PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Mac on Concussions in the NFL

Conley
03-19-2012, 11:59 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7697710

Dang, this is sad to see. Worse for Duerson though.

MMC
03-20-2012, 12:15 AM
A day late and a dollar short. Not to mention, they have known all along that it was a serious injury. just not as detailed as it is today.

waltky
03-31-2016, 03:30 AM
New blood test can detect concussion...
:cool2:
Blood Test Detects Concussions
March 30, 2016 - A new blood test has been developed to tell doctors whether someone has had a concussion up to a week after the injury. Head trauma symptoms can often be subtle, and even delayed, especially in children. Treatment in the form of rest is important in helping to heal the brain after injury.

The blood test, developed by physicians at Orlando Health system in Florida, detects a biomarker called glial fibrillary acidic protein or GFAP. GAFP is unique to the brain and nervous system and is released after a concussion. Researchers analyzing the blood of 600 patients found the biomarker was present in those who had sustained a head injury.

Concussion, without rest for a few days, can lead to long-term bouts of dizziness, headaches and insomnia. Memory loss, cognitive difficulties and even anxiety have also been reported in concussion patients who try to resume normal activities, like school or work, too soon.

Concussion is a common injury in contact sports, and a blood test soon after a head injury could help doctors detect the condition that might otherwise go undiagnosed. A study describing the blood test is published in the journal JAMA Neurology.

http://www.voanews.com/content/blood-test-detects-concussions/3261427.html

Tahuyaman
04-13-2016, 06:38 PM
I believe this concussion controversy / issue is going to cause the demise of the NFL.

waltky
04-21-2016, 05:16 AM
New 1 minute concussion detecting device...
:cool2:
Speedy Eye-tracking Device Seeks to Detect Concussions
April 20, 2016 : Tool to analyze visual response is first of its kind to get green light from US Food and Drug Administration as concerns grow over brain injuries in contact sports

A newly-approved device using infrared cameras to track eye movements promises to help detect concussions in one minute, offering a speedy insight into whether athletes have sustained the injury. Boston-based neuro-technology company SyncThink got clearance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in February for its first device, "Eye-Sync," the first of its kind to get the green light from the authority amid growing concerns over brain injuries in contact sports. Head trauma affects the brain's anticipatory neural network, which guides human reactions, and the tool focuses on analyzing visual response.

http://gdb.voanews.com/8E6C8EBB-50AD-4245-83BF-6C22D43F1F60_w640_r1_s.jpg
"Eye-Sync," a newly-approved device using infrared cameras to track eye movements, promises to help detect concussions in one minute

The user puts on a virtual reality headset connected to a computer tablet, with a moving circle appearing in the display. As the user follows the circle, the cameras follow the eyes and the data collected is compared against a baseline of normal eye movement for diagnosis. "Our assessment data is collected at a very high rate which allows us to produce a full assessment within one minute," Dan Beeler, SyncThink chief technology officer, told Reuters.

Symptoms, long-term dangers

Symptoms of concussions, a mild form of traumatic brain injury sustained with a blow to the head, can vary from headaches and confusion to slurred speech and vomiting. In certain instances, symptoms can take days to appear. Concussions can be difficult to diagnose, leaving athletes at higher risk of a more serious brain injury if they continue to perform concussed. Last month, a top National Football League official acknowledged a link between football-related concussions and the degenerative brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) in testimony at a U.S. congressional hearing.

In other contact sports — such as rugby, soccer and Australian rules football — there is a growing awareness of the risks posed by concussion, with several sports changing their rules or adopting new protocols to ensure a higher level of player safety. "There is much more awareness of the risks out there, a growing acceptance of those risks and ways to mitigate them, and our technology can play a part in that," Beeler said. "The technology we have built into this device has been developed over the past decade and we have been very careful about it." The company has been working with the U.S. military and university sports teams on the device, which costs $25,000. It is not the only company looking at such equipment. New York-based Oculogica is developing a "patent-pending eye-tracking technology" to help detect concussions and traumatic brain injury.

http://www.voanews.com/content/speedy-eye-tracking-device-detect-concussions/3294559.html

leekohler2
04-22-2016, 09:23 PM
I've had two concussions playing hockey, one severe and one mild. I feel fine, but I wonder if someday it might affect me negatively. I have never played with a concussion though. I always took the time to recover.

Tahuyaman
05-11-2016, 06:54 PM
That explains something I've been wondering about.