PDA

View Full Version : Chew

Heyduke
05-18-2014, 08:27 PM
I don't usually chew, except on backpacking trips. But, I just put in a fresh Copenhagen from the refrigerator. I gotta say, it's hitting my spot.

Spectre
05-18-2014, 10:24 PM
I don't usually chew, except on backpacking trips. But, I just put in a fresh Copenhagen from the refrigerator. I gotta say, it's hitting my spot.

When I was about 22 i tried some Redman for the first time. An A-ball pitcher [predictably enough!] co-worker that summer urged me to try it.

THAT was a NASTY buzz!!!!! My head spun like a dreidl, and could barely keep my feet. My stomach turned over, but I didn't--miraculously--puke.

First and last. Since then I've seen horrible, disfiguring cases of mouth cancer caused by this habit.

How does this habit affect your dating life, by the way? Chicks doan dig it, mang......

Heyduke
05-19-2014, 12:08 PM
When I was about 22 i tried some Redman for the first time. An A-ball pitcher [predictably enough!] co-worker that summer urged me to try it.

THAT was a NASTY buzz!!!!! My head spun like a dreidl, and could barely keep my feet. My stomach turned over, but I didn't--miraculously--puke.

First and last. Since then I've seen horrible, disfiguring cases of mouth cancer caused by this habit.

How does this habit affect your dating life, by the way? Chicks doan dig it, mang......

I had 1 chew. I probably won't have another until I head for the Trinity Alps in June.

My dating life is non-existent, at this point. I've learned to enjoy life after marriage. I might get lonely and change my mind when I'm 50 years old. I couldn't have handled being alone during my 30's. But, right now, it's working for me. I don't have to worry about Valentines, birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, Mother's Day for anyone other than my mother, etc.. I wake up every day without the requirement of negotiating every little thing. It's a tremendous freedom that I have rarely tasted during my adult life, skipping from a few multi-year relationships into an 8 year marriage.

One of those freedoms is that I can take a chew if I want, without being haggled. As the lid on a Copenhagen says (or used to say), "It satisfies". Now it just says "Satisfaction since 1822".

Peter1469
05-19-2014, 12:18 PM
Copenhagen is dip (finely ground tobacco- with lots of additives); Redman is an example of chew (shredded tobacco leaves, with very little additives).

Captain Obvious
05-19-2014, 12:18 PM
I chew Skoal classic long cut straight.

I tried Cope, buddy of mine chews it regularly (do they still make it in wax sealed cardboard cans?) but I can't, it's too finely cut, I wind up looking like a schlep with that shit all over me.

Captain Obvious
05-19-2014, 12:19 PM

Buddy of mine chews sidepouch (Redman I think) but wads up a couple pieces of bubble gum with it. Says it keeps it together.

Mister D
05-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Buddy of mine chews sidepouch (Redman I think) but wads up a couple pieces of bubble gum with it. Says it keeps it together.

I did that for a Summer when I worked at a gas station. 19? Something like that. Anyway, you wind up spitting the Mississippi River. Haven't bothered with that in many years.

Heyduke
05-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Copenhagen is dip (finely ground tobacco- with lots of additives); Redman is an example of chew (shredded tobacco leaves, with very little additives).

It has to be semantics with every thread, doesn't it? Just kidding :smiley:

Mister D
05-19-2014, 12:31 PM

That's what turns me off about snuff. It has a chemical taste. I prefer the texture of long leaf but I would dip here and there. I stopped a long time ago.

Heyduke
05-19-2014, 12:41 PM

I tried Cope, buddy of mine chews it regularly (do they still make it in wax sealed cardboard cans?) but I can't, it's too finely cut, I wind up looking like a schlep with that shit all over me.

They make a longcut Copenhagen now. I haven't tried it.

It's all got terrible additives in it. American Spirit should start making organic chew. That's what I smoke when I have the occasional cigarette, American Spirit Organic. I honestly think that nicotine has health benefits. Parkinson's prevention, for one.
http://www.livescience.com/15115-5-health-benefits-smoking-disease.html

Not to mention, nicotine is an appetite suppressant and a stimulant. It can help extend a backpacking trip, or serve as comfort during a rainstorm. And sometimes if I drink some water in the wilderness that I have doubts about, I swallow a little chew spit as a defense against parasites. Smoking can keep the mosquitoes away. Ahhhh, the many wonders of tobacco. Did you know that birds will line their nests with a bit of scavenged tobacco to keep the parasites away?

What about this theory? Just brainstorming here...
The best policy is to alternate between smoke and smokeless. Have a smoke. Next time have a chew. Have another smoke. Next day have an upper-lipper, and then a side-lipper, and then chew on the other side. See, that's smart. You don't wear out your lungs or any single area of your gums that way.

Mister D
05-19-2014, 12:42 PM
It also helps level you out when you stumble drunk on a Friday night. :smiley:

Heyduke
05-19-2014, 12:50 PM
It also helps level you out when you stumble drunk on a Friday night. :smiley:

I've noticed that smoking and chewing make the hangover significantly worse. But, at least you made it home on that Friday night because nicotine assists the brain in pooling the cerebrum, cerebellum, the left and the right hemispheres and all that brain matter together. It helps the brain focus on one task, like walking home drunk and not spraining your ankle on the edge of the curb.

Mister D
05-19-2014, 01:00 PM
I've noticed that smoking and chewing make the hangover significantly worse. But, at least you made it home on that Friday night because nicotine assists the brain in pooling the cerebrum, cerebellum, the left and the right hemispheres and all that brain matter together. It helps the brain focus on one task, like walking home drunk and not spraining your ankle on the edge of the curb.

I rarely get hangovers these days. I always make sure I'm hydrated and well fed before it goes down. My worst problem is I get the runs tghe next day if I drink too much beer.

I enjoy the walk home while I chew. Only do it twice a week.

Captain Obvious
05-19-2014, 01:11 PM
They make a longcut Copenhagen now. I haven't tried it.

I have tried it actually, it's a bit dry.

I like the Skoal better, it tastes better.

Captain Obvious
05-19-2014, 01:12 PM
I kinda regularly chew and drink beer, by the fire.

I'm trailer trash, remember?

But to be honest, I don't remember the last time I was hung over. The worst I get lately is a little headache maybe if I get up earlier than normal after drinking some the night before.

I could get rip roaring drunk back when on occasion, don't really do that much anymore. For a number of reasons.

Mr. Mensch
05-19-2014, 01:32 PM
My wife's grandmother used to chew tobacco. It was a very traumatic experience anytime she visited and wanted a kiss.

Heyduke
05-19-2014, 02:11 PM
I kinda regularly chew and drink beer, by the fire.

I'm trailer trash, remember?

But to be honest, I don't remember the last time I was hung over. The worst I get lately is a little headache maybe if I get up earlier than normal after drinking some the night before.

I could get rip roaring drunk back when on occasion, don't really do that much anymore. For a number of reasons.

You and Mr D are lucky (or just smarter than me) that you don't get hangovers. I have about 1 per month or two. I have unlimited access to free beer, as part of my job. Our magazine has beer advertizers. I wouldn't get rip roaring drunk if I were married. That would cause too many problems.

I don't get hammered when I'm with my daughter. If I drink, she beats me at basketball and chess. But, we were out to sushi and the waitress asked if I wanted sake (she's seen me in there before, drinking sake, and she knows I tip better when I've got one tied on). My daughter offered to drive me home. She just got her drivers license, so I ordered the tall bottle.

Mister D
05-19-2014, 02:12 PM
I just prepare for a drinking session.

1751_Texan
05-19-2014, 02:26 PM

Here in Texas we dip snuff. Chew is long tobacco.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNsav0axPbY

Captain Obvious
05-19-2014, 02:34 PM

That guy's a fraud, I've seen the real backwoods dudes in the Carolinas snuff it.

Heyduke
05-19-2014, 02:44 PM

How about 'dip'? Can we all just agree that a dip is a chew, and it comes from a can that you pack in snaps of the forefinger? You squeeze a rectangular or triangular wedge against the edge of the can between your thumb and two forefingers, and then you pack it down with your tongue. That's a dip. It satisfies.

Peter1469
05-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Yes, that is dip.

Perianne
05-19-2014, 03:10 PM
Anyway, you wind up spitting the Mississippi River.

My worst problem is I get the runs tghe next day if I drink too much beer.

And now we know why the Mississippi River is brown.

Before my feller asked me to marry him, he quit all forms of tobacco usage.

Heyduke
05-19-2014, 04:26 PM
And now we know why the Mississippi River is brown.

Before my feller asked me to marry him, he quit all forms of tobacco usage.

It's possible that he goes out with the guys, and maybe he elopes with his tobacco mistress. She's a temptress.
Maybe he has a secret compartment under the carpet and floorboard, like a tiny chew humidor. He takes a pinch out back while he's pruning the hedge, using the gas trimmer, taking care to spit while you're away from the window.

Perianne
05-19-2014, 04:30 PM
It's possible that he goes out with the guys, and maybe he elopes with his tobacco mistress. She's a temptress.
Maybe he has a secret compartment under the carpet and floorboard, like a tiny chew humidor. He takes a pinch out back while he's pruning the hedge, using the gas trimmer, taking care to spit while you're away from the window.

That is possible. But I didn't ask him to quit his tobacco usage. I knew him for many years before we started dating and I knew he used tobacco. I only asked him not to smoke in my house. He doesn't have to hide his tobacco usage from me. Besides, I can tell if someone has been smoking recently.

1751_Texan
05-19-2014, 04:32 PM
How about 'dip'? Can we all just agree that a dip is a chew, and it comes from a can that you pack in snaps of the forefinger? You squeeze a rectangular or triangular wedge against the edge of the can between your thumb and two forefingers, and then you pack it down with your tongue. That's a dip. It satisfies.

chew or chaw is plug tobacco.

You actually chewed on it like a stoggie.

I know because I swallowed a big bite of Bull Durum chaw with juice when I was a kid.

I got a whooping and green gills at the same time.

Heyduke
05-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Besides, I can tell if someone has been smoking recently.

Actually, you can sneak out to the woodshed and pull down a pack of Camel Wides hidden in the rafters. You can put on a leather working glove so your fingers don't pick up the smell. You can hoover that down, come inside, brush your teeth, mouthwash, take a shower with the full shampoo and report for dinner. The only way to tell is by the pupils.

Peter1469
05-19-2014, 04:43 PM
Actually, you can sneak out to the woodshed and pull down a pack of Camel Wides hidden in the rafters. You can put on a leather working glove so your fingers don't pick up the smell. You can hoover that down, come inside, brush your teeth, mouthwash, take a shower with the full shampoo and report for dinner. The only way to tell is by the pupils.

Is that a theory of yours? :wink:

Heyduke
05-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Is that a theory of yours? :wink:

It's purely hypothetical. :wink:

Peter1469
05-19-2014, 04:47 PM
It's purely hypothetical. :wink:

I think about those things all the time too.