PDA

View Full Version : Don't Fear The Fat: Experts Question Saturated Fat Guidelines

Captain Obvious
03-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Ok, eggs are healthy now. Wait, just the yolks... or was that the whites? Or are both bad for us now.

Sausage fat's good for you at the moment, run out and gorge up on some before stocks drop.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/03/17/290846811/dont-fear-the-fat-experts-question-saturated-fat-guidelines

As a culture, we tend to suffer from the angel-or-devil mindset. Especially when it comes to food.

And for 40 years now, saturated fat — found in high amounts in meat, cheese and other full-fat dairy products — has been one of our top nutritional demons.

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2014/03/17/fat-c720a1bd93fe322f9701253493040c38bf25ddb9-s2-c85.jpg

Cigar
03-18-2014, 11:00 AM
The Women like Fat Sausage ... sorry you didn't know that already :grin:

Captain Obvious
03-18-2014, 11:05 AM
The Women like Fat Sausage ... sorry you didn't know that already :grin:

http://media3.giphy.com/media/xRX1KqXHrw0c8/giphy.gif

The Xl
03-18-2014, 11:34 AM
A lot of nutritionists seem to differ when it comes to fat, cholesterol, wheat, etc.

Mister D
03-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Just eat a balanced diet and include a lot of vegetables. Best advice there is.

Mister D
03-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Oh, and exercise.

The Xl
03-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Yep. That's your best bet.

Mister D
03-18-2014, 12:20 PM
I would also suggest that you listen to your body. Dairy doesn't agree with some, grains don't agree with others. Never heard of someone having issues digesting meat but wouldn't be surprised by it.

Heyduke
03-18-2014, 05:11 PM
I would also suggest that you listen to your body. Dairy doesn't agree with some, grains don't agree with others. Never heard of someone having issues digesting meat but wouldn't be surprised by it.

That's it right there. A pregnant gopher 'knows' to eat calcium rich weeds. A horse with colic seeks out plants that aid the stomach (like mint).
Have we lost our ability to listen to our own bodies?
That's my philosophy. I've been living in this body for 45 years. I am the authority on what's going on in there, not some guy in a white coat that I drop in to see for 15 minutes.

Ravi
03-18-2014, 05:41 PM
Next up, cigarettes aren't really harmful, it's the pollution from coal burning plants and cars that is giving people cancer.

Has anyone noticed besides me that "bad" things tend to demonize the small potatoes offenders while ignoring corporate poisons?

Heyduke
03-18-2014, 05:48 PM
Next up, cigarettes aren't really harmful, it's the pollution from coal burning plants and cars that is giving people cancer.

Has anyone noticed besides me that "bad" things tend to demonize the small potatoes offenders while ignoring corporate poisons?

I think we've established that tobacco is the Scourge of God. My source: Ad Council commercials with scary music where second hand smoke creeps into an open window and attacks a cute sleeping baby.
I'm with you on the corporate poison thing though. The reason that tobacco is so cancerous is that food safety regulations don't apply and you can spray tobacco leaves with whatever you like and grow it in radioactive Monsanto-laced Dow-chemical laced soil. Perfectly legal.

When I buy a pack, occasionally, it's American Spirit organic. When I go backpacking, I like to take two cans of Copenhagen (why don't they make organic chew? F'ing A)

Mister D
03-18-2014, 05:57 PM

So you're simply incredulous?

Peter1469
03-18-2014, 07:28 PM
There are good fats and bad fats. But there is a lot to it, so I am not going into it here.

Eggs (particularly from free range chickens) are the perfect food, so long as you eat the yoke and the white.

The problem with typical sausages and cured meats aren't the fats, but the nitrates.

Ok, eggs are healthy now. Wait, just the yolks... or was that the whites? Or are both bad for us now.

Sausage fat's good for you at the moment, run out and gorge up on some before stocks drop.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/03/17/290846811/dont-fear-the-fat-experts-question-saturated-fat-guidelines

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2014/03/17/fat-c720a1bd93fe322f9701253493040c38bf25ddb9-s2-c85.jpg

Peter1469
03-18-2014, 07:30 PM

People who don't eat meat for a long time do stop producing the enzymes to properly digest meat, so they can get sick from it.

Heyduke
03-18-2014, 07:36 PM
People who don't eat meat for a long time do stop producing the enzymes to properly digest meat, so they can get sick from it.
gotta ease back into it.

I had chickens for 4 years. They ate every blade of grass in my back yard and crapped all over my patio ( I let the free range during the day while I was gone). I often got drunk and forgot to put them away at night, so they would roost 20 feet up in a rhododendron. Eventually, the racoons ate half of them, though we had many face-offs in the dark when I'd wake up to sqwawking in the back yard with me in my boxers and wooden staff. But, the chickens stopped laying altogether after three years, and I was happy when a meter reader left my gate open and allowed them to escape.

But those eggs were like a superfood

Mister D
03-18-2014, 08:00 PM
There are good fats and bad fats. But there is a lot to it, so I am not going into it here.

Eggs (particularly from free range chickens) are the perfect food, so long as you eat the yoke and the white.

The problem with typical sausages and cured meats aren't the fats, but the nitrates.

Cured meats without nitrates or uncured products like bacon, sausage etc aren't hard to find these days. The bacon I use from humanely raised pigs isn't cured.

Peter1469
03-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Cured meats without nitrates or uncured products like bacon, sausage etc aren't hard to find these days. The bacon I use from humanely raised pigs isn't cured. It is getting easier to find.

Ravi
03-19-2014, 05:49 AM
I think we've established that tobacco is the Scourge of God. My source: Ad Council commercials with scary music where second hand smoke creeps into an open window and attacks a cute sleeping baby.
I'm with you on the corporate poison thing though. The reason that tobacco is so cancerous is that food safety regulations don't apply and you can spray tobacco leaves with whatever you like and grow it in radioactive Monsanto-laced Dow-chemical laced soil. Perfectly legal.

When I buy a pack, occasionally, it's American Spirit organic. When I go backpacking, I like to take two cans of Copenhagen (why don't they make organic chew? F'ing A)
You could grow your own.

The Sage of Main Street
03-19-2014, 04:38 PM
Saturated fat really means meat. The ruling class discourages it because they know that eating meat gives people courage. That is why the oppressive caste system of India only avoided revolution by forbidding their subjects to eat meat.

Nature has a way of re-inforcing itself. Humans still have the pre-historic physiology from the time when killing a wild animal for food took a lot of courage.

The Sage of Main Street
03-19-2014, 04:40 PM
That's it right there. A pregnant gopher 'knows' to eat calcium rich weeds. A horse with colic seeks out plants that aid the stomach (like mint).
Have we lost our ability to listen to our own bodies?
That's my philosophy. I've been living in this body for 45 years. I am the authority on what's going on in there, not some guy in a white coat that I drop in to see for 15 minutes.

Who got his job only because he was a Mama's Boy who lived like a child until he was 26, working without pay for 8 years in college because he was afraid to grow up.

The Sage of Main Street
03-19-2014, 04:46 PM

If oncologists are too stupid to cure cancer, what makes you think they're smart enough to tell us what causes it? Smoking just locates cancer you're doomed to get anyway if it's pre-programmed in your DNA. The people in power lie about it so smokers will pay taxes for them. Also, because the Marlboro Man threatens the Sissies in Suitcoats.