PDA

View Full Version : What Is Polycentric Law?

Chris
02-26-2014, 09:51 PM
I recently read about this in Hoppe's The Great Fiction: Property, Economy, Society and the Politics of Decline, where he looks at the advantages of private law along these lines.

What Is Polycentric Law? (http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/what-is-polycentric-law#axzz2uTnqWccp)

Do you like having options when you look for a new bank, dry cleaner, or veterinarian? Of course you do. You want to find the service that will best satisfy your particular demands, after all, and you know that when banks, cleaners, and vets have to compete they have a powerful incentive to make you happy. A monopoly, in contrast, can take its customers for granted.

Polycentric law simply extends that observation from commercial services to government ones. Just as competition makes life better for those who seek banking, cleaning, and pet care services, it can benefit those seeking fair and efficient legal systems. Competition helps consumers and citizens alike.

Polycentric law regards the legal services that governments provide—defining rules, policing their application, and settling disputes—as a ripe field for competition. When a government claims a monopoly in the law, it tends to neglect its subjects' needs. In a polycentric system, however, providers of legal services care more about what consumers want. They have to, if they don't want to go out of business.

Our Polycentric World

But won't competition between legal services lead to chaos? Evidently not. We already live in a world that offers us a degree of choice between the sorts of rules we live under. Polycentric law simply takes note of that fact, sees the good in it, and argues for more of the same....

From Plain Old Law to Polycentric Law

To fully understand the extent of polycentric law, you have to understand the nature of law itself. Legal philosopher Lon Fuller aptly described it as "the enterprise of subjecting human conduct to the governance of rules." So described, the law is not just a service provided by public organizations. It also issues from private sources such as homeowners' associations, businesses, religions, clubs, and myriad other organizations, all of which subject their members' conduct to the governance of rules....

For More Polycentricity

We already live in a somewhat polycentric world. Except when they completely imprison their subjects, governments already compete against each other for financial and human capital. In the long run, as a consequence, governments that fail to supply adequate legal services tend to end up poor and unpopulated. Alas for consumers of governing services, though, that “long run” can last for generations. For governments to become better, faster, they must face more competition....

From a Good World to a Better One

Far from a mere theoretical ideal, polycentric law already shapes our world. We need only appreciate its latent power and invite more of the same. Once more fully realized, polycentric law can give consumers of the law the same benefit that free and open competition already gives to the consumers of banking, cleaning, and veterinary care: excellent consumer service.

Bob
02-26-2014, 09:59 PM
I recently read about this in Hoppe's The Great Fiction: Property, Economy, Society and the Politics of Decline, where he looks at the advantages of private law along these lines.

What Is Polycentric Law? (http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/what-is-polycentric-law#axzz2uTnqWccp)

This much I do know.

Things overall would have to get a lot better.

Chris
03-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Agree. The mere fact that the law would become competitive to provide services the people value would improve the law.

Paperback Writer
03-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Whilst I can certainly agree that such a system could perhaps be preferable, though admitting that it is open to the abuse of those who can pay more receive more justice, I still see the folly in the continuation of this type of exercise. Speaking of the Mises-Hoppe statelessness is as much an exercise in debating how many angels may fit on pin's head. It shan't happen in this lifetime unless one adapts the Berwick approach to buying your stateless society, therefore more effort ought to be put into the acquisition rather than the what comes after, in my humble opinion.

Chris
03-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Whilst I can certainly agree that such a system could perhaps be preferable, though admitting that it is open to the abuse of those who can pay more receive more justice, I still see the folly in the continuation of this type of exercise. Speaking of the Mises-Hoppe statelessness is as much an exercise in debating how many angels may fit on pin's head. It shan't happen in this lifetime unless one adapts the Berwick approach to buying your stateless society, therefore more effort ought to be put into the acquisition rather than the what comes after, in my humble opinion.

it is open to the abuse of those who can pay more receive more justice

But that's what we have now.

Speaking of the Mises-Hoppe statelessness is as much an exercise in debating how many angels may fit on pin's head.

Only because most prefer the comfort of security to the uncertainty of liberty.

The Sage of Main Street
03-01-2014, 04:27 PM
A lawyer is a Mama's Boy who doesn't earn a living until he is 25, living like a 15-year-old until then. STUDENT Is an Anagram of STUNTED. Bitter about what he had done to himself because of having sacrificed the present for the future, he is in denial about that so he can think his desperation for making up for lost time is only a drive to get what he is owed.

He was once a worm; after passing the bar exam, he becomes a snake. He is driven by his emptiness to make as much money as he can, any way he can. Soon dominated by his gold-digging trophy wife, the pseudo-intellectual pussy-whipped wimp lies, cheats, bribes, and spins in order to win his cases, turning torts into tornados.

Paperback Writer
03-01-2014, 05:05 PM
A lawyer is a Mama's Boy who doesn't earn a living until he is 25, living like a 15-year-old until then. STUDENT Is an Anagram of STUNTED. Bitter about what he had done to himself because of having sacrificed the present for the future, he is in denial about that so he can think his desperation for making up for lost time is only a drive to get what he is owed.

He was once a worm; after passing the bar exam, he becomes a snake. He is driven by his emptiness to make as much money as he can, any way he can. Soon dominated by his gold-digging trophy wife, the pseudo-intellectual pussy-whipped wimp lies, cheats, bribes, and spins in order to win his cases, turning torts into tornados.

Yes, horrid, but still vastly more exceptional and successful than you. Better luck next life.