PDA

View Full Version : Saltpeter............

Libhater
04-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Dwane asked Lonnie...."Do you remember that stuff they used to put in our coffee during the war,
to make us forget about women?"

Lonnie replied...."I think you mean saltpeter.

Dwane...."Yep, that's the stuff, I think it's beginning to work!"

Peter1469
04-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Probably never happened.

Libhater
04-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Probably never happened.

What, probably never put it in the coffee? They told us they put saltpeter in our scrambled eggs during bootcamp.
You may be right, I doubt they used the stuff. BTW, why do you suppose they used your name by calling it salty peter?
Perhaps they meant if you took it you would become the salt of the earth.

Peter1469
04-01-2014, 10:27 PM
They told us that too. I didn't fall for it. Sand Hill, Ft Benning, 1987.

Libhater
04-01-2014, 10:35 PM

Ft. Dix (Ding-a-ling) New Jersey 1970, and if they did use it on us there was no sign of its affectiveness as
I had no problem getting it up on the weekends with the hookers over at Wrightstown.

Peter1469
04-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Ft. Dix (Ding-a-ling) New Jersey 1970, and if they did use it on us there was no sign of its affectiveness as
I had no problem getting it up on the weekends with the hookers over at Wrightstown.

We didn't get that at Ft Benning, GA, But once I went to airborne school my drill SGT took be out to a strip joint on the avenue and introduced me to his girl friend. Funny, just over 3 years after that I was a corporal and took several enlisted members of the 82nd ABN to the same club on our last night before we hit desert in 1990. Almost got into a fight with a sergeant from the Ranger battalion that wasn't being deployed for whatever reason. The girls made it all better.

Max Rockatansky
04-02-2014, 06:30 AM
Probably never happened.

I'm pretty sure it happened in 1975, but not in 1977. Rumor had it was in the mashed potatoes since they were heavily salted anyway. It wasn't 100% effective. More like a bucket of cold water than neutering.

Kabuki Joe
04-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Dwane asked Lonnie...."Do you remember that stuff they used to put in our coffee during the war,
to make us forget about women?"

Lonnie replied...."I think you mean saltpeter.

Dwane...."Yep, that's the stuff, I think it's beginning to work!"

...I remember that in basic, but I don't know if it's something they really did...

Kabuki Joe
04-02-2014, 09:36 AM

...Sand Hill?...oh, you had it good you lucky dog...I went through basic out at the old WWII barracks in '82...Harmony Church I think...a long time ago...

Peter1469
04-02-2014, 04:26 PM
...Sand Hill?...oh, you had it good you lucky dog...I went through basic out at the old WWII barracks in '82...Harmony Church I think...a long time ago...

Brand new barracks at Sand Hill when I was there. But we were closer to the ranges than Harmony Church, so wake up call for us was at 0230 hrs. We GIed the barracks, did PT, ate chow, shit, shower, shave, and ruck up. We road marched to the training sites. Harmony Church got the cattle cars (at least when I was there).

Kabuki Joe
04-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Brand new barracks at Sand Hill when I was there. But we were closer to the ranges than Harmony Church, so wake up call for us was at 0230 hrs. We GIed the barracks, did PT, ate chow, shit, shower, shave, and ruck up. We road marched to the training sites. Harmony Church got the cattle cars (at least when I was there).

...yeah, we did get the special treatment...LOL...I went through there in June, July & August...it was nasty...I don't do heat well, and I had 1 trip to the hospital, and a couple pass outs on ranges...but I did fine in PR and Panama when I went to those areas...I loved Panama...

Peter1469
04-02-2014, 06:02 PM
...yeah, we did get the special treatment...LOL...I went through there in June, July & August...it was nasty...I don't do heat well, and I had 1 trip to the hospital, and a couple pass outs on ranges...but I did fine in PR and Panama when I went to those areas...I loved Panama...

August through November then airborne school into December. Cold rain in the sand pit is no fun.

Kabuki Joe
04-02-2014, 08:28 PM
August through November then airborne school into December. Cold rain in the sand pit is no fun.

...you're a better man then me... :)

Peter1469
04-02-2014, 08:31 PM
...you're a better man then me... :)

Don't say that. Men don't have to walk the same path.

Kabuki Joe
04-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Don't say that. Men don't have to walk the same path.

...we all walked the same path in basic...when I was high school I could run 6 min miles easy, basic broke me...understanding feet, ankles, knees and hips like I do now, I understand what happened...but I wouldn't change it if I could, my time in service was very special to me and I wouldn't change a thing about it...

Don
05-19-2014, 01:23 AM
Here is a great article about it.

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/02/military-to-stop-adding-saltpeter-to-chow/#!OH4rd

And here is what Stars and Stripes has to say about it...

http://www.stripes.com/blogs/the-rumor-doctor/the-rumor-doctor-1.104348/are-new-recruits-secretly-given-saltpeter-1.107251

Max Rockatansky
05-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Here is a great article about it.

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/02/military-to-stop-adding-saltpeter-to-chow/#!OH4rd

And here is what Stars and Stripes has to say about it...

http://www.stripes.com/blogs/the-rumor-doctor/the-rumor-doctor-1.104348/are-new-recruits-secretly-given-saltpeter-1.107251

Thanks for the links. The Stars and Stripes article addresses the present, not the past.

Cthulhu
05-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Highly doubt it was saltpeter, but a long term stress reaction will render the old noodle largely limp until acclimation has been achieved.

Max Rockatansky
05-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Highly doubt it was saltpeter, but a long term stress reaction will render the old noodle largely limp until acclimation has been achieved.

True, but after several weeks, the "stress" slackens off yet the "old noodle" is still the same....until a week or so back at home.

As stated above, I doubt that method is being used now, but there is no doubt it was used in the 1970s when I was in training.