first year for which there is data), however. In other words: the number of hate crimes hasn’t changed—the targets have.

Extremism expert Mark Potok editor-in-chief of the Intelligence Report, a quarterly journal from the Southern Poverty Law Center (http://www.splcenter.org/?ref=logo), pointed to the census projection that white people will become a minority in the U.S. by 2043 to explain the shift in motivations. “It looks like what we’re seeing is a rise in anti-Latino hate crimes and anti-Muslim hate crimes,” he told The Daily Beast. “And those, I think, are pretty clearly related to the continuing and rising anger over country’s demographic changes, the loss of the white majority.”

According to data on Pew Research Hispanic Trends Project (http://www.pewhispanic.org/) from 2013, 51 percent of the 35 million Hispanic adults living in the U.S. are immigrants. While the majority (81 percent) of the Hispanics pooled in the Pew study expressed satisfaction with their current state of living, others live in constant fear of attacks. Stories like the one of a 40-year-old Mexican immigrant on Staten Island who suffered a broken jaw after a 20-year-old swung a scooter at his head, keep the fear alive.

Read more: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/20/hate-crime-victimization-statistics-show-rise-in-anti-hispanic-crime.html

Really ... I wonder if a certain Forum Hispanic expert knows that? :laugh:

Captain Obvious
02-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Those "stats" would show a lot more perspective if [insert color here]-on-white crimes were considered "hate crimes".

Cigar
02-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Those "stats" would show a lot more perspective if [insert color here]-on-white crimes were considered "hate crimes".

Yea ... but who Hates White People? :rollseyes:

Mister D
02-20-2014, 12:49 PM

Besides you?

Captain Obvious
02-20-2014, 12:51 PM

Angry black people.

Mister D
02-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Gee, another race topic from Cigar. Who could have predicted that? :laugh:

Cigar
02-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Angry black people.

No ... really, what do Black People have to be angry about. :shocked:

... and after all you've done for them :laugh:

Cigar
02-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Gee, another race topic from Cigar. Who could have predicted that? :laugh:

You going do something about it? :grin:

Captain Obvious
02-20-2014, 12:53 PM
No ... really, what do Black People have to be angry about. :shocked:

... and after all you've done for them :laugh:

You tell me.

"all you've done" - I haven't done shit to or for black people except treat them like I would any other race/ethnicity.

Maybe black people define "white guilt" through "black blame".

Mister D
02-20-2014, 12:54 PM
You going do something about it? :grin:

besides laugh at you again? Nah. :laugh: