PDA

View Full Version : Misuse of Over-The- Counter Drugs.....

MMC
03-28-2012, 11:43 PM
http://health.yahoo.net/yahoohealth/gallery_assist/73/gallery_assist5343/1-otc-drugs.jpg
Every year 200,000 Americans land up in the hospital because they use over-the-counter (OTC) drugs incorrectly. Many people assume that OTC drugs are completely safe since they don’t require a prescription. But this is dangerous thinking.

The main danger with OTC drugs lies with users neglecting to thoroughly read labels. Second, people don’t take the time to consult with their pharmacist to make sure they’ve chosen the right drug. Lastly, these medications can affect women and men very differently – mainly because of weight differences – but dosing directions usually only distinguish between adults and children, posing yet another danger.....snip~

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/healthcare/photos/most-misused-over-counter-drugs#0

I try to use a natural remedy if possible. Or go without.

Conley
03-29-2012, 08:30 AM
So cold/flu meds, tylenol/acetominophen, ppis(like prevacid), antihistamines and NSAIDs like ibuprofen. Got it.

I've never taken a PPI but the other four work great. I've been having spring time allergies lately but haven't need the antihistamines yet. I am probably going to end up taking cetirizine (sp?) generic Claritin.

MMC
03-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I have known some people that didn't have allergies when they were young. But then got them when they were older. My brother is the same way. He don't like to take any prescripts and or OTC drugs.

Conley
03-29-2012, 09:51 AM
For a long time I was against taking any medication. I think it was a toughness thing. Now I am more likely to pop a pill if I feel I have to. Most weeks I don't take anything.

MMC
03-29-2012, 10:39 AM
When I have taken OTC drugs.....I have not had any problems. But I do read those labels due to all the Chinese knockoffs. Now the prescription drugs. With what their making nowadays. They seem to put people into the postion of needing other drugs just from all the dam side affects from the orignial prescribed drugs.

Conley
03-29-2012, 10:54 AM
When I have taken OTC drugs.....I have not had any problems. But I do read those labels due to all the Chinese knockoffs. Now the prescription drugs. With what their making nowadays. They seem to put people into the postion of needing other drugs just from all the dam side affects from the orignial prescribed drugs.

Yeah, the side effects are a concern for me but thankfully I haven't had to take much. I don't take new medicine so I am fairly familiar with the labels. I had never thought about generic drugs coming from China until Vermouth or someone else mentioned it. That is a whole different story and I don't think you can always tell where the medicine is coming from. I guess you just have to trust the pharmacy.

MMC
03-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Yeah, the side effects are a concern for me but thankfully I haven't had to take much. I don't take new medicine so I am fairly familiar with the labels. I had never thought about generic drugs coming from China until Vermouth or someone else mentioned it. That is a whole different story and I don't think you can always tell where the medicine is coming from. I guess you just have to trust the pharmacy.

Either that or putting someone in Charge of the FDA who really will regulate that stuff. I don't see why they would not consider such a priority. Plus we already know how China plays it. There is no other recourse other than to make sure what is being shipped in for this industry is safe for the American people to consume or use.