PDA

View Full Version : Got kale?

Captain Obvious
07-23-2014, 07:14 PM
I've had it before, it's like a cross between spinach and broccoli. We yanks don't see it much up north but in NC they have huge bunches of it so I bought some for a dinner side. Made grilled tuna steaks, black tip shark steaks (which didn't turn out well) and kale (and french fries for the kids).

Fried the kale in butter with onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Good lord it was fucking awesome, everyone ate it. Two huge bunches, fried down to a much smaller portion than one would think looking at the original fresh stock.

It's gone, first thing to go. The tuna was really good but I only ate a couple bites out of mine, I filled up on the kale.

Mister D
07-23-2014, 07:30 PM
I eat it regularly. Kale, turnip greens, broccoli rabe...it's a power house. Good for you.

Captain Obvious
07-23-2014, 07:32 PM
They had a shitload of it at the local grocery, I'm getting 3 bunches for our planned grilled shrimp dinner tomorrow.

I originally bought it as a salad additive when I made taco salad yesterday but the wife said it was too... green/chewy for salad so we held off for a side today.

Mister D
07-23-2014, 07:33 PM
They had a shitload of it at the local grocery, I'm getting 3 bunches for our planned grilled shrimp dinner tomorrow.

You are doing your body some good. I like it with pasta, good olive oil, and loads of garlic myself.

Peter1469
07-23-2014, 07:33 PM
kale is good

Captain Obvious
07-23-2014, 07:34 PM
You are doing your body some good. I like it with pasta, good olive oil, and loads of garlic myself.

Might try that.

Wish I could get it locally up north.

Mister D
07-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Might try that.

Wish I could get it locally up north.

All the markets around here carry it. I get it pre-washed and cut. It's so cheap it's worth it.

Captain Obvious
07-23-2014, 07:42 PM
All the markets around here carry it. I get it pre-washed and cut. It's so cheap it's worth it.

Yeh, it was like a buck and a half for a big bunch although it really cooks down.

I liked it raw, reminded me of broccoli.

Mister D
07-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Yeh, it was like a buck and a half for a big bunch although it really cooks down.

I liked it raw, reminded me of broccoli.

Yeah, what looks like a lot becomes a lot less. I pay around $3 or $4 for it precleaned and chopped.

Mister D
07-23-2014, 07:45 PM
That lasts me all week.

Chloe
07-23-2014, 07:47 PM
I've had it before, it's like a cross between spinach and broccoli. We yanks don't see it much up north but in NC they have huge bunches of it so I bought some for a dinner side. Made grilled tuna steaks, black tip shark steaks (which didn't turn out well) and kale (and french fries for the kids).

Fried the kale in butter with onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Good lord it was fucking awesome, everyone ate it. Two huge bunches, fried down to a much smaller portion than one would think looking at the original fresh stock.

It's gone, first thing to go. The tuna was really good but I only ate a couple bites out of mine, I filled up on the kale.

Kudos on the kale! Kale is amazing! Two thumbs way way down on the blacktip shark though. Sharks are being decimated worldwide by overfishing, bycatch, loss of food, and finning. Just saying.

del
07-23-2014, 07:50 PM
kale soup

Captain Obvious
07-23-2014, 07:56 PM
Kudos on the kale! Kale is amazing! Two thumbs way way down on the blacktip shark though. Sharks are being decimated worldwide by overfishing, bycatch, loss of food, and finning. Just saying.

I've had black tip before, this batch had an odd texture. The flavor was ok though but nobody liked the texture.

The tuna was good but I had to over cook it since nobody in my group except my wife will eat it seared. I like it seared, raw in the middle.

Mister D
07-23-2014, 08:00 PM
kale soup

Recipe?

del
07-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Portuguese Kale Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red pepper, diced
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 pound package of chorizo or linguica, sliced
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
2 cans chicken stock
5 red bliss potatoes, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil or 2 teaspoons of fresh
1 bunch kale, washed and sliced
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

Heat olive oil in large soup pot. Add onions, red pepper, and garlic and sauté for five minutes. Add chorizo and sauté another minute. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, potatoes, and carrots, salt, pepper, basil and enough water to cover vegetables. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add kale and kidney beans and simmer for another 20 – 25 minutes.

i recommend linguica instead of chorizo, but either works

Captain Obvious
07-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Maybe add a shot glass of tobasco.

del
07-23-2014, 08:11 PM

almost always a good decision

Mister D
07-23-2014, 08:13 PM

I use fresh chilis.

Guerilla
07-23-2014, 08:26 PM
My mom makes Soup of Tescana, it's so good, and there is a lot of kale in it. So I decided to grow some this year and I grew way too much of it, now I need to get rid of it. But no one we know eats or knows how to cook kale, so there's no one to give it to.

So thanks for the recipes guys, we need those right now.

rembrant
09-22-2014, 10:05 PM

That works great. I like it in a stir fry or in an Asian soup.. basically a Ramen with a few eggs poached in, garlic, salad shrimps, kale,a bit of toasted sesame, a bit of horsradish and soy.

I tend to cut away the spine/stem which is a bit tough and extends the cooking time too much.

A Pork stew with potatoes, Kale, onion carrot is nice.

Dr. Who
09-22-2014, 10:11 PM
My mom makes Soup of Tescana, it's so good, and there is a lot of kale in it. So I decided to grow some this year and I grew way too much of it, now I need to get rid of it. But no one we know eats or knows how to cook kale, so there's no one to give it to.

So thanks for the recipes guys, we need those right now.
Parboil the excess kale and freeze. You only have to boil for about five minutes to reduce the volume, then pack in freezer bags and you have kale for several months.

Dark Mistress
09-22-2014, 11:06 PM
Def better cooked as opposed to raw IMO. Unless I am throwing it in a smoothie. Unfortunately my blender is broke...

My sister always makes the Tuscana Soup with spinach instead of kale, gosh it's like ruining a perfectly good soup. I like spinach raw, but I can't stand it cooked.

Bob
09-22-2014, 11:11 PM
Def better cooked as opposed to raw IMO. Unless I am throwing it in a smoothie. Unfortunately my blender is broke...

My sister always makes the Tuscana Soup with spinach instead of kale, gosh it's like ruining a perfectly good soup. I like spinach raw, but I can't stand it cooked.
Dark Mistress

I include raw spinach in my salad. I still have part that does not go into the salad. Cook those. I like cooking spinach and put some apple cider vinegar on the cooked food. A touch of vinegar does the trick.

Dark Mistress
09-22-2014, 11:13 PM
@Dark Mistress (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1083)

I include raw spinach in my salad. I still have part that does not go into the salad. Cook those. I like cooking spinach and put some apple cider vinegar on the cooked food. A touch of vinegar does the trick.

I feel like raw spinach has a great but not too strong flavor. Cooking it just multiplies it by 100 and me taste buds don't like it. But I will give that a whirl next time I try. My sister has a cooking blog and all these recipes with cooked spinach because she loves it but I just can't stand it. Should probably just substitute kale every time since I like that cooked.

Peter1469
09-23-2014, 04:11 AM
I feel like raw spinach has a great but not too strong flavor. Cooking it just multiplies it by 100 and me taste buds don't like it. But I will give that a whirl next time I try. My sister has a cooking blog and all these recipes with cooked spinach because she loves it but I just can't stand it. Should probably just substitute kale every time since I like that cooked.

When you cook spinach add a tablespoon of white vinegar to the water. It will help with the bitterness.

PolWatch
09-23-2014, 07:19 AM
all southern cooks know that any green is better with a little bacon! (so we ain't so healthy...we eat good)

KC
09-23-2014, 07:28 AM
I've only had it once, but when I had it it was served in a strawberry vinaigrette with almond slices. Delicious.

PolWatch
09-23-2014, 07:42 AM
If there’s one food that no one — not your doctor, your nutritionist, or even your mother — will tell you to eat less of, it’s leafy greens. Calorie for calorie, chard, collards, kale, and other leafy greens may just be the most nutritious food you can eat.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/the-6-vegetables-that-will-save-your-life-97836111033.html

Ravens Fan
09-23-2014, 08:29 AM
I have never tried Kale. I do not usually see it around too much either, maybe due to my location?

Spinach is good cooked with some vinegar on it, but that is the only way I will eat it.

I absolutely love broccoli though. I usually have it at least 3 times a week, steamed as a side, but I am just as happy to eat it raw, especially with some ranch dressing to dip it in.

Captain Obvious
09-23-2014, 08:34 AM
I wish I could get it.

They have it in PA at the local but it's like 3 bucks for a small couple leaves of it. In NC it was like a buck for a shopping bag full of it.

In WV they only have it in that pre-bagged salad section, meh...

I could eat a bucket of that stuff, it's fucking awesome. Fried in butter and garlic, oh man...

Dr. Who
09-23-2014, 05:56 PM
A little acid also helps all vegetables that have a sulphur-rich top note, like brussel sprouts and cabbage.

Peter1469
09-23-2014, 06:24 PM
I make kale crisps- lightly oil, bake until crispy. Pat off excess oil. Eat like a chip.

simi
09-23-2014, 08:52 PM
I make kale crisps- lightly oil, bake until crispy. Pat off excess oil. Eat like a chip.

This makes a decent alternative to chips and popcorn, for mindless munching while watching tv.

Peter1469
09-23-2014, 09:19 PM
This makes a decent alternative to chips and popcorn, for mindless munching while watching tv.

Yummy.

Yes.

KC
09-23-2014, 09:42 PM

Sounds great. I might try this. Do you add anything other than oil? I will probably use olive oil.

Peter1469
09-24-2014, 03:10 AM
Sounds great. I might try this. Do you add anything other than oil? I will probably use olive oil.

I use oil oil. Salt and spices to taste.

Mister D
09-24-2014, 09:26 AM

Popcorn is actually quite good for you particularly if you pop it yourself.

Mister D
09-24-2014, 09:27 AM
I use oil oil. Salt and spices to taste.

I'll be having kale with multigrain pasta tonight.

Peter1469
09-24-2014, 03:38 PM
I'll be having kale with multigrain pasta tonight.

Sounds good. Any sauce? Butter? Garlic would be a good addition.

Mister D
09-24-2014, 05:13 PM
Sounds good. Any sauce? Butter? Garlic would be a good addition.

Olive oil and, yes garlic. :cool2:

donttread
10-06-2014, 02:44 AM

Fried the kale in butter with onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Good lord it was $#@!ing awesome, everyone ate it. Two huge bunches, fried down to a much smaller portion than one would think looking at the original fresh stock.

I'm thinking the Forum should host a party and should be the cook. The whole meal sounds awesome!

Mister D
10-06-2014, 07:39 AM
That works great. I like it in a stir fry or in an Asian soup.. basically a Ramen with a few eggs poached in, garlic, salad shrimps, kale,a bit of toasted sesame, a bit of horsradish and soy.

I tend to cut away the spine/stem which is a bit tough and extends the cooking time too much.

A Pork stew with potatoes, Kale, onion carrot is nice.

Yeah, the stems are a bit tough. The edges also tend to brown and look unappetizing. The turnip green stems have les body to them so I eat those.

Captain Obvious
10-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Over the weekend made roasted red potatoes (skins on) with kale, garlic, onions and asiago (sp?) cheese. My "on a whim" recipe.

Yes, it was awesome.

Mister D
10-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Over the weekend made roasted red potatoes (skins on) with kale, garlic, onions and asiago (sp?) cheese. My "on a whim" recipe.

Yes, it was awesome.

I've been doing some late night vegetation dishes like that. Roasted potatoes with hot sauce and some kind of green. I've been into Brussels Sprouts lately.

Peter1469
10-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Okra is want I want. Maybe I will get some after work tomorrow.

Mister D
10-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Okra is want I want. Maybe I will get some after work tomorrow.

never had it. I like the regional fare though.

Captain Obvious
10-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Fried okra is awesome

Peter1469
10-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Fried okra is awesome

That is disgusting. But fired foods fires up acid reflux for me.....

Captain Obvious
10-07-2014, 07:16 AM
That is disgusting. But fired foods fires up acid reflux for me.....

lol!

I'm not super crazy about fried foods like french fries and the like but I'll eat fried okra when I see it.

Okra is great in soup also. That stuff I make over the firepit, gumbo of sorts has okra in it.

Mister D
10-07-2014, 08:10 AM
lol!

I'm not super crazy about fried foods like french fries and the like but I'll eat fried okra when I see it.

Okra is great in soup also. That stuff I make over the firepit, gumbo of sorts has okra in it.

French fries are awesome. I had to give up wings at the bar but I can still get fries.

Captain Obvious
10-07-2014, 08:36 AM
I had to give up wings at the bar

Had to, why?

del
10-07-2014, 08:53 AM
professional courtesy

Mister D
10-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Had to, why?

I don't know where the meat is from. I have to assume it's factory farmed. I cook them at home so I can still get my fix. Matter of fact, it has been a while. I think I will make them soon.

Captain Obvious
10-07-2014, 09:27 AM
I don't know where the meat is from. I have to assume it's factory farmed. I cook them at home so I can still get my fix. Matter of fact, it has been a while. I think I will make them soon.

Do you deep fry them?

Mister D
10-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Do you deep fry them?

No way. Yeah, it tastes great but no way I'm deep frying in the house. It smells and it's dirty. I just roast or bake them. Plenty of hot sauce and ranch or bleu cheese. Actually, I mentioned before that the wing sauce was upsetting my stomach so I sometimes regretted ordering out anyway.

Mister D
10-07-2014, 09:31 AM
I have to say that that is one addictive snack.

Peter1469
10-07-2014, 03:54 PM

If they were using free range chickens for the wings they would advertise that fact. It would also be more expensive. But much better for you.

Mister D
10-07-2014, 04:20 PM
If they were using free range chickens for the wings they would advertise that fact. It would also be more expensive. But much better for you.

Yeah, that's a good point. not sure I'm willing to pay.

Guerilla
12-20-2014, 10:09 PM
http://www.memegasms.com/media/created/zg9ac8.jpg

It turns out that my kale isn't dead yet. I thought it was dead when the aphids and caterpillars devoured every leaf(it's ok, there were only a couple plants left anyway), then I thought it would surely be dead when the cold killed all my other plants. But it started growing back a couple weeks ago with no bugs! I don't know if the bugs are dead because they ate all the leaves and had no more food, or if the cold killed them, but now I have healthy looking bug-free kale. About to put some in the soup of tescana tonight. :cool2:

Peter1469
12-20-2014, 10:11 PM
I made a pot of kale tonight.

PolWatch
12-20-2014, 11:18 PM
Most greens do better in cold weather...no bugs to eat them and they tolerate cold temps. Protect them from a frost and until you have a hard freeze they should continue to grow & produce...with no bug damage. We usually grow lettuce right until January or so. Collards & cabbage will last even longer.

southwest88
12-20-2014, 11:49 PM

Yup. Lettuce - an ordinary head - was going for $2/head. A nice bunch of kale was going for $1.25/bunch - the quantities were roughly comparable. Because of the ribbing, kale yields slightly less greens than lettuce, but lettuce also has the almost woody bits that aren't very edible either.

I suppose it's a wash, but kale is supposed to be good for you. & I simply object to paying $2/head of lettuce. Lettuce has since dropped to $1.50/head - & Mrs. prefers lettuce. But if the price point goes up again ...