PDA

View Full Version : Cats vs Dogs

Germanicus
03-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Which is better?

My only pet that was my pet ( I have been forced to take semi-ownership of a couple other pets due to them not having good owners ) was a cat called Spiderman. I had him in Sydney when I was little and he came with us to the country and then dies shortly after. Which caused me to cry.

So I never had a pet again. When I was a teenager I asked for a dog because a heap of my mates had staghounds for hunting kangaroos. I kinda wanted one so I asked my parents if I could keep one and I was not allowed. No pets. Im kinda glad that my parents did not let me get a dog to murder kangaroos with.

As an adult I had to take ownership of a female dog called Bailey. She was a great dog. Staffie cross German Shepard. She got diabetes and I used to have to inject her with this stuff from the vet that I had to keep in the fridge for a few years. Which sucked because I hate needles. She got kinda bad and I had her put down. Which was traumatic. The vet injected her with fluorescent green liquid. And like I was holding her so she wasnt scared. It was bad and Im not so sure now that I should have put her down but she was having regular fits in the backyard and I did not want her to die alone that way.

God.,

So, my Grandparents always had a dog called Tessie when I was a kid and it changed like three times. Which is kinda strange since dogs live longer than a childhood. The first was already old. I think the second jumped the fence and bit someone. And there was a thrird. My aunt also had this messed up cranky dog that bit me on the leg for no reason. the worst thing about visiting my Grandparents was the dogs. They were angry and scary.

So, anyway, I have had girlfriends that have had cats. My favourite cat ever was a black cat named Stuyvesant ( I named him ) . That cat was awesome. He would put fear in the heart of any dog and would not back down from one. I saw him make a num,ber of large dogs run away howling with bleeding faces. He was the coolest. Like he had a real fuck you, independent attitude.

my little sister has a cat called Sexy. He is kind of a pretty boy but cool. And manipulative.

A girl that I was seeing recently was somewhat of a crazy cat lady. She had like six cats. It was strange. I didnt really like the ones that I met.

I used to run this Vacation thing for kids in school holidays and I remember taking a group of kids on a bus to see that Cats and Dogs movie where they are against each other. I thought it was good.

So which is better? Cats or dogs?

I like cats much better. Like dogs are ok I guess but I see them as Caveman Alarm systems. I do not like to hear them bark. Also, they are cranky. Like I was in a sort of bad mood a few months ago and I was walking to a mates house at night. I see ahead there are three pig dogs that are owned by this idiot that I know and they are out on the road. I knew they would try to bite me because I knew the dogs. but I didnt want them to intimidate me so I kept walking at them. I wasnt scared because I was already angry and I knew they would know that and probably not bite me. So I walked at them and they start barking as a come close ( these dogs kill wild pigs ) and I walk right up and the leader off them is trying its best to scare me. i had a hoodie on and hands in pockets and was not threatening them. As I made my way past the three dogs and they were behind me a tinge of fear appeared and the leader bit me on the heel of my shoe. I whirled around and put my fists up ready to punch it down if it tried to jump up at my face/throat and it backed up. And then get this, the dude that owns them, that was clearly watching all of this calls his dogs back to the yard. What a [SNIP]. He let the dogs attack me and called them back when he could see that I was ready to kill them. Fucking freak.

So to me dogs are idiots and I hate when they bark. They are also dangerous. Especially if they are kept to hunt or guard.

What do you prefer? I prefer cats. Easy.

Germanicus
03-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Where I live hunting pigs is a very popular form of entertainment. Rednecks.. Like it is kind of illegal and they have cracked down on illegal hunting of kangaroo, especially with dogs, but pigging is very popular. Like we have magazines like ( I dont know what they are called ) - Hog Shooter, and Pig hunter and on the cover will be some redneck that has just killed a big wild pig. i do not see why these people enjoy killing animals so very much.

So where I live Pig Dogs are a big thing. And guys spend a fortune on them. they buy them breast plates to help protect them when they attack a pig and some even have GPS on their Pig Dogs. Strange right?

edit- Im serious.

Ever seen the movie Razorback?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2tt_X5OZ6U

Where I am from is pretty much like Barter Town really. (:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iGDE1aAFSY

Do you prefer cats too? It is considered a little weak where I am from to like a cat if you are a guy. ( And look at Miss Bacon Buster. It might even be a little soft for a female to some ((: ) Like guys out this way think it is real funny to swerve at a cat and run it over if they can. Mostly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXWDT1xn3CE

Dr. Who
03-14-2014, 09:14 PM
I prefer dogs. They are more social. They actually care that you are home. They are more emotional than cats. Unfortunately they become the result of their upbringing. If they are taught to be aggressive, that is what they will become. Cats on the other hand think that you exist to serve them. You may regard them as a member of your family, but to the cat you are simply a servant with duties. Cats are only happy to see you because they want something. They are not by nature social animals, unless you are talking about lions. You may regard all the winding between your ankles and rubbing their bodies against you as affection, but in reality they are just marking you with scent glands.

Germanicus
03-14-2014, 09:40 PM
I prefer dogs. They are more social. They actually care that you are home. They are more emotional than cats. Unfortunately they become the result of their upbringing. If they are taught to be aggressive, that is what they will become. Cats on the other hand think that you exist to serve them. You may regard them as a member of your family, but to the cat you are simply a servant with duties. Cats are only happy to see you because they want something. They are not by nature social animals, unless you are talking about lions. You may regard all the winding between your ankles and rubbing their bodies against you as affection, but in reality they are just marking you with scent glands.

Yeah, to me a dog is kind of needy. And stupid. I like that cats dont really care. I also like that cats can look after themselves.'

Im not so sure they are entirely without the ability to bond and form genuine friendship with their owners though. I think that you can get certain cats to actually like you and and stuff if you are compatible. But yeah they are manipulative and out for themselves for the most part hey.

Germanicus
03-14-2014, 09:48 PM
Hey, I had a pet goat once. I forgot. Im pretty sure a snake bit him. i got it to eat the lawn because I dont like to mow lawns. And I had a huge backyard at the time. I didnt have him long before the snake got him.

His name was Shahid Afridi.

I think that goats are really cool.

I have been considering becoming a goat herder. I wrote that on the last census that we had. That I was a Goat Herder. I put it on any form that asks what job I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa3QayfLsmo

Stupid snakes. They are everywhere in the summertime here in Australia. And they almost all can kill you. Or your goat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H5we9iNGIA

God I like that song. but it reminds me of Bondi Rescue. And I hate that show.

The Xl
03-14-2014, 09:49 PM
I have both and love both equally. Both have different but equally endearing characteristics.

Dr. Who
03-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Yeah, to me a dog is kind of needy. And stupid. I like that cats dont really care. I also like that cats can look after themselves.'

Im not so sure they are entirely without the ability to bond and form genuine friendship with their owners though. I think that you can get certain cats to actually like you and and stuff if you are compatible. But yeah they are manipulative and out for themselves for the most part hey.

Dogs are not actually stupid. They are pretty bright for the most part. Depending on the breed they are more and less attuned to human emotions. The more domesticated breeds watch your eyes and your face all the time. They get their cues from where you are looking - so if you want them to do something they follow the direction of your gaze. This is an ability that is unique to dogs developed over millennia. They are really funny. They love to "work" with people, especially hunting, but even if you are digging they will try to help. For dogs, play and work are the same thing. They hitched their cart to humanity thousands of years ago - it's why they are considered man's best friend. If you died in your house, your dog would starve for a very long time before he resorted to eating you out of desperation. A cat would start eating you the minute it realized you were dead.

Germanicus
03-14-2014, 10:12 PM
To tell you guys the truth, I do not really think people should keep any pets. I have thought about it and I agree with The Animal Liberation Front ( is that what they are called? I forget ) that people should not keep pets. At all. Animals should be animals. Domesticated animals that are pets should be allowed to die and then after that no more pets.

I kinda want to get a pet American though.

And did you guys know that my old drug dealer looked exactly like the singer from Thristy Merc? I wish I looked like that. They are from Dubbo you know. I thought Mudgee. But Im pretty sure Dubbo. My drug dealer lived in Forbes and Parkes.

But idf people must have an animal it should probably be a cat in my opinion. Whats with dog people anyway? I hate them almost as much as Horse people. And you have no fucking idea how much I hate Horse People. Fuckers. They smell like horses you know.

Get a cat.

Germanicus
03-14-2014, 10:14 PM
Dogs are not actually stupid. They are pretty bright for the most part. Depending on the breed they are more and less attuned to human emotions. The more domesticated breeds watch your eyes and your face all the time. They get their cues from where you are looking - so if you want them to do something they follow the direction of your gaze. This is an ability that is unique to dogs developed over millennia. They are really funny. They love to "work" with people, especially hunting, but even if you are digging they will try to help. For dogs, play and work are the same thing. They hitched their cart to humanity thousands of years ago - it's why they are considered man's best friend. If you died in your house, your dog would starve for a very long time before he resorted to eating you out of desperation. A cat would start eating you the minute it realized you were dead.

I will tell you a secret. For humans work and play is the same thing if you make them believe it. You just need to direct their energy into something that they enjoy. people are a lot like children in many ways.

And yeah, Im kinda hard on dogs. I know most of them are much smarter than I am. And much better people.

edit- Remember that song - Dogs are the Best People? It was on Geffen Rarities. That is a good song. And true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0-yhYOlv0M

Fuck song is awesome. I forgot it.

Germanicus
03-14-2014, 10:24 PM
I also like that cats are clean.

Dogs are filthy. They make me think of germs. Im kinda with the Iranians really. No dogs. I dont care how nice they are. And I think that a cat would beat a dog in a game of chess. Dont you? Mostly. Like they may not be completely stupid but they dont really impress me all that much.

The Xl
03-14-2014, 10:41 PM

While their are certain breeds of dogs that are pretty dumb, some breeds are extremely intelligent. My husky has average obedience intelligence, but her critical thinking and problem solving skills are phenomenal, as is her memory, ability to understand words and their meanings, etc.

The intellect of dogs is highly underrated.

Dr. Who
03-14-2014, 10:48 PM
I also like that cats are clean.

Dogs are filthy. They make me think of germs. Im kinda with the Iranians really. No dogs. I dont care how nice they are. And I thik that a cat would beat a dog in a game of chess. Dont you? Like they mat not be completely stupid but they dont really impress me all that much.
The breed of dog that I have are very clean - much like cats, except they don't use litter boxes and track feces all over your house. The Shiba hates being dirty and will not willingly step in mud puddles. If they do, they spend a lot of time cleaning all of the dirty bits. They also never stink. They also don't over eat, assuming you feed them proper food. I only feed raw meat and bits and pieces of other things to round out the diet. Kuma is now 12 and has the body of a one year old. He doesn't mooch food and doesn't steal food even if it's right in front of his face. And, unlike cats he doesn't destroy furniture. In fact he has one chair that he is allowed to lay upon, so distinguished by a soft furry cover and he will not lay or climb upon any other chair or sofa in the house. If you remove the cover, he will not climb on the chair. He learned that before he was one year old without any force. He was simply told no. Try that with a cat. The minute you aren't looking the cat, if it has claws, will go to work on whatever suits his fancy. Cats are also, in the long run, more expensive than dogs.

Cats are absolute carnivores. Dogs are more omnivorous, so their diet is not as difficult to maintain. Cats end up with more diseases than dogs, resulting from improper diet, because the pet food industry puts grain and vegetables in cat food. By the time cats are 10 or 12, if fed standard cat food, they start developing diabetes, kidney problems, dental issues and vet care is highly expensive. (Cats have a longer life span than dogs) I know far more people who have spent thousands of dollars on cat illnesses, than people who have spent similar amounts on dogs. Usually with dogs it is the overbred types that have issues and they tend to develop those issues early in life.

Germanicus
03-15-2014, 01:08 AM
Are you guys vets or something? You need to be some kind of genius to become a vet in Australia. they are twice as smart as a doctor. The smartest girl I ever knew became a vet.

Codename Section
03-15-2014, 06:46 AM

Haha, true. Except a Siamese. They love their owners like a dog. Alyosha's will ride on her shoulder and follows her everywhere talking to her. It's weird like he's trying to make actual words or something.

I normally hate cats for the reason highlighted above but this cat is cool as shit. Her mother raised them and swears they are all like that.

http://www.petinf.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/siamese-cat-facts-33.jpg

nathanbforrest45
03-15-2014, 07:33 AM
Dogs have masters
Cats have staff

Alyosha
03-15-2014, 08:39 AM
My cat is indeed dog like in that it wants to spend all its time with you, would attack someone that attacked you, and does what you ask it to do.

Scheow is an awesome kitteh.

nathanbforrest45
03-15-2014, 09:43 AM
I had a cat like that once. Her name was Smudge because coat looked as if she had crawled through a pipe and had smudges of dirt in an otherwise all white coat. She was an excellent cat and would climb on the back of my chair and wedge herself between me and the chair back. She would always bring me presents of baby squirrels, mice and birds. She would hide in the shadows when I put my Jack Russell out and attack her at the most inopportune time for the Jack! I really liked that cat. One day the cat simply disappeared. I always suspected my neighbor of trapping her and taking her off somewhere. The cat almost never ever left our yard and he would trap squirrels and get rid of them. I think it wandered into one of his traps one day and he had her killed. I liked my cat a lot more than I liked him.

The cat and the dog would play chase in the house. I keep a basket on the floor that I put magazines in, the cat would jump into the basket and the dog would just sit and wait for the cat to start running again. It was like the basket was "home base" for the cat!

Matty
04-05-2014, 07:25 PM
My sweet little cat came into the bedroom this morning and swatted my orange juice off the bedside table. Smashed the glass and left me a mess to clean up. Today, I like the dog better!

Captain Obvious
04-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Dogs are better pets, friends IMO. We've had a bunch of cats along the way, they're way, way more independent. Friendly and all that, but dogs are more personable.

Some will disagree, I get that. But I'm more of a dog guy and that's marginal - I love all animals.

Peter1469
04-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Cats are more like women.

Dogs are more like men.

Captain Obvious
04-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Cats are more like women.

Dogs are more like men.

If you're a dude and you have to have a cat, get a male.

Male cats are cool, they can hang. Female cats are... female cats. I think you understand.

Dr. Who
04-05-2014, 07:46 PM

Male cats are cool, they can hang. Female cats are... female cats. I think you understand.

I agree about the female cat thing. Female cats are more persnickety and more aloof than male cats. They are also more likely to bite and scratch you when they are through with your attention.

Captain Obvious
04-05-2014, 07:51 PM
I agree about the female cat thing. Female cats are more persnickety and more aloof than male cats. They are also more likely to bite and scratch you when they are through with your attention.

Yeah, male cats bite and scratch (mine does) and are like "bitch, want more?"

Peter1469
04-05-2014, 07:57 PM
I had a cat when I was in law school. He was a grey tabby and acted more like a dog. He would even hide girls ear rings under the corner of a rug (same one all the time) when they were otherwise occupied.

Dr. Who
04-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Yeah, male cats bite and scratch (mine does) and are like "bitch, want more?"

My dog is a Shiba. Shiba's are probably the most cat-like dogs of the dog world, however he despises cats. He and the cat next door will sit for twenty minutes with their eyes slitted at each other. He won't bark at the cat, just give him an evil stare, which is reciprocated, while he waits for that cat to come on our side of the fence. Cats that have had the poor judgment to enter our yard have enjoyed the Shiba scream (sounds like Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon), while he tries to use up all nine of their lives. We have had to rescue several cats, because he would kill them. He's killed raccoons and squirrels, and he isn't that much bigger than a cat himself. The neighbor's cat has only experienced it once and has since been very careful to avoid the yard when he is out. We in turn warn the wildlife before letting him outside.

Captain Obvious
04-05-2014, 08:05 PM
My dog is a Shiba. Shiba's are probably the most cat-like dogs of the dog world, however he despises cats. He and the cat next door will sit for twenty minutes with their eyes slitted at each other. He won't bark at the cat, just give him an evil stare, which is reciprocated, while he waits for that cat to come on our side of the fence. Cats that have had the poor judgment to enter our yard have enjoyed the Shiba scream (sounds like Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon), while he tries to use up all nine of their lives. We have had to rescue several cats, because he would kill them. He's killed raccoons and squirrels, and he isn't that much bigger than a cat himself. The neighbor's cat has only experienced it once and has since been very careful to avoid the yard when he is out. We in turn warn the wildlife before letting him outside.

Yeah, my dog's a digger. Half lab, half snuffelupagus I think, loves chomping critters.

Got lyme disease twice. He's getting up in the years, we just realized. Time flies, he's like 7 or 8 now.

Matty
04-05-2014, 08:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oM-1REJd1A

Dr. Who
04-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Yeah, my dog's a digger. Half lab, half snuffelupagus I think, loves chomping critters.

Got lyme disease twice. He's getting up in the years, we just realized. Time flies, he's like 7 or 8 now.

I'm eternally grateful that mine is not a digger or a fence jumper, or we would have had to add sheet metal below the fence line and increase the height of the fence. I've had diggers and jumpers before though. Escape artists. Had one dog for 18 years. That rascal could jump on top of a four foot high bedroom deck barrier above our garage and walk along the top of it like a circus performer. Gave us a heart attack, since we were leaving for work at the time. Couldn't leave the sliding door open a crack for ventilation after that. He was a real character.

We currently live in an urban area, so when your dog escapes you immediately worry that they will get hit by a car.

Mine's getting on now too - he's going on 12, but still really active.

Captain Obvious
04-05-2014, 08:24 PM
I'm eternally grateful that mine is not a digger or a fence jumper, or we would have had to add sheet metal below the fence line and increase the height of the fence. I've had diggers and jumpers before though. Escape artists. Had one dog for 18 years. That rascal could jump on top of a four foot high bedroom deck barrier above our garage and walk along the top of it like a circus performer. Gave us a heart attack, since we were leaving for work at the time. Couldn't leave the sliding door open a crack for ventilation after that. He was a real character.

We currently live in an urban area, so when your dog escapes you immediately worry that they will get hit by a car.

Mine's getting on now too - he's going on 12, but still really active.

lol! Mine's a dumbass. Let him loose and he takes off like a bat out of hell.

So much that my older boy has a technique for chasing him down through the woods and slide tackling him to get control of him.

Other than that he's great. I like having him around, he's a really good dog. Good tempered, but anti-social enough to keep strangers at bay.

junie
04-05-2014, 08:26 PM
i currently have a cat which we recently adopted when my mother in law passed away...

at first we didn't really want ''a cat'' but because it was her cat, we ended up falling in love with him so we balked at giving him away.

he is a rescue kitty with deformed paws who stays indoors...he is very smart and cute and sweet.

he actually follows me around the house like a puppy dog...

i had always been more of a dog person but generally i always enjoy having a pet either way. :)

Dr. Who
04-05-2014, 08:32 PM
lol! Mine's a dumbass. Let him loose and he takes off like a bat out of hell.

So much that my older boy has a technique for chasing him down through the woods and slide tackling him to get control of him.

Other than that he's great. I like having him around, he's a really good dog. Good tempered, but anti-social enough to keep strangers at bay.

Sounds like he'd probably be a great hunting dog. Hunters all have that tendency/instinct. Mine, believe or not is a hunting breed, for small game. Can't be trusted off leash. I've used a similar technique as your son, when he's gotten loose and is running like a bat out of hell up and down the street.

Captain Obvious
04-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Sounds like he'd probably be a great hunting dog. Hunters all have that tendency/instinct. Mine, believe or not is a hunting breed, for small game. Can't be trusted off leash. I've used a similar technique as your son, when he's gotten loose and is running like a bat out of hell up and down the street.

I dunno, he's not too smart.

I know dudes who breed hunting dogs and I'm always like wow, those dogs know what the fuck they're doing.

I trained him to do a couple things he does well, clearly not taking off like a goofball isn't one of them and I wish I could go back when he was younger and worked on that more.

Dr. Who
04-05-2014, 08:52 PM
I dunno, he's not too smart.

I know dudes who breed hunting dogs and I'm always like wow, those dogs know what the fuck they're doing.

I trained him to do a couple things he does well, clearly not taking off like a goofball isn't one of them and I wish I could go back when he was younger and worked on that more.

He's headstrong. That doesn't necessarily mean he's dumb. Sometimes it takes specific techniques to deal with headstrong dogs. Clearly I don't know them, or mine wouldn't run like an escaped prisoner either, although the breed description does say they can't be trusted off leash, so they are much harder to train in that respect. It is possible because I've seen some off leash - just need to figure out the trick. Food as a method of bribery doesn't work with my dog, but might with yours. My other dogs learned the names of foods that they loved, so they would respond to the word cheese. My current dog eats a raw meat diet, so he's less responsive to food bribes.

The Xl
04-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Dogs are better pets, friends IMO. We've had a bunch of cats along the way, they're way, way more independent. Friendly and all that, but dogs are more personable.

Some will disagree, I get that. But I'm more of a dog guy and that's marginal - I love all animals.

Dogs are more sociable, that's for sure. Love both my dog and cat equally, regardless.

My cat is a total boss. He's this fat as fuck 20lbs black and white cat who has chased huge dogs before while having a no fucks given look on his face.

Total OG.

Dr. Who
04-05-2014, 10:43 PM
Dogs are more sociable, that's for sure. Love both my dog and cat equally, regardless.

My cat is a total boss. He's this fat as fuck 20lbs black and white cat who has chased huge dogs before while having a no fucks given look on his face.

Total OG.

That is normal for cats. They all think that they are the boss. While they are not social by nature, they become that way by nurture, and if there is more than one cat in the house, they fall into some sort of social order. The thing about dogs is that they believe in attitude. That is normal in dog social order, so if a dog is not alpha, he will back off from an alpha dog or even an alpha cat. That's how you can get a Chihuahua bossing around a Lab.

The Xl
04-05-2014, 10:46 PM
That is normal for cats. They all think that they are the boss. While they are not social by nature, they become that way by nurture, and if there is more than one cat in the house, they fall into some sort of social order. The thing about dogs is that they believe in attitude. That is normal in dog social order, so if a dog is not alpha, he will back off from an alpha dog or even an alpha cat. That's how you can get a Chihuahua bossing around a Lab.

Lol, it's like the most awesome and hilarious thing, I swear.

Dr. Who
04-05-2014, 10:59 PM
Lol, it's like the most awesome and hilarious thing, I swear.
It's funny, but it happens with people too! How else would Napoleon have become an emperor?