PDA

View Full Version : Illinois congressman owes $117K child support

Conley
07-28-2011, 01:58 PM
CHICAGO (AP) — Illinois Rep. Joe Walsh, the tea party-backed Republican who squeaked into office last year by vowing to bring fiscal responsibility to Washington and who has been one of President Barack Obama's most outspoken critics during the standoff over the debt ceiling, is being sued for more than $100,000 in unpaid child support, a newspaper reported.

The freshman congressman's ex-wife, Laura Walsh, filed the claim against him in December as part of their divorce case, saying he owed $117,437 to her and their three children, the Chicago Sun-Times reported in a story published Wednesday. She contends that Walsh loaned his own campaign $35,000 and took international vacations but said he couldn't afford child support payments because he was between jobs or out of work.

"Joe personally loaned his campaign $35,000, which, given that he failed to make any child support payments to Laura because he 'had no money' is surprising," Laura Walsh's attorneys wrote in the motion. "Joe has paid himself back at least $14,200 for the loans he gave himself."

http://news.yahoo.com/ex-wife-ill-congressman-owes-117k-child-support-053204680.html

What is it with pols from Illinois? Seems they're all dirty!

Mister D
07-28-2011, 02:03 PM
This is weird though. If you don't make child support payments you get arrested before anything else happens. I have clients who this has happened to or rather it's happened to their employees. I guess the facts will come out soon. Looks like his lawyer disputes the amount.

Conley
07-28-2011, 02:07 PM
This is weird though. If you don't make child support payments you get arrested before anything else happens. I have clients who this has happened to or rather it's happened to their employees. I guess the facts will come out soon. Looks like his lawyer disputes the amount.

It is weird. It seems to me some of these child support cases can drag on forever while other deadbeats do end up in jail. I think a lot depends on the state and how much pull you have. Given that we're talking about Illinois I wouldn't at all be surprised if this turns out to swing on who you know and how much pull they have. Perhaps Obama has just reinforced it but I have a pretty cynical view of all of Chicago / Illinois politics. MMC hasn't made me any more of a fan either, he seems to think they're all full of it too. ;)

Mister D
07-28-2011, 02:25 PM

It is weird. It seems to me some of these child support cases can drag on forever while other deadbeats do end up in jail. I think a lot depends on the state and how much pull you have. Given that we're talking about Illinois I wouldn't at all be surprised if this turns out to swing on who you know and how much pull they have. Perhaps Obama has just reinforced it but I have a pretty cynical view of all of Chicago / Illinois politics. MMC hasn't made me any more of a fan either, he seems to think they're all full of it too. ;)

From what I've seen they come after you fast. I've had situations whre I missed a week's deduction for whatever reason (usually not my fault :)) and the agency issues warrant or threatens to. They don't mess around.

MMC
07-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Yep and Illinois dont screw around either.....its automatic they will suspend your drivers licnese and you will be put on the dead-beat dad list.

Still why did the reporters put this story in the paper. This is what his wife says. The Court has made no ruling as to how much he owes. Also if there is a change in income all he has to do is report it to the court and they will set up a court date.

That said The Garbage division of the Judicial System in Illinois makes a good deal of money off the misery of others.