PDA

View Full Version : A chillin and a grillin

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Yeah, so I had this grill for 9 years, bought it at Wal Mart. I'm finicky about grills, they have to have stainless grates. Ceramic chips and scratches off and the underlying iron rusts. Same with iron grates, they rust immediately.

Wal Mart doesn't sell decent grills anymore and this one I have is falling apart. I replaced the burners 3 times so far but it's getting pretty beat up. I looked around for a while and decided that I didn't want to drop $600 on a decent grill with stainless grates and kept the clunker.

So I started charcoal grilling. What a great move, bought this $40 kettle grill, it has a stainless grate and a cinder bin that catches the charcoal ashes. Dump it out when it's full, little cleanup. I also stumbled on a gas grill with a stainless grate (that's what caught my eye) - an "Aussie Walk-about". It looks like a square cheapie charcoal grill but it's a gas set up to run on propane bottles. $80 and with an additional $17 for a propane tank hose to hook up to my tanks, I have a cheapie gas grill and bagged the clunker.

Steaks and peppers:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/eastms/IMAG0064.jpg

Catfish on the aussie:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/eastms/IMAG0065-1.jpg

Conley
07-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Mmm that looks good, but I don't like the flavor from gas grills. Charcoal and sometimes throwing some wood chips in as well taste so much better. I am all about the natural flame, I grill out way too much, slow cooking, searing, I do all that stuff. I don't mind the actual grill surface so long as what I'm cooking doesn't stick. Generally I get a good char going on the grill pretty quickly (but I haven't bought a new one in years, no need) and just leave it seasoned -- like a frying pan. Works for me. We had a good thread about this on the old site.

Some day I might look into buying one of those big green eggs.

Conley
07-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Steak looks a bit overcooked though, I like it on the rare side. ;D

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 08:11 PM
That's early in the process though, they're still raw in the middle at this stage.

The place I get my steaks from, they like to cut them really thick - like 2 inches, so it takes a long time to cook. When they were done, they were pink in the middle. I like mine rare - bloody but not fleshy but wifey likes them just pink.

The burned up on the edges a little, I had to move them out to the edges after a while and move those peppers into the middle. I like peppers blackened. I did put some soaked wood chips in there, that's where the flame is coming from - they caught on fire.

Mister D
07-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Fish looks great too. The Cap't does not play around.

Mister D
07-28-2011, 08:17 PM
I still have to get a grill. The only problem is that I'm cooking for one. My buddy rents a room but meals aren't included. ;)

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 08:19 PM
That's not a good pic of the fish, wife's suck-ass camera.

I grill a lot of fish. My old grill had a flattened stainless grate with slits cut into it. Great for fish, it was smooth stainless and you could grill fish right on it. I opted for the mesh this time, I didn't want to lose any with that wide grate.

I cook fish a long time, especially catfish - it's fatty. Burn it up, make sure you don't get really big or thick pieces at the store, dry-rub it with cajun, old bay or whatever and burn it up. Great stuff.

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 08:22 PM
I still have to get a grill. The only problem is that I'm cooking for one. My buddy rents a room but meals aren't included. ;)

I picked up that kettle grill at Home Depot on sale for $40. Forgemaster or something like that, it's fantastic.

It's not big at all and considering how cheap it is, it's almost a sin not to buy, you should pick one up.

Grilled food - especially charcoal (and get a little bag of wood chips, soak them for an hour or so and sprinkle a few on the hot coals), man - makes everything better.

Here's a recipe that I do a lot. I get this stuff from the grocery store seasoning section. It's called garlic seasoning, basically dried garlic and probably sawdust or something, but I take pretty much a whole bottle and mix it right into 3lbs of ground beef and make my own patties.

Outstanding burgers, the family eats them up like there's no tomorrow.

Conley
07-28-2011, 08:26 PM

I grill a lot of fish. My old grill had a flattened stainless grate with slits cut into it. Great for fish, it was smooth stainless and you could grill fish right on it. I opted for the mesh this time, I didn't want to lose any with that wide grate.

I cook fish a long time, especially catfish - it's fatty. Burn it up, make sure you don't get really big or thick pieces at the store, dry-rub it with cajun, old bay or whatever and burn it up. Great stuff.

Do you keep it covered and let it melt off or literally let the fat ignite and burn?

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 08:43 PM
I always cover the grill - gas and charcoal.

I only use a little pile with charcoal - maybe 30 briquettes or so. I'm grilling food, not fucking forging steel. Keep the lid on and let that smoke permeate.

Same with the gas, I turn those burners down (unless I'm making wings where I want to burn up the skin) and let that fat drip out.

Mister D
07-28-2011, 09:06 PM

Looks good to me. :)

Yeah, you were telling us about the catfish. I am going to try that in a pan since I don't have the grill yet.

Mister D
07-28-2011, 09:10 PM

I picked up that kettle grill at Home Depot on sale for $40. Forgemaster or something like that, it's fantastic.

It's not big at all and considering how cheap it is, it's almost a sin not to buy, you should pick one up.

Grilled food - especially charcoal (and get a little bag of wood chips, soak them for an hour or so and sprinkle a few on the hot coals), man - makes everything better.

Here's a recipe that I do a lot. I get this stuff from the grocery store seasoning section. It's called garlic seasoning, basically dried garlic and probably sawdust or something, but I take pretty much a whole bottle and mix it right into 3lbs of ground beef and make my own patties.

The charcoal grills are pretty inexpensive. It just seems like a lot of work for one guy. :-\ I should just do it though. I like cooking so why deprive myself?

Garlic powder in chop meat is awesome. I sometimes use crushed fresh garlic instead but either will do. Onion is great too and not just for the flavor. I buy lean meat and the onion helps keep it moist.

Conley
07-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Never hurts to have leftovers imo. Cheaper than eating lunches out.

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 09:16 PM
A buddy of mine who is a good griller IMO told me to get the high fat meat.

He's also broke as hell and I have to discount his suggestion in that respect, but I buy leaner ground meat for burgers. The fattier meat shrinks up too much and starts grease fires. Fuck that.

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 09:17 PM

The charcoal grills are pretty inexpensive. It just seems like a lot of work for one guy. :-\ I should just do it though. I like cooking so why deprive myself?

Garlic powder in chop meat is awesome. I sometimes use crushed fresh garlic instead but either will do. Onion is great too and not just for the flavor. I buy lean meat and the onion helps keep it moist.

Do it! I command you!

;D ;D ;D

Seriously, you'll be glad you did. Plenty of summer left for grilling and if you're like me, you'll be out there in a snowstorm in February grilling something up with the neighbors wondering what the fuck you're up to.

Conley
07-28-2011, 09:19 PM

He's also broke as hell and I have to discount his suggestion in that respect, but I buy leaner ground meat for burgers. The fattier meat shrinks up too much and starts grease fires. Fuck that.

Depends what you're cooking and for how long...some of the fat tough cuts can be delicious as long as you take your time with them.

Edit: I grilled in our garage last winter...set off our carbon monoxide detector even though the door was open.

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 09:28 PM

Depends what you're cooking and for how long...some of the fat tough cuts can be delicious as long as you take your time with them.

Edit: I grilled in our garage last winter...set off our carbon monoxide detector even though the door was open.

I don't like straight fat. My mom did, she could eat it straight up. Blech - too chewy, greasy, slimy. I like my fat ground up like in sausage.

Steaks - for grilling I like ribeye (those were ribeye's in the pic) and delmonico. Marbled fat, it's great. Steaks like strip are only fatty on the edges and have to be cooked fast and lean (rare).

Wings - I can grill me some wings and they're really fatty, the skin and all but they have to be crispy.

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Fat - yeah, I went to a BBQ festival in Maine last weekend. Ate a shitload of ribs, I haven't shat since.

Actually I have, several times now but I'm being dramatic, but the stand where I bought my ribs - there was this guy deep frying pork rinds in a turkey fryer. Actual pig skin, deep fried and seasoned - like those cheap snacks you see at gas stations so I bought a bag.

Man, they were great.

Conley
07-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Fat - yeah, I went to a BBQ festival in Maine last weekend. Ate a shitload of ribs, I haven't shat since.

Actually I have, several times now but I'm being dramatic, but the stand where I bought my ribs - there was this guy deep frying pork rinds in a turkey fryer. Actual pig skin, deep fried and seasoned - like those cheap snacks you see at gas stations so I bought a bag.

Man, they were great.

Ohh I'm drooling now. Yeah that sounds really good. Ribs are an art, but I wouldn't even know how to begin to make pork rinds.

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 09:44 PM
The ribs were good too. Took the family and mom-in-law. They had beer there, that was a bonus but you could only drink it in the courtyard near the center stage of the fairgrounds. State law thing I guess, so I had to venture out and get ribs and shit while my brood kept a picnic table and beer ready. It was near a race track where they do harness racing.

They had bands but while we were eating they had a belly dancing event going on. About a dozen women (most of them who should be wearing more than less) did this belly dancing stunt that went on longer than it should. After eating, they were still dancing and I called my dad to see what was going on.

Now this is Maine - it's a different kind of redneck, dumbfuck going on here. The belly dancing thing was probably considered a cultural event for them. I called my dad to see what he was up to and told him that I was at the racetrack in Maine watching bellydancers.

My wife quoted me on that several times now.

Conley
07-28-2011, 09:46 PM
:D :D :D

Gotta say I was already pretty high on Maine, all these stories and $2 beers just makes me want to visit there even more.

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 09:54 PM

Gotta say I was already pretty high on Maine, all these stories and $2 beers just makes me want to visit there even more.

I did some work in Yuma, AZ last fall. Went to SD to visit the zoo and beach and I could live out there. Loved the heat and SD was like a tropical paradise from the desert.

The east coast is where I grew up and where I belong, but Maine/New Hampshire is a different animal. PA had it's dumbfucks no doubt but the types up here are different. Not worse, not better but different.

It's a touristy area where I'm at now and tourists suck. There's more crime here than I expected and I haven't bought a house yet and I'm getting concerned where I'll land. I'm a NH resident now but I'm thinking I'll buy a place in Maine, I'm right on the border. Maine has less tourists, more lakes and fishing and the communities are more community oriented than where I'm at now which is pretty much a big tourist trap.

My wife can tell, we tend to lean toward Maine when we recreate than NH.

I still miss PA, I'd rather be there. No crime where we were at, fishing was great, forests were pristine. She likes it better here, more to do but when I retire, she's going to have to suck it up because I'm retiring in PA - out in the country, her or not.

MMC
07-28-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm Sicillian and I don't cook, unless it's an absolute must. Although as I have become older I have begun dabbling into it.....now my step-son is working on opening his own restaurant. So I let him handle the grill and my wife the kitchen in da house. Which some nights my step-son wants to cook dinner.

After cooking 7 eating snake.....fish and eating shit that would make a billy-goat puke. Cooking is not art. :-\

Captain Obvious
07-28-2011, 10:03 PM
I'm Sicillian and I don't cook, unless it's an absolute must. Although as I have become older I have begun dabbling into it.....now my step-son is working on opening his own restaurant. So I let him handle the grill and my wife the kitchen in da house. Which some nights my step-son wants to cook dinner.

After cooking 7 eating snake.....fish and eating shit that would make a billy-goat puke. Cooking is not art. :-\

Cooking is great, I do most of the cooking in the CO household.

Especially grilling. It's a primordial thing. Raw meat, fire, spice.

Add beer and a good fuck afterward and I'm ready to piss on my truck tire to mark my territory.

wingrider
07-28-2011, 11:35 PM
hey guys thanks for some of the grilling tips

I do about half the cooking at my house, and have a chefmaster grill, I like to cook sirloin and Chicken on the grill, not to good with the vegies though.. by the way does anyone have any advice on cooking round steak or 7 bone that will get it tender, ??

Mister D
07-29-2011, 08:55 AM

I don't like straight fat. My mom did, she could eat it straight up. Blech - too chewy, greasy, slimy. I like my fat ground up like in sausage.

Steaks - for grilling I like ribeye (those were ribeye's in the pic) and delmonico. Marbled fat, it's great. Steaks like strip are only fatty on the edges and have to be cooked fast and lean (rare).

Wings - I can grill me some wings and they're really fatty, the skin and all but they have to be crispy.

I have a great diet but wings are my vice. Yes, they must be crispy. Undercooked wings are gross.

Mister D
07-29-2011, 08:57 AM

I did some work in Yuma, AZ last fall. Went to SD to visit the zoo and beach and I could live out there. Loved the heat and SD was like a tropical paradise from the desert.

The east coast is where I grew up and where I belong, but Maine/New Hampshire is a different animal. PA had it's dumbfucks no doubt but the types up here are different. Not worse, not better but different.

It's a touristy area where I'm at now and tourists suck. There's more crime here than I expected and I haven't bought a house yet and I'm getting concerned where I'll land. I'm a NH resident now but I'm thinking I'll buy a place in Maine, I'm right on the border. Maine has less tourists, more lakes and fishing and the communities are more community oriented than where I'm at now which is pretty much a big tourist trap.

My wife can tell, we tend to lean toward Maine when we recreate than NH.

I still miss PA, I'd rather be there. No crime where we were at, fishing was great, forests were pristine. She likes it better here, more to do but when I retire, she's going to have to suck it up because I'm retiring in PA - out in the country, her or not.

I think it's quite common for people to have an attachment to the state/region where they grew up.

Maine gets pretty damn cold though, no? Food sounhds goo though. The seafood must be slammin'. Doesn't sound like you are near the coast though. I heard Maine is mostly forest.

Conley
07-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Yeah, since I have no attachment to either state the coastline of Maine would win out over PA...just as long as I can find rural places away from tourists and crowds. I didn't even realize NH was a tourist hotspot, especially in the summer. I guess I figured it'd be good for skiing but not much else to do around there. I'm ignorant, can you tell? :D

Mister D
07-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah, since I have no attachment to either state the coastline of Maine would win out over PA...just as long as I can find rural places away from tourists and crowds. I didn't even realize NH was a tourist hotspot, especially in the summer. I guess I figured it'd be good for skiing but not much else to do around there. I'm ignorant, can you tell? :D

New England is known especuially for it's autumns but the coasts are big summer hangouts. MA, RI, MA...classic shore line and there are of lot of historical sites to see considering that it's one of the oldest settled (by Europeans anyway) places in the country.

Conley
07-29-2011, 09:06 AM
I didn't think NH had much a coastline...maybe they're all touring Concord

Mister D
07-29-2011, 09:11 AM
I didn't think NH had much a coastline...maybe they're all touring Concord

Neither did I but it has a small one.

Captain Obvious
07-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah, all 10 feet of it.

Wife's going to the beach tomorrow with the kids and mom-in-law. I'm going to work.

Captain Obvious
07-29-2011, 09:25 PM

Yeah, I was chatting with my boss today about going to the beach. We're heading down to NC Outer Banks in a couple weeks, he said good luck with the crowd.

Fuck crowds, the Maine coast is crowded as fuck. NC where you can still take your 4x4 down to the beach is where I'm going. We do this shit every year. Get a house on the sound away from the beach and drive down to the spots where it's less crowded.

I'll take pics, it's pretty thin down there - just the way I like it.

Conley
07-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Yeah I used to spend time in the Outer Banks every summer with my family. It's amazing to see how that place has been built up and gotten so crowded. Every year it seemed like more people, but I bet it is still a lot better many places. As for the natural beauty it can't be beat. I remember climbing to the top of Jockey Ridge as a young tike and doing a lot of boogie boarding. It's a great place for kids.

Conley
07-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Are you going to tow a 4x4 or rent one down there?

edit: brain dead I was thinking ATV

Mister D
07-29-2011, 09:29 PM

Yeah, I was chatting with my boss today about going to the beach. We're heading down to NC Outer Banks in a couple weeks, he said good luck with the crowd.

Fuck crowds, the Maine coast is crowded as fuck. NC where you can still take your 4x4 down to the beach is where I'm going. We do this shit every year. Get a house on the sound away from the beach and drive down to the spots where it's less crowded.

I'll take pics, it's pretty thin down there - just the way I like it.

I thought NC's shoreline was a big attraction too. That doesn't get crazy? No surprise Maine is crazy in the summer. I mentioned this conversation at work today and those who have been to Maine say it's a blast this time of year.

Mister D
07-29-2011, 09:32 PM
I heard that Maine is almost 90% woodland. Civilization must be mostly along the coast.

Conley
07-29-2011, 09:33 PM
I have also heard they have a big mosquito problem.

Mister D
07-29-2011, 09:35 PM
I have also heard they have a big mosquito problem.

Yeah, someone mentioned that to me today. Early Spring is supposedly miserable because of the all the melted snow creates a haven for bugs.

Captain Obvious
07-29-2011, 09:35 PM
They do rent ATV's down there, never did it. I know what riding an ATV in sand is like, I don't need that thrill at the beach.

We take our 4x4's down to the beach. My wife's old Durango and my old Ram were down there dozens of times. Trick is you have to reduce your tire pressure down to around 20lbs or less. Unless you do that, you'll be jumping around like a jackrabbit and getting stuck.

A tire pressure gauge and an air pump are mandatory.

Maine is pretty woody but it's pretty trailer trashy as well. Yeah, the coast is way more populated with the upper crust types. Inland you get a mix of characters.

Conley
07-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Dolores Claiborne

:o :o :o

Captain Obvious
07-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Mosquitos are fucking brutal here. Absolutely fucking brutal.

My kid looks like he's been shot up with a pellet gun. PA has a black fly remediation program, the upper NE New England doesn't. It's impossible to be outside in the early morning or late evening, you''re carcass material for mosquitos.

Conley
07-29-2011, 09:41 PM

My kid looks like he's been shot up with a pellet gun. PA has a black fly remediation program, the upper NE New England doesn't. It's impossible to be outside in the early morning or late evening, you''re carcass material for mosquitos.

That sucks, I have a real problem with biting insects. My dreams of visiting Maine just took a major hit.

Mister D
07-29-2011, 09:42 PM

At first thought you wouldn't think so but after it was explained to me it kind of makes sense.

Mister D
07-29-2011, 09:43 PM

That sucks, I have a real problem with biting insects. My dreams of visiting Maine just took a major hit.

Ah, you don't have to buy a house. ;D Just hang out for a bit, eat some lobster and fly back.

Mister D
07-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Dolores Claiborne

A lot of his stories are based in New England just like H. P. Lovecraft's. Lovecraft was great, BTW, if you are into classic horror.

Mister D
07-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Leaving early tomorrow so I'll catch you tomorrow evening.

Conley
07-29-2011, 09:47 PM

Ah, you don't have to buy a house. ;D Just hang out for a bit, eat some lobster and fly back.

:D

Yeah..I definitely want to explore both the coast and the forests, so I'll have to time it right when I do it.

Conley
07-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Leaving early tomorrow so I'll catch you tomorrow evening.

Cool, have a great trip and send us some photos :)

Captain Obvious
07-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Go visit Maine, C - it's pretty decent all things considered.

I'm still partial to rural PA, but I'm a stick in the mud all things considered. I could be a recluse if given the opportunity - maybe, I can be pretty sociable also.

Like anything else it has it's ups and downs and it all depends on what you like and don't like. The dumbfucks up in Maine are a different breed but there are dumbfucks everywhere. Parts of Maine tend to get the really upper crust of society because of the coastal naturalism. Snobby to some degree. The seafood is good, not the best I've had but if you like lobster and clams (and are willing to pay for it like anywhere else), this is your spot. I'm partial to oysters and shellfish myself but when in Rome...

The White Mountain area in NH where I'm at now has a lot of crime. A lot, I was stunned at the amount of crime that goes on here. We've had so far a murder that has gotten national attention, at least three rapes, a child abduction attempt right down the street from us, several armed robberies and drugs are everywhere. I had visions of camping out in the White Mountain forest but I'm not doing that unless I get a conceal/carry permit, which means I'm probably not doing it.

I'm planning on getting a trailer - toy hauler/camper. I'll have the opportunity to get mucho time off in the spring and fall and I'm thinking I'll haul that thing back to PA for trout season and wherever else we decide to go. I probably won't do much in NH for a number of reasons and we'll probably buy a house in Maine right across the border. The fishing is much better there from what I gather and the tourists are less. Tourists suck.

MMC
07-30-2011, 03:36 AM
Wow That sounds like the crime just in one of our Neighborhoods and right down the block. Of course the Media doesn't pick it all up. We will have gang-shootings and half the time by the time the cops show up all that is left is some blood trials or that (thank God)no one got hit. Sometimes people get shot and don't even go to a hospital. Knowing all gun-shot wounds are reported.

I just don't get the ones that are off into raping some chick. There are 17 women to every one man on this planet. They can get it for free. Or even Pay for such. As far as that power shit over them. How does one hold power over another if they have no cooperation. Or there is no tie to that individual. Any power issues are fake, not real anyways. It would be different with like some sort of kidnapping shit where the victim becomes loyal to the kidnapper. Now that is power over another. Hope you guys are catching what I mean here. As to having real power over another.

Conley
07-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Dolores Claiborne

A lot of his stories are based in New England just like H. P. Lovecraft's. Lovecraft was great, BTW, if you are into classic horror.

Yes I prefer Lovecraft to King.

I enjoyed King's stories as a kid but they're all pretty juvenile.

Mister D
07-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Dolores Claiborne

Yes I prefer Lovecraft to King.

I enjoyed King's stories as a kid but they're all pretty juvenile.

A lot of people seem to love the film version of The Shining. I prefer the novel. Jack comes off as a loon from the beginning in the film. It's not like that in the novel. He comes across as much more human a more fully developed character. You get a sense for how much he loves his family.

Conley
07-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Good points. I liked them both, but I think the book worked better for telling the story. Jack was pretty awesome in the movie...generally I don't think he's as great as his reputation makes him out to be. I did enjoy him in Chinatown as well though.

Mister D
07-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Good points. I liked them both, but I think the book worked better for telling the story. Jack was pretty awesome in the movie...generally I don't think he's as great as his reputation makes him out to be. I did enjoy him in Chinatown as well though.

That's probably Nicholson's most famous role, no?

Conley
07-31-2011, 02:55 PM
I think so, yes. Well, maybe the Shining a bit more...One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest was great too. I guess those three are his best.

Mister D
08-02-2011, 08:59 AM
I think so, yes. Well, maybe the Shining a bit more...One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest was great too. I guess those three are his best.

I meant The Shining. I don't recall the plot of Chinatown at all. I don't even know if I ever saw it.

Conley
08-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Ah...yeah you should definitely see Chinatown, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Mister D
08-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Ah...yeah you should definitely see Chinatown, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

I've seen parts of the latter. It's been on televsion enough. I don't remember Chinatown at all though.