PDA

View Full Version : Reducing produced foods in the diet

donttread
04-20-2014, 11:24 AM
Has long been a goal of mine , however it's harder than it sounds. I find myself wondering if a diet devoid of processed foods with no other defined restrictions might be a better answer than watching fat, calories, carbs or sugars. If I want some pie I can have some, but I pretty much have to take the time to make it myself , for example.
I don't believe total aversion of all processed foods always is feasible ( for me) however, I could do a hell of a lot better than I'm doing. It's simple enough if you have the time to make everything from scratch, which I don't, yet very complicated when it comes to buying food.
For example, not all chemicals are of equal concern and many effect different individuals very differently and chemicals can be hidden. Even MSG has like 5 other names! Does anyone know of a good website or even a scale to help sort this out?

Mister D
04-20-2014, 11:26 AM
It depends on what you mean by processed.

Spectre
04-20-2014, 11:33 AM
I have two BIG rules for picking healthy foods:

1]Look for zero trans fats, or, in certain cheeses, the lowest level of trans fats you can find.

2] Avoid high fructose corn syrup as an additive. THIS is EVIL and INSIDIOUS!!!!! They put this shit in almost EVERYthing, and is probably more responsible for the obesity epidemic than anything else. They put it in foods where it doesn't even belong, like mayo and pasta sauce.

Mister D
04-20-2014, 11:55 AM
I eat a balanced diet and make sure I include plenty vegetables. A lot of these studies are unreliable and contradict each other.

Spectre
04-20-2014, 11:58 AM
It takes me forever to do groceries because I'm forever reading labels.

Mister D
04-20-2014, 12:00 PM
It takes me forever to do groceries because I'm forever reading labels.

Americans desperately need some basic nutritional knowledge. That would go a long way in solving some of our health insurance woes.

Captain Obvious
04-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Americans desperately need some basic nutritional knowledge. That would go a long way in solving some of our health insurance woes.

That's Mo'Bama's role!

donttread
04-20-2014, 03:45 PM
It depends on what you mean by processed.

Harder question to answer than I would of guessed. To me foods that are made out of components and chemicals like most "junk food" along with GMO'S, supermarket breads etc. The issue is what is most important to avoid.

Mister D
04-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Harder question to answer than I would of guessed. To me foods that are made out of components and chemicals like most "junk food" along with GMO'S, supermarket breads etc. The issue is what is most important to avoid.

I agree. It could really be take to mean any food product prepared in any way. Everythig from pasta and beans to Twinkies.