PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Book Club

Libhater
05-26-2014, 05:57 AM
How does one start a book club? Are there any specific rules needed ahead of time to start a book club? Are there certain genres of books or authors that are prohibited from this forum? How exactly does one participate in a specific book club?

Matty
05-26-2014, 07:27 AM
I think you just suggest a book to read. Get others to join in reading it; then meet to discuss.

Libhater
05-26-2014, 07:44 AM
I think you just suggest a book to read. Get others to join in reading it; then meet to discuss.

Thank You.

1751_Texan
05-26-2014, 07:52 AM
Serve snacks. Not cheetos, it turns the pages orange.

Here are some excellent list options:

Codename Section
05-26-2014, 07:53 AM
The ladies who started the one they're doing had its general start in the Book thread where they decided on a book and days to meet. A week before their first meeting they started their thread with a reminder.

Libhater
05-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Serve snacks. Not cheetos, it turns the pages orange.

Here are some excellent list options:

I've read all of those books, and once belonged to the Conservative Book Club that would keep me updated on all of the current Conservative books. Hard to start a book club here I suppose since the books you and I are interested in might not be as appealing to those here that are more interested in discussing older books and books coming from a fiction or a novel type background.

Codename Section
05-26-2014, 08:08 AM
I've read all of those books, and once belonged to the Conservative Book Club that would keep me updated on all of the current Conservative books. Hard to start a book club here I suppose since the books you and I are interested in might not be as appealing to those here that are more interested in discussing older books and books coming from a fiction or a novel type background.

Uh, right? You can't have a book club with just one person. This is why we want people to organize in one thread and not start a million threads on books people either haven't read or don't feel like reading.

I'm probably the only person who would want to read Shooter again and talk about it.

Libhater
05-26-2014, 08:31 AM
Uh, right? You can't have a book club with just one person. This is why we want people to organize in one thread and not start a million threads on books people either haven't read or don't feel like reading.

I'm probably the only person who would want to read Shooter again and talk about it.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that I wouldn't be able to get anyone besides perhaps Texan to read or have any interest in Conservatism. Bottom line is that book clubs on forums like this are relegated to people seeking works of fiction.

Codename Section
05-26-2014, 08:33 AM
Thanks for confirming my suspicion that I wouldn't be able to get anyone besides perhaps Texan to read or have any interest in Conservatism. Bottom line is that book clubs on forums like this are relegated to people seeking works of fiction.

Not to down my own kind but book clubs are something women tend to join because they like to talk about the books they read. Also a non-fiction political book just won't cut it. You could see who wants to both read Hannity and talk about him but I doubt it will happen because political issues are already discussed in threads.

Fiction is different because its not discussed in the daily threads.

Libhater
05-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Not to down my own kind but book clubs are something women tend to join because they like to talk about the books they read. Also a non-fiction political book just won't cut it. You could see who wants to both read Hannity and talk about him but I doubt it will happen because political issues are already discussed in threads.

Fiction is different because its not discussed in the daily threads.

I suppose you are right, but don't the pub and rant sub forums give these fiction lovers all the exposure they may want or need?

Codename Section
05-26-2014, 08:48 AM
I suppose you are right, but don't the pub and rant sub forums give these fiction lovers all the exposure they may want or need?

Ok. You want to read David Duke's book right? Go to the thread where they talk about book clubs in general and ask people to participate. Once you get someone committed to read one of his books, set pages like they did and then a week before open a thread with the book title on it.

Theirs is Jane Austen book club because they intend to read all her books. No offense but you may get like Green Arrow to read one of his books with you but no one is going to read more than one because no one gets married or kissed or whatever. Women aren't going to read David Duke's books because there is no happy ending.

So do it the right way and you can have your book club.

Libhater
05-26-2014, 11:19 AM
Ok. You want to read David Duke's book right? Go to the thread where they talk about book clubs in general and ask people to participate. Once you get someone committed to read one of his books, set pages like they did and then a week before open a thread with the book title on it.

Theirs is Jane Austen book club because they intend to read all her books. No offense but you may get like Green Arrow to read one of his books with you but no one is going to read more than one because no one gets married or kissed or whatever. Women aren't going to read David Duke's books because there is no happy ending.

So do it the right way and you can have your book club.

Bottom line is that these book clubs seem to be for women only, or for books that just cater to women's likes. Oh for the memories of the time I had joined a chit chat club for the gossip crowd. Doze were the good ole daze!

Paperback Writer
05-26-2014, 11:24 AM
You read? As in "books"?

Mister D
05-26-2014, 12:03 PM
How long will this farce continue?

Peter1469
05-26-2014, 12:08 PM
How long will this farce continue?

Not long. Nobody is going to read David Duke under the bed sheets. Those others are not on this forum any longer.

Perianne
05-26-2014, 12:11 PM
Libhater

You might try Pride and Prejudice. It's a good book so far and one that Alyosha thought we may all like. We would welcome your viewpoints providing you are not making fun of us for reading it.

I would read a book with you after Pride and Prejudice. I would recommend The Turner Diaries. Yes, it is a racist book, but it is soooo fitting with today. And before anyone complains, maybe they should read it. I read it years ago and it still has stayed with me. If nothing else, you and I could discuss it, just the two of us. But I suspect others would find it interesting, too.

Libhater
05-26-2014, 12:36 PM
@Libhater (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=305)

You might try Pride and Prejudice. It's a good book so far and one that Alyosha thought we may all like. We would welcome your viewpoints providing you are not making fun of us for reading it.

I would read a book with you after Pride and Prejudice. I would recommend The Turner Diaries. Yes, it is a racist book, but it is soooo fitting with today. And before anyone complains, maybe they should read it. I read it years ago and it still has stayed with me. If nothing else, you and I could discuss it, just the two of us. But I suspect others would find it interesting, too.

One time I attempted to read Pride & Prejudice and I found it extremely hard to stay interested in it. Perhaps it was just her style of writing that bored me, but bored I was nonetheless.

Fictional books that I get amusement and historical content from are those such as Glenn Beck's Agenda #21 that delves into what life might look like had the U.N. Agenda 21 team gotten their way in dealing with their climate warming hoax. Also like Rush Limbaugh's book 'Rush Revere and the Brave Pilgrims' for a looksee into
what our Founders went through on their pilgrimage to the new world. Also like Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged' as it gives a very scary view on how progressive big government stifles private enterprise in lieu of having a collectivist society. Any fictional book that can capture the struggles of our modern day era by putting it into a proper and perhaps a political perspective will always get my attention. But Pride & Prejudice....I don't think so. The 'Mayflower' book is also an excellent choice for those who prefer to go the fictional route.

Paperback Writer
05-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Wot's this then? I vote "no" to him joining our book club. I don't want Pride and Prejudice spoilt by his rubbish.

Perianne
05-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Wot's this then? I vote "no" to him joining our book club. I don't want Pride and Prejudice spoilt by his rubbish.

Libhater can behave. He knows how. But apparently he doesn't want to join our club. No one can stop him, or anyone else, from commenting. All we ask is that no one tries to troll or otherwise be obnoxious, and I would believe he would have the courtesy to not do that.

Now, the same goes for when he and I and maybe others read something. I love reading and like to share with anyone.

But, Libhater, the subject has got to be right.

Libhater
05-26-2014, 01:21 PM
But, Libhater, the subject has got to be right.

I get it....no controversy, no highly emotional or racially inclined topics, no debatable subjects and most of all no subjects that might pierce or bruise someone's thin skin.

Perianne
05-26-2014, 01:26 PM
I get it....no controversy, no highly emotional or racially inclined topics, no debatable subjects and most of all no subjects that might pierce or bruise someone's thin skin.

Libhater, not that at all. Be nice, sir. I am on your side here. I am just saying that I don't want to read something boring, just like you didn't want to read Pride and Prejudice. Pick something you and I and others would enjoy reading.

Codename Section
05-26-2014, 01:32 PM

I already told you to go ahead and see who is interested in reading any political nonfiction as opposed to just talking about the subjects in various threads. It's not going to happen, IMO.

But don't let it stop you. Go to the book thread and see if you get any takers. If you do, set up your subforum but don't put the cart before the horse. We don't need 50 threads on books no one will read.

You'll notice I didn't join the Jane Austen book club. Because I don't want to read about romance and shit. You can't make people interested in your subject or your book. Ask and see what happens.

Libhater
05-26-2014, 01:53 PM
I already told you to go ahead and see who is interested in reading any political nonfiction as opposed to just talking about the subjects in various threads. It's not going to happen, IMO.

But don't let it stop you. Go to the book thread and see if you get any takers. If you do, set up your subforum but don't put the cart before the horse. We don't need 50 threads on books no one will read.

You'll notice I didn't join the Jane Austen book club. Because I don't want to read about romance and shit. You can't make people interested in your subject or your book. Ask and see what happens.

Where do I find this book thread? I know there was once a topic of talk about what book you just read or something.

Perianne
05-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Where do I find this book thread? I know there was once a topic of talk about what book you just read or something.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/forums/47-tPF-Book-Club

Codename Section
05-26-2014, 02:01 PM

I just gave you a callout in it.

Libhater
05-26-2014, 02:01 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/forums/47-tPF-Book-Club

Your kidding me, right? This forum is where I posted a book title and author and when I came back the entire post was deleted, which in essence is the reason why I made those statements concerning the inability or the reluctance of people to get interested in topics that may be displeasing to their sensitivities.

Codename Section
05-26-2014, 02:03 PM
Your kidding me, right? This forum is where I posted a book title and author and when I came back the entire post was deleted, which in essence is the reason why I made those statements concerning the inability or the reluctance of people to get interested in topics that may be displeasing to their sensitivities.

We have a process now. I gave you a callout in the thread were you suggest David Duke's book and see who wants to do it with you. The difference between that and Jane Austen was that they already organized the book club. Notice Moby Dick went nowhere. We don't want 50 million threads that go nowhere.

So get your book club together and then we'll move your thread back up. Promise.

Matty
05-26-2014, 05:14 PM

It it all started right here.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/25560-Reading?highlight=Reading