PDA

View Full Version : William Urged Saints to Injure 49er Players......

MMC
04-07-2012, 07:02 AM
(Reuters) - Former New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, suspended indefinitely for his role in the team's bounty system, can be heard instructing players to hurt opponents, according to audio released Thursday.

Williams can be heard on the recording, taken by documentary filmmaker Sean Pamphilon last season while working on a project, instructing his players to injure members of the San Francisco 49ers ahead of their playoff game in January.
San Francisco quarterback Alex Smith and running back Frank Gore are among the players Williams mentions during a speech before the Saints lost to the 49ers in the Divisional Playoffs.

"We hit (expletive) Smith right there" Williams is heard saying, according to a report on Yahoo! that said the banned coach also pointed under his chin.

"Kill the head, the body will die," Williams was heard saying in another segment of the audio. "We've to do everything in the world to make sure we kill Frank Gore's head.".....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/gregg-williams-urged-saints-players-hurt-49ers-171823001--nfl.html

Well they suspended the Coach who is trying to appeal that decision. They suspended Loomis for 8 games and Vitt for 6. They also fined the Saints 500K and took their Second round draft picks for 2012 and 2013 Seasons.

Does anyone think these consequences were enough? Or are they making more out of this then there really is? One thing is for sure 500k is ennies to an NFL team. What punishments would be appropriate? Does it matter that even if they played 15 games and they all look the same. That this would have some sort of bearing on what this Def Co., was telling his players to do.
Have they proven that he told Specific players on the Saints to injure someone? Or was he talking to the whole team telling them these things?

Captain Obvious
04-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Yeah, the sports media bottom feeders were all over this on the radio yesterday.

This guy's destined for NFL obscurity.

Conley
04-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Yep, we even had a thread on it yesterday with a link to the audio. :wink:

MMC
04-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Peyton was visiting with the NFL commish. I doubt he can get out of it. Still do you think there should be some more punishments handed out? Could they prove in a court of law that the Saint's players deliberately went after anybody like Willams said?

Conley
04-07-2012, 03:02 PM
I don't think the NFL wants this to go anywhere near a court of law. It won't happen. There is plenty of evidence on tape of how the Saints played, but I don't think it's necessarily worse than other teams. The actions and words of the coach are the big deal here and I think he'll be out of the NFL for a while. It should be lifetime IMO. The way the NFL is run it wouldn't surprise me if that turns out to be the case.

MMC
04-07-2012, 05:13 PM
So the Draft is getting ready to make that move.....huh? I just picked up the USA Sports Review the whole paper is on the draft. So I may be pouring over some things while I am sitting here too.