PDA

View Full Version : Unusual recipes

Redrose
07-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Someone mentioned grilled watermelon. Sounded weird, but the pix looked good. I'll try it.

I was given a recipe a while back and I tweaked it a bit to make it mine. It's called "garlic jello".

It's a fantastic appetizer.

Make lime jello, but instead of the cold water, use champagne, dryer the better.

crush 4 or 5 garlic cloves and blend the pulp in the unset jello. Then add tiny cocktail shrimp(dry) in the unset jello. Not too many.

When set, cube the jello and place on a bed of dark romaine lettuce leaves.

Serve with a dollop of salad dressing on top.

It's colorful, easy, different, light, not too sweet, and makes a great appetizer.

Peter1469
07-02-2014, 10:07 PM
If you want unusual try to book this place (http://www.minibarbyjoseandres.com/)- very hard to get seats. Two people, with wine paring about $600 with tip. Absolutely amazing. When I find another woman worth it, I will be back. It was 24 courses when I went. Of course most were mouth sized. Anyone wants to go, I can try to get seats. If it is a dude, just don't touch me.

Redrose
07-02-2014, 11:11 PM
If you want unusual try to book this place (http://www.minibarbyjoseandres.com/)- very hard to get seats. Two people, with wine paring about $600 with tip. Absolutely amazing. When I find another woman worth it, I will be back. It was 24 courses when I went. Of course most were mouth sized. Anyone wants to go, I can try to get seats. If it is a dude, just don't touch me.
That's a bit too rich for my purse. We've spent $175-$250 but even that is a rare event. The worst dining experience was Le Champs in Manhattan. Around 1968, dinner for two was $200. Valet parking, stringed orchestra, all ala carte. The service was impeccable, the meal was awful. Top of the Sixes was great, Windows on the World was nice too.

In 1975 we went with 2 other couples to the "9 Doors" in Port Jefferson, NY. An old funeral home, each part of the meal was served in a different room. Very limited seating, weeks for a reservation. Amazing food, mostly french. We were all "cops and wives". Very middle class, but one jerk fancied himself "a man of the world, refined". Yeah right. Well, John I'll call him, often read the New Yorker magazine. He read that Rothschild 1921 was an excellent champagne. He order a magnum. The waiter looked either shocked or amazed not sure which. When the waiter brought this gorgeous bottle he opened it and this John asked to sniff the cork. He wouldn't know a good champagne from Kool-Aid. He gave the waiter the OK to pour, we each got 2 glasses. Well we expected the meal without the wine to be about $200-250 per couple. When the bill arrived, we almost fainted, the champagne was $1500 per bottle. We had to come up with another $500 per couple plus tax and tip. We were all panicking pulling out credit cards trying to cover the bill.

Dinner ended up costing us $892.00 per couple. None of us ate with Diamond John Rockefeller again.

Bob
07-02-2014, 11:25 PM
That's a bit too rich for my purse. We've spent $175-$250 but even that is a rare event. The worst dining experience was Le Champs in Manhattan. Around 1968, dinner for two was $200. Valet parking, stringed orchestra, all ala carte. The service was impeccable, the meal was awful. Top of the Sixes was great, Windows on the World was nice too.

In 1975 we went with 2 other couples to the "9 Doors" in Port Jefferson, NY. An old funeral home, each part of the meal was served in a different room. Very limited seating, weeks for a reservation. Amazing food, mostly french. We were all "cops and wives". Very middle class, but one jerk fancied himself "a man of the world, refined". Yeah right. Well, John I'll call him, often read the New Yorker magazine. He read that Rothschild 1921 was an excellent champagne. He order a magnum. The waiter looked either shocked or amazed not sure which. When the waiter brought this gorgeous bottle he opened it and this John asked to sniff the cork. He wouldn't know a good champagne from Kool-Aid. He gave the waiter the OK to pour, we each got 2 glasses. Well we expected the meal without the wine to be about $200-250 per couple. When the bill arrived, we almost fainted, the champagne was $1500 per bottle. We had to come up with another $500 per couple plus tax. We were all panicking pulling out credit cards trying to cover the bill.

Dinner ended up costing us $892.00 per couple. None of us ate with Diamond John Rockefeller again.

I have to be honest. Food just does not interest me enough to pay charges like that.

I am not sure what my most expensive meal cost with tip since my then girl friend paid for dinner.

Redrose
07-02-2014, 11:36 PM
I have to be honest. Food just does not interest me enough to pay charges like that.

I am not sure what my most expensive meal cost with tip since my then girl friend paid for dinner.
Same here Bob, we enjoy a good meal, better restaurants, but we have our limits. After an expensive mean in a very fancy restaurant, (the meal was fantastic but small) we went for fast food since we were still hungry. Never again.

Peter1469
07-03-2014, 06:25 AM
I prefer to cook at home. I rarely eat out.