PDA

View Full Version : Birds

Perianne
05-19-2014, 04:39 PM
I have a motion-activated light outside my back door. A bird has built a nest there and now has three baby birds. It is sweet to watch the mama and daddy birds feed their babies. They are protective of the nest. These baby birds will grow up to be big birds and the cycle will continue. Life is a glorious thing.

Peter1469
05-19-2014, 04:47 PM
When I was living in my condo doves would do their egg thing in my hanging baskets where I was trying to grow stuff. Very irritating.

Germanicus
05-19-2014, 04:59 PM
I like birds too. When I lived in Wagga Wagga I used to go to a bird sanctuary that was at the botanical gardens there. It was awesome. I dont like to see birds in cages but a bird sanctuary is fine in my opinion.

I have live a wetlands of sorts in my backyard. So I have all kinds of birds around. I like magpies the most. I also like kookaburras. I hear kookaburras laugh at about 5 oclock every morning if Im awake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2wyBU2GzhQ

I can always hear birds chirping. I can hear them right now.M

agpies are pretty hard. but I have never seen one fuck with a kookaburra.

Perianne
05-19-2014, 05:06 PM
One day I was sitting in my chair at the edge of my garage. I was reading something. In the hour or so I sat there, several squirrels came by, as did a couple of chipmunks and a couple of rabbits. They didn't see me sitting there as I was still. Life is so wonderful! These little animals are simply trying to survive.

Bob
05-19-2014, 05:19 PM
I was shocked at all the deer at the area around Yorktown when I was there.

We have deer in our hills but they stay out of sight.

I noticed north of Auburn, CA on an appraisal assignment, some home developments have deer laying in the yards of the homes. But those are also quiet areas.

auburn ca area map

https://www.google.com/maps/vt/data=VLHX1wd2Cgu8wR6jwyh-km8JBWAkEzU4,n35GpMqVjvGKja7SzZT8UI5tM9D2NiYNmDlHQ 4Qtnz-BHzPhFMbISEhQuqFKIsXrg68WcZ-y-I8ySwtFeGh9VnwmMDEsSeDsZvzRFyXOgh3R5ZUsV4hJk_ktBjW ZW2eYHoHBnDFwQLdSBYxyIT1WJUod1TumoAMn6JkSwrBhEfani DVTX4GESbPQEz8ss_dqXoXE9sSY

just north east of the highway ending on the map must be the road to the property.

Bear in mind what Auburn is. It is very hilly and has many oaks and a few pines.

Perianne
05-19-2014, 07:32 PM
I love animals. They taste good, too!

darroll
05-19-2014, 08:27 PM
We have a tiny nut-hatch that is meaner than hell.
He has taken me on many times and always won.

nathanbforrest45
05-20-2014, 06:42 AM
I have a motion-activated light outside my back door. A bird has built a nest there and now has three baby birds. It is sweet to watch the mama and daddy birds feed their babies. They are protective of the nest. These baby birds will grow up to be big birds and the cycle will continue. Life is a glorious thing.

Unless you have owls in the area. Then all bets are off.

Don
05-20-2014, 10:00 PM
When I was living in my condo doves would do their egg thing in my hanging baskets where I was trying to grow stuff. Very irritating.

I had a dove build a nest in my rain gutter this year. We don't get much rain here but when we do they are usually gully (and gutter) washers.

Perianne
05-20-2014, 10:15 PM
Unless you have owls in the area. Then all bets are off.

Do owls eat baby birds?

Dark Mistress
05-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Do owls eat baby birds?

Yes, they will. They will eat animals as large as they are in some cases, but imagine they go for smaller game that is easier to catch and kill. When I did grounds keeping at the cemetery we had a pair of owls that lived in the Evergreens. They would be on different ends of the cemetery and communicate back and forth to one another. Usually during sundown. I miss hearing the owls hoot back and forth.

Dark Mistress
05-20-2014, 10:24 PM
Rabbits are great, but when they are eating up your garden and flower beds, they have got to go. The birds also eat my strawberries, as a result I am having them torn out. I love the strawberries, but the birds eat all of them before we can get to them. My sister who lives a bit north of me says that the mice eat all of their strawberries. They put nets over them to keep the birds out, but apparently the mice love 'em. Nature is great and dandy, but when it destroys my garden, I get irritated.

Perianne
05-20-2014, 10:26 PM
Yes, they will. They will eat animals as large as they are in some cases, but imagine they go for smaller game that is easier to catch and kill. When I did grounds keeping at the cemetery we had a pair of owls that lived in the Evergreens. They would be on different ends of the cemetery and communicate back and forth to one another. Usually during sundown. I miss hearing the owls hoot back and forth.

When my daughter was little, she and I and the miniature dachshund went for a walk in the nearby woods. I noticed an owl eying the dachshund. I thought maybe the owl was contemplating dinner.

Dark Mistress
05-20-2014, 10:51 PM
When my daughter was little, she and I and the miniature dachshund went for a walk in the nearby woods. I noticed an owl eying the dachshund. I thought maybe the owl was contemplating dinner.

I guess he looked tasty. He was probably a good size for a good meal and small enough to take, but fortunately he had protectors.

Peter1469
05-21-2014, 03:46 AM

Probably was.

Heyduke
05-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Had a bat in the house the other night. I chased it around with a tennis racket at 3 am. Lost it. Found it dead two days later behind a framed illustration of Prague. It was one of the bigger ones I've seen around here.
Chicken of the Cave.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9e/cf/20/9ecf205091c639d64134443dad3c0f71.jpg

Chris
05-21-2014, 12:36 PM
Some 15 years ago I started feeding birds in the yard, tons of sunflower seeds. It attracted all sort of birds, a pair of cardinals for instance, who eventually had three sons/daughters, who found nearby partners. But the seed also brought squirrels. Now they were fun to try and shoot or outsmart. The best trick was to mix cayenne in olive oil and mix that in the seed: The birds didn't detects but the squirrels would grimace and spit it out. Eventually I got tired of fighting the squirrels and stopped feeding. But the lady who moved in next door started feeding, and the cardinal family came back, from grandparents to grandchildren.

Don
05-21-2014, 01:11 PM
We don't have as many bird species here in Arizona as we did in Colorado. We do get a lot of hummingbirds though and they are cool. There are also a lot of lovebirds here. I have been told that they escaped from cages and were very adaptable to the climate here and have thrived. They tend to hang out together in small flocks. They are very colorful and they sing beautifully. Its almost like they have a very sophisticated language. I've thought about getting a few birds but I don't think I could keep them caged up.

Kalkin
05-21-2014, 02:29 PM
One day I was sitting in my chair at the edge of my garage. I was reading something. In the hour or so I sat there, several squirrels came by, as did a couple of chipmunks and a couple of rabbits. They didn't see me sitting there as I was still. Life is so wonderful! These little animals are simply trying to survive.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f39/object47/3-1-1_zps8da4ddfd.jpg

Codename Section
05-21-2014, 02:32 PM
Rabbits are great, but when they are eating up your garden and flower beds, they have got to go. The birds also eat my strawberries, as a result I am having them torn out. I love the strawberries, but the birds eat all of them before we can get to them. My sister who lives a bit north of me says that the mice eat all of their strawberries. They put nets over them to keep the birds out, but apparently the mice love 'em. Nature is great and dandy, but when it destroys my garden, I get irritated.

My mama got an outdoor cat named One Eye and set up a doghouse by her garden. No problems with voles after One Eye appeared. He was smart enough to avoid gators (unlike the dogs) and killed all the vermin.

Perianne
05-25-2014, 03:46 PM
Baby birds today:

Bob
05-25-2014, 04:03 PM
We don't have as many bird species here in Arizona as we did in Colorado. We do get a lot of hummingbirds though and they are cool. There are also a lot of lovebirds here. I have been told that they escaped from cages and were very adaptable to the climate here and have thrived. They tend to hang out together in small flocks. They are very colorful and they sing beautifully. Its almost like they have a very sophisticated language. I've thought about getting a few birds but I don't think I could keep them caged up.

There is a tiny town on CA road 41, it might be Coarsegold or Oakhurst, where as I sat eating at a cafe, the most amazing bunch of humingbirds were there eating from the bird feeders back of the cafe. Constant amusement for those of us having lunch. In Coarsegold, they even have a street named Hummingbird.

35815 HUMMINGBIRD LN, COARSEGOLD, CA ... - Re/Max (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CGgQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.remax.com%2Frealestatehomesfo rsale%2F35815-hummingbird-ln-coarsegold-ca-93614-gid100004905079.html&ei=9liCU5H1IYHgoATKkIKABg&usg=AFQjCNF6I--DIko6z5mUrsO16L8TSGGn2g&sig2=TU-cw0q4wjQiS63bjFCmhQ&bvm=bv.67720277,d.cGU)www.remax.com › Property Search (http://www.remax.com/homevalues/search/) › Coarsegold, CA (http://www.remax.com/realestatehomesforsale/coarsegold-ca-p001.html?query=lasttranprice-dorder/tab-recent/days-1095)[/URL]

[URL="http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:AliMFAHm334J:www.remax.com/realestatehomesforsale/35815-hummingbird-ln-coarsegold-ca-93614-gid100004905079.html+&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us"] (https://www.google.com/search?q=coarsegold+ca&rlz=1C1GPEA_enUS319&oq=coarsegoa&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.5572j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#)

RE/MAX

Visit RE/MAX for a home value approximation for 35815 HUMMINGBIRD LN today. Look through RE/MAX home values listings to address your real estate ...

I was also at Oakhurst so perhaps this is the cafe I had lunch at.

It mentions hummingbirds.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32809-d618488-Reviews-El_Cid_Mexican_Cuisine-Oakhurst_California.html

Bob
05-25-2014, 04:05 PM
do you know that birds are related to Dinosaurs?

Matty
05-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Baby birds today:

What are they?

Bob
05-25-2014, 04:12 PM
What are they?

I have been trying to hunt them down to find out.

Not sparrows. Starlings maybe????

I am thinking Starlings

See adult photo

Perianne
05-25-2014, 04:43 PM
What are they?

I posted a picture. I take it ya'll can't see the picture. I don't know what else to do.

Perianne
05-25-2014, 04:43 PM
I posted a picture. I take it ya'll can't see the picture. I don't know what else to do.

Oh... sorry. I thought it said "where are they". They are robins.

Bob
05-25-2014, 05:32 PM
I looked up pictures of young Robins. Sure are pretty birds. There are photos of them that look like yours do.

Perianne
05-25-2014, 05:42 PM
I hope my baby birds don't grow up to be smokers.

http://www.unexplainable.net/brainbox/uploads/1/Smoking_Bird_1.jpg

Perianne
05-27-2014, 12:11 PM
The baby birds have flown away. I hope they have a good life, get up early, and always get the worm.

Matty
05-27-2014, 01:00 PM
The baby birds have flown away. I hope they have a good life, get up early, and always get the worm.

Tell them to watch out for a very short legged friendly looking white dog with a speckled left ear. :)

Bob
05-27-2014, 01:04 PM

I noticed when you posted the photo that the feathers appear to be fully developed. Birds want to live free.

I suppose they eat many insects of enormous variety.

To them, a bug looks like steak does to us.

Redrose
07-13-2014, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=Perianne;622621]I have a motion-activated light outside my back door. A bird has built a nest there and now has three baby birds. It is sweet to watch the mama and daddy birds feed their babies. They are protective of the nest. These baby birds will grow up to be big birds and the cycle will continue. Life is a glorious thing.[/QUOTE Perianne

I have rescued several wild baby birds over the years. Last summer I found one, injured on my lawn. I nursed her back to health and released her about 10 days later. She had a bent wing, and was easy to identify. She returned and built a nest in a planter in my garden. Two babies hatched last Sunday. She doesn't fly away when I'm near. I'd like to think she remembers me and knows her chicks are safe.

PolWatch
07-13-2014, 03:56 PM
I have a gourd full of yellow warblers & a nest box of eastern bluebirds...watching those mama's work makes me glad I was not a mother bird! We noticed that the seed was disappearing from our feeder at an alarming rate. I also feed stray cats (and have them fixed) and noticed that the food was really going fast.

My husband blamed the squirrels...but I noticed it was happening after dark (no ninja squirrels). We set out a live animal trap and...yesterday he hauled off raccoon #23. We live on a bayou and apparently the raccoons have decided that cat food & bird seed beats working for your dinner (more welfare bums!). My husband takes the critters to some woods on the other side of an interstate and releases them. I find myself singing the Jeffersons' theme song "Moving on up to the east side". The new area is near an affluent neighborhood...maybe the raccoons will be getting a better quality garbage....

monk
07-16-2014, 02:15 AM
I have been trying to hunt them down to find out.

Not sparrows. Starlings maybe????

I am thinking Starlings

See adult photo

They can talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZYG00_qvE
They are related to the mynah.

monk
07-16-2014, 02:16 AM
Notice the simularities in speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJl_YRJOwg8

PolWatch
07-16-2014, 08:55 AM
Starlings are smart birds...that don't belong in this country. They destroy native songbirds nests and take over the nesting sites. Another species brought to this country without any thought...kinda like an avian kudzu.

Private Pickle
07-18-2014, 11:17 PM

Baby birds are tasty.

Bob
07-18-2014, 11:50 PM
They can talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZYG00_qvE
They are related to the mynah.

I get a kick out of birds talking.

When I worked at a Chevron gas station as a college student, next door I took my greasy uniform to be cleaned. The cleaners had this huge black bird, that I believe was a Mynah, that imitated buses as they stopped. It made the noise of the brakes and other noises. It amused me when I paid for my cleaning.