PDA

View Full Version : Chicken livers

Mister D
03-09-2014, 05:21 PM
So I'm roasting a bird right now. Peter1469 will be proud. non-GMO, humanely raised, organic...I figured that the more local this stuff is the cheaper it is. Anyway, the liver cooked pretty quickly so I took it out and ate it. Pretty intense. not as overpowering as beef liver but it was still strong. Is there a way to make these that will cut that a bit? It's a very inexpensive piece of meat. Maybe breaded and fried over pasta?

Codename Section
03-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Southern people deep fry them. :)

Then you can always go the Japanese route which is good too and fry them at high temps with seasoning.

Peter1469
03-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Chop it very fine and add spices to taste. Mix that with rice or something similar.

Codename Section
03-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Mister D

since you're skinny you can do this every once in a while

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/southern-fried-chicken-livers/

http://images.media-allrecipes.com/userphotos/250x250/01/00/70/1007060.jpg

Peter1469
03-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Looks good.

I will take mine baked. :smiley:

@Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4)

Mister D
03-09-2014, 05:44 PM
@Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4)

Thanks.

Mister D
03-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Looks good.

I will take mine baked. :smiley:

Yeah, it does.

Mister D
03-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Chop it very fine and add spices to taste. Mix that with rice or something similar.

That's a good idea. If I season it well and dice it small over rice it might be tasty.

Peter1469
03-09-2014, 05:46 PM
That's a good idea. If I season it well and dice it small over rice it might be tasty. And good for you.

Dr. Who
03-09-2014, 05:56 PM
That's a good idea. If I season it well and dice it small over rice it might be tasty.

Look up dirty rice - a Louisiana dish. It includes chopped chicken liver, bell peppers, onions, celery and spices.

Codename Section
03-09-2014, 06:07 PM
If I eat them I get a skillet super hot, put a bit of oil down, throw em on the pan, put sesame seeds, soy sauce a bit of garlic salt and if I'm feeling too skinny, butter.

Mister D
03-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Look up dirty rice - a Louisiana dish. It includes chopped chicken liver, bell peppers, onions, celery and spices.

I usually see that with ground beef but liver would work too. That's kinda what I had in mind with Peter's suggestion.

sachem
03-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Throw it out. Tastes best.

Dr. Who
03-09-2014, 06:17 PM
I usually see that with ground beef but liver would work too. That's kinda what I had in mind with Peter's suggestion.

I think that ground beef is an adaptation. Chicken livers or giblets are the original meat ingredient.

Peter1469
03-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Throw it out. Tastes best. You're no fun. :smiley:

Dr. Who
03-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Throw it out. Tastes best.
I see a liver hater in our midst. It's an acquired taste I guess.

sachem
03-09-2014, 06:34 PM
You're no fun. :smiley:I'll just watch you folks enjoy them.

sachem
03-09-2014, 06:34 PM
I see a liver hater in our midst. It's an acquired taste I guess.Never acquired it.

Dr. Who
03-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Never acquired it.

Meh. I never acquired a taste for olives. Each to his or her own.

Peter1469
03-09-2014, 06:37 PM
I'll just watch you folks enjoy them.

There is always Tabasco sauce.

sachem
03-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Meh. I never acquired a taste for olives. Each to his or her own.I don't like olives either. To eat (ch) her own. ;)

sachem
03-09-2014, 07:03 PM
There is always Tabasco sauce.I've survived this long...

Peter1469
03-09-2014, 07:04 PM
I've survived this long...

No sense of adventure? I can make you chicken liver with olives. You'll love it! :smiley:

sachem
03-09-2014, 07:07 PM
No sense of adventure? I can make you chicken liver with olives. You'll love it! :smiley:lol.....

Not that adventurous. :D

Peter1469
03-09-2014, 07:10 PM
lol.....

Not that adventurous. :D

OK.

I won't be swapping my airline tickets out for the Titanic either. :smiley:

sachem
03-09-2014, 07:12 PM
OK.

I won't be swapping my airline tickets out for the Titanic either. :smiley:I'd call you a chicken, but.......

Peter1469
03-09-2014, 07:16 PM
I'd call you a chicken, but.......

Not fair. :wink:

Dr. Who
03-09-2014, 07:24 PM
No sense of adventure? I can make you chicken liver with olives. You'll love it! :smiley:

Some might like that combination. Not me of course. Perhaps with capers instead of olives. I like chicken livers mixed with pork and a touch of beef, some parsley, sage, thyme and onions.

nathanbforrest45
03-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Chicken livers over pasta was Enrico Caruso's favorite dish.

Chopped chicken livers with capers, hard boiled eggs, mayonnaise on toast is also very good.

nathanbforrest45
03-09-2014, 07:54 PM
I'd call you a chicken, but.......

That would be a fowl thing to do

sachem
03-09-2014, 07:58 PM
That would be a fowl thing to doDon't start, Nathan. lol.........

Dr. Who
03-09-2014, 08:10 PM
Chicken livers over pasta was Enrico Caruso's favorite dish.

Chopped chicken livers with capers, hard boiled eggs, mayonnaise on toast is also very good.

Never tried it, but it sounds tasty.

Common
03-10-2014, 12:09 AM
Jewish chopped chicken liver is the best imo. I take them and fry them in a pan on high heat get the crunchy on the outside with lots of fried onions. You can also bake them in a roasting pan with onions, some put patatoes.

My wife wont eat liver of any kind, so I dont make them and I dont order them out either. So I havent had them in a while. Any kind of liver is bad for you, chock full of cholesterol organ meat thing.

Peter1469
03-10-2014, 04:59 AM
Jewish chopped chicken liver is the best imo. I take them and fry them in a pan on high heat get the crunchy on the outside with lots of fried onions. You can also bake them in a roasting pan with onions, some put patatoes.

My wife wont eat liver of any kind, so I dont make them and I dont order them out either. So I havent had them in a while. Any kind of liver is bad for you, chock full of cholesterol organ meat thing.Liver is very good for you (http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-eating-beef-liver-5752.html), if you don't fry it.

Common
03-10-2014, 05:53 AM
Liver is very good for you (http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-eating-beef-liver-5752.html), if you don't fry it.

I think it has good things in it, like B12 and minerals, but it has alot of cholesterol. Remember what the liver does peter, its the bodies filter to filter out all the garbage you put in your system.

Theres alot of articles that talk about the downside of liver. I eat it occaisionally. I eat it fried too.

Captain Obvious
03-10-2014, 06:21 AM
The fact that chicken livers make great catfish bait should tell you everything you need to know about eating them.

Codename Section
03-10-2014, 06:30 AM
I'm hungry and homesick now. Best fried chicken and livers in Mississippi (yes, better than Popeyes by far)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cajuns-fabulous-fried-chicken-gulfport

This is one of those places that you eat at no more than once a month because you will DIE!!! They have the best fried chicken in gulfport (**** 1/2 stars) they have chicken livers (**** stars) gizzards (**** stars) okra, greens, biscuits, rice & gravy, mashed potatoes and everything else that will clog your arteries and kill you with a smile on your face.

Worst of all its a buffet, so you and speed up that death if you have no reason to live.
Parking is ok table space is a premium and you might want to grab one while the other people pay because there is always people eating here.

Its not fancy but will leave a warm rock in your gut that will have you feeling comatose like after Thanksgiving/ You have been warned...

nathanbforrest45
03-10-2014, 06:51 AM
Don't start, Nathan. lol.........

Hey, that was nothing to crow about you know. It was my rather poultry attempt at humor

Peter1469
03-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Cholesterol is not understood well. (http://articles.healthrealizations.com/DaVinciHolisticHealthCenter/2014/03/10/Cholesterol-Deceptions-From-Eggs-to-Statins.aspx?SubscriberEmail=peter1469@aol.com) It actually shows how American doctors are trained rather than educated.

I have said this before. My total cholesterol is over 250. But the HDL is 101. The doctor sees the "high" warning on the test results, and thinking stops. It is too high, regardless of the ration of HDL, LDL, and triglycerides. I don't even discuss it with them anymore. I just say no to their statin drugs.

I think it has good things in it, like B12 and minerals, but it has alot of cholesterol. Remember what the liver does peter, its the bodies filter to filter out all the garbage you put in your system.

Theres alot of articles that talk about the downside of liver. I eat it occaisionally. I eat it fried too.

Mister D
03-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Cholesterol is not understood well. (http://articles.healthrealizations.com/DaVinciHolisticHealthCenter/2014/03/10/Cholesterol-Deceptions-From-Eggs-to-Statins.aspx?SubscriberEmail=peter1469@aol.com) It actually shows how American doctors are trained rather than educated.

I have said this before. My total cholesterol is over 250. But the HDL is 101. The doctor sees the "high" warning on the test results, and thinking stops. It is too high, regardless of the ration of HDL, LDL, and triglycerides. I don't even discuss it with them anymore. I just say no to their statin drugs.

Cholesterol wasn't mentioned on my last blood test. It was for that minor surgery I had. I think the main thing was liver enzymes but the doc said he'd do a complete metabolic profile. They called me about the cholesterol the time before so I guess the levels are wheer they should be. I was eating a lot of eggs so it was high. 8-10 a week which is too much. I cut it back to 4 yolks a week.

Peter1469
03-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Eggs are a perfect food, nutritionally speaking. The cage free eggs have a good Omega 6 and Omega 3 transfatty acid ratio.

Cholesterol wasn't mentioned on my last blood test. It was for that minor surgery I had. I think the main thing was liver enzymes but the doc said he'd do a complete metabolic profile. They called me about the cholesterol the time before so I guess the levels are wheer they should be. I was eating a lot of eggs so it was high. 8-10 a week which is too much. I cut it back to 4 yolks a week.

Mister D
03-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Eggs are a perfect food, nutritionally speaking. The cage free eggs have a good Omega 6 and Omega 3 transfatty acid ratio.

I don't remember which brand of eggs I was eating and if it had the additonal Omega 3s. I think it was Egglands Best. Now I eat Nellie's cage free/free roaming eggs. I still keep it at 4-5 yolks.

nathanbforrest45
03-10-2014, 03:10 PM
http://theshiksa.com/2010/06/07/chopped-liver/

In case you are interested Schmaltz is clarified chicken or goose fat.

Peter1469
03-10-2014, 03:35 PM
http://theshiksa.com/2010/06/07/chopped-liver/

In case you are interested Schmaltz is clarified chicken or goose fat.

That looks good, but way to large of a portion.

nathanbforrest45
03-10-2014, 03:45 PM
That looks good, but way to large of a portion.
Invite a few of your closest friends over. Have the chopped chicken livers on rye toast, sweet and sour red cabbage, noodle kugel http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/noodle-kugel-recipe.html and of course you cannot forget the chicken noodle soup.

The Wash
03-10-2014, 04:43 PM
I'd rather eat them deep fried. Everything's better deep fried.

Peter1469
03-10-2014, 04:44 PM

Pickles!

nathanbforrest45
03-10-2014, 05:14 PM

Chicken Gizzards

Rainbow trout is not better deep fried. The only way to cook rainbow trout is sauted in butter with salt and pepper. Neither is sole. Sole should be poached in white wine and served with a hollandaise sauce, white asparagus and wild rice.

nathanbforrest45
03-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Pickles!

Fried pickles are right up there with chitterlings on my top ten list

Peter1469
03-10-2014, 05:22 PM
That sounds great!

Chicken Gizzards

Rainbow trout is not better deep fried. The only way to cook rainbow trout is sauted in butter with salt and pepper. Neither is sole. Sole should be poached in white wine and served with a hollandaise sauce, white asparagus and wild rice.

Mister D
03-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Pickles!

How can you turn what has no calories into a a greasy mess? It's not right! :angry:

Mister D
03-10-2014, 05:46 PM

You from the south too?

Max Rockatansky
03-10-2014, 05:59 PM

I love chicken liver, but it is rich. High in calories and cholesterol too. I love baking them with the chicken, then dice the liver, giblets and heart and mixing them with canned or powdered chicken gravy for serving over mashed potatoes or rice.

I rarely fry anything anymore. Too many calories and too "heavy" to eat.

Mister D
03-10-2014, 06:00 PM
I love chicken liver, but it is rich. High in calories and cholesterol too. I love baking them with the chicken, then dice the liver, giblets and heart and mixing them with canned or powdered chicken gravy for serving over mashed potatoes or rice.

It's low in calories. It is high in cholesterol though. Real high.

Dr. Who
03-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Chicken Gizzards

Mmm - sounds good.

Dr. Who
03-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Fried pickles are right up there with chitterlings on my top ten list
Chitterlings aka Chitlins - Ew. They are from the wrong side of the small intestine.

Peter1469
03-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Trout is good. No way I would ever fry it.

Dr. Who
03-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Trout is good. No way I would ever fry it.

You would if you were fishing for them, and just pulling them out of the brook or river, and throwing them in a pan with butter over an open fire. Yum.

Peter1469
03-10-2014, 07:58 PM
You would if you were fishing for them, and just pulling them out of the brook or river, and throwing them in a pan with butter over an open fire. Yum.

Well, yes, that way. I was referring to breading them.

Dr. Who
03-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Well, yes, that way. I was referring to breading them.Well breaded they absorb so much more fat - I understand why you might have that view. I eat very few things breaded. I do find that it is difficult to oven bake breaded fish and not risk overcooking. It depends on the fish. The bigger the fish, the easier it is to time properly. Smaller fish or fillets don't fare as well in the oven. FYI I hate overcooked fish.

Mister D
03-10-2014, 08:10 PM
I bake my fish. I like it breaded and fried but it's damn mess.

Peter1469
03-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Me too. But for the smaller cuts, I just use the skillet. I don't eat a lot of fish since I grew up on it. When I was a kid we caught our own in the Gulf of Mexico and we ate fish at least 3 times a week. I have dressed my own and eating it within minutes of catching when we camped out at Grand Isle.

Well breaded they absorb so much more fat - I understand why you might have that view. I eat very few things breaded. I do find that it is difficult to oven bake breaded fish and not risk overcooking. It depends on the fish. The bigger the fish, the easier it is to time properly. Smaller fish or fillets don't fare as well in the oven. FYI I hate overcooked fish.

Dr. Who
03-10-2014, 08:34 PM

Do you flour your fish, dip in egg and then in bread crumbs. If you do, it should not be a mess. If you miss the flour first, the breading will not adhere to the fish and it will be a mess.

Mister D
03-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Do you flour your fish, dip in egg and then in bread crumbs. If you do, it should not be a mess. If you miss the flour first, the breading will not adhere to the fish and it will be a mess.

I don't mean the prep. The odor, the oil residue etc.

Mister D
03-10-2014, 08:36 PM
I very rarely fry, actually. I'll saute onions and garlic of course but that's the extent of it.

Dr. Who
03-10-2014, 08:41 PM
I don't mean the prep. The odor, the oil residue etc. Ah. Well if you use a ceramic coated pan and very little oil, you should be able to avoid the oil residue. Fish, if it is fresh, doesn't have an unpleasant odor. Deep fried fills the air with oil molecules, and if they are fishy, so much the worse. Two or three tablespoons full of oil and a good pan makes for very nice breaded pan fried fish. A good overhead exhaust helps too.

Mister D
03-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Ah. Well if you use a ceramic coated pan and very little oil, you should be able to avoid the oil residue. Fish, if it is fresh, doesn't have an unpleasant odor. Deep fried fills the air with oil molecules, and if they are fishy, so much the worse. Two or three tablespoons full of oil and a good pan makes for very nice breaded pan fried fish. A good overhead exhaust helps too.

I realized that with chicken. Like I said, I rarely fry but once in a while I'm in the mood for Italian style breaded cutlets. I try to use as little as possible.

Peter1469
03-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I almost never bread anything. It seems to be a waste of good food to me.

Dr. Who
03-10-2014, 09:00 PM
I realized that with chicken. Like I said, I rarely fry but once in a while I'm in the mood for Italian style breaded cutlets. I try to use as little as possible.

Frying with minute amounts of oil, especially if it is non-transfat is not particularly unhealthy and certainly preserves the moisture in proteins like fish. Considering your lifestyle, I wouldn't be excessively concerned even if you pan fry once every two weeks. What profit is there to die at 120 and have limited your enjoyment of food? Otherwise become a vegan and have a long, but beige culinary life.

Mister D
03-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Frying with minute amounts of oil, especially if it is non-transfat is not particularly unhealthy and certainly preserves the moisture in proteins like fish. Considering your lifestyle, I wouldn't be excessively concerned even if you pan fry once every two weeks. What profit is there to die at 120 and have limited your enjoyment of food? Otherwise become a vegan and have a long, but beige culinary life.

I'm probably healthier than your average vegan. :wink:

I should probably get a nicer pan. I do fry my eggs. I forgot about that. I only use a small amount of butter. I will actually take the whole bar and grease the pan quickly by rubbig it down. I find I use A LOT less butter that way.

Mister D
03-10-2014, 09:12 PM

Something about Italian style cutlets though.

Dr. Who
03-10-2014, 09:45 PM
I'm probably healthier than your average vegan. :wink:

I should probably get a nicer pan. I do fry my eggs. I forgot about that. I only use a small amount of butter. I will actually take the whole bar and grease the pan quickly by rubbig it down. I find I use A LOT less butter that way.
There are some really good pans out there now. No longer do you have to put up with Teflon garbage. The pros use ceramic coated pans. They are pricey but worth the improvement in non-transference of chemicals.

Peter1469
03-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Something about Italian style cutlets though.

Yes, the very lightly breaded cutlets are the best. Even when it is spices as opposed to wheat.

nathanbforrest45
03-10-2014, 09:55 PM

This is the reason God invented the charcoal grill.

Mister D
03-11-2014, 08:01 AM
There are some really good pans out there now. No longer do you have to put up with Teflon garbage. The pros use ceramic coated pans. They are pricey but worth the improvement in non-transference of chemicals.

They last a while, right? The teflon jobs last a year or so.

Captain Obvious
03-11-2014, 08:27 AM

Breaded, deep-fried zucchini.

Out of this world.

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Breaded, deep-fried zucchini.

Out of this world.

Steamed.

nathanbforrest45
03-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Steamed.

Fried in sesame oil with onions and garlic in a wok.

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 09:26 AM

Steamed with onions and garlic, and sea salt.

nathanbforrest45
03-11-2014, 09:34 AM
When you steam them the essence of the vegetable is taken up into the steam and disbursed away from your body. If you want all then nutrients you must fry them and then consume the sesame oil as well.

nathanbforrest45
03-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Sounded good to me too :grin:

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Steamed with onions and garlic, and sea salt.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=545553#post545553)

sautéed is good

Codename Section
03-11-2014, 09:47 AM
I love sesame oil. And sesame seeds. Dammit. I'm hitting a japanese steak house later!

Captain Obvious
03-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Steamed.

We steam veggies also, steamed cabbage is really, really good - especially the chunky white inner stuff.

Breaded, fried zucchini is still awesome.

nathanbforrest45
03-11-2014, 09:53 AM
I love sesame oil. And sesame seeds. Dammit. I'm hitting a japanese steak house later!

Don't bruise yourself

nathanbforrest45
03-11-2014, 09:56 AM
sautéed is good

I go to a "Asian Fusion" restaurant in Asheville NC that makes the worlds best sauteed green beans. I have tried to recreate this at home but so far have never been able to. They are sauteed in some kind of sesame stir fry sauce. I asked for the recipe but I think they left out a main ingredient, like the beans must be rolled on the thighs of a Chinese virgin or something like that.

Captain Obvious
03-11-2014, 10:00 AM

Sesame oil is supposed to be favored as a personal lubricant by some.

... so I hear. Can't imagine having to smell that for days afterwards.

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 10:18 AM
I need to eat there. I could likely pick out your missing ingredient. Asheville is on my short list for retirement, at least inside the US.

I go to a "Asian Fusion" restaurant in Asheville NC that makes the worlds best sauteed green beans. I have tried to recreate this at home but so far have never been able to. They are sauteed in some kind of sesame stir fry sauce. I asked for the recipe but I think they left out a main ingredient, like the beans must be rolled on the thighs of a Chinese virgin or something like that.

Mister D
03-11-2014, 10:19 AM

You sure know how to kill a good foodie thread. :rollseyes: :laugh:

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Coconut oil is better. Just say'in.

Captain Obvious
03-11-2014, 11:24 AM
You sure know how to kill a good foodie thread. :rollseyes: :laugh:

But seriously, that stuff smells. Strong.

Plus think of mentally associating that with railing the shit out of someone. I'd be chubbing up every time I went to the local Chinese buffet.

:biglaugh:

Codename Section
03-11-2014, 11:25 AM
I gotta ask and Cthulhu and Alyosha forgive me for being crude, but Captain Obvious, what are you doing wrong that she's not wet and you need the oil?

Or are you referring to going up the dirt road?

Captain Obvious
03-11-2014, 11:28 AM
I gotta ask and Cthulhu and Alyosha forgive me for being crude, but @Captain Obvious (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=3), what are you doing wrong that she's not wet and you need the oil?

Or are you referring to going up the dirt road?

LOL! Dude, I said I don't use lubricants - at least oils.

I have some KY for the dirt road but even then rarely, she's gotten seasoned. A little snuff-spit usually does the trick. :wink:

Codename Section
03-11-2014, 11:30 AM
LOL! Dude, I said I don't use lubricants - at least oils.

I have some KY for the dirt road but even then rarely, she's gotten seasoned. A little snuff-spit usually does the trick. :wink:

Ahhh, makes sense now.

Mister D
03-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Dear God...

Codename Section
03-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Dear God...

Now where you thought a thread on baked chicken would end up, eh D?

Captain Obvious
Dear God...

Sorry bro, I'll stop.

Mister D
Now where you thought a thread on baked chicken would end up, eh D?

No. No, I didn't.

Mister D
03-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Sorry bro, I'll stop.

No point now! :laugh:

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 11:38 AM
:facepalm:

Codename Section
03-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Uh, did I mention I make my dirty rice with chicken liver instead of beef?

Captain Obvious
03-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Uh, did I mention I make my dirty rice with chicken liver instead of beef?

Dirty rice, huh?

Codename Section
03-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Dirty rice, huh?

What can I say? I like it dirty.

Captain Obvious
Sorry.

I love the smell of beef liver, fried, breaded. Love the smell.

Flavor, texture - fucking nyet!

Same for chicken livers except the texture is much worse.

Peter1469
Duck has the best liver. By far.

nathanbforrest45
03-11-2014, 11:55 AM
I need to eat there. I could likely pick out your missing ingredient. Asheville is on my short list for retirement, at least inside the US.

Asheville's motto is "If you are too weird for Asheville you are too weird". It reminds me a little of Greenwich Village in NYC, at least the downtown area. It is to say the least "eclectic". There are many restaurants, all within walking distance of each other and more just a short drive down the road.

Just over 1 third of all those working in Asheville work for the federal, state or local government which makes the city extremely liberal (and expensive). I live about an hours drive from Asheville in East Tennessee. I have five plus acres, a 1500 to 1800 square foot house and a view to die for. I paid $158,000.00 in 2006. The same set up in Buncombe County NC was over $350,000.00

Codename Section
03-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Peter1469 you're not moving to North Carolina, you're moving to Scottsville or Charlottesville with the rest of us.

Captain Obvious
03-11-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm not that far from Charlottesville actually.

The UofVA offered me a job a few years back, I turned it down.

Codename Section
03-11-2014, 12:04 PM

Let's do the barbecue thing then. Freeze has great pork and makes his own beer and mead.

Captain Obvious
03-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Let's do the barbecue thing then. Freeze has great pork and makes his own beer and mead.

LOL - I might know this guy in/on another life/forum.

Ask him if he's a member of HBC.

Captain Obvious
03-11-2014, 12:11 PM
I make my own beer also btw, for over 30 years off and on.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/eastms/0914131752a_zps8675dcf0.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/eastms/media/0914131752a_zps8675dcf0.jpg.html)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/eastms/PICT0329.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/eastms/media/PICT0329.jpg.html)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/eastms/PICT0334.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/eastms/media/PICT0334.jpg.html)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/eastms/PICT0369.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/eastms/media/PICT0369.jpg.html)

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 01:01 PM
@Peter1469 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=10) you're not moving to North Carolina, you're moving to Scottsville or Charlottesville with the rest of us.

I might by some land out that way. I have tons of money and nothing to spend it on other than travel. And chicks.

Codename Section
03-11-2014, 01:05 PM
I might by some land out that way. I have tons of money and nothing to spend it on other than travel. And chicks.

You and Al should start a law practice out there. THAT I would like to see.

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 01:34 PM
You and Al should start a law practice out there. THAT I would like to see.

Maybe we will do that. But the land, I should buy it up.

Terminal Lance
03-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Maybe we will do that. But the land, I should buy it up.

Cool. You moving out there, too? It's wicked pretty.

nathanbforrest45
03-11-2014, 02:31 PM

Janitor?

Captain Obvious
03-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Janitor?

Close - CFO

Why you bagging janitors, are they not good enough people for you?

Dr. Who
03-11-2014, 05:35 PM
They last a while, right? The teflon jobs last a year or so.

You can destroy a ceramic pan in the same amount of time if you use high heat, sharp utensils or try to dry fry your food:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkadvice/8913346/The-best-frying-pans-tried-and-tested.html

Max Rockatansky
03-11-2014, 05:52 PM
You can destroy a ceramic pan in the same amount of time if you use high heat, sharp utensils or try to dry fry your food:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkadvice/8913346/The-best-frying-pans-tried-and-tested.html

I have a couple of medium-small "diamond" pans. They are nice, but the size is only good for a couple eggs and a slice of ham. I'd like a larger one for cooking meals and a cover. At the moment, my two large pans are a stainless steel (with lid and 90 degree sides) and a good teflon pan (sloped sides/no lid) that my GF has damaged by using a metal turner instead of a teflon one. I've since scrapped the metal one for more teflon.

Still need a new large frying pan though.

Dr. Who
03-11-2014, 06:26 PM
I have a couple of medium-small "diamond" pans. They are nice, but the size is only good for a couple eggs and a slice of ham. I'd like a larger one for cooking meals and a cover. At the moment, my two large pans are a stainless steel (with lid and 90 degree sides) and a good teflon pan (sloped sides/no lid) that my GF has damaged by using a metal turner instead of a teflon one. I've since scrapped the metal one for more teflon.

Teflon is pretty nasty in terms of the toxins released especially if the pan gets too hot. Even if ceramic doesn't last any longer, it's at least healthier. Let's face it, coated pans are especially useful for cooking eggs and fish/seafood, neither of which need to be cooked at high heat and if you keep plenty of plastic, wooden or other non-metallic utensils around, there is no excuse for using forks, knifes and other metallic utensils in the pans. I have a collection of really good stainless steel pans, with varying degrees of copper/steel thick bottoms. When I want to sear something on higher heat, I use the stainless. Meat lets go of the pan when it forms a crust, so no big deal. Soak the pan a little, use some steel wool and it's good to go. I have a large Kitchenaid Teflon pan that I've had for at least 3 years. Time to get rid of it, because it's starting to deteriorate. I'm now looking for a good large ceramic pan. If I can find the same size pan, the large glass cover that fit both the Teflon pan and the big stainless pan, will come in handy.

Mister D
03-11-2014, 06:26 PM

I'm careful with utensils and rarely use high heat.

Dr. Who
03-11-2014, 06:28 PM
I'm careful with utensils and rarely use high heat.

Some of the ceramic pans come with a lifetime warranty, so long as you don't violate the conditions.

Mister D
03-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Some of the ceramic pans come with a lifetime warranty, so long as you don't violate the conditions.

I'll look on Amazon. Time for some new stuff.

Max Rockatansky
03-11-2014, 06:31 PM
Teflon is pretty nasty in terms of the toxins released especially if the pan gets too hot. Even if ceramic doesn't last any longer, it's at least healthier. Let's face it, coated pans are especially useful for cooking eggs and fish/seafood, neither of which need to be cooked at high heat and if you keep plenty of plastic, wooden or other non-metallic utensils around, there is no excuse for using forks, knifes and other metallic utensils in the pans. I have a collection of really good stainless steel pans, with varying degrees of copper/steel thick bottoms. When I want to sear something on higher heat, I use the stainless. Meat lets go of the pan when it forms a crust, so no big deal. Soak the pan a little, use some steel wool and it's good to go. I have a large Kitchenaid Teflon pan that I've had for at least 3 years. Time to get rid of it, because it's starting to deteriorate. I'm now looking for a good large ceramic pan. If I can find the same size pan, the large glass cover that fit both the Teflon pan and the big stainless pan, will come in handy.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll keep my 13 inch stainless for now but just ordered this pan since it was well rated: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017QHWHA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dr. Who
03-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I'll keep my 13 inch stainless for now but just ordered this pan since it was well rated: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017QHWHA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I read that it was very good, especially considering the price point. If you get a year or three out of it, you have your money's worth - for a coated pan. Might just fit my glass lid too!

Max Rockatansky
03-11-2014, 06:40 PM
I read that it was very good, especially considering the price point. If you get a year or three out of it, you have your money's worth - for a coated pan. Might just fit my glass lid too!

I looked at lids too, but since my stainless steel has one, I decided to stick with that when cooking things needing a lid.

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 07:13 PM
I have all really good cook ware. One is a large pan that takes two burners. That is what I use for breakfast on the weekends!

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Buy individual pieces, not sets.

I'll look on Amazon. Time for some new stuff.

Dr. Who
03-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Buy individual pieces, not sets.

Me too. I buy what I like, but no sets anymore. Did that years ago - got rid of those pots and pans. Now I buy according to what suits my needs.

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Me too. I buy what I like, but no sets anymore. Did that years ago - got rid of those pots and pans. Now I buy according to what suits my needs.

Yes, and you get better quality.

In my divorce I gave the ex most of my old cook-stuff. And bought all new stuff all separate. She watched it all get delivered and then caught on. She high 5ed me and said "well played."

Dr. Who
03-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Yes, and you get better quality.

In my divorce I gave the ex most of my old cook-stuff. And bought all new stuff all separate. She watched it all get delivered and then caught on. She high 5ed me and said "well played."
Sets invariably give you things you don't use and you still have to go out and buy what you need, so there is no point. Who cares if they match anyway?

Peter1469
03-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Sets invariably give you things you don't use and you still have to go out and buy what you need, so there is no point. Who cares if they match anyway? And the sets tend to have a lower quality.

Dr. Who
03-11-2014, 08:10 PM
And the sets tend to have a lower quality.

Well you can spend a small fortune on a set endorsed by ____________ famous chef. Some are pretty high quality, but still you don't get the exact size pots and pans that suit your lifestyle. A gigantic dutch oven is not always useful if you're not making huge stews. They also tend to lack mid and any small sized pans. The large pan usually has straight sides. Not good if you prefer sloped sides. If I want a new pan, I wait for sales.

Max Rockatansky
03-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Sets invariably give you things you don't use and you still have to go out and buy what you need, so there is no point. Who cares if they match anyway?

Agreed. Money can be saved with sets, especially if one is starting from scratch, but I find myself better off buying/replacing exactly what I need.