PDA

View Full Version : "You will never play here again."

spunkloaf
03-27-2012, 02:45 AM
My mom just told me something disheartening that happened 4 years ago which I hadn't known about. She's played in a band for most of her life. It's a mixture of new and old country, pop, and rock. They played at a nearby legion club 4 years ago where they had played for 2 decades. After playing a certain song, the band was ostracized. The song was Traveling Soldier by The Dixie Chicks. My mom is the most apolitical person I have ever met. She hates controversy and likes to go with the center mainstream regarding opinions. She wasn't aware of any controversy surrounding the musical group she had chosen to cover, which she thought was actually a nice tribute to soldiers and veterans because of the lyrical content. Immediately after playing it, a lead veteran of the club approached her and swore to her that they would never play there again.

The controversy comes from a personal opinion made by Natalie Maines, the frontwoman of the Chicks, on a London stage in 2003. She said "Just so you know, we're on the good side with y'all. We don't want this war, this violence. And we're ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas."

How does it come to pass that such a comment can be construed as disrespectful to veterans, so much that a harmless cover band would be punished for playing their songs? I know exactly why. As if it's not bad enough that senior citizens die, my own mother's livelihood is a direct victim of the arrogance broadcasted by Fox News.

MMC
03-27-2012, 05:28 AM
How can it be disrespectful to Veterans? It's not. Seems it was how that guy felt. It would not bother me at all, and I am a Veteran. First one must consider the source. Seeing how it is some sheeple that doesnt understand more than Politics 101. I wouldn't be even bothered by it.

Mister D
03-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Fox News again?

Conley
03-27-2012, 08:31 AM
That is a disheartening story Spunk, good way to put it and it's sad that it happened. If she's been playing there for twenty years they should know her well enough to not think she was trying to be disrespectful toward anyone. As far as I'm concerned, it's their loss she won't be playing there any more. If they're going to treat her like that, why would she want to go back?

The thing you have to realize about Fox News (or MSNBC, or any of a million other things) is that even without those channels, there will still be a certain segment of the population that is a little slow and easily led around by the nose. That is not the fault of Fox News. I think your crusade would be better aimed at ignorance than at Fox News.

Mister D
03-27-2012, 08:41 AM
If she had watched more Fox News she could have educated herself on who the Dixie Hicks were. Instead, she would rather insult our veterans. Nice mom you got there, Spunk. :rollseyes:

spunkloaf
03-27-2012, 10:43 AM
That is a disheartening story Spunk, good way to put it and it's sad that it happened. If she's been playing there for twenty years they should know her well enough to not think she was trying to be disrespectful toward anyone. As far as I'm concerned, it's their loss she won't be playing there any more. If they're going to treat her like that, why would she want to go back?

The thing you have to realize about Fox News (or MSNBC, or any of a million other things) is that even without those channels, there will still be a certain segment of the population that is a little slow and easily led around by the nose. That is not the fault of Fox News. I think your crusade would be better aimed at ignorance than at Fox News.

Ignorance can be forgivable to a certain extent. It's the people who use that ignorance to a profitable or reputable advantage who deserve to be flogged, skinned, soaked in gasoline, set on fire, dowsed in salt, and set on fire again.

spunkloaf
03-27-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm a moron.

Yes.

Mister D
03-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Why does your mom like to insult veterans?

spunkloaf
03-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Why am I such a fucking moron?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Mister D
03-27-2012, 11:19 AM
When did your mom start hating veterans? At least we see where you get it from now.

spunkloaf
03-27-2012, 11:24 AM
What should I do when I start getting itchy and sore down there?

Take it out and put in a fresh one.