PDA

View Full Version : Supplements and Studies

Peter1469
03-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Supplements and Studies (http://www.anh-usa.org/we-shouldnt-be-studying-supplements-as-drugs/)

A new study shows why supplements should not be studied / tested like pharmaceuticals are.

On February 25, the US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) (http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/) made a remarkable confession: conventional medicine isn’t qualified to properly assess the benefits of dietary supplements.

The group’s Recommendation Statement (http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf14/vitasupp/vitasuppfinalrs.htm) on dietary supplements and the prevention of heart disease and cancer, which evaluated and combined existing studies on multivitamins and individual nutrients, concluded that:

Studies on dietary supplements should be designed differently than drug studies (which are largely random controlled trials, or RCTs);
Existing dietary supplement studies aren’t representative of the general population, and don’t show “true subgroup differences” (e.g., how a nutrient will affect a young Hispanic woman versus an older Caucasian man);
Research should target those who are deficient in the nutrient they are testing instead of patients with optimal nutrient levels (a point that should be self-evident but has always been ignored);
Disagreements on appropriate nutrient levels “hinders progress in understanding potential benefits of dietary supplements”; and
Due to these factors, there is simply not enough evidence—using conventional medicine’s customary approach—to determine whether multivitamins, vitamins A, C, or D (with or without calcium), selenium, and folic acid help prevent heart disease or cancer, or not.

Peter1469
03-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Please note the important caveat: using conventional medicine’s customary approach. Integrative doctors have used the hundreds of thousands of studies on dietary supplements to devise successful healing protocols, but they usually begin with tests to determine deficiencies and they do not generally use a one-pill-or-dose-per-health-problem approach.

Common
03-04-2014, 08:50 PM
I take some herbs and a Natural Senior Males multi vitamin. The supplement business is multi billion dollar business.
Do I believe they will extend your life, probably not. I do think they have a benefit if you take a blood test and determine you lack
a nutrient. I think alot of people piss away alot of money.

Peter1469
03-04-2014, 08:54 PM
The word supplement is the key. You only need it to correct a deficiency. A perfect example are people on statin drugs. They screw up your CO-Q10 levels. In many countries you get a CO-Q10 supplement with your statin drug prescription. You can't take it otherwise.

I take some herbs and a Natural Senior Males multi vitamin. The supplement business is multi billion dollar business.
Do I believe they will extend your life, probably not. I do think they have a benefit if you take a blood test and determine you lack
a nutrient. I think alot of people piss away alot of money.

Mister D
03-04-2014, 09:07 PM
I only take D3 and only in the Winter.

Mister D
03-04-2014, 09:11 PM
Added more fish to my diet recently as well. Only wild caught. I have a some mercury concerns so I will just add it to my rotation: beef, pork, poultry, fish, in turn.

Peter1469
03-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Added more fish to my diet recently as well. Only wild caught. I have a some mercury concerns so I will just add it to my rotation: beef, pork, poultry, fish, in turn. I would also watch out for Pacific fish- don't get Fuked.

I use Krill oil as a supplement- as clean as you are going to get underwater.

Peter1469
03-04-2014, 09:33 PM
I only take D3 and only in the Winter.

I take CO-Q10 because my dad died of heart disease.

Mister D
03-04-2014, 09:34 PM
I would also watch out for Pacific fish- don't get Fuked.

I last ate Alaskan Cod. I' pretty new to fish though.

Peter1469
03-04-2014, 09:34 PM
I last ate Alaskan Cod. I' pretty new to fish though.

I love cod. And halibut.

Mister D
03-04-2014, 09:36 PM
I take CO-Q10 because my dad died of heart disease.

Can't hurt, right? I'm healthier than my dad was at my age but I think it's because my brother and I became exercise fanatics at a young age whereas dad started smoking at a young age. lol Quit a long time ago but abuse takes a toll.

Mister D
03-04-2014, 09:38 PM
I love cod. And halibut.

I like it because it's neutral. Tastes like flounder but not as expensive. Was on sale this past weekend so I said why not.

Dr. Who
03-04-2014, 09:39 PM
I love cod. And halibut.

Not crazy about cod, but I love halibut, haddock, catfish and snapper. Some others as well. Not a big fan of salmon, but it depends on how it is cooked. I've been thinking about getting Krill oil - no fishy after taste.

Peter1469
03-04-2014, 09:42 PM
I like it because it's neutral. Tastes like flounder but not as expensive. Was on sale this past weekend so I said why not.

I never bought flounder. Caught a lot of it in the salt water marsh in Louisiana. Even from the shore. I like red fish the best.

Dr. Who
03-04-2014, 09:46 PM
I never bought flounder. Caught a lot of it in the salt water marsh in Louisiana. Even from the shore. I like red fish the best.

My favorite fish are not too boney and very fresh. Anything straight out of the water is fantastic, even if it has bones - though I have a phobia about choking on fish bones. :angry:

Mister D
03-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Not crazy about cod, but I love halibut, haddock, catfish and snapper. Some others as well. Not a big fan of salmon, but it depends on how it is cooked. I've been thinking about getting Krill oil - no fishy after taste.

I was taking fish oil for a while. I never noticed anything.

Peter1469
03-04-2014, 09:55 PM
That is why I like to dress them myself.

My favorite fish are not too boney and very fresh. Anything straight out of the water is fantastic, even if it has bones - though I have a phobia about choking on fish bones. :angry:

Peter1469
03-04-2014, 09:56 PM
I was taking fish oil for a while. I never noticed anything. You shouldn't notice anything.

Mister D
03-04-2014, 09:57 PM
You shouldn't notice anything.

I've heard people say stuff about a fishy aftertaste. It was never on my breath that I ever noticed anyway.

Peter1469
03-04-2014, 10:25 PM
I've heard people say stuff about a fishy aftertaste. It was never on my breath that I ever noticed anyway. The cheaper versions, you may burp a fishy taste up.

Mister D
03-04-2014, 10:35 PM
The cheaper versions, you may burp a fishy taste up.

Forget the name of this one. It was a popular brand around here.

Peter1469
03-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Forget the name of this one. It was a popular brand around here.

Popular = crap typically

Common
03-05-2014, 04:55 AM
I would also watch out for Pacific fish- don't get Fuked.

You need to go read up on krill oil peter, recently they determined men should not take krill oil it creates prostrate cancer. This is a relatively new finding. Seriously the entire recommendation changed.

So many things science tells us is good for us turns out to be a killer. Im very wary and skeptical

Common
03-05-2014, 04:59 AM
Here ya go pete

http://blog.doctoroz.com/in-the-news/new-study-omega-3-acids-and-prostate-cancer

http://healthland.time.com/2013/07/11/hold-the-salmon-omega-3-fatty-acids-linked-to-higher-risk-of-cancer/

There are some that dont believe it, who knows, I always prefer a safe than sorry approach to things I cant really know about

Peter1469
03-05-2014, 06:06 AM
Thanks, I will check it out.

Here ya go pete

http://blog.doctoroz.com/in-the-news/new-study-omega-3-acids-and-prostate-cancer

http://healthland.time.com/2013/07/11/hold-the-salmon-omega-3-fatty-acids-linked-to-higher-risk-of-cancer/

There are some that dont believe it, who knows, I always prefer a safe than sorry approach to things I cant really know about