PDA

View Full Version : Thank You

Nemo
04-01-2014, 07:26 AM
Thank you for your kind birthday greeting. Actually, I don’t celebrate my birthday anymore - I am at an age when I am facing the end of my life, and being reminded of the fact is not a pleasant thought - but I nevertheless appreciate the sentiment expressed.

I left this discussion forum out of frustration that you would not listen to me. Having lived so long, I thought, mistakenly, that I had something to say, and that you would listen. Instead, I have learned that all have mouths to speak, but only few have ears to listen. What a fool I was. (Indeed so, for "[T]here is no fool like an old fool" as they say.) It is a sad truth of life that we shall all - sooner or later - experience.

Still, I am touched by your greeting. And I will remember you all with affection.

Nemo

By-the-bye: Nemo is Latin for "no one"; and was the pseudonym of Captain Hawdon, who was the former lover of Lady Deadlock, and the mysterious law writer in Charles Dickens' novel Bleak House.

Refugee
04-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Thank you for your kind birthday greeting. Actually, I don’t celebrate my birthday anymore - I am at an age when I am facing the end of my life, and being reminded of the fact is not a pleasant thought - but I nevertheless appreciate the sentiment expressed.

I left this discussion forum out of frustration that you would not listen to me. Having lived so long, I thought, mistakenly, that I had something to say, and that you would listen. Instead, I have learned that all have mouths to speak, but only few have ears to listen. What a fool I was. (Indeed so, for "[T]here is no fool like an old fool" as they say.) It is a sad truth of life that we shall all - sooner or later - experience.

Still, I am touched by your greeting. And I will remember you all with affection.

Nemo

By-the-bye: Nemo is Latin for "no one"; and was the pseudonym of Captain Hawdon, who was the former lover of Lady Deadlock, and the mysterious law writer in Charles Dickens' novel Bleak House.

Greetings Nemo, are you British? (Reference to Dickens and the grammar).

I’ve only been here a short time myself and although not on my last legs, I’m not too far off retirement. No one listens to me either, (that’s why the worlds in the mess it’s in :laugh: ), but it’s not our world, its theirs now. All we can do is add our bit of experience and maturity and hope some of it sinks in. I have a pretty good idea of what’s coming to the west, some disagree, that’s life. Keep plugging away, never give up. :smiley:

Codename Section
04-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Greetings Nemo, are you British? (Reference to Dickens and the grammar).

I’ve only been here a short time myself and although not on my last legs, I’m not too far off retirement. No one listens to me either, (that’s why the worlds in the mess it’s in :laugh: ), but it’s not our world, its theirs now. All we can do is add our bit of experience and maturity and hope some of it sinks in. I have a pretty good idea of what’s coming to the west, some disagree, that’s life. Keep plugging away, never give up. :smiley:

Dude everyone secretly loves you Brits. :)

Nemo
04-01-2014, 08:07 AM
No, I am not British; although I would, if I could, become an "English Gentleman". But I can tell you a few things - if you will listen.

Refugee
04-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Dude everyone secretly loves you Brits. :)

Well, its either that or we re-invade. We still have a few fishing boats left over from pre-recession days. :laugh:

Nemo
04-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Do you have any room in your fishing boats for me?

Refugee
04-01-2014, 08:24 AM
No, I am not British; although I would, if I could, become an "English Gentleman". But I can tell you a few things - if you will listen.

Of course I will listen. Without profanities and using the correct form of grammar.

Refugee
04-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Do you have any room in your fishing boats for me?

Afraid not. The homestead went tits up some time ago and I set off for pastures new, along with 5% of the indigenous population. I now do my 'English' thing in China. The climate suits one and the natives are friendlier. :smiley:

Nemo
04-01-2014, 09:12 AM
Tell me what you want to know, and I will tell what I know.

Refugee
04-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Tell me what you want to know, and I will tell what I know.

Well actually, there isn’t anything I want to know. Along with the rest of the forum, I think my opinion is the best, but the problem is, everyone disagrees. :laugh: I also don't care much for google quotes, I prefer explanations?

Seriously, anything social, educational or criminological. I think the west is heading into progressivism, with America lagging behind a bit, but Europe and the UK are going for it at breakneck speed. Your predictions for the political future in the next ten years?

Nemo
04-02-2014, 07:00 AM
Only time can tell. There is a time for everything. Time is a powerful force; its slow, inexorable movement can overcome the greatest obstacles. Time has cured many ills, and many a controversy has been put to rest by its passage; even the longest of memories have been lost in its depths. Time is the one thing that everyone has and everyone loses. It can be at once the greatest luxury and the biggest burden; and, likewise, simultaneously all-important and of no consequence. Time can be both ally and enemy; to have time on one’s side is an advantage, for many a battle has been won or lost over a critical moment. Everything depends on time. Nations rise and fall by it; civilizations advance or decline by it; and life itself subsists and is extinguished by it. Time is the staff of truth and the sword of justice; it is the sentinel of the past and signpost to the future. In the catalogue of history, there are few whose greatness that have withstood the test of time. Indeed, how insignificant the accomplishments of man seem when measured by the vast expanse of time. Still, the earth turns, and time passes in an endless cycle.

Refugee
04-02-2014, 07:32 AM
Only time can tell. There is a time for everything. Time is a powerful force; its slow, inexorable movement can overcome the greatest obstacles. Time has cured many ills, and many a controversy has been put to rest by its passage; even the longest of memories have been lost in its depths. Time is the one thing that everyone has and everyone loses. It can be at once the greatest luxury and the biggest burden; and, likewise, simultaneously all-important and of no consequence. Time can be both ally and enemy; to have time on one’s side is an advantage, for many a battle has been won or lost over a critical moment. Everything depends on time. Nations rise and fall by it; civilizations advance or decline by it; and life itself subsists and is extinguished by it. Time is the staff of truth and the sword of justice; it is the sentinel of the past and signpost to the future. In the catalogue of history, there are few whose greatness that have withstood the test of time. Indeed, how insignificant the accomplishments of man seem when measured by the vast expanse of time. Still, the earth turns, and time passes in an endless cycle.

Ah yes, but time is not a prediction, it’s a certainty. My question was what will happen in that time? For instance, I knew that the recession was coming back in 2005, nothing inspirational or clever as so did all the companies who were laying off then. My question concerns the future not a measurement.

Your post also needs the following reference unless you're also known as Mr. Jaggers?
http://defendingthetruth.com/philosophy/26554-time.html (http://defendingthetruth.com/philosophy/26554-time.html)

Nemo
04-02-2014, 07:40 AM
I am Mr. Jaggers, who was the lawyer in Charles Dickens' novel Great Expectations. My other monikers include: W.J. Wilczek, H. Muir, Graham Garner, G.R.A. Garner, Wendell Phillips, Pukka Sahib, and Richard Savage.

As for the future, I think you can count on seeing that what happened before will happen again.

Refugee
04-02-2014, 07:57 AM
I am Mr. Jaggers, who was the lawyer in Charles Dickens' novel Great Expectations. My other monikers include: W.J. Wilczek, H. Muir, Graham Garner, G.R.A. Garner, Wendell Phillips, Pukka Sahib, and Richard Savage.

As for the future, I think you can count on seeing that what happened before will happen again.

Ah, twas a mistaken case of plagiarism methinks. Yet it still doesn’t answer the question, which would run along the lines of a plausible conspiracy theory.

For instance: I work near the famous ‘Ghost city’ in Kangbashi, Inner Mongolia. It’s called a ghost city because it’s a near empty modern city built for one million people. Museum, sports center, shopping malls; they’re all there, ready to go. On a walk through one of the many parks we saw a sort of large tunnel with a huge steel door leading downwards. Above the door was a sign in both Chinese and English, stating “Public shelter”.
Now, in a part of the world that has no earthquakes and no floods, why on earth would you need an empty city with public shelters?

a) Either someone has made a huge costly mistake, or
b) Someone might know something we don’t.

The shelter is fact, the conspiracy theory is why it’s there. Was I looking at the future?

Nemo
04-02-2014, 08:11 AM
I don't know the answer. The future is a mystery to me. I have only the past and the present to rely upon, and the knowledge that history tends to repeat itself.

Refugee
04-02-2014, 08:26 AM
I don't know the answer. The future is a mystery to me. I have only the past and the present to rely upon, and the knowledge that history tends to repeat itself.

There’s the problem then. The future was not a mystery to me and it’s why I went East instead of west, or God forbid, even deeper into the European Union. If history does repeat itself, (the 1930’s depression), we’re now approaching WWIII? In the absence of mass warfare and increased longevity, are we now in a post industrial age that requires natural disasters or man-made culls to keep populations at sustainable levels? Courtesy of the WWII dead, near full employment and a welfare State, my generation has had a relatively easy time, is that going to change? Those are the questions, not knowing or having an opinion on them doesn’t provide the answers that you said you had. :smiley:

Nemo
04-02-2014, 09:29 AM
I think that you can rely on the prediction of war in the future. War is one "manifest destiny" that will be with us to the end.

Peter1469
04-02-2014, 04:23 PM
There are several of these Ghost cities in China (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-09-21/chinas-ghost-cities-are-multiplying). Maybe they wanted to move excess people (those not needed for farming, etc.) out of rural areas.

Ah, twas a mistaken case of plagiarism methinks. Yet it still doesn’t answer the question, which would run along the lines of a plausible conspiracy theory.

For instance: I work near the famous ‘Ghost city’ in Kangbashi, Inner Mongolia. It’s called a ghost city because it’s a near empty modern city built for one million people. Museum, sports center, shopping malls; they’re all there, ready to go. On a walk through one of the many parks we saw a sort of large tunnel with a huge steel door leading downwards. Above the door was a sign in both Chinese and English, stating “Public shelter”.
Now, in a part of the world that has no earthquakes and no floods, why on earth would you need an empty city with public shelters?

a) Either someone has made a huge costly mistake, or
b) Someone might know something we don’t.

The shelter is fact, the conspiracy theory is why it’s there. Was I looking at the future?

Refugee
04-02-2014, 06:32 PM
There are several of these Ghost cities in China (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-09-21/chinas-ghost-cities-are-multiplying). Maybe they wanted to move excess people (those not needed for farming, etc.) out of rural areas.

China has a different mind-set to the rest of the world, they wouldn’t even admit to the shelter I spoke of existed. It’s a puzzle why they’re building these places, but the underground shelters are something else.

I think we often judge using our own westernized perceptions. That I think is why the predictions of an imminent economic collapse, we’re using our own western economic model to assume that; or a society like that couldn’t exist in the west so a revolution must be coming soon. If there’s any interest perhaps I’ll have a go at a thread to explain the Chinese mind-set?

Peter1469
04-02-2014, 07:03 PM
You are absolutely correct. China thinks differently than the West. The West bases its intelligence assessments with western thinking.

China has a different mind-set to the rest of the world, they wouldn’t even admit to the shelter I spoke of existed. It’s a puzzle why they’re building these places, but the underground shelters are something else.

I think we often judge using our own westernized perceptions. That I think is why the predictions of an imminent economic collapse, we’re using our own western economic model to assume that; or a society like that couldn’t exist in the west so a revolution must be coming soon. If there’s any interest perhaps I’ll have a go at a thread to explain the Chinese mind-set?

Dr. Who
04-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Based on current human behavior and political polarization on a global scale, we are headed into conflict. Whether it will take the shape of a global war, or chronic civil wars, remains to be seen, but the status quo, at least from my perspective, cannot last indefinitely. While the wealthy have become incrementally wealthier in the last 20 years, the previously middle and working classes have increasingly been losing ground. Blame is often placed on immigration and transient populations, resulting in an escalation of racial and ethnic tensions, however the real culprit is opportunistic business/industry and the governments that support them to the detriment of their own domestic populations. As successful businesses hit critical mass and go global, sending their business activities (and employment) to the most generous, sycophantic regimes and municipalities in the third world, so goes the life blood of western (1st world) countries. This rationalization of wealth between the first, second and third worlds will not happen without bloodshed, particularly in the first world.

Peter1469
04-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Yes, some wealthy people are getting more wealthy. But it isn't on the backs of the rest of us. All nations have fiat currencies. We aren't tied to the gold standard, or any standard whatsoever. The pie is not fixed.

Does anyone understand modern finance, economics, or fractional reserve banking?

Dr. Who
04-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Yes, some wealthy people are getting more wealthy. But it isn't on the backs of the rest of us. All nations have fiat currencies. We aren't tied to the gold standard, or any standard whatsoever. The pie is not fixed.

Does anyone understand modern finance, economics, or fractional reserve banking?

All of the things that you mention along with government complicity, encourage and support business to leave the shores of first world countries for the desperate shores of third world countries. Simultaneously, the US government, by having a third party federal reserve, is engaged in financial slight of hand that sucks money out of the tax payers, though various machinations, and places it into the hands of others. Ultimately it is metaphorically like farming mice as food for snakes.

Refugee
04-02-2014, 08:41 PM

Isn’t it just about grabbing what you can and being able to face an inquiry committee with a straight face if it goes wrong? Isn’t a Black Friday sale the same as corporate greed, but on a small scale individual level? We’re all trying to grab, isn’t it just a question of someone grabbing more than we’re able to? Weren’t millions maxing out their credit cards and buying unaffordable mortgages (greed) in the hope of making a profit partly responsible for the recession? We all buy into it and wonder why it all goes so terribly wrong.

Strange, I’m having to use my VPN today to access the forum. Big brother is trying to block me again. :smiley:

Peter1469
04-02-2014, 08:51 PM
All of the things that you mention along with government complicity, encourage and support business to leave the shores of first world countries for the desperate shores of third world countries. Simultaneously, the US government, by having a third party federal reserve, is engaged in financial slight of hand that sucks money out of the tax payers, though various machinations, and places it into the hands of others. Ultimately it is metaphorically like farming mice as food for snakes.

That is all well and good. Peg the dollar to gold (or whatever) and you will see income inequality.