PDA

View Full Version : EARTH Once Had 2 Moons.....Scientists Say!

MMC
08-03-2011, 09:12 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/moon-jr-once-upon-time-earth-had-two-042506563.html
Time.com – 5 hrs ago.....

Earth must have felt pretty inadequate a week or two ago when astronomers announced that distant Pluto has yet another moon. Pluto! Recently demoted to a dwarf planet! And yet it boosted its satellite total to four, while we remain forever stuck at one. True, Earth is ahead of Mercury and Venus, which have no moons at all. But Mars, which is significantly smaller than Earth, has two; and don't even mention Jupiter, with more than 60; or Saturn, with 53. Even asteroids have multiple moons - including Sylvia, a 384-mile (617 km) space rock that boasts the twin satellites Romulus and Remus.

Just last week, astronomers announced the discovery of a Trojan asteroid leading the planet Earth around the sun. There's no reason a Trojan moon couldn't lead or follow our moon around the Earth.

A new theory in science isn't worth much, however, unless you can test it somehow. The best way would be to look for the mineralogical signature of such an event in rocks brought back from the far side of the moon. Unfortunately, no such mission is in the works anytime soon. But the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, or LRO, which is circling the moon even now, has detectors that can get at least a sense of the minerals below. And in September, another moon probe will be on its way, with Zuber as principal investigator. It's called GRAIL, for Gravity Recovery and Interior Laboratory. Actually, it's a pair of probes that will orbit in tandem; changes in the distance between them will measure the local lunar gravity with extraordinary precision. That will give Zuber and her team a detailed look at the moon's geological (or technically, selenological) structure and history, and when combined with LRO's data, could make or break Jutzi and Asphaug's idea. (See photos of outer space from the Hubble telescope.) snip~

With what they are talking about it seems like they are saying something might have smashed up another moon that the Earth may have had. Althought it is good to know they discovered this asteroid leading the earth around the sun. Plus the discovery of another moon out by Pluto.

Still shouldn't they have to wait until they get the results of this upcoming mission before they put it out to the World that we had another moon? I mean there was the one Scinetist who thought the Moon was some gigantic spaceship too. Doesnt mean it is or was. Thoughts http://www.politicalhotwire.com/images/smilies/satellite.png

Conley
08-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Reading that it looks to me like a misleading headline. They do that a lot I guess to get views. I don't see any proof of a second moon, just that it's possible we once had one. You'd think it would leave some evidence.

I remember reading something about how location of our planet in the solar system had something to do with us only having one moon. Venus doesn't have any. Poor Venus :(

MMC
08-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Reading that it looks to me like a misleading headline. They do that a lot I guess to get views. I don't see any proof of a second moon, just that it's possible we once had one. You'd think it would leave some evidence.

I remember reading something about how location of our planet in the solar system had something to do with us only having one moon. Venus doesn't have any. Poor Venus :(

Nor does Mercury.....still I thought that was a pretty misleading article by Time Magazine to throw such in there and without any type of evidence other than a couples thoughts and ideas on the subject.

Althought I am glad they have caught this asteroid that is leading the earth around the same axis. I cannot say for sure there was and nor were we taught such. ::)

Conley
08-03-2011, 11:58 AM
I think Mercury is so close to the sun that any moon would get pulled in by the gravitational pull.

Don't mess with the Sun, he'll funk your schnit up! :D >:D

MMC
08-03-2011, 12:14 PM
I think Mercury is so close to the sun that any moon would get pulled in by the gravitational pull.

Don't mess with the Sun, he'll funk your schnit up! :D >:D

Thru The Ozone Children of the Sun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P21AaZ71O3I#)

You think the Sun is bad.....you should see the Children of the Sun. >:D

Conley
08-03-2011, 12:22 PM
:D

Son, are you saying the Sun's sons are stronger? S'not true!

MMC
08-03-2011, 12:26 PM
:D

Son, are you saying the Sun's sons are stronger? S'not true!

Yep.....we be one of its most truly wicked offspring. >:D

Conley
08-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Come on...we can't let this go without the quintessential song about the Sun...

The Doors - Waiting for the sun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0kypyGSKsE#)

Conley
08-03-2011, 06:59 PM
WAITING...WAITING...WAITING...

Wow, I somehow forgot how good this song is.

>:D

wingrider
08-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Beatles- Here Comes The Sun (with lyrics) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj1AesMfIf8#)

the best by the beatles

MMC
08-04-2011, 12:07 PM
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/6h3SWcVS.aU.sMswYowPGA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MTQ5OTtjcj0xO2N3PTIwMDA7ZHg9MD tkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTQ3MztxPTg1O3c9NjMw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/df39dfc650b8d111f40e6a706700815c.jpg

They had taken this down from Yahoo yesterday and now put it back up.Earth Had Two Moons That Crashed to Form One, Study Suggests - Yahoo! News
SPACE.com – 14 hrs ago..

A tiny second moon may once have orbited Earth before catastrophically slamming into the other one, a titanic clash that could explain why the two sides of the surviving lunar satellite are so different from each other, a new study suggests.

The second moon around Earth would have been about 750 miles (1,200 kilometers) wide and could have formed from the same collision between the planet and a Mars-sized object that scientists suspect helped create the moon we see in the sky today, astronomers said.

Now computer simulations hint a second moon essentially pancaked itself against its larger companion, broadly explaining the differences seen between the near and far sidesTheir calculations suggest this second moon would have formed at the same time as our moon. Scientists have suggested that our moon was born from massive amounts of debris left over from a giant impact Earth suffered from a Mars-size body early on in the history of the solar system. Spare rubble might also have coalesced into another companion moon, one just 4 percent its mass and about 750 miles wide, or one-third of our moon's diameter.

To imagine where this other moon once was, picture the Earth and the moon as being two points in a triangle whose sides are equal in length.

The other point of such a triangle is known as a Trojan point, or a Lagrangian point, named after the mathematician who discovered them. At such a point, the gravitational attraction of the Earth and moon essentially balances out, meaning objects there can stay relatively stably. The Earth and moon have two Trojan points, one leading ahead of the moon, known as the L-4 point of the system, and one trailing behind, its L-5 point.

A number of explanations have been proposed for the far side's highlands, including one suggesting that gravitational forces were the culprits rather than an impact from Francis Nimmo at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and his colleagues. Nimmo said that for now there is not enough data to say which of the proposals offers the best explanation for this lunar contrast. "As further spacecraft data and, hopefully, lunar samples are obtained, which of these two hypotheses is more nearly correct will become clear," Nimmo said in a statement.....snip~

Even in the final paragraph, they admit they cannot say such for sure and offer another explanation. They also admit more data is needed. So again, they may need funding for research. But why put this out in the press without any real conclusive evidence? http://www.politicalhotwire.com/images/smilies/satellite.png

wingrider
08-04-2011, 11:19 PM
MMC,

it seems what you are describing here is the sumerian legend of the planet Tiamat, and the legends of the Anunaki, from Nibiru

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sumer_anunnaki/esp_sumer_annunaki22.htm

spunkloaf
08-04-2011, 11:59 PM
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/6h3SWcVS.aU.sMswYowPGA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MTQ5OTtjcj0xO2N3PTIwMDA7ZHg9MD tkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTQ3MztxPTg1O3c9NjMw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/df39dfc650b8d111f40e6a706700815c.jpg

They had taken this down from Yahoo yesterday and now put it back up.Earth Had Two Moons That Crashed to Form One, Study Suggests - Yahoo! News
SPACE.com – 14 hrs ago..

A tiny second moon may once have orbited Earth before catastrophically slamming into the other one, a titanic clash that could explain why the two sides of the surviving lunar satellite are so different from each other, a new study suggests.

The second moon around Earth would have been about 750 miles (1,200 kilometers) wide and could have formed from the same collision between the planet and a Mars-sized object that scientists suspect helped create the moon we see in the sky today, astronomers said.

Now computer simulations hint a second moon essentially pancaked itself against its larger companion, broadly explaining the differences seen between the near and far sidesTheir calculations suggest this second moon would have formed at the same time as our moon. Scientists have suggested that our moon was born from massive amounts of debris left over from a giant impact Earth suffered from a Mars-size body early on in the history of the solar system. Spare rubble might also have coalesced into another companion moon, one just 4 percent its mass and about 750 miles wide, or one-third of our moon's diameter.

To imagine where this other moon once was, picture the Earth and the moon as being two points in a triangle whose sides are equal in length.

The other point of such a triangle is known as a Trojan point, or a Lagrangian point, named after the mathematician who discovered them. At such a point, the gravitational attraction of the Earth and moon essentially balances out, meaning objects there can stay relatively stably. The Earth and moon have two Trojan points, one leading ahead of the moon, known as the L-4 point of the system, and one trailing behind, its L-5 point.

A number of explanations have been proposed for the far side's highlands, including one suggesting that gravitational forces were the culprits rather than an impact from Francis Nimmo at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and his colleagues. Nimmo said that for now there is not enough data to say which of the proposals offers the best explanation for this lunar contrast. "As further spacecraft data and, hopefully, lunar samples are obtained, which of these two hypotheses is more nearly correct will become clear," Nimmo said in a statement.....snip~

Even in the final paragraph, they admit they cannot say such for sure and offer another explanation. They also admit more data is needed. So again, they may need funding for research. But why put this out in the press without any real conclusive evidence? http://www.politicalhotwire.com/images/smilies/satellite.png

Why not? Would it offend people or uproot society if we accept the possibility that there hasn't always been just one moon? What about the theory that Earth once collided with a Mars-sized planet to create the kind of planet we have today?

It is kind of exciting news. Just because the evidence is not entirely conclusive...they don't really SAY it's conclusive.

Are you protesting?

MMC
08-05-2011, 10:23 AM
No.... But I do think they need to show some sort of evidence and not just the hypothesis of a theory when putting it into the World of Print.

spunkloaf
08-05-2011, 11:12 AM
No.... But I do think they need to show some sort of evidence and not just the hypothesis of a theory when putting it into the World of Print.

That's a good point I guess. But we will never be 100% positive unless we create a time machine and travel backwards in time to see what happened. The same thing goes with any story of creation. The big difference is that in this instance, the people who make this proposal admit that it is not conclusive. If we reported stories based on 100% conclusive evidence exclusively, the news of the day would be very brief.

That's not to say journalism should not be bound to some standards. As the biggest news conglomerate in the world has demonstrated, you can make anything into news if you construct your sentences carefully.

Conley
08-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Well said Spunk.

MMC
08-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Dont get me wrong they have right to research whatever.....but you know how people take things that are put into the media. Removing this type of confusion should be paramount by the World of Media.

spunkloaf
08-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Dont get me wrong they have right to research whatever.....but you know how people take things that are put into the media. Removing this type of confusion should be paramount by the World of Media.

That may be true but it's nobody's responsibility to police how people are going to perceive things. That's why it's important for people to be educated.