PDA

View Full Version : Deal or no deal? US downgrade looking likely

wingrider
07-27-2011, 03:28 AM
Market analysts and investors increasingly say yes. The outcome won't be quite as scary as a default, but financial markets would still take a blow. Mortgage rates could rise. States and cities, already strapped, could find it more difficult to borrow. Stocks could lose their gains for the year.

"At this point, we're more concerned about the risk of a downgrade than a default," said Terry Belton, global head of fixed income strategy at JPMorgan Chase. In a conference call with reporters Tuesday, Belton said the loss of the country's AAA rating may rattle markets, but it's "better than missing an interest payment

rest of article here:

http://news.yahoo.com/deal-no-deal-us-downgrade-looking-likely-215151805.html

you see this is what happens when Democrats kick the can down the road for 2 years without writing a budget.. as usual it will be up to the Republicans to fix this mess

Vermouth
07-27-2011, 11:20 AM
How did the US ever have a AAA rating? I guess because the government can just print more money... that money may be worthless, but they'll pay you back.

Didn't 2008 prove that rating agencies are irrelevant?

hellraiser
07-27-2011, 11:37 AM
um probably because were the most powerful and richest country in the world?

if the us isnt aaa then who do you think should be?

Conley
07-27-2011, 11:48 AM
I am surprised at the US still maintaining AAA. If there's any discussion about a default, it seems that would be enough to knock the rating down a peg or two. I admit I don't know how it works. Vermouth is right though, the whole rating system seems like questionable at best.

Captain Obvious
07-27-2011, 08:45 PM
How did the US ever have a AAA rating? I guess because the government can just print more money... that money may be worthless, but they'll pay you back.

Didn't 2008 prove that rating agencies are irrelevant?

Exactly. US debt isn't purchased because of rating agencies, it's purchased because the US is (or has been) the global monetary standard.

The whole rating issue is surfacing because of issues in Europe and clearly we're not collectively smart enough to learn from their mistakes.

Probably the best thing that could happen to us at this point is a default - for the long term.

MMC
07-28-2011, 09:27 PM
That would be the first order of buisness.....quit listening to the economists from the EU. Although, there are many leading the charge to remove the Dollar as the Worlds Reserve Currency.....whicc to me is the only reason these credit rating agencies are saying anything. :-\

wingrider
07-28-2011, 11:37 PM
That would be the first order of buisness.....quit listening to the economists from the EU. Although, there are many leading the charge to remove the Dollar as the Worlds Reserve Currency.....whicc to me is the only reason these credit rating agencies are saying anything. :-\

spot on there MMC

hotwire
08-07-2011, 08:52 PM
The next downgrade will be coming soon.

Conley
08-07-2011, 09:00 PM

Lower than AA+ ? Or do you mean Moody's et al?

Mister D
08-08-2011, 07:36 AM

They have been saying that a AA rating is possible over the next few years.

MMC
08-08-2011, 08:37 AM

To be a leading Democracy in the free world.....we cannot have a lagging education system. But we have and now it is beginning to show. What is the S&P, who the hell is the S&P? That this company can take on a Country and affect them so?

What can we do to affect the S&P????? Or those that own it?

Mister D
08-08-2011, 08:47 AM

To be a leading Democracy in the free world.....we cannot have a lagging education system. But we have and now it is beginning to show. What is the S&P, who the hell is the S&P? That this company can take on a Country and affect them so?

What can we do to affect the S&P????? Or those that own it?

No one will say it but our educational system would not be in the shape it's in were it not for the importation of uneducated people from the Third World. The national IQ is declining. There is no way around that and it is the direct result of migration.

Not sure but I hear lots of talkk about it now. It was apparently in the works during the mortgage crisis as well. Not saying S&P is an angel here.

MMC
08-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Can the US quit borrowing? Limit borrowing? Can we put a stop to the free-trade bullshit. Get out of others affairs. Then when they want to give out more credit we can tell the S&P to go and screw themselves.

In the meantime as the leader of a country I would be looking for a way to bring some pain to these guys. I don't care how much money their backers got.

Mister D
08-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Can the US quit borrowing? Limit borrowing? Can we put a stop to the free-trade bullshit. Get out of others affairs. Then when they want to give out more credit we can tell the S&P to go and screw themselves.

In the meantime as the leader of a country I would be looking for a way to bring some pain to these guys. I don't care how much money their backers got.

The current globalist system makes it increasingly difficult to counteract these agencies. The admin is might pissed that's for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something over the next week or two.

MMC
08-08-2011, 09:39 AM

The current globalist system makes it increasingly difficult to counteract these agencies. The admin is might pissed that's for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something over the next week or two.

They just announced that the S&P just downgraded Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac Too..... >:(

wingrider
08-08-2011, 11:03 AM
pundits are now saying that Moodys will probably downgrade the US if excessive borrowing and spending is not cut , possible as early as january, if this happens and Obama has not come up with a workable plan tocut spending and start paying down the debt he will be a one term president,

I think it is despicable that the whithouse and the democrats are saying this is a tea party downgrade, when they were the ony ones who came up with a viable plan ie the cut cap and balance plan .. you notice that it passed in the house but was immediatly shot down by the dems in the senate and threatened with VETO if it hit the presidents desk,

this tells us that the dems are not going to cut spending no matter what. re-election is more important than the well being of our country

Mister D
08-08-2011, 11:08 AM
pundits are now saying that Moodys will probably downgrade the US if excessive borrowing and spending is not cut , possible as early as january, if this happens and Obama has not come up with a workable plan tocut spending and start paying down the debt he will be a one term president,

I think it is despicable that the whithouse and the democrats are saying this is a tea party downgrade, when they were the ony ones who came up with a viable plan ie the cut cap and balance plan .. you notice that it passed in the house but was immediatly shot down by the dems in the senate and threatened with VETO if it hit the presidents desk,

this tells us that the dems are not going to cut spending no matter what. re-election is more important than the well being of our country

Despicable but hardly surprising. Thsi is a problem on both sides of the aisle. They take a more egneral failure of our political class and try to make it into a partisan issue.

Conley
08-08-2011, 11:21 AM

They just announced that the S&P just downgraded Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac Too..... >:(

That's fucking rich. They're only about three years late on that one. ::) If you're curious about S&P and how they can take on a country, see the other thread I posted. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark, and I ain't talking bout no Mohammed cartoons either! >:( >:( >:(

MMC
08-08-2011, 12:00 PM

wicked necromongers: dame Vaako / Richard B Riddick / lord Vaako (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFQ4l9fUxEM#)

Yes We go on Campaign.....Lord Marshal will want Da Money. All Will join the Necromonger way.
Do you have doubts Necromongers. Bout Campaign? Bout Lord Marshall?

He is No man he is the UNHOLY-Half Dead From The UnderVerse.....

Lord Marshall never loses on Campaign.....You keep What you Kill! >:D

MMC
08-08-2011, 03:45 PM
What ya guys dont like Campaign? :o

Mister D
08-08-2011, 06:44 PM
I have no idea what "Campaign" is. ??? ;D

MMC
08-08-2011, 11:24 PM
I have no idea what "Campaign" is. ??? ;D

Sure ya does.....Campaign is now and you know the Lord Marshall will be out and raising about a Billion Dollars to win his re-election. I think the Neos on both sides will make sure he get re- elected. That we will continue down this spiraling descent of deception by these politicans. It is clear both parties have sold out to the Citizen of the World Bullshit.

Conley
08-08-2011, 11:27 PM
What ya guys dont like Campaign? :o

I'd like his highness to go on a campaign and not come back!

>:(

wingrider
08-09-2011, 11:05 PM
i would like to see Obama run a campainge for dog catcher and lose

MMC
08-10-2011, 01:24 AM
i would like to see Obama run a campainge for dog catcher and lose

Even with Perry entering into the mix.....Obama does not consider him a viable threat. As his Campaign peeps believe Perry will only divide the GOP some more. For some reason they still think Romney is the threat. So they are planning to swift voe him as they see Obamas numbers are so low.

wingrider
08-10-2011, 06:12 AM
the thing is , Obama is not going heads up against perry or romney at this time, so it doesn't matter what obama says right now.

Obama would be better off right now to knock off the campaign theatrics and concentrate on doing his job, fix it so businesses have the desire to hire, stop the out of control spending , and quit blameing everyone else for his problems.

He is the potus and he needs to act like a leader instead of a 6 year old saying " its not my fault the other guy did it to, I have never been so disgusted with a president in my life

MMC
08-10-2011, 10:58 AM
the thing is , Obama is not going heads up against perry or romney at this time, so it doesn't matter what obama says right now.

Obama would be better off right now to knock off the campaign theatrics and concentrate on doing his job, fix it so businesses have the desire to hire, stop the out of control spending , and quit blameing everyone else for his problems.

He is the potus and he needs to act like a leader instead of a 6 year old saying " its not my fault the other guy did it to, I have never been so disgusted with a president in my life

Yeah I am tired of hearing well it didnt just happen overnight.....and we are going to need some time to get thru it. Blame Republicans then take a centrist position.