PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Lasagna

oceanloverOH
04-19-2014, 08:49 AM
This is a very old recipe....one of the first my Mother devloped circa 1957. I have updated it a little bit (i.e. rotel tomatoes) but it's basically the same.

Mexican Lasagna
Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes (includes cook, simmer and stand times)
Bake Time: 30-35 minutes
Total time: about 2 hours
Serves 4-6

Ingredients
1½ lbs ground beef
¾ cup chopped onion
2 cans (10 oz each) mild Rotel tomatoes and chiles
1 envelope McCormick Sloppy Joe mix
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp ground cumin
1½ cups shredded Mexican Four Cheese Blend or shredded Habanero Blend cheese
1½ cups shredded Mild Cheddar cheese
¾-1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ pint (8 oz) sour cream
8-10 lasagna noodles
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small can (2.25 oz) sliced black olives, drained
1½ Tbsp dried parsley flakes

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Spray 13x9x2 baking pan (glass or metal) with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
3. Prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions, adding olive oil to boiling water to prevent sticking. Drain noodles into colander and rinse in cold water; drain well on paper towels and set aside.
4. Mix shredded Mexican and mild cheddar cheeses in a bowl to make 3 cups, set aside.
5. In a large skillet, brown meat and onions, drain and return to skillet. Add tomatoes, sloppy joe mix, salt, pepper and cumin. Simmer 15 minutes, remove from heat, let stand 10 minutes.
6. Add sour cream to meat mixture and mix well.
7. In baking pan, layer in order: ½ of the meat mixture, 4-5 lasagna noodles (slightly overlapping), ½ of the Mexican cheese mixture. Repeat. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over the cheese mixture on top only. Garnish top with evenly sprinkled dried parsley flakes and sliced black olives.
8. Bake 30-35 minutes in preheated oven until cheese is slightly browned, let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Refrigerate leftovers, tightly covered.