PDA

View Full Version : Someone you should know

Peter1469
07-16-2014, 08:36 PM
An active duty marine and member of the CIA Special Activities Division’s Ground Branch: (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/iconic-marine-maj-zembiec-the-lion-of-fallujah-died-in-the-service-of-the-cia/2014/07/15/71501d2c-0b77-11e4-8c9a-923ecc0c7d23_story.html)

Four people came to Pam’s door that night. One of them was Col. John Ripley, a mentor to Doug Zembiec, a family friend and a Marine legend.

“When the guys came to tell me that night . . . I was very angry,” Pam Zembiec said. “At the time I wanted to blame someone, and I blamed [the fact] that he wasn’t with his Marines.”

Zembiec’s job with the CIA meant that he was working with other Special Operations types and Iraqis, not the Marines with whom he had fought during his earlier deployment to Fallujah.

“I saw a lot of tough guys crying in that house,” said Elliot Ackerman, a friend who was in Marine Special Operations training when Zembiec was killed. “They cried for Doug, but because of where we were in the war I think they cried for themselves, too.”

Green Arrow
07-17-2014, 12:38 AM
I will remember his name, and pray that we all get to speak to him some day in the halls of Valhalla.

Rebel Son
07-25-2014, 03:40 PM
I will remember his name, and pray that we all get to speak to him some day in the halls of Valhalla.

Sleep well my brother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OhaGk_Zfsg

CreepyOldDude
07-25-2014, 04:40 PM
Not my branch, but Oorah, Marine.

Bob
07-25-2014, 04:58 PM

Didn't you admit to smoking pot? I am curious as to where yours comes from?

Bob
07-25-2014, 05:00 PM
He died 7 years ago in operations with the CIA as it turns out. On a snatch and grab operation.

Rebel Son
07-25-2014, 07:19 PM

Welcome to the chosen few, shitcanned from my friends list which you are the first and the so called capn......worthless, both of you. I'll not disgrace this thread more than that.

Green Arrow
07-25-2014, 09:02 PM

If you want to insult me and my religion, start a thread in the Hole and I'll be happy to join in your douchebaggery, but this is not the place.

Bob
07-25-2014, 11:47 PM
If you want to insult me and my religion, start a thread in the Hole and I'll be happy to join in your douchebaggery, but this is not the place.

That is not an insult. No idea why you went off on me. Is pot smoking part of a religion?
Green Arrow

Just explain in a proper reply.

Bob
07-25-2014, 11:48 PM
Welcome to the chosen few, shitcanned from my friends list which you are the first and the so called capn......worthless, both of you. I'll not disgrace this thread more than that.

Ummmmmm, I believe he mentioned he smokes pot. Not sure why you went wild. Rebel Son

Dr. Who
07-26-2014, 12:20 AM
Ummmmmm, I believe he mentioned he smokes pot. Not sure why you went wild. @Rebel Son (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=783)
Bob, smoking pot is not a religious rite in Norse religion and Rebel doesn't care for the subject of drug use being raised in the context of lost soldiers and those who pay reverence to their sacrifice. Your comment was a non sequitur.

Bob
07-26-2014, 12:41 AM
Bob, smoking pot is not a religious rite in Norse religion and Rebel doesn't care for the subject of drug use being raised in the context of lost soldiers and those who pay reverence to their sacrifice. Your comment was a non sequitur.

I agree. Yes it sure was. I made comments about the long dead soldier. When I mention my long dead uncle who was also a soldier, GA never comments. I am not quite getting his hostility. Was he a relative?

Even so, I said kind things about the dead guy.

Come to think of it, I am not sure I mentioned the soldier in the comment to GA.

I had no idea he was so touchy given he had brought up his use previously to this thread.

Dr. Who
07-26-2014, 12:53 AM
I agree. Yes it sure was. I made comments about the long dead soldier. When I mention my long dead uncle who was also a soldier, GA never comments. I am not quite getting his hostility. Was he a relative?

Even so, I said kind things about the dead guy.

Come to think of it, I am not sure I mentioned the soldier in the comment to GA.

I had no idea he was so touchy given he had brought up his use previously to this thread.
The fact that it was mentioned in another thread doesn't make it germane to this one. I believe GA and Rebel found your comments perhaps insensitive to the subject matter as well as to GA's religious beliefs.

Bob
07-26-2014, 01:16 AM
The fact that it was mentioned in another thread doesn't make it germane to this one. I believe GA and Rebel found your comments perhaps insensitive to the subject matter as well as to GA's religious beliefs.

Again, I agree. We seem to be arguing despite the fact I agree with you.

Matter of fact, my comment to GA was never about religion and though not in the vein of the dead soldier, I believe I adequately covered him in other posts. GA and Rebel Son appear to have fire red tempers.

I assure the entire forum my intent was never to inflame nor cause malcontent nor insult.

I see no point in going on and on. Read in context, he flew off the handle. It is most unfortunate. Had I predicted to myself he would fly off the handle, I would have asked him the question elsewhere. It was not to trash GA either. I can't explain Rebel Son since he seems to have taken it hard.

Anyway thanks for your kind assistance. I hope this is now defused. Dr. Who

What is strange to me is when I commented on cussing, I was the one catching hell. This is a habit for several posters.

Alyosha
07-26-2014, 06:51 AM
An active duty marine and member of the CIA Special Activities Division’s Ground Branch: (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/iconic-marine-maj-zembiec-the-lion-of-fallujah-died-in-the-service-of-the-cia/2014/07/15/71501d2c-0b77-11e4-8c9a-923ecc0c7d23_story.html)

Yes, they don't limit themselves to SEALs anymore, the CIA now appropriates the Marines and is trying to break their fraternity with promises of money and get out of jail free cards.

It's a despicable institution.

Codename Section
07-26-2014, 07:02 AM
Yes, they don't limit themselves to SEALs anymore, the CIA now appropriates the Marines and is trying to break their fraternity with promises of money and get out of jail free cards.

It's a despicable institution.

It's your choice whether or not you take that type of billet, but they do encourage you. They'll find someone who has issues with their father, for example, and bring in some old guy who will praise you and be fatherly to you and that's the one that will lure you into working for them.

They're POS.

Animal Mother
07-26-2014, 10:05 AM
There are a lot of assholes pretending to want to help you when really they want to make money off of you. Lots of people willing to exploit what you've learned and take advantage of any patriotism you have.

Peter1469
07-26-2014, 10:09 AM
After Desert Storm, the big scam was the DEA trying to recruit combat vets to do black ops in the South American drug wars. This was 1991. They were offering $75k per year for a two year contract- for infantry guys, I imagine they paid more for SoF. After that, if you were still alive they would hire you as an agent and bring you back to the states. Spanish was not a requirement. I guess they didn't need you to be able to communicate with the locals. Just kill them.

Animal Mother
07-26-2014, 10:13 AM
If you're a consultant to the CIA and have operator status you can make serious bank, anywhere from $50k for a week to millions for a longer gig.

Of course you sign a contract in blood and lose your soul, but some people don't care about their souls until they see death on the horizon.

Peter1469
07-26-2014, 10:18 AM
If you're a consultant to the CIA and have operator status you can make serious bank, anywhere from $50k for a week to millions for a longer gig.

Of course you sign a contract in blood and lose your soul, but some people don't care about their souls until they see death on the horizon.

After 9-11 the pay when way up.

But in 1991, as a sergeant my pay was like $1050 per month (plus $100 for jump pay). $75K a year seemed like a lot.

Codename Section
07-26-2014, 10:28 AM
There are a lot of assholes pretending to want to help you when really they want to make money off of you. Lots of people willing to exploit what you've learned and take advantage of any patriotism you have.

Or exploit your basic personality to turn you into their personal Frankenstein. Fuck em.

Animal Mother
07-26-2014, 10:40 AM
There will be justice in this lifetime or the next.

Codename Section
07-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Oh I think it will be in this lifetime.

Peter1469
07-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Karma is a bitch. I know.

CreepyOldDude
07-28-2014, 01:41 PM
He died 7 years ago in operations with the CIA as it turns out. On a snatch and grab operation.
Bob, I've been there. Different war, of course, but I came back. The toughest part of black bag ops is that, if you die on one, your family is never going to know what really happened. Hell, they may never even know you died.

Mister D
07-28-2014, 02:21 PM
After Desert Storm, the big scam was the DEA trying to recruit combat vets to do black ops in the South American drug wars. This was 1991. They were offering $75k per year for a two year contract- for infantry guys, I imagine they paid more for SoF. After that, if you were still alive they would hire you as an agent and bring you back to the states. Spanish was not a requirement. I guess they didn't need you to be able to communicate with the locals. Just kill them.

Why do you call it a scam? This is an old (indeed ancient) arrangement and it's not really about exploiting people or taking advantage of them. The reality of war is that after hostilities cease there are often a whole bunch of people with nothing to do. That's not good news. It's typically not a good situation for the society or the soldiers.

Peter1469
07-28-2014, 03:51 PM
It wasn't a good bet.

Why do you call it a scam? This is an old (indeed ancient) arrangement and it's not really about exploiting people or taking advantage of them. The reality of war is that after hostilities cease there are often a whole bunch of people with nothing to do. That's not good news. It's typically not a good situation for the society or the soldiers.

spunkloaf
08-04-2014, 07:46 AM

To drift from topic a bit, the DEA is one example of a failed "war on drugs." The "war" should be fought more with education and amnesty programs for rehabilitation. Unfortunately, people will get high whether their government likes it or not. For the government to continue persecuting its citizens, it's like they realize they failed but want to beat their chest anyways to the tune of billions of dollars per year. That is not to mention that it seems very two-faced for the government to attack people for using drugs, but turn around and approve Big Pharm's drugs which cause all kinds of side effects up to and including death. Justify that any way you like, drugs are drugs and somebody's getting rich while the others are getting screwed.

Rebel Son
08-04-2014, 11:22 PM
It wasn't a good bet.

Never is.

The Sage of Main Street
08-05-2014, 04:58 PM
To drift from topic a bit, the DEA is one example of a failed "war on drugs." The "war" should be fought more with education and amnesty programs for rehabilitation. Unfortunately, people will get high whether their government likes it or not. For the government to continue persecuting its citizens, it's like they realize they failed but want to beat their chest anyways to the tune of billions of dollars per year. That is not to mention that it seems very two-faced for the government to attack people for using drugs, but turn around and approve Big Pharm's drugs which cause all kinds of side effects up to and including death. Justify that any way you like, drugs are drugs and somebody's getting rich while the others are getting screwed. Our ruling class gets its power by harassing people and making them weaker.

CreepyOldDude
08-08-2014, 12:22 PM
After 9-11 the pay when way up.

But in 1991, as a sergeant my pay was like $1050 per month (plus $100 for jump pay). $75K a year seemed like a lot.

In 1965, as an E4, my pay was around $165/month. Your sergeant's pay would have been the rate for an O6 with over 20 years in. :)

PolWatch
08-08-2014, 12:24 PM
In 1965, as an E4, my pay was around $165/month. Your sergeant's pay would have been the rate for an O6 with over 20 years in. :)

ahh...memories...I received $95 per month allotment while my then-husband was in VN in 1966-67...

CreepyOldDude
08-08-2014, 02:26 PM
ahh...memories...I received $95 per month allotment while my then-husband was in VN in 1966-67...

But prices were so much lower then. My first new car was a 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, black, with the 289 ci engine, 271 hp. Paid $2525 for it.

PolWatch
08-08-2014, 02:44 PM
But prices were so much lower then. My first new car was a 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback, black, with the 289 ci engine, 271 hp. Paid $2525 for it.

dontcha wish it was sitting your garage now? I bet ya might be able to sell it for more than ya paid. We have watched some of Meachum's auctions with 60's era muscle car & nearly had a heart attack. oh, if I only had that '62 nova or even my old '70 charger!

CreepyOldDude
08-08-2014, 03:49 PM
dontcha wish it was sitting your garage now? I bet ya might be able to sell it for more than ya paid. We have watched some of Meachum's auctions with 60's era muscle car & nearly had a heart attack. oh, if I only had that '62 nova or even my old '70 charger!

Oh, don't you know it. :) Hagerty's puts the current value of my 66 Mustang as $41,364. :) Pity I sold it once we had the third kid. :)

PolWatch
08-08-2014, 03:54 PM
That is why I had to sell the first new car I ever bought! (no room for the kid) Mine wasn' red--it was kinda an Alien (aka ET) Green. Don't laugh...I luved that car!

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2009/02/01/20/47/1972_amc_gremlin-pic-7141.jpeg

CreepyOldDude
08-08-2014, 04:11 PM
That is why I had to sell the first new car I ever bought! (no room for the kid) Mine wasn' red--it was kinda an Alien (aka ET) Green. Don't laugh...I luved that car!

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2009/02/01/20/47/1972_amc_gremlin-pic-7141.jpeg

:laugh:

A friend of mine had a green Gremlin. Not sure what year. A 74, maybe?

del
08-08-2014, 04:13 PM

i had a green one with a v-8 (308 bhp, iirc) and a 4-speed.

ugly as hell, but it screamed (in a straight line)

Rebel Son
08-10-2014, 01:47 AM

I think mine was around four or five hundred in 79. I hit the all time high of six I think as E4 in 82, yeah,,,,I'm a slow learner. What can I say.

Peter1469
08-10-2014, 06:24 AM
I made more money in one year as a captain than I made in four years enlisted.

spunkloaf
08-10-2014, 06:51 PM
**“It’s nobody’s fault,” she said. “Doug chose this path. He died doing what he loved, and he made a difference. And that’s what matters.”**

The thing I love about this story is that nobody is really hunting for recognition or reward. One's perseverance and clear sense of duty seems to be the main theme, and I'm inspired by how immersed this man was in his military job.

Rebel Son
08-11-2014, 08:11 PM
**“It’s nobody’s fault,” she said. “Doug chose this path. He died doing what he loved, and he made a difference. And that’s what matters.”**

The thing I love about this story is that nobody is really hunting for recognition or reward. One's perseverance and clear sense of duty seems to be the main theme, and I'm inspired by how immersed this man was in his military job.

I have new respect for you SL. I don't think anybody who joins and does their job is looking for anything. It's what we do as Americans, my foreman me and the crew were talking awhile back about being in the military. Everybody had served but one guy, he asked why.
He said, "I didn't see the need", to which my foreman said "You're a fucking American, aren't you"?