PDA

View Full Version : "Pinkification" of children's toys

Adelaide
03-30-2014, 09:08 AM
For every mother whose daughter goes through the princess phase spurred on by movies and toys, I wish to apologize for the entertainment industry. We are changing. We must. Gender is over-designed into toys, games and play experiences—and it hurts us.

In fact, the prevalence of indicators a toy is for a boy or for a girl is shocking, as a walk through a toy store or the recent Toy Fair 2014 shows. We know the practice of gendering toys creates and maintains stereotypes. Rigid gender lines correlate to lack of female participation in STEM professions, such as computer science, the entry point for game design. And these lines set up lifelong, false notions of what opportunities are available to females in general....

Parents may argue that girls like being addressed as a particular demographic, and social pressures force them to buy “girlie” toys. I’ve heard many swear girls are born from the womb wanting princess dresses. Yet we know this is not entirely true if we look at the history of advertising toys and see how play is represented. What may seem quite “natural” is wrapped in images on television, in games, and in ads.

Ultimately, the “pinkification” of toys is problematic. Girls’ LEGOs are pink and purple, and positioned as being about making cakes. Children learn early on through play objects there are striking differences in goals, opportunities and creative outlets between the sexes. The toy industry has done girls no favors for limiting what can be dreamed. It is no wonder the percentage of women entering highly technical fields such as computer science peaked in the 1980s and has declined ever since: Fewer than 12% of computer science graduates were women in 2011, according to The Computing Research Association. The drop in women in computer science corresponds to the change in the marketing of some important creative and constructive toys.

Why the Pinkification of Children's Toys? (http://www.thedailybeast.com/witw/articles/2014/02/26/why-the-pinkification-of-children-s-toys-hurts-women.html)

I thought it was an interesting article. Recently, they came out with pink Kinder Surprise came out with a new type of product aimed specifically at girls - it was pink and had a "girl toy" inside instead of the standard packaging and toy that they were selling for years. I think that is an example of idiocy. For one thing, most people buy/want them for the chocolate and secondly there was nothing wrong with the toys and puzzles it contained so a change directed to female children seems redundant and kind of insulting.

Peter1469
03-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Here is a discussion of an interesting study (http://www.naeyc.org/content/what-research-says-gender-typed-toys). They ranks toys as strong girl; moderate girl; neutral; moderate boy; strong boy.

Personally, I don't like to see boys discouraged from the male-gender type toys.

Mister D
03-30-2014, 09:44 AM
I had some really cool toy guns back in the early 80s. now they have those stupid orange things on them. :rollseyes:

Green Arrow
03-30-2014, 09:58 AM
I agree with the article's point. It's beyond just children's toys, too. I was happy the first time I saw a "real men wear pink" shirt. I think the genderizing of colors is probably the stupidest thing we've done. It's a fucking color.

Max Rockatansky
03-30-2014, 10:31 AM
I saw a pink camo rifle in the pawn shop the other day. Something like this:
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire/model-597/model-597-pink-camo.aspx
http://www.remington.com/~/media/Images/Firearms/Rimfire/Model-597/Model-597-Pink-Camo/597pinkcamo-prod.ashx

Plus I've noticed several pickups with this sticker on the back window:

http://www.amazon.com/Browning-Window-Decal-Sticker-Raspberry/dp/B00BD3DGUY

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41V5v4ISi%2BL._SY300_.jpg

Dr. Who
03-30-2014, 11:36 AM
I had some really cool toy guns back in the early 80s. now they have those stupid orange things on them. :rollseyes:

No doubt to prevent some overzealous cop from shooting a kid in so called "self-defense".

Mister D
03-30-2014, 12:23 PM
No doubt to prevent some overzealous cop from shooting a kid in so called "self-defense".

Easy for you to say. As I recall, there were several incidents in violent neighborhoods where kids sometimes carry real guns.

Dr. Who
03-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Easy for you to say. As I recall, there were several incidents in violent neighborhoods where kids sometimes carry real guns.

All the more reason not to panic cops when they see a toy gun. Real ones don't come in dayglow orange.

IMPress Polly
03-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Things have to be pink and frilly or they're just not feminine enough for girls, you know? :wink:

It's not just toys. It's all kinds of stuff. They even market you pink guns, which is particularly hilarious and insulting. I mean you wouldn't want to look unfashionable when you're killing someone. :laugh: Any woman who buys a pink gun is definitely more vain than I can relate to.

darroll
03-30-2014, 01:41 PM
Some of the guys will be jealous seeing a pink pistol.

IMPress Polly
03-30-2014, 01:46 PM
I didn't know bronies were that violent. :wink:

Mister D
03-30-2014, 02:28 PM
All the more reason not to panic cops when they see a toy gun. Real ones don't come in dayglow orange.

I agree. Shame though. F'n blacks...

J/K

Sort of...

The Sage of Main Street
03-30-2014, 03:35 PM

So now criminals can put toy-colors on their real guns and get the drop on cops. Thanks, touchy-feely pedophile unisex degenerate scum. Any more bright ideas from that toxic cult?

Dr. Who
03-30-2014, 03:41 PM
If find certain shades of pink particularly loathsome - take for instance Pepto Bismal pink. There's a horrible color.

Mister D
03-30-2014, 03:43 PM
If find certain shades of pink particularly loathsome - take for instance Pepto Bismal pink. There's a horrible color.

It's a soothing color but Pepto later turns your tongue and feces black.

Green Arrow
03-30-2014, 03:46 PM
It's a soothing color but Pepto later turns your tongue and feces black.

I haven't had my tongue turn black, but the first time I had to take Pepto four times in a day (just a couple weeks ago, in fact), that scared the shit (teehee) out of me.

Mister D
03-30-2014, 03:49 PM
I haven't had my tongue turn black, but the first time I had to take Pepto four times in a day (just a couple weeks ago, in fact), that scared the shit (teehee) out of me.

It's useless for the beer runs. I was disappointed.

Dr. Who
03-30-2014, 03:56 PM
It's useless for the beer runs. I was disappointed.
You're better off with Imodium or a generic version (loperamide). Works very quickly and sometimes too well.

Mister D
03-30-2014, 04:02 PM
You're better off with Imodium or a generic version (loperamide). Works very quickly and sometimes too well.

I tried everything for it. none of those products work. That said, Imodium for regular diarrhea works best, IMO.

Dr. Who
03-30-2014, 04:20 PM
I tried everything for it. none of those products work. That said, Imodium for regular diarrhea works best, IMO.

Perhaps if you take it in advance? Of course alcohol is a toxin and irritates the bowel resulting in malabsorbtion of water. This can be exacerbated if you happen to have an intolerance to grain (gluten intolerance) or suffer from some form of IBS. If you can drink spirits without the same result, it might be a gluten intolerance.

Mister D
03-30-2014, 04:33 PM
Perhaps if you take it in advance? Of course alcohol is a toxin and irritates the bowel resulting in malabsorbtion of water. This can be exacerbated if you happen to have an intolerance to grain (gluten intolerance) or suffer from some form of IBS. If you can drink spirits without the same result, it might be a gluten intolerance.

I overindulge on Fridays and Saturdays. That's the problem. I frequently eat wheat products and it's never an issue. Taking it in advance might work but then you will mixing booze and meds. That's OK sometimes but not when you are drinking heavily.

Dr. Who
03-30-2014, 04:48 PM
I overindulge on Fridays and Saturdays. That's the problem. I frequently eat wheat products and it's never an issue. Taking it in advance might work but then you will mixing booze and meds. That's OK sometimes but not when you are drinking heavily.
Well you could try eating bananas and a lot of rice on Fridays and Saturdays. They are very binding foods.

Mister D
03-30-2014, 04:54 PM
Well you could try eating bananas and a lot of rice on Fridays and Saturdays. They are very binding foods.

yeah, fiber helps too. It's annoying but I deal with it.

Peter1469
03-30-2014, 05:18 PM
There is a very nice young lady who shoots an AR 15 (civilian version of the M-16) at the NRA range here in Fairfax. The plastic parts are pink. :smiley:

Things have to be pink and frilly or they're just not feminine enough for girls, you know? :wink:

It's not just toys. It's all kinds of stuff. They even market you pink guns, which is particularly hilarious and insulting. I mean you wouldn't want to look unfashionable when you're killing someone. :laugh: Any woman who buys a pink gun is definitely more vain than I can relate to.

TheInternet
03-30-2014, 09:09 PM
The toy industry responding to market demands is not "limiting what girls can dream".

I highly doubt that 18 year old females picking arts degrees over STEM degrees is related to the pink Legos they played with when they were 4.

Dr. Who
03-30-2014, 09:24 PM
IMO parents should let their children pick the toys that they want to play with and not force any particular convention upon them. Toys do not dictate sexuality.

Max Rockatansky
03-30-2014, 11:10 PM
The toy industry responding to market demands is not "limiting what girls can dream".

I highly doubt that 18 year old females picking arts degrees over STEM degrees is related to the pink Legos they played with when they were 4.

It may be related. Kids are indoctrinated by their parents, relatives, friends and society at large. Hand that four year old girl a doll that says "I love shopping!" and "Math is hard" while teaching boys that engineering and science are men's field's for manly men and girls will grow up thinking they can't handle those fields and boys will grow up pressuring any women who do enter the field to go home and iron their shirts.

TheInternet
04-01-2014, 01:07 PM
It may be related. Kids are indoctrinated by their parents, relatives, friends and society at large. Hand that four year old girl a doll that says "I love shopping!" and "Math is hard" while teaching boys that engineering and science are men's field's for manly men and girls will grow up thinking they can't handle those fields and boys will grow up pressuring any women who do enter the field to go home and iron their shirts.

Do any dolls say "Math is hard"?

Indoctrination by parents is not the fault of toy mfgs.

Captain Obvious
04-01-2014, 01:15 PM
There's been a bizarre relationship with toy marketers and children.

First toys were too male oriented, so they pinked/flowered them up. Then they decided that girls like GI Joe's with boots on, not polo shirts so they went back. Boys like to ez-bake cupcakes also.

This is a great example of over-engineering. We are at the life cycle stage where we are over-thinking shit and fucking up more things than we are solving.

Consumer technology is a great example.

So are cars, and toys.

Life is fucking stupid.

Mister D
04-01-2014, 01:22 PM

How else can a child be raised?

Max Rockatansky
04-01-2014, 06:51 PM

Maximizing their individual gifts instead of stomping on some because of bias.

Mister D
04-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Maximizing their individual gifts instead of stomping on some because of bias.

So you would pretty much leave your child to his/her own devices instead of "indoctrination". "Awesome". :wink:

Dr. Who
04-01-2014, 08:38 PM

Perhaps in an atmosphere of freedom, without predetermining what they should aspire to. Why shouldn't girls play with regular Lego and Tonka trucks - they might also play with dolls. They might grow up to be an architect and have kids. Why shouldn't a boy have a baby doll, but also play with Lego and Tonka. He might grow up to be a pediatrician and a hands on father. Playing with toys really taps into role play. Should we decide in advance what roles our kids will play in society, or let them explore the roles and find the ones that fit.

Mister D
04-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Perhaps in an atmosphere of freedom, without predetermining what they should aspire to. Why shouldn't girls play with regular Lego and Tonka trucks - they might also play with dolls. They might grow up to be an architect and have kids. Why shouldn't a boy have a baby doll, but also play with Lego and Tonka. He might grow up to be a pediatrician and a hands on father. Playing with toys really taps into role play. Should we decide in advance what roles our kids will play in society, or let them explore the roles and find the ones that fit.

Why not let your son wear girls clothes? Or your daughter boys clothes? Why not let little Joey wear a dress to school? Who are we to predetermine what "role" they will play. Who is to judge? Little Joey is his own man. Or woman...whatever the case may be.

Yeah, right.

Peter1469
04-01-2014, 08:49 PM

Studies show that the girls will still play in collaborative ways while the boys will put a doll into a gun shape and "shoot" other playmates. It is in the genes.

Dr. Who
04-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Why not let your son wear girls clothes? Or your daughter boys clothes? Why not let little Joey wear a dress to school? Who are we to predetermine what "role" they will play. Who is to judge? Little Joey is his own man. Or woman...whatever the case may be.

Yeah, right.

Little Joey is unlikely to want to wear a dress to school because none of the other boys wear dresses, but little Josephine might not want to wear one either, since it's easier to play in pants. Kids like freedom to play. Dresses show your underwear. That a real buzz kill on a slide or when rolling around on the floor.

Dr. Who
04-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Studies show that the girls will still play in collaborative ways while the boys will put a doll into a gun shape and "shoot" other playmates. It is in the genes.

Perhaps. It really depends on the age. I remember when my sister was about three. Her best friend was the little boy next door. He loved her floppy baby doll and kept asking for a "beebee" like his friend had which he would cradle.

Mister D
04-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Little Joey is unlikely to want to wear a dress to school because none of the other boys wear dresses, but little Josephine might not want to wear one either, since it's easier to play in pants. Kids like freedom to play. Dresses show your underwear. That a real buzz kill on a slide or when rolling around on the floor.

none of the other boys play with dolls either. We both know you would only allow your children to dress in conformity to our cultural standards. We also know that using a child to buck social standards is cruel and self-centered. Moreover, my earlier point was that children are raised in a culture and in a tradition. They are not "indoctrinated" if that term is to retain any of its negative connotations. When you teach your child to share, for example, is that indoctrination?

Peter1469
04-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Perhaps. It really depends on the age. I remember when my sister was about three. Her best friend was the little boy next door. He loved her floppy baby doll and kept asking for a "beebee" like his friend had which he would cradle.

I would say that isn't in the norm of boy behavior. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

But who knows these days. Public schools are doing their best to eliminate male tendencies and replace them with the feminine. The shame of it is, when these neutered boys become men, no woman will want to mate with them for life. They may marry them and have kids, but at some point the woman will toss the neutered it to the curb being unable to stand the absence of maleness.

Mister D
04-01-2014, 09:20 PM
I would say that isn't in the norm of boy behavior. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

But who knows these days. Public schools are doing their best to eliminate male tendencies and replace them with the feminine. The shame of it is, when this neutered boys become men, no woman will want to mate with them. They may marry them and have kids, but at some point the woman will toss the neutered it to the curb.

Well some might wind up strangling prostitutes and dumping bodies off interstates but, yeah.

Dr. Who
04-01-2014, 09:25 PM

But who knows these days. Public schools are doing their best to eliminate male tendencies and replace them with the feminine. The shame of it is, when this neutered boys become men, no woman will want to mate with them. They may marry them and have kids, but at some point the woman will toss the neutered it to the curb.

I don't think we should neuter male tendencies, but I also don't think it hurts to let them be themselves, nor do I think it hurts to let females be themselves. I don't think we should stereotype anyone from the get go. I think in the long run, boys will be boys and girls will be girls. We don't need to step on their emotional development along the way and limit their growth as human beings. Girls and boys are wired differently, so I don't see how letting them play with whatever they want to play with, will cause them any harm.

Dr. Who
04-01-2014, 09:31 PM
none of the other boys play with dolls either. We both know you would only allow your children to dress in conformity to our cultural standards. We also know that using a child to buck social standards is cruel and self-centered. Moreover, my earlier point was that children are raised in a culture and in a tradition. They are not "indoctrinated" if that term is to retain any of its negative connotations. When you teach your child to share, for example, is that indoctrination?

We don't really know what many little boys would play with, if they had the freedom of choice. Kids are not one trick ponies. One minute they might be playing with a doll and the next with trucks. Joey sees daddy with an infant sibling and wants to imitate that behavior. Is that wrong?

Peter1469
04-01-2014, 09:47 PM
I don't think we should neuter male tendencies, but I also don't think it hurts to let them be themselves, nor do I think it hurts to let females be themselves. I don't think we should stereotype anyone from the get go. I think in the long run, boys will be boys and girls will be girls. We don't need to step on their emotional development along the way and limit their growth as human beings. Girls and boys are wired differently, so I don't see how letting them play with whatever they want to play with, will cause them any harm.

I agree. But the vast majority will be within the "traditional" gender roles. And of those outside those roles, most will grow up and live lives accepted as normal. And I don't mean to say that those that don't are abnormal, I am just trying to categorize.

Peter1469
04-01-2014, 09:50 PM
We don't really know what many little boys would play with, if they had the freedom of choice. Kids are not one trick ponies. One minute they might be playing with a doll and the next with trucks. Joey sees daddy with an infant sibling and wants to imitate that behavior. Is that wrong?

That is not true. There have been studies. There recently has been a boy suspended from school for biting a pop-tart into the shape of a gun and pointing it wherever- and he gets suspended. It is madness. And it will create a decade or more of frustrated women.

Dr. Who
04-01-2014, 10:01 PM
That is not true. There have been studies. There recently has been a boy suspended from school for biting a pop-tart into the shape of a gun and pointing it wherever- and he gets suspended. It is madness. And it will create a decade or more of frustrated women.

I don't disagree with the statement that it is madness, a pop tart is not a gun, but it is also madness to worry excessively if a little boy picks up a doll and imitates behavior that he sees at home. If it is natural and normal for a father to hold his infant child, feed him or her and cradle that child when it is crying, why is it abnormal for a boy child to mimic that behavior with a doll?

Peter1469
04-01-2014, 10:05 PM
I don't disagree with the statement that it is madness, a pop tart is not a gun, but it is also madness to worry excessively if a little boy picks up a doll and imitates behavior that he sees at home. If it is natural and normal for a father to hold his infant child, feed him or her and cradle that child when it is crying, why is it abnormal for a boy child to mimic that behavior with a doll?

The studies I saw (back in college)- the boy didn't treat the doll that way. There were clear irrefutable differences between girls and boys despite all attempts to "erase" the "cultural taint."

That is why you see boys taking the doll they are supposed to play with and bending it into a position that can be used as a gun (and other things for older males).

Girls - collaborative
Males - competitive

Dr. Who
04-01-2014, 10:16 PM
The studies I saw (back in college)- the boy didn't treat the doll that way. There were clear irrefutable differences between girls and boys despite all attempts to "erase" the "cultural taint."

That is why you see boys taking the doll they are supposed to play with and bending it into a position that can be used as a gun (and other things for older males).

Girls - collaborative
Males - competitive
Well most boys will also pull the heads off of dolls, truth be told - they like taking things apart. It really depends on the age of the child. A two or three year old will interact with dolls differently than a four or five year old.

Peter1469
04-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Well most boys will also pull the heads off of dolls, truth be told - they like taking things apart. It really depends on the age of the child. A two or three year old will interact with dolls differently than a four or five year old.

Not in the same manner as girls.

Dr. Who
04-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Not in the same manner as girls.If a boy can hug a teddy bear, or bunny or other stuffed animal, he can also hug a soft bodied doll. Is a boy more masculine if he goes to bed hugging a bunny vs a doll?

Peter1469
04-01-2014, 10:43 PM
If a boy can hug a teddy bear, or bunny or other stuffed animal, he can also hug a soft bodied doll. Is a boy more masculine if he goes to bed hugging a bunny vs a doll?

Yes. But in general, when they play- that is where you see the difference. And modern society is trying to kill that difference. And that will disappoint future women more than anyone else.

Dr. Who
04-01-2014, 10:57 PM
Yes. But in general, when they play- that is where you see the difference. And modern society is trying to kill that difference. And that will disappoint future women more than anyone else.

I don't wish to have boys discouraged from playing with the sort of toys that boys enjoy. That is wrong. At the same time, I don't propose to deprive boys from social role play with a doll, if they so choose. Getting freaked out by an infant child's choice of toys is just silly. Why anyone would want to deprive a child of toy types or try push toys at them that they don't want to play with is ridiculous. If daycares and schools are trying to socially engineer boys, they are wrong. If parents are freaking out because their 3 year old boy wants to cuddle his sister's doll, they are also wrong. If on the other hand he want's to rip the head off the doll, he really needs to understand it's not his toy.

Peter1469
04-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Well, in general the boys don't get into the collaborative play. I think that is great. I understand that others don't.

Dr. Who
04-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Well, in general the boys don't get into the collaborative play. I think that is great. I understand that others don't.

I think that they do, but with completion as well. If one group are ninja turtles and another group are transformers, and they have a play fight, then within each group they are collaborative with a goal. Sports are collaborative, and children are often brought into sports at very early ages.

Peter1469
04-02-2014, 04:42 AM
I think that they do, but with completion as well. If one group are ninja turtles and another group are transformers, and they have a play fight, then within each group they are collaborative with a goal. Sports are collaborative, and children are often brought into sports at very early ages.

What I mean is that the end goal for the boys is not some sort of everyone is even, etc. There are winners and losers. Very different from girls.

Again, I am speaking in generalities.

Max Rockatansky
04-02-2014, 05:53 AM

....but it leaves the field wide open for anyone who isn't a metrosexual!

As it is, peer pressure/society can attempt to change people, but it cannot. What it can do is pressure people to modify their public behavior such as no fighting or a socially-acceptable level of personal hygiene, but it cannot change a person's basic nature.

An extreme example would be homosexuals. People are either gay or they aren't (accepting that some people can go either way). Social pressure can convince them that straight is better and that men should be married to a woman and have children, but that doesn't change who they are. This is why we read about men in their 40s or 50s divorcing their wives to move in with a boyfriend. They didn't "turn" gay. They were always gay. They only came to the realization that their personal happiness supersedes what "modern society" expects of them.

Same goes for guns, "boy's toys", wearing a favorite albeit raggedy old t-shirt in the yard and a host of other things. Regardless of social conditioning, at some point most men will realize that their happiness supersedes what their wives or "modern society" thinks.

Codename Section
04-02-2014, 07:03 AM
I think they are trying to wuss men down so that we're all easier to control.

Max Rockatansky
04-02-2014, 07:11 AM
I think they are trying to wuss men down so that we're all easier to control.

They can try, but people are what they are. You've seen people pressured to say the "right words" but did that change their beliefs? No.

Codename Section
04-02-2014, 07:14 AM
They can try, but people are what they are. You've seen people pressured to say the "right words" but did that change their beliefs? No.

It's everywhere though. Media, schools, slanted studies. Way too many guys are fem'd out. That's good for me because I get more action, but it's still sickening.

Max Rockatansky
04-02-2014, 07:24 AM
It's everywhere though. Media, schools, slanted studies. Way too many guys are fem'd out. That's good for me because I get more action, but it's still sickening.

You're looking at city guys, not country. City people need to be pacified like cattle. Otherwise there'd be rioting in the streets every time a heat wave comes through.

Alyosha
04-03-2014, 12:31 AM
Peter1469

remind me to find the recreation of the 1970's Harvard study done in the late 90's. They found the boys would play with dolls and girls with guns if put in a room with those toys but they played differently. The boys used the dolls violently and the girls created an anthropomorphic "gun".

Alyosha
04-03-2014, 12:35 AM

Metrosexual men are "meh". Not even gay guys want a metrosexual man. We all want a sweaty warrior type but we hate to admit it because the feminists who run our colleges and universities make you feel like a gender traitor if you don't value sensitive men.

/late night musing

Peter1469
04-03-2014, 04:38 AM
I suppose that was the study that I was thinking about. Thanks.

@Peter1469 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=10)

remind me to find the recreation of the 1970's Harvard study done in the late 90's. They found the boys would play with dolls and girls with guns if put in a room with those toys but they played differently. The boys used the dolls violently and the girls created an anthropomorphic "gun".

Peter1469
04-03-2014, 04:40 AM
Metrosexual men are "meh". Not even gay guys want a metrosexual man. We all want a sweaty warrior type but we hate to admit it because the feminists who run our colleges and universities make you feel like a gender traitor if you don't value sensitive men.

/late night musing

Yes, women who claim to want "sensitive" men, usually tire of them and kick them to the curb at some point.

Max Rockatansky
04-03-2014, 08:16 AM
@Peter1469 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=10)

I couldn't find it, but did come across this one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/24/gender-toys-children-toy-preferences-hormones_n_1827727.html

When offered the choice of playing with either a doll or a toy truck, girls will typically pick the doll and boys will opt for the truck. This isn't just because society encourages girls to be nurturing and boys to be active, as people once thought. In experiments, male adolescent monkeys also prefer to play with wheeled vehicles while the females prefer dolls — and their societies say nothing on the matter.

The monkey research, conducted with two different species in 2002 and 2008, strongly suggested a biological explanation for children's toy preferences. In recent years, the question has become: How and why does biology make males (be they monkey or human) prefer trucks, and females, dolls?

....more