PDA

View Full Version : Study: Too Many Colon Tests Use Costly Sedation

Stoney
03-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Few people want to be wide awake during their colonoscopy exams, but new research suggests too many are getting extra sedation treatment, costing as much as $1 billion yearly in potentially needless services.

Use of anesthesiologists to monitor sedation during colonoscopies and other digestive imaging tests has more than doubled in recent years, and they’re used most often for low-risk patients who typically don’t need the extra help, the study authors said.

http://www.edgeonthenet.com/health_fitness/health/131147/study:_too_many_colon_tests_use_costly_sedation

This is where socialized medicine is taking us. I don't want to be awake when that test is being done. But now that we're all in this together the 'death panels" might determine what I want is too expensive while my insurance plan has not made that determination.

MMC
03-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Then to top it off medical companies can charge whatever they want for the equipment, while some medical places and or doctors won't even know that there is this new equipment out there. Which then the insurance company will decide if that such equipment was truly necessary. Eventually passing that cost back down to the patient.

Stoney
03-21-2012, 06:12 PM
My insurance determines what I can be charged beyond my coverage.

Conley
03-21-2012, 06:15 PM
I will pay the extra fifty or hundred if I have to rather than be aware of camera being shoved up my sphincter. Who says money can't solve problems?

wingrider
03-21-2012, 06:22 PM
THE BRAIN SAID : Since I control everything and do all the work I should be boss.
THE FEET SAID: Since I carry man where he wants to go and get him to do what the Brain wants, I should be boss.
THE HANDS SAID: Since I must do all the work and earn all the money to keep all the rest of you going, I should be boss.
THE EYES SAID: Since I must look out for all of you and tell you where danger lurks, I should be boss.
And so it went with the Heart, the Ears, and the Lungs.
Finally the Asshole spoke up and demanded that he be boss. All the other parts laughed and laughed at the idea of an asshole being boss.
The Asshole was so angered that he blocked himself off and refused to function. Soon the Brain was feverish, the Eyes crossed and ached, the Feet were too weak to walk, the Hands hung limply at his side, the Heart and Lungs struggled to keep going.
All pleaded with the Brain to relent and let the Asshole be boss, and so it happened. All parts did the work and the Asshole just bossed and passed out a lot of shit.
MORAL: You don't have to be a brain to be boss, just an Asshole. Back to Off-Color Humor Index (http://thepoliticalforums.com/offcolor.htm) theComic Relief (http://thepoliticalforums.com/index.htm) index

Mainecoons
03-21-2012, 08:23 PM
It costs like $20 to sedate my cat sufficiently to clean his teeth. Maybe the question we need to be asking is why it costs so damn much for the mild sedative used for colonoscophies?

Stoney
03-22-2012, 08:47 AM
I'll make an observation that an Anesthesiologist doesn't actually administer the medication in at least some instances. Nurses do. So maybe because of licensing laws doctors are required, but nurses do the work. I'll make the same observation in sleep clinics. In my experience nurses do all the work and the doctor does little more than collect a check.

Of course there would be many other factors including prices set by Medicare.

Conley
03-22-2012, 08:58 AM
THE BRAIN SAID : Since I control everything and do all the work I should be boss.
THE FEET SAID: Since I carry man where he wants to go and get him to do what the Brain wants, I should be boss.
THE HANDS SAID: Since I must do all the work and earn all the money to keep all the rest of you going, I should be boss.
THE EYES SAID: Since I must look out for all of you and tell you where danger lurks, I should be boss.
And so it went with the Heart, the Ears, and the Lungs.
Finally the Asshole spoke up and demanded that he be boss. All the other parts laughed and laughed at the idea of an asshole being boss.
The Asshole was so angered that he blocked himself off and refused to function. Soon the Brain was feverish, the Eyes crossed and ached, the Feet were too weak to walk, the Hands hung limply at his side, the Heart and Lungs struggled to keep going.
All pleaded with the Brain to relent and let the Asshole be boss, and so it happened. All parts did the work and the Asshole just bossed and passed out a lot of shit.
MORAL: You don't have to be a brain to be boss, just an Asshole. Back to Off-Color Humor Index (http://thepoliticalforums.com/offcolor.htm) theComic Relief (http://thepoliticalforums.com/index.htm) index

Haha! This is like one of Aesop's fables...it explains so much.

Captain Obvious
03-23-2012, 10:12 PM
My wife is very anal. I'll leave it at that, but me - nothing goes near my bunghole, period.

I'm 44, docs are telling me that I'm overdue for that ass scope thing. Maybe, but cancer doesn't run in my family - either side and I'll wait a little while until that day, but when that day comes, either I'm unconscious or someone's walking out with a nosebleed.

Cost isn't an issue either.

Stoney
03-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Colon cancer does run in my family and I've had a "bad spot" removed in addition to several polyps. Doc puts me out and the worse part is the cleansing procedure.

waltky
03-24-2018, 01:07 AM
Colon Cancer Can Be Prevented and Treated...
:cool2:
Colon Cancer Can Be Prevented and Treated
March 24, 2018 | WASHINGTON — Although cancer is one of the leading causes of death worldwide, colorectal cancer is one of the cancers that we can actually prevent, the World Health Organization says.

The colon is a long, muscular tube that’s also known as the large intestine. It is part of the digestive system. Colon cancer is linked to diet, genetic predisposition and age. In the U.S., 1 in 23 people will be told they have colon cancer. Michele Alexander got her diagnosis at age 53. “How much longer do I have? My daughter’s 24. You know, she’s still got a lot of life left. How much longer will I be with her? Those kind of thoughts go through your head,” Alexander said.

Largely preventable

Dr. Zihao Wu at the University of Missouri Health Care says this type of cancer is largely preventable. “The majority of colon cancer develops from a benign polyp, and that takes about 10 to 15 years,” he said. “And if you find a polyp and remove it, you won’t have colon cancer, so it’s very important to have a screening to prevent cancer.” As scary as her diagnosis was, Alexander’s passion for auto racing helped her get through her ordeal. Her favorite driver is Carl Edwards, and she had tickets to a race in which he was competing. When someone shared her story with him, he called her. “I said, ‘I know there’s an auction where I can bid to ride in the truck with you for driver intros, and it is my goal to win that auction,’” she said. … He said, ‘Don’t bid. You get here, you’re riding with me.’” Six weeks after surgery to remove the cancer in her colon, Alexander got her ride. “Oh, it was just joy. In a race for my life, and I crossed the finish line a winner,” she said.

Healthy lifestyle helps

Wu said Alexander’s attitude helped. “She wanted to get better. She had a strong will to get better, and I think that’s very important,” he said. Doctors say you can help prevent colon cancer if you eat plenty of greens, whole grains and vegetables and legumes, which are high in fiber. Regular exercise also helps, and if you smoke, stop.

https://gdb.voanews.com/65D5B331-170A-482E-B05A-6ACF43A31F78_cx0_cy5_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg
Assemblyman Richard Pan, D-Sacramento, who is pediatrician, passes through an inflatable colon display in Sacramento, Calif., March 24, 2014. The display shows what a healthy colon looks like, how polyps develop and how they can turn cancerous.

Most importantly, get a regular screening starting at age 50 or sooner if you have a family history. If colon cancer is diagnosed at an early stage, the World Health Organization says 90 percent of patients survive at least five years, compared with no more than percent of those diagnosed at an advanced stage. Two years after her surgery, Alexander is still cancer free and still a racecar enthusiast.

https://www.voanews.com/a/colon-cancer-can-be-prevented-treated/4314250.html

donttread
03-24-2018, 08:21 AM
http://www.edgeonthenet.com/health_fitness/health/131147/study:_too_many_colon_tests_use_costly_sedation

This is where socialized medicine is taking us. I don't want to be awake when that test is being done. But now that we're all in this together the 'death panels" might determine what I want is too expensive while my insurance plan has not made that determination.

Exactly , no one wants a camera shoved up there ass, way up there ass, while they are awake. Limit something else.

Max Rockatansky
03-24-2018, 08:32 AM
It costs like $20 to sedate my cat sufficiently to clean his teeth. Maybe the question we need to be asking is why it costs so damn much for the mild sedative used for colonoscophies?
Two words: fucking lawyers.

It's a liability thing.