PDA

View Full Version : Why Conservatives Always Lose

Mister D
03-10-2012, 08:47 PM
In our modern Western societies, liberals do all the laughing, and conservatives do all the crying. Liberals may find this an extraordinary assertion, given that over the past century their preferred political parties have spent more time out of power than their conservative rivals, and, indeed, no radical Left party has ever held a parliamentary or congressional majority. Yet, this view is only possible if one regards a Labour or a Democratic party as ‘the Left’, and a Conservative or a Republican party as ‘the Right’—that is, if one considers politics to be limited to liberal politics, and regards the negation of liberalism as a negation of politics. The reality is that in modern Western societies, both ‘the Left’ and ‘the Right’ consist of liberals, only they come in two flavours: radical and less radical. And whether one is called liberal or conservative is simply a matter of degree, not of having a fundamentally different worldview. The result has been that the dominant political outlook in the West has drifted ever ‘Leftwards’. It has been only the speed of the drift that has changed from time to time.

This is not to deny the existence of conservatism. Conservatism is real. This is to say that conservatism, even in its most extreme forms, operates against, and is inevitably dragged along by, this Leftward-drifting background. And this is crucial if we are to have a true understanding of modern conservatism and why conservatives are always losing, even when electoral victories create the illusion that conservatives are frequently winning.

http://www.alternativeright.com/main/the-magazine/why-conservatives-always-lose/

gophangover
04-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Jesus is a liberal, Peace, love and brotherhood. As opposed to the con ideology of war, hate and greed. You know I speak the truth.

Captain Obvious
04-22-2012, 08:08 AM
So Rush Limbaugh is a closet liberal?

gophangover
04-22-2012, 08:49 AM
So Rush Limbaugh is a closet liberal?

Sacrilege!

Mister D
04-22-2012, 08:52 AM
You're all liberals.

MMC
04-22-2012, 08:53 AM
I agree D.....conservatism should be about common sense and with the numbers game.

gophangover
04-22-2012, 09:02 AM
I agree D.....conservatism should be about common sense and with the numbers game.

Shoulda woulda coulda.....

Ya know, I've been accused of being a conservative because I have guns, believe in God and a balanced budget. Seems like everybody is expected to be extremely left or right these days, that's why I became an Independent.

Mister D
04-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Shoulda woulda coulda.....

Ya know, I've been accused of being a conservative because I have guns, believe in God and a balanced budget. Seems like everybody is expected to be extremely left or right these days, that's why I became an Independent.

There is no "extreme" right or left of any significance.

gophangover
04-22-2012, 09:20 AM
There is no "extreme" right or left of any significance.

Yeah you're right Santorum and Barney are on their way out. Now if we can only get rid of the rest of the big spenders.

Mister D
04-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Yeah you're right Santorum and Barney are on their way out. Now if we can only get rid of the rest of the big spenders.

Santorum and Barney are not even close to offering Americans a genuine political alternative.

gophangover
04-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Santorum and Barney are not even close to offering Americans a genuine political alternative.

Bet ya can't name one that does.

Mister D
04-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Bet ya can't name one that does.

Sigh...that's sort of the point.

gophangover
04-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Sigh...that's sort of the point.

Nader had an alternative, but voters wanted the same ol chit.

Conley
04-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Nader had an alternative, but voters wanted the same ol chit.

Dubya may never have happened were it not for Ralphie. Same with Bubba and Perot I suppose.

gophangover
04-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Dubya may never have happened were it not for Ralphie. Same with Bubba and Perot I suppose.

Shrub would have never happened had it not been for the Supreme Court appointment.

dadakarma
04-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Shrub would have never happened had it not been for the Supreme Court appointment.

Bingo.

Conley
04-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Wouldn't Gore have won Florida if Nader hadn't run? Then the SC never would have been an issue.

dadakarma
04-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Wouldn't Gore have won Florida if Nader hadn't run? Then the SC never would have been an issue.

Gore was automatically entitled to the votes Nader got? Is that what you're saying?

Alias
04-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Gore was automatically entitled to the votes Nader got? Is that what you're saying?

If Nader had not run, most of those voters would have voted for Gore.

gophangover
04-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Nader offers valid rhetoric, but he's no better than the other whores.

Nader never sold out to either party, never was a politician either.

Conley
04-22-2012, 05:32 PM

Of course not, silly billy. :)

gophangover
04-22-2012, 09:04 PM
What I said was, he's a whore, just like all others. If you were interested, you'd research his investment practices.

You might want to ask what his opinion of unions is, when it comes to his own workers.

Again...I love his ideas.

He's just a whore, like all the rest.

Actually whores are pretty honest, you get what you pay for. Which is a hell of a lot better than going on a date, spending a hundred bucks on dinner and a show, and end up with a peck on the cheek and a "call me some time."

Captain Obvious
04-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Actually whores are pretty honest, you get what you pay for. Which is a hell of a lot better than going on a date, spending a hundred bucks on dinner and a show, and end up with a peck on the cheek and a "call me some time."

Agreed

Captain Obvious
04-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Going back to the OP, I guess the implication is (I didn't read the article obviously, why would I do that?) that liberals tend to be popular because we're inherently liberal?

I'm not sure about that, I tend to think a sizable chunk of the in-the-middle crowd is just that, either highly influenced or they just don't give a fuck. I tend to think that those who think in terms of pure liberalism or conservatism are on the fringe, albeit a broad fringe.