PDA

View Full Version : What's Cooking? Memorial Day,

Matty
05-24-2014, 03:00 PM
I made a nice cole slaw
husband is doing a pork roast on the Green Egg.
baked cheese potatoes.

Iced tea!

Watermelon

Peter1469
05-24-2014, 03:06 PM
I should think of something to cook.

Perianne
05-24-2014, 03:07 PM
I made a nice cole slaw
baked cheese potatoes.

Iced tea!

Watermelon

Sounds yummy! How do you do cheese potatoes?

Dark Mistress
05-24-2014, 03:09 PM
I'm feeling a burger myself (no bun). And some rainbow jello salad. Got the watermelon. Homemade Strawberry limeade. Still trying to get my appetite back from another bout of flu.

Dark Mistress
05-24-2014, 03:10 PM
I made a nice cole slaw
baked cheese potatoes.

Iced tea!

Watermelon

Ever heard of Funeral Potatoes? Are those you're baked cheese potatoes? I LOVE funeral potatoes.

Perianne
05-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Still trying to get my appetite back from another bout of flu.

Poor girl. I hate the flu. I haven't had it in over ten years, knock on wood.

Matty
05-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Sounds yummy! How do you do cheese potatoes?
Bake the potatoes, cut in half scoop them out, mix potato with cheese butter salt pepper and a little half n half, refill shell and bake til hot.

Matty
05-24-2014, 03:17 PM
Ever heard of Funeral Potatoes? Are those you're baked cheese potatoes? I LOVE funeral potatoes.
No, I'll have to look that up.

Matty
05-24-2014, 03:20 PM
I should think of something to cook.

Do you like steak?

Dark Mistress
05-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Poor girl. I hate the flu. I haven't had it in over ten years, knock on wood.

It's the children who get it from other children and bring it home to me! We should be past it by now I say! At least only one of the four kiddies got it this time. And she finally figured out how to throw up in a bucket-SCORE

Perianne
05-24-2014, 03:26 PM
It's the children who get it from other children and bring it home to me! We should be past it by now I say! At least only one of the four kiddies got it this time. And she finally figured out how to throw up in a bucket-SCORE

Dark Mistress, if you don't mind saying - and only if you feel comfortable - how old are your babies?

Dark Mistress
05-24-2014, 03:29 PM
No, I'll have to look that up.

They are also called hashbrown potatoes and a lot of the recipes call for a bag of frozen hash browns. Don't do this! They are best homemade. We bake our potatoes and then dice them. They have cheese, sour cream, ranch packet mix, butter, crushed corn flakes topped with more butter. Heck, here's my sister's food blog and her recipe.
http://www.foodbringsfamiliestogether.blogspot.com/2009/01/funeral-potatoes.html

Dark Mistress
05-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Dark Mistress, if you don't mind saying - and only if you feel comfortable - how old are your babies?

6,5, 3 1/2 and almost one!

Dark Mistress
05-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Bake the potatoes, cut in half scoop them out, mix potato with cheese butter salt pepper and a little half n half, refill shell and bake til hot.

Ooo we call those "twice baked potatoes". Love them.

Perianne
05-24-2014, 03:34 PM
6,5, 3 1/2 and almost one!

Oh, my! Bless you sweetie!

momsapplepie
05-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Haven't decided yet. Just me and hunny this year because we're finishing the kitchen remodel this weekend.
Usually we have the big party, but begged off and offered the 4th this year instead.
Makebe we'll throw some ribs on the smoker for Monday.

Matty
05-24-2014, 03:46 PM
Haven't decided yet. Just me and hunny this year because we're finishing the kitchen remodel this weekend.
Usually we have the big party, but begged off and offered the 4th this year instead.
Makebe we'll throw some ribs on the smoker for Monday.
It's just the two of us also. We cooked today. We won't have to tomorrow. Monday will probably be grilled burgers.

Perianne
05-24-2014, 03:50 PM
My daughter and feller are working on Monday. Just me and the doggies here and they don't care what they eat. momsapplepie, not trying to derail the thread, but I have long considered a smoker. Do you use yours a lot and do they offer a better flavor than my grill?

Bob
05-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Louise told me moments ago, you eat those potatoes and it will be your funeral Bob.

:rofl:

Oh man oh man. They sure sound yummy.

darroll
05-24-2014, 06:51 PM
BBQ
Steak, baked potato, acorn squash

Codename Section
05-24-2014, 07:05 PM
My daughter and feller are working on Monday. Just me and the doggies here and they don't care what they eat. @momsapplepie (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=889), not trying to derail the thread, but I have long considered a smoker. Do you use yours a lot and do they offer a better flavor than my grill?
Perianne

get one. I have one and am happier than a pig in shit with it.

momsapplepie
05-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Perianne We love it! Use it every chance we get. Does involve some time, but the flavors are out of this world! We used to just use a smoker box on the grill, but that was a sorry substitute after you've had the real thing! Normally, we'd be putting up a smoked Brisket right about now!

Perianne
05-24-2014, 11:12 PM
@Perianne (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=762)

get one. I have one and am happier than a pig in shit with it.

I suppose one can't get any happier than that. :)

Peter1469
05-25-2014, 03:09 AM
My parents had one. It was great with sausage.

Matty
05-25-2014, 05:45 AM
I suppose one can't get any happier than that. :)

Well one could be as happy as a speckled pup laying in the summer sun sleeping. One could.

Codename Section
05-25-2014, 07:33 AM
Southernisms. :D Speckled pup.

momsapplepie
05-26-2014, 11:26 PM
Just had the most AWESOME tequila bone-in-Ribeyes, with bacon wrapped corn on the side, Margaritas, fresh cracked macadamias as an appetizer, good friends, No better way to celebrate in memory of those who have passed, and that we have loved. May you all have the gifts our friends and loved ones have given us over the years.