PDA

View Full Version : Just watched the movie 'Platoon' again

Libhater
04-01-2014, 06:44 AM
Perhaps my favorite war movie of all time. The reasons I like it over other surreal War/Vietnam movies
like 'Apocalypse Now' for instance is that many of the scenes in Platoon were so real and were so like
the scenes I witnessed or lived through in my combat daze.
Just the scenes of of the guys smoking dope at the base camp during standdown and burning the pots
of human shit with kerosense brought back memories of some of the quieter less hectic times of combat
life.

Many of the chopper scenes brought back vivid memories as well since I was in a support unit with those
same screamin eagles of the 101st as we flew over and into the high country of the Ashau Valley up in I Corp.
Oh how I long for the good ole daze when I could give mamma san a 5 spot for a blowie.

Codename Section
04-01-2014, 06:53 AM
War is a weird thing. It really does change your brain for good and you find yourself reminiscing about times in really fucked up places.

Libhater
04-01-2014, 07:04 AM
War is a weird thing. It really does change your brain for good and you find yourself reminiscing about times in really fucked up places.

I think the reason why me and many other soldiers come back to the states with full blown PTSD
is because of the fast-paced lifestyle we had during combat as compared to readjusting to an
entirely different slower paced style stateside. We were always vigilant in combat where being
on guard..sort of speak was the norm, but here stateside it tends to hurt us whether we are
seeking employment or just learning how to feel normal and or comfortable around our love ones.
For instance: When I was married I couldn't sleep in the same bed with my wife, and it wasn't because
I wasn't attracted to her, no, it was because I thrashed around knocking her off the bed unknowingly.

Codename Section
04-01-2014, 07:08 AM
I think the reason why me and many other soldiers come back to the states with full blown PTSD
is because of the fast-paced lifestyle we had during combat as compared to readjusting to an
entirely different slower paced style stateside. We were always vigilant in combat where being
on guard..sort of speak was the norm, but here stateside it tends to hurt us whether we are
seeking employment or just learning how to feel normal and or comfortable around our love ones.
For instance: When I was married I couldn't sleep in the same bed with my wife, and it wasn't because
I wasn't attracted to her, no, it was because I thrashed around knocking her off the bed unknowingly.

That right there^

I hit the floor 3 nights a week at least.

nic34
04-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Mamma san this azzwipe...

Codename Section
04-01-2014, 07:16 AM
Mamma san this azzwipe...

I wish I had a "mamma san" or a bar or a whorehouse or something to go to. Afghanistan, dude. Unless you want to fuck goats or young men, you're screwed.

Perianne
04-01-2014, 07:22 AM
I really enjoyed Platoon. I cannot imagine people living through that. It is why I have the greatest respect for those who fought.

Newpublius
04-01-2014, 08:12 AM
Platoon the movie featured the 25th Infanty, Tropic Lightning Division, the same units my dad was in.

Codename Section
04-01-2014, 08:15 AM
I really enjoyed Platoon. I cannot imagine people living through that. It is why I have the greatest respect for those who fought.

I saw it and wished I was there. Jungles > Desert

Mister D
04-01-2014, 08:19 AM
It was an idelogical film but I do like it.

Kabuki Joe
04-01-2014, 08:28 AM

...Vietnam haunts me...I wasn't there but from all the horrible things I've heard from people that served there...just a horrible war that made people do what they normally wouldn't do...for me, it would have been a nightmare to be in that conflict...I'm by the book and Vietnam was far from a by the book conflict...the only people I jump in the hole with are Vietnam vets, what a horrible thing to go through...

Mister D
04-01-2014, 09:25 AM
The Battle of Okinawa began today in 1944. US forces suffered approximately 50,000 casualties in a few weeks (14,000 of then KIA). Just some perspective...

darroll
04-01-2014, 01:12 PM
I don't think any of us could afford the Donut Dollies.
What did we make?
$100.00 combat pay, $100.00 pro pay per month.

Refugee
04-07-2014, 05:31 AM
Long ago and far away we called it 'peacekeeping', but it was anything but peaceful!

Akula
04-07-2014, 06:11 AM

I think that's why so many ex military these days are becoming cops when they get out.

They spent years carrying a weapon in a "war zone"and ordering unarmed civilians around, killing people and blowing shit up...when they get home there is little need for those "skills"..except in the police force. Otherwise they'd be working a regular job like a regular person.
Being a cop makes them feel important again.

Codename Section
04-07-2014, 06:38 AM
I think that's why so many ex military these days are becoming cops when they get out.

They spent years carrying a weapon in a "war zone"and ordering unarmed civilians around, killing people and blowing shit up...when they get home there is little need for those "skills"..except in the police force. Otherwise they'd be working a regular job like a regular person.
Being a cop makes them feel important again.

Actually, no. We treated the Iraqis and Afghans 100% better than cops treat us here. Iraqis (ask any vet) had private police/militias and people walked around with AKs. Imagine people doing that in the US. Cops would be shooting the shit out of people. We walked around with these people and talked to them and would show them where and how to point their weapons.

Nothing like here.

Iraqis have more freedoms in some ways than we do, but they also have more fear. They actually accept that and go on living.

Peter1469
04-07-2014, 06:47 AM
I hung out with the sons of Iraq. Of course I was armed. And I was the legal adviser to the contracting officer, so they said we were the safest men in Iraq.

Akula
04-07-2014, 07:07 AM
I hung out with the sons of Iraq. Of course I was armed. And I was the legal adviser to the contracting officer, so they said we were the safest men in Iraq.

Money talks.

Akula
04-07-2014, 07:08 AM
Actually, no. We treated the Iraqis and Afghans 100% better than cops treat us here. Iraqis (ask any vet) had private police/militias and people walked around with AKs. Imagine people doing that in the US. Cops would be shooting the shit out of people. We walked around with these people and talked to them and would show them where and how to point their weapons.

Nothing like here.

Iraqis have more freedoms in some ways than we do, but they also have more fear. They actually accept that and go on living.

Cops....*spit*....Our turn is coming.

Codename Section
04-07-2014, 07:12 AM
For all the progressives bitching and moaning about gun control and letting militias patrol the streets--they did it in Iraq and it worked. Self-policing is a good thing.

When they stopped, AQ got back in.

Peter1469
04-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Money talks.

Lucky for me.

Akula
04-07-2014, 07:30 AM
Lucky for me.

Not so "lucky" for the over 4000 americans killed ( 100,000 wounded) in iraq.

The Sage of Main Street
04-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Perhaps my favorite war movie of all time. The reasons I like it over other surreal War/Vietnam movies like 'Apocalypse Now' for instance is that many of the scenes in Platoon were so real and were so like the scenes I witnessed or lived through in my combat daze. Just the scenes of of the guys smoking dope at the base camp during standdown and burning the pots of human shit with kerosense brought back memories of some of the quieter less hectic times of combat life. Many of the chopper scenes brought back vivid memories as well since I was in a support unit with those same screamin eagles of the 101st as we flew over and into the high country of the Ashau Valley up in I Corp. Oh how I long for the good ole daze when I could give mamma san a 5 spot for a blowie. What got me was their being overrun at the end. We always had that hanging over us, being surrounded and outnumbered at all times.

The Sage of Main Street
04-07-2014, 04:41 PM
I saw it and wished I was there. Jungles > Desert How would you like a leech crawling up your leg to you-know-where?

How would you like to slip on a monsoon-wet rocky trail and foolishly grab for tall but razor-sharp elephant grass?

How would you like every little scratch fill up with pus?

How would you like mud so thick that you get stuck, have to unlace your boot and pull it out of the slime?

Codename Section
04-07-2014, 04:45 PM
How would you like a leech crawling up your leg to you-know-where?

How would you like to slip on a monsoon-wet rocky trail and foolishly grab for tall but razor-sharp elephant grass?

How would you like mud so thick that you get stuck, have to unlace your boot and pull it out of the slime?

http://www.bizarbin.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Camel-spider.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/hawkmechanic67/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sfceckwithtempreading.jpg

...and no weed.

The Sage of Main Street
04-07-2014, 04:48 PM
I wish I had a "mamma san" or a bar or a whorehouse or something to go to. Afghanistan, dude. Unless you want to fuck goats or young men, you're screwed.

What do you have against goatosexuality? The New Age doesn't need bigots like you!

Dr. Who
04-07-2014, 04:50 PM

Yeah, somehow I think the desert although hot and dry would be better than a hot humid, insect and bacteria ridden environment. I heard many soldiers suffered from jungle rot and malaria.

The Sage of Main Street
04-07-2014, 04:53 PM
The Battle of Okinawa began today in 1944. US forces suffered approximately 50,000 casualties in a few weeks (14,000 of then KIA). Just some perspective... The Marines suffered more casualties in Vietnam than they did in World War II. It was not a world war.

If you want to play the perspective game, in 1812 Napoleon went into Russia with 600,000 troops and came out with 40,000. That's 93% dead.

Codename Section
04-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Yeah, somehow I think the desert although hot and dry would be better than a hot humid, insect and bacteria ridden environment. I heard many soldiers suffered from jungle rot and malaria.

Depends on your personality. Lack of trees is actually depressing.

Bob
04-07-2014, 05:07 PM
I was lucky to not be in combat. Our daily worry was the Soviets showing up in mass via the Fulda Gap.

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-03-01/news/mn-6926_1_fulda-gap

FULDA, West Germany — Every day hundreds of U.S. soldiers face Soviet and East German troops across a heavily guarded border near here, one of many front-line outposts in the standoff between East and West in Europe.
Forty years after World War II, the United States maintains 250,000 troops in West Germany, part of a NATO military force of nearly 990,000 personnel, mostly West Germans. Western officials say the Soviet Bloc's Warsaw Pact has nearly 1.2 million personnel in neighboring East Germany and Czechoslovakia.

The Fulda Gap is the only area in the world where large numbers of U.S. and Soviet soldiers are lined up so close to one another. Backing them on both sides is the savage power of hundreds of medium-range nuclear missiles.
Likely Invasion Route
The standoff, engineered by political leaders and strategists thousands of miles away, is a key element in the tense balance of power between the United States and the Soviet Union.
NATO planners have pinpointed the Fulda Gap--several open passes running through the hills about 60 miles northeast of Frankfurt--as a likely invasion route into Western Europe for Soviet Bloc forces.
"This is the frontier where it would happen," Col. Thomas E. White, 43, of Detroit, commander of the 4,500-man Fulda-based U.S. 11th Armored Cavalry, said in an interview.

Bob
04-07-2014, 05:09 PM
The Marines suffered more casualties in Vietnam than they did in World War II. It was not a world war.

If you want to play the perspective game, in 1812 Napoleon went into Russia with 600,000 troops and came out with 40,000. That's 93% dead.

ha ha

Yeah, but Napoleon was the leader of the French. Well known for surrendering.

Dr. Who
04-07-2014, 05:13 PM

I can see that would be depressing, but I understand that during the Vietnam war more soldiers were hospitalized for malaria and infections than for battle injuries. Constant rain during monsoon season, about four months of the year, can also be a bit depressing I imagine. I think it would be better to go to war in New Zealand.

Peter1469
04-07-2014, 05:17 PM

Especially when you are attacking fixed positions backed up by tanks.

Matty
04-07-2014, 05:30 PM
My goodness what is that bug?

Peter1469
04-07-2014, 05:37 PM
My goodness what is that bug?

Are you referring to the camel spider?

Ethereal
04-07-2014, 09:09 PM

Gotta agree with the sage. I has a small camel spider jump at me in Iraq but the jungle is just miserable. The humidity, bugs everywhere, mud, it just sucks.

Matty
04-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Are you referring to the camel spider?

Camel spider yes,

now this would scare me into doing extra laundry!

Bob
04-07-2014, 11:17 PM
it took the Iraq war before I learned about those Camel Spiders. I heard they were a real pain in the ass.

Codename Section
04-08-2014, 06:22 AM
Gotta agree with the sage. I has a small camel spider jump at me in Iraq but the jungle is just miserable. The humidity, bugs everywhere, mud, it just sucks.

True. We had jungle warfare training and it wasn't the most pleasant experience but I've had almost a decade of looking at either sand or rock and seeing the bottoms of my boots melt. I'm just kinda done with that kind of heat and bare nothingness.

Terminal Lance
04-08-2014, 07:46 AM
Can I choose "none of the above"? Why don't people fight wars in temperate zones?

The Sage of Main Street
04-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Depends on your personality. Lack of trees is actually depressing. I'd rather get depressed than shot at by someone hiding behind a tree. They also climb trees to shoot at you.

Terminal Lance
04-08-2014, 10:40 AM
I'd rather get depressed than shot at by someone hiding behind a tree. They also climb trees to shoot at you.

And they hide in the dirt like moles and pop up to shoot you, too. It wasn't a picnic for us, either. War is hell no matter where you go. First friend of yours dies and "you" never come back.

Lots of respect to you Vietnam devil dogs. What they put you through no one should have had to have been put through.

The Sage of Main Street
04-08-2014, 10:49 AM
the French. Well known for surrendering. You Chickenhawks should have a little talk with a Maquis. It will be a little talk because he will cut your tongues out.

Matty
04-08-2014, 10:50 AM
This discussion brings to mind "The Lone Survivor" have you guys seen the movie or read the book? I have never been in the military, that book was an education!

Terminal Lance
04-08-2014, 10:51 AM
This discussion brings to mind "The Lone Survivor" have you guys seen the movie or read the book? I have never been in the military, that book was an education!

When I'm "off duty" I try to be "off duty". I don't even play COD with my friends. I play fantasy stuff or gay ass board games.

Perianne
04-08-2014, 11:12 AM

I saw that. It was a very good movie.

Terminal Lance
04-08-2014, 11:19 AM
War is a weird experience. It's scary, depressing, irritating, exciting, and moving all at the same time. You are reborn someone else when its all over. The friends you make there will be the only true friends you have in your life because they are the only tested friends you know. That's hard for the people who loved you before to uderstand.

I came home right after my first combat deployment and my mother wanted to throw a barbecue. There shouldn't be anything wrong with that, only she made me help make the hamburger and I got sick and couldn't bring myself to eat it. She doesn't comprehend seeing human meat blow all over the place and why that would bother me.

When you are separated from your own mother you realize you're no longer "you", you're someone else.

Perianne
04-08-2014, 11:26 AM
War is a weird experience. It's scary, depressing, irritating, exciting, and moving all at the same time. You are reborn someone else when its all over. The friends you make there will be the only true friends you have in your life because they are the only tested friends you know. That's hard for the people who loved you before to uderstand.

I came home right after my first combat deployment and my mother wanted to throw a barbecue. There shouldn't be anything wrong with that, only she made me help make the hamburger and I got sick and couldn't bring myself to eat it. She doesn't comprehend seeing human meat blow all over the place and why that would bother me.

When you are separated from your own mother you realize you're no longer "you", you're someone else.

I can't even begin to understand. Thank you - and all the other veterans - for your service. Some of us love you for it.

Matty
04-08-2014, 11:30 AM
I love them for it!

Terminal Lance
04-08-2014, 11:32 AM
I can't even begin to understand. Thank you - and all the other veterans - for your service. Some of us love you for it.

When I was midway through boot camp I was like, "Dear God let me break a leg so I can go home". You shouldn't thank me. If I could have gotten out during boot camp I would have.

Perianne
04-08-2014, 11:34 AM
When I was midway through boot camp I was like, "Dear God let me break a leg so I can go home". You shouldn't thank me. If I could have gotten out during boot camp I would have.
Terminal Lance

Honey, take credit for what you did do, not what you might have done. If people were shooting at me, I think I would just cry. You handled it like a man.

Terminal Lance
04-08-2014, 11:37 AM
@Terminal Lance (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=909)

Honey, take credit for what you did do, not what you might have done. If people were shooting at me, I think I would just cry. You handled it like a man.

I cried a lot. I cried when Sully died. I cried when we showed up at a village after Al Qaeda had been there. I cried when I saw White blown 20 feet and thought he was dead. I cried when my fiance dumped me via email. I cried when I killed my first Tango (later that night). I cried when I came home and everything was different.

I'm a cry baby.

Perianne
04-08-2014, 11:39 AM
I cried a lot. I cried when Sully died. I cried when we showed up at a village after Al Qaeda had been there. I cried when I saw White blown 20 feet and thought he was dead. I cried when my fiance dumped me via email. I cried when I killed my first Tango (later that night). I cried when I came home and everything was different.

I'm a cry baby.

You are human. There is nothing wrong with crying...even for men. (hugs)

Dr. Who
04-08-2014, 10:20 PM

I'm a cry baby.

Crying is better than repressing and going crazy.

Libhater
04-09-2014, 06:10 AM
Crying is better than repressing and going crazy.

Or worse......killing oneself.

The Sage of Main Street
04-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Crying is better than repressing and going crazy. Repression is a survival instinct. If I would have let myself think about the situation we were really in, I would have been terrified all day long.

The first time I was in combat, I had to listen to a gutshot Marine scream himself to death. That unbelievably horrible pain would have been hanging over me every waking minute if I hadn't pushed it back to the part of my mind that doesn't even get through in dreams.

I saw his body before the helicopter took him away. He didn't look human; he really looked like some expertly made doll. The corpsman had been unable to close his eyes. The Marine looked like he had died just from the pain and the fear.

The Sage of Main Street
04-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Or worse......killing oneself.

Killing yourself because you are afraid of dying? People ought to wake up to the fact that even mainstream psychiatry is psychobabble.

Dr. Who
04-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Repression is a survival instinct. If I would have let myself think about the situation we were really in, I would have been terrified all day long.

The first time I was in combat, I had to listen to a gutshot Marine scream himself to death. That unbelievably horrible pain would have been hanging over me every waking minute if I hadn't pushed it back to the part of my mind that doesn't even get through in dreams.

I saw his body before the helicopter took him away. He didn't look human; he really looked like some expertly made doll. The corpsman had been unable to close his eyes. The Marine looked like he had died just from the pain and the fear.
Repression only lasts so long, eventually it comes back out and when it does, look out.

The Sage of Main Street
04-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Repression only lasts so long, eventually it comes back out and when it does, look out. Shrinks make a lot of money on that theory, added to the kickbacks they get from prescribing drugs their patients don't need. At least they got off that theory that all men want to kill their Daddy and fuck their Mommy.

It is a self-protecting racket. These witch doctors have managed to make people think that if anyone thinks psychiatry is a fraud, he must be nuts and is in denial about his need for "therapy."

Dr. Who
04-10-2014, 04:33 PM
Shrinks make a lot of money on that theory, added to the kickbacks they get from prescribing drugs their patients don't need. At least they got off that theory that all men want to kill their Daddy and fuck their Mommy.

It is a self-protecting racket. These witch doctors have managed to make people think that if anyone thinks psychiatry is a fraud, he must be nuts and is in denial about his need for "therapy."

What do you suppose PTSD flashbacks are all about?

The Sage of Main Street
04-11-2014, 02:10 PM
What do you suppose PTSD flashbacks are all about? Getting a disability check from the VA.

Codename Section
04-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Getting a disability check from the VA.

Yeh, cuz that don't come with a high price tag or anything. I would rather eat a shit sandwich and wash it down with piss than be labeled crazy by the US government.

Bob
04-11-2014, 02:37 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=569377#post569377)

the French. Well known for surrendering.

You Chickenhawks should have a little talk with a Maquis. It will be a little talk because he will cut your tongues out.

Oh, hit a nerve.

What prison is that dude in?

Perianne
04-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Getting a disability check from the VA.

No disrespect intended, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

The Sage of Main Street
04-12-2014, 10:06 AM
you have no idea what you are talking about.

All you have is an idea.

Alyosha
04-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Perianne is a nurse. I'm sure she's seen a lot of vets come in her hospital.

Libhater
04-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Yeh, cuz that don't come with a high price tag or anything. I would rather eat a shit sandwich and wash it down with piss than be labeled crazy by the US government.

I thought you were a veteran. If you are a veteran surely you know that being labled 'crazy' or having the fortunate
experience of having PTSD (like myself) opened up the doors to my early retirement. Yeah, I was 40 years old when
I secured my 100% VA disability for PTSD. Throw in my long term disability from AT&T, my state of Massachusetts annuity
and my Social Security disability and I'm sitting back collecting $5,000 a month tax free monies.

So I'll let you call me crazy while I enjoy a healthy and enjoyable retirement next to the beaches here in sunny Southern Florida.

Alyosha
04-12-2014, 10:18 AM
I thought you were a veteran. If you are a veteran surely you know that being labled 'crazy' or having the fortunate
experience of having PTSD (like myself) opened up the doors to my early retirement. Yeah, I was 40 years old when
I secured my 100% VA disability for PTSD. Throw in my long term disability from AT&T, my state of Massachusetts annuity
and my Social Security disability and I'm sitting back collecting $5,000 a month tax free monies.

So I'll let you call me crazy while I enjoy a healthy and enjoyable retirement next to the beaches here in sunny Southern Florida.

A forced 90 days in a psych ward is what happens to you now.

http://d22r54gnmuhwmk.cloudfront.net/photos/4/qq/pn/DtqqPNimwhDPjUQ-556x313-noPad.jpg

Libhater
04-14-2014, 06:10 AM
A forced 90 days in a psych ward is what happens to you now.

http://d22r54gnmuhwmk.cloudfront.net/photos/4/qq/pn/DtqqPNimwhDPjUQ-556x313-noPad.jpg

A little different but not much when I went to apply for my disability compensation. I willingly joined a 4-month in-patient
PTSD cohort at the VA hospital in West Haven, CT. Nothing was forced. We had weekends off, but those 4 months really
got down to the nuts and bolts of each veteran's symptoms. A compensation board of VA doctors determined each case
by mulling over the 4-month reports of their stays. The critical factor in determining each veteran's eligibility to receive
compensation was if they were 'unemployable' or not. Of course there were other factors, but for the most part being
unemployable helped to seal the deal. That's not to say that I haven't had many under the table jobs to help stipend my
way along the sandy beaches of Florida.