PDA

View Full Version : That truck driver you flipped off? Let me tell you his story.

Conley
08-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Let me tell you a little about the truck driver you just flipped off because he was passing another truck, and you had to cancel the cruise control and slow down until he completed the pass and moved back over.

His truck is governed to 68 miles an hour, because the company he leases it from believes it keeps him and the public and the equipment safer.

The truck he passed was probably running under 65 mph to conserve fuel. You see, the best these trucks do for fuel economy is about 8 miles per gallon. With fuel at almost $4 per gallon -- well, you do the math. And, yes, that driver pays for his own fuel.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/otherviews/126619568.html#.TjliGe_CsCo.reddit

It's a short but good read...rough life being a trucker. I sure as heck wouldn't want to do it.

Mister D
08-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Most of my commute is on the Garden State Parkway which doesn't allow trucks so when I do encounter a lot of trucks I'm usually not in any hurry.

Conley
08-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I was surprised by that, then realized I was thinking of the New Jersey Turnpike and not the Garden State Parkway

Mister D
08-04-2011, 12:38 PM
I was surprised by that, then realized I was thinking of the New Jersey Turnpike and not the Garden State Parkway

The turnpike is packed with trucks.

Conley
08-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Yeah I hated that stretch of road. Ugly and full of tolls too. :D

Mister D
08-04-2011, 12:46 PM

That it is. ;D It's a little nerve wracking too when you are surrounded by trucks. You can't see anything. Thankfully, they have some sections where only cars are allowed.

MMC
08-04-2011, 02:17 PM

That it is. ;D It's a little nerve wracking too when you are surrounded by trucks. You can't see anything. Thankfully, they have some sections where only cars are allowed.

Yeah an old friend of mine just retired from trucking.....sold his rig and the whole bit. But they do get to stop in some interesting places. Except those Ice Road Truckers..... >:D

Mister D
08-04-2011, 02:39 PM

Yeah an old friend of mine just retired from trucking.....sold his rig and the whole bit. But they do get to stop in some interesting places. Except those Ice Road Truckers..... >:D

Apparently, the ice road truckers are making history. I mean they're on the History Channel.

MMC
08-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Yeah go figure that.....next up Truckers And their Daring Feats of Going thru BattleZones. >:(

Conley
08-04-2011, 04:03 PM
I would have watched Iraqi Convoy Truckers but back in the day I doubt they could have aired it on TV.

Mister D
08-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Dude, that's a great idea for a show! :o 8)

Conley
08-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Can you imagine? Intense wouldn't even begin to describe it...remember back when they would take hostages too? Ugh.

Mister D
08-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Can you imagine? Intense wouldn't even begin to describe it...remember back when they would take hostages too? Ugh.

Now that I think about it it's kind of ghoulish but, had I to choose, it would be Iraq over IRT any day.

Conley
08-04-2011, 05:27 PM
You might even say it'd be IRT plus IEDs!

OK, that was uncalled for.

:-[

MMC
08-04-2011, 05:50 PM
You might even say it'd be IRT plus IEDs!

OK, that was uncalled for.

:-[

Yeah, I wanna see them gets a couple flat tires and then have to stop and change them while the convoy drives off into the distance.....then when all the Shia start coming out to flock around the Shiny New Trucks. >:D

Mister D
08-04-2011, 05:53 PM
It would be riveting no doubt. That's one reality show I'd be tempted to watch.