PDA

View Full Version : 100 Years After the Cherry Blossoms Bloomed

Don
03-31-2012, 12:56 AM
100 Years After the Cherry Blossoms Bloomed (http://thenewamerican.com/history/american/11318-100-years-after-the-cherry-blossoms-bloomed)

Peter1469
03-31-2012, 08:52 AM
I took a walk from the office last week to look at the cherry blossoms near the Tidal Basis and the Washington monument. Very pretty.

Vilifier of Zombies
03-31-2012, 09:00 AM
100 Years After the Cherry Blossoms Bloomed (http://thenewamerican.com/history/american/11318-100-years-after-the-cherry-blossoms-bloomed)

It's just an allergy attack waiting to happen...I still got conned into going to check 'em out last weekend.

Conley
03-31-2012, 09:01 AM
:laugh:

My allergies are already acting up this season.

Vilifier of Zombies
03-31-2012, 09:05 AM
:laugh:

My allergies are already acting up this season.

Same here, I grew up out West, have lived in Europe, Hawaii, the Northwest, been all over the world, never an allergy problem...I didn't know I'd had seasonal allergies til I moved to the East coast, Cherry Blossoms are the worst.

Conley
03-31-2012, 09:21 AM
I hear you. I've moved around a lot myself and it always took a few years for the allergies to catch up to me. When it's bad I use cetirizine (generic Zyrtec). Some days when I needed to be alert and presentable it has really saved me.

MMC
03-31-2012, 09:37 AM
Same here, I grew up out West, have lived in Europe, Hawaii, the Northwest, been all over the world, never an allergy problem...I didn't know I'd had seasonal allergies til I moved to the East coast, Cherry Blossoms are the worst.

Military VoZ? Is so what branch? Like you I have been all over the US and overseas as well. Albeit my overseas experinces come from the Service.

I was thinking of putting one in my backyard off the creek. Cherry blossom. I already put in a burning Bush and we are looking to getting a Japenese Red Maple for the front of the house.

Conley
03-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Very interesting article Don - this point in particular:

Conventional history insists that the seeds of angry militarism and the lust for empire had always guided the Japanese and as the industry and technology of Japan grew so did its hunger for political control of vital natural resources such as oil, iron, rubber, and cotton as well as its sense of right to empire. Nothing could have prevented Japan from rising into a monstrous realm that terrorized the world until its martial spirit was permanently crushed.

What really happened was that the United States had begun to treat Japan with antipathy and this over time was reciprocated. The London Naval Reduction Agreement of 1930, for example, insisted that Japan be allowed to build a navy of only 60 percent of the size of the British and American fleets (the same percentage allotted to France). This offended Japanese pride. Japan had been an ally of Britain and if Japan had fought on the other side in 1914, the Central Powers would have won the First World War. Japan also was an industrialized and crowded archipelago nation off the coast of a continent, just like Britain, and it was the existence of the British Empire that was offered to justify its larger fleet.

The treaty provided no check on rearmaments. Weimar Germany did all it could to cheat on the Versailles Treaty and Japan quietly broke the London Naval Reduction Agreement. All these attempts to limit the armaments of these powerful nations did was anger their people.

Peter1469
03-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Upstate NY (Ft Drum) was the worst for allergies and me.

Vilifier of Zombies
03-31-2012, 11:55 AM
Upstate NY (Ft Drum) was the worst for allergies and me.

Eight years at West Point, NY I thought was the worst for allergies until we moved to Virginia, even our dog has bad allergies here.

Vilifier of Zombies
03-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Military VoZ? Is so what branch? Like you I have been all over the US and overseas as well. Albeit my overseas experinces come from the Service.

I was thinking of putting one in my backyard off the creek. Cherry blossom. I already put in a burning Bush and we are looking to getting a Japenese Red Maple for the front of the house.

A little bit of both, I was in the Army, my wife's still in the Army and I've always liked traveling up until I'd joined the Army, now not so much, we still go on vacation once or twice a year but that's not my doing, it's my wife's.

Peter1469
03-31-2012, 12:03 PM
I don't have any problems here.

But my allergies are all related to dust and dust mites. The winter-proof building in Upstate NY have lots of dust.

Vilifier of Zombies
03-31-2012, 12:17 PM
I don't have any problems here.

But my allergies are all related to dust and dust mites. The winter-proof building in Upstate NY have lots of dust.

I think it's just the Cherry Blossoms when they're in bloom. Otherwise I don't have a problem here, even when my truck was literally turned lime green because it was covered with pollen or after it'd rained the streets had turned lime green - Cherry Blossoms on the other hand will cause an allergy attack that'll close my eyes shut, I'd equate it with being almost like having your eyes flash burned or snow blind, that itchy sandpaper feeling...

West Point's reservation had some type of pollen that'd get me around the month of April, trout season to be more specific, it wasn't all that bad, that I was just happy to be fishing so I'd suffer through it.

MMC
03-31-2012, 12:38 PM
A little bit of both, I was in the Army, my wife's still in the Army and I've always liked traveling up until I'd joined the Army, now not so much, we still go on vacation once or twice a year but that's not my doing, it's my wife's.

For my brutha and sista.....http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/GHGecko/ANI_GIFs/BUs/Smiley_BU_Sign_Salute_A_Vet.gif 11 Bravo.....Sua Sponte. :m1helmet: