PDA

View Full Version : Study Suggest: Oceans Started Warming 135 Years Ago......

MMC
04-02-2012, 10:49 PM
The world's oceans have been warming for more than 100 years, twice as long as previously believed, new research suggests.
The findings could help scientists better understand the Earth's record of sea-level rise, which is partly due to the expansion of water that happens as it heats up, researchers added.

From 1872 to 1876, the HMS Challenger sailed the world's oceans along a 69,000-nautical-mile track, crossing the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific oceans. During the voyage, scientists among the 200-person crew took 300 ocean-temperature profiles, or measurements at several depths in each spot, with pressure-protected thermometers.

Roemmich and his colleagues compared Challenger temperatures with data from the modern-day Argo project, which uses 3,500 free-drifting floats to measure the temperature and salinity, or salt content, of the world's oceans every 10 days. The comparison showed a 1.1-degree Fahrenheit (0.59-degree Celsius) temperature increase at the ocean's surface over the last 135 years, a result corroborated by a large body of sea-surface temperature data that goes back more than 100 years.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/oceans-started-warming-135-years-ago-study-suggests-132805074.html

According to these guys they are saying that the ocean is the most direct imbalance in the whole climate system.

wingrider
04-03-2012, 12:28 AM
interesting topic MMC.. yes you would think that considering the earth is about 2/3 water surface and the heat of the sun that it would make quite a bit of difference.it is a proven fact also that temperatures go up first followed by a rise in CO2 levels. this leads me to wonder it it isn't the oceans warming over the vast surface of the earth that is causing global warming rather than man is causing it all

Conley
04-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Interesting...I never am quite sure as far a new interpretation on old data without some sort of breakthrough that prompts the re-analysis.

Roemmich also thinks the results have important implications for understanding the imbalance of the planet's energy budget. Previous research has shown that the Earth is absorbing more heat than it is radiating, and that 90 percent of the excess heat added to the climate system since the 1960s has been stored in the oceans. "So that means that the ocean temperature is probably the most direct measure we have of the energy imbalance of the whole climate system," he said.

MMC
04-03-2012, 04:38 PM
interesting topic MMC.. yes you would think that considering the earth is about 2/3 water surface and the heat of the sun that it would make quite a bit of difference.it is a proven fact also that temperatures go up first followed by a rise in CO2 levels. this leads me to wonder it it isn't the oceans warming over the vast surface of the earth that is causing global warming rather than man is causing it all

I would agree with you as well WR.

MMC
04-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Interesting...I never am quite sure as far a new interpretation on old data without some sort of breakthrough that prompts the re-analysis.

What I thought was interesting was that they took in account for todays testing as compared with what it was back then.

spunkloaf
04-04-2012, 12:52 AM
My ass just contributed to global warming.

wingrider
04-04-2012, 01:12 AM
darn methane any how LOL

MMC
04-04-2012, 01:22 AM

Mine did to Spunk.....see I was out in California and we went to Blacks Beach/Nude/Private. Thing was Back then I didnt know it was a Nude Beach.
So we get there I am thinking hey man Cool. This is going to be great. As I am watching all these women head in there. So the guys I am with, all gets us a spot and we out kicking just laying there. (They were all in on it as i was from Chicago and never been there before)

Well there was one slight problem see. While these guys were use to laying around naked women who blond and absolutley gorgeous walking around them smiling and kicking it etc etc. I was not. So these guys decide to be funny, and star calling over some of the chicks they knew. Well now i have women coming over glistning with little beads of water running all up and down their bodies. Hey Lori i want you to meet MMC. So I am like alight Im' cool. How ya doing blah blah blah. Good she is leaving, and see that when it happend. As she walked by me and put her hand on my head.

Well Lil MMC decided he was going to wake up regardles of me trying to knock him out again. So Lil MMC decides to stir and one of these jamokes catches it. So now they star calling over these chicks and a couple are jogging ,see and golden, Blond, wet, glistning bodies. Well now lil MMC is awake and stretching and catching that fresh air. So eyes see em comin and they calling more over. So I rolled over and had to bury lil MMC. Hold a conversation while these guys are just laying there not even phased by what they are seeing. laughing their azzes off. Finally eyes get break for lil MMC.

So i break for the Ocean Water waist deep. I'm think yeah I am good. Then I look around and see i am in the ocean. In California, Home of white sharks. i looked down, left righ around. So I helped add to the warming of the sea. Then I high-tailed it out and wihtout hesitation left the beach. got my clothes and stood outside waiting for when they got out. Course I had to smoke some green so that i wouldnt be to pist at these guys for setting me up. :laugh:

spunkloaf
04-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Ha.:laugh:

gophangover
04-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Global warming and global cooling is inevitable. When the sun reaches the end of it's life, so will earth. So as Confucius said (according to my 9th grade world history teacher), "When rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it."
My World history teacher was also the football coach. He died going off a cliff with the football team. A thousand foot drop off of Monarch Pass.

BTW, our solar system is traveling through space at 18.5 miles per second. Odds are, something is going to crash into earth and then global warming will be pretty insignificant.

Mister D
04-30-2012, 08:51 AM
The Koch brothers created huge space heaters under the world's oceans. It's all part of their war on the oceans.

waltky
05-04-2016, 07:11 AM
Ocean oxygen levels decreasing...
:shocked:
Scientists: Oceans Rapidly Losing Oxygen
May 03, 2016 - Fish need oxygen to breathe as much humans do, and two new reports say there is less and less of it in some of the world's oceans.

According to the U.S. National Center for Atmospheric Research as changes in winds and temperature caused by global warming lead to warmer surface water temperatures, the oceans are absorbing less oxygen.

http://gdb.voanews.com/A6764CB9-4FD5-44E9-8B5C-420441232232_w640_r1_s.jpg
A man walks along the Indian Ocean as the tide goes out at Coco Beach in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

There are already a number of areas -- so called dead zones -- where fish don't have enough oxygen to live and either die or swim to safety. Cold water absorbs and holds more oxygen than warm water, so as the water continues to warm the report predicts nature’s ability to replenish the loss may become overwhelmed by early 2030s.

http://gdb.voanews.com/F085D5AC-B401-48AE-BB31-5701BFD67C07_w640_s.jpg
Deoxgenation due to climate change is already detectable in some parts of the ocean. New research from NCAR finds that it will likely become widespread between 2030 and 2040. Other parts of the ocean, shown in gray, will not have detectable loss of oxygen due to climate change even by 2100.

In its latest study, published in the journal Global Biogeochemical Cycles, the Center says deoxygenation can already be seen in some parts of the Pacific Ocean. Scientists warn even if we curb the present level of CO2 emissions, the damage to marine ecosystems may already have been made irreversible.

http://www.voanews.com/content/scientists-say-oceans-are-rapidly-losing-oxygen/3313942.html

See also:

Can Artificial Mountain Change Microclimate?
May 03, 2016 - Most scientists believe than our planet is getting hotter and drier and that the trend will be hard to reverse, especially in flat regions such as the Arabian Peninsula.

Among other reasons these regions do not have much rainfall is a lack of so-called updraft — vertical movement of the moist air that occurs when horizontal winds hit a mountainside.

So one Persian Gulf nation, the United Arab Emirates, is seriously considering building a mountain to try to change its climate. While it does not have experience in mountain-building, the UAE has successfully built an artificial lake — Lake Zakher, in the desert near the border with Oman.

http://gdb.voanews.com/125B9FA1-8D63-4F65-8AE7-F00FEBEE053F_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy1_cw0.jpg
The sun sets in the Rub' al-Khali desert, which encompasses most of the southern third of the Arabian Peninsula. One reason that such regions are so dry is that they lack vertical movement of moist air.

Scientists from the U.S.-based University Corporation for Atmospheric Research say they are now studying local climatology to determine the best location for and dimensions of the proposed mountain.

If the project materializes, moist air from the Gulf could climb up the mountainside and cool, while seeding the clouds from aircraft with eco-friendly chemicals would help create much needed rain, changing the local climate.

http://www.voanews.com/content/artificial-mountain-change-microclimate/3313958.html

waltky
01-10-2018, 11:33 PM
Failure to rein in global temperature rises could cause the marine food web to collapse...

Scientists: Warming Oceans Could Scupper Marine Food System
January 09, 2018 — Failure to rein in global temperature rises could cause the marine food web to collapse, devastating the livelihoods of tens of millions of people who rely on fisheries for food and income, scientists have warned.

Warming oceans restrict vital energy flows between different species in the marine ecosystem, reducing the amount of food available for bigger animals — mostly fish — at the top of the marine food web, according to a study in the journal PLOS Biology published Tuesday. This could have "serious implications" for fish stocks, said Ivan Nagelkerken, a professor of marine ecology at Australia's University of Adelaide and one of the study's authors. Globally, about 56.5 million people were engaged in fisheries and aquaculture in 2015, according to the latest data from the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). In addition, almost a fifth of animal protein consumed by 3.2 billion people in 2015 comes from fish, FAO said.

https://gdb.voanews.com/6A6038BE-730C-430B-8C18-2AB6AA4DE206_w1023_r1_s.jpg
Fishermen unload fish at a jetty in Samut Sakhon province, Thailand, March 11, 2016. In a study published Jan. 9, 2018, scientists warn that increases in global temperatures could devastate the marine food web and lead to "serious implications" for fish stocks.

The Adelaide scientists set up 12 large tanks, each holding 1,800 liters of water, in a temperature-controlled room to replicate complex marine food webs, and test the effects of ocean acidification and warming over six months. Plant productivity increased under warmer temperatures but this was mainly due to an expansion of bacteria which fish do not eat, Nagelkerken said in a phone interview. The findings show that the 2015 Paris agreement on curbing global warming must be met "to safeguard our oceans from collapse, loss of biodiversity and less fishery productivity." Under the landmark agreement, world leaders agreed to limit the rise in average global temperatures to 1.5 to 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial times.

The United Nations, however, has warned the world is heading toward a 3-degree increase by 2100. Recent studies have sounded alarm bells for oceans and its inhabitants as the Earth continues to experience record-breaking heat. A Jan. 4 paper published in the journal Science said "dead zones" — where oxygen is too low to support most marine life — more than quadrupled in the past 50 years due to human activities. Another said high ocean temperatures are harming tropical corals, which are nurseries for fish, almost five times more often than in the 1980s.

https://www.voanews.com/a/warming-oceans-threaten-marine-food-system-scientists-say/4200654.html