PDA

View Full Version : HELP: How Do I Turn Off Pop-Up Ads??

IMPress Polly
08-20-2014, 06:28 AM
Okay, this isn't really a question related to the message board, but it is technical in nature and I'm desperate for help because me can computers don't get along that well:

I tried downloading the latest version of Flash this morning so I could watch YouTube videos again. It worked, but now I'm getting pop-ups and slider ads ALL OVER THE PLACE and I can't stop them! How do I turn them off again?? PLEASE HELP!!

Captain Obvious
08-20-2014, 06:41 AM
Are you running Firefox?

IMPress Polly
08-20-2014, 06:47 AM
Yes! I need help IMMEDIATELY!! It's getting much, much worse! I think I may have a virus! Every few seconds, a new tab sending me to an ad page automatically seizes control of my computer from me.

Green Arrow
08-20-2014, 07:15 AM
Go to your Firefox add-ons and get AdBlock Plus.

IMPress Polly
08-20-2014, 07:28 AM
How about for Internet Explorer?

kilgram
08-20-2014, 07:42 AM
Okay, this isn't really a question related to the message board, but it is technical in nature and I'm desperate for help because me can computers don't get along that well:

I tried downloading the latest version of Flash this morning so I could watch YouTube videos again. It worked, but now I'm getting pop-ups and slider ads ALL OVER THE PLACE and I can't stop them! How do I turn them off again?? PLEASE HELP!!
Use adblock. Works in Chrome and Firefox

kilgram
08-20-2014, 07:42 AM
Don't use it...

Captain Obvious
08-20-2014, 08:05 AM

Shitcan it, it's why you're getting flooded with ads.

It could be malware too, download malwarebytes (google it) and run it. You may have to do a system restore, it's pretty painless and not as harsh as it sounds. It's completely benign, not a big deal.

IE is going to be the reason you're having this problem. Firefox will block most malware from banner ads immediately.

Switch, do yourself a favor.

Chris
08-20-2014, 08:38 AM
Adblock is available for Internet Explorer.

http://simple-adblock.com/

Alternatives: http://dottech.org/17516/block-ads-in-firefox-internet-explorer-chrome-and-opera-how-to/

Green Arrow
08-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Yeah, stay away from IE. I used to use Firefox, now I use Google Chrome.

countryboy
08-20-2014, 09:07 AM
If you are infected, you'll need to clean that out. An ad blocker might block the ads, but if you have a virus it will still be there possibly logging key strokes. What security software are you running?

Common Sense
08-20-2014, 09:40 AM
Inventor of the Pop-Up Ad Apologizes for Helping to Ruin the Internet

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/inventor-pop-ad-apologizes-helping-ruin-internet-159553

Common Sense
08-20-2014, 09:42 AM
-iii-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070712071748/uncyclopedia/images/9/90/Ipod_pop-up_ad.png

Don
08-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Sounds like a virus was slipped in when you downloaded "flash." You should do a system restore and restore it to a point before the download. Then go directly to the Adobe website and download flash again. Be sure to "unclick" the x where it asks if you want the anti-virus program added to the download.

Captain Obvious
08-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Too late, she's submersed her laptop in holy water already.

:biglaugh:

Rebel Son
08-21-2014, 05:41 PM
I do use FireFox but I'd replace winblows with something like Mint Linux that is easy to use. Probably don't need virus protection but I use COMODO once a week because I do share some stuff out of my email. A little bloated but no where near as bad as Norton or Macafee. Free downloads for winblows and most all flavors of Linux. Easy to use also.

http://antivirus.comodo.com/

IMPress Polly
08-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Obviously I've spent the last few days trying to resolve the computer issues described on page 1. I downloaded AVG, Ad-Block Plus, and what's more had to also take my computer in for repairs (which ran me $170). It was costly, time-consuming, and very annoying, but I'm thrilled to say that MOST of my computer issues are now finally resolved. My computer had viruses galore is the bottom line, some of which can't be removed even by the professionals. Ad-Block Plus, which I installed this morning, has finally resolved the pop-up and slider ad issues that had previously made using the forums an unbearably awful experience. Unfortunately Ad-Block Plus can only address that symptom of a problem I can't actually expunge. The virus is still there, but its most infuriating actions are now blocked. Since the virus itself is still there, there is one issue I still can't resolve: from time to time, whenever I click on something (it could be anything mind you), my computer will automatically open a new tab that leads to an attack site. I can get rid of it in a second by just closing the tab manually, but I shouldn't have to. That's the only noticeable issue remaining at this point, so using PF is now a bearable experience and I plan on resuming in earnest tomorrow morning. But anyway, does anyone know of a way to eliminate that last problem? The automatic tab opening thing?

Peter1469
08-23-2014, 10:18 AM
Did you or the geeks you paid, erase the hard drive and reinstall the software?

Obviously I've spent the last few days trying to resolve the computer issues described on page 1. I downloaded AVG, Ad-Block Plus, and what's more had to also take my computer in for repairs (which ran me $170). It was costly, time-consuming, and very annoying, but I'm thrilled to say that MOST of my computer issues are now finally resolved. My computer had viruses galore is the bottom line, some of which can't be removed even by the professionals. Ad-Block Plus, which I installed this morning, has finally resolved the pop-up and slider ad issues that had previously made using the forums an unbearably awful experience. Unfortunately Ad-Block Plus can only address that symptom of a problem I can't actually expunge. The virus is still there, but its most infuriating actions are now blocked. Since the virus itself is still there, there is one issue I still can't resolve: from time to time, whenever I click on something (it could be anything mind you), my computer will automatically open a new tab that leads to an attack site. I can get rid of it in a second by just closing the tab manually, but I shouldn't have to. That's the only noticeable issue remaining at this point, so using PF is now a bearable experience, and I plan on resuming in earnest tomorrow morning. But anyway, does anyone know of a way to eliminate that last problem? The automatic tab opening thing?

del
08-23-2014, 10:43 AM
you can try no script; it worked well when i still used windows

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoScript

Rebel Son
08-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Did you or the geeks you paid, erase the hard drive and reinstall the software?

Erase won't do anything, you need a deep format for windows based systems if it was that bad. Never seen a virus that you couldn't get rid of though.

Don
08-23-2014, 01:59 PM
Why wouldn't system restore work? I have used it several times.

Dark Mistress
08-23-2014, 02:05 PM
malwarebytes.org That's what we use to get most of these problems resolved. It's free (or at least for a while) and we are problem free until we get a free game for the kids loaded.

Also go into your add-ons and see what kind of garbage is floating around in there and disable or remove, but malwarebytes should take care of most of that.

Also, download and run ccleaner. It's another free and effective tool.

Captain Obvious
08-23-2014, 02:20 PM
Obviously I've spent the last few days trying to resolve the computer issues described on page 1. I downloaded AVG, Ad-Block Plus, and what's more had to also take my computer in for repairs (which ran me $170). It was costly, time-consuming, and very annoying, but I'm thrilled to say that MOST of my computer issues are now finally resolved. My computer had viruses galore is the bottom line, some of which can't be removed even by the professionals. Ad-Block Plus, which I installed this morning, has finally resolved the pop-up and slider ad issues that had previously made using the forums an unbearably awful experience. Unfortunately Ad-Block Plus can only address that symptom of a problem I can't actually expunge. The virus is still there, but its most infuriating actions are now blocked. Since the virus itself is still there, there is one issue I still can't resolve: from time to time, whenever I click on something (it could be anything mind you), my computer will automatically open a new tab that leads to an attack site. I can get rid of it in a second by just closing the tab manually, but I shouldn't have to. That's the only noticeable issue remaining at this point, so using PF is now a bearable experience and I plan on resuming in earnest tomorrow morning. But anyway, does anyone know of a way to eliminate that last problem? The automatic tab opening thing?

You did it wrong, didn't have to cost you a dime.

Peter1469
08-23-2014, 02:25 PM
I am going to give that a try. Thanks.
malwarebytes.org That's what we use to get most of these problems resolved. It's free (or at least for a while) and we are problem free until we get a free game for the kids loaded.

Also go into your add-ons and see what kind of garbage is floating around in there and disable or remove, but malwarebytes should take care of most of that.

Also, download and run ccleaner. It's another free and effective tool.

Dark Mistress
08-23-2014, 02:45 PM
I am going to give that a try. Thanks.

Our machine is old as time and it is a dual boot system where we can either run windows or another linux OS. We hate windows but it is necessary for a few things like using the printer. We do NOT pay for anti-virus and only run those two programs. Runs like a dream usually.

Rebel Son
08-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Why wouldn't system restore work? I have used it several times.

System restore wont always get rid of a virus, some are embedded so deep that if you can't find it........you can't kill it. Very rare but it does happen. Remember that even though all the bells and whistles, windows is still a dos based system. Even when you delete something it is still there unless you do a 20 write over. I could go buy a new hard drive and install a new system before that is done. A deep system format and a complete re-install is needed for some stuff. Provided you have a install disk, I got my wife a laptop last year and it didn't come with anything disk wise, just a restore option........

Rebel Son
08-23-2014, 05:08 PM
We hate windows but it is necessary for a few things like using the printer. Although the ink is high hp has patches that will make most of their printers work on linux. You can go here and download the ap for linux, also search by model for your printer to see if it will work. http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/index.html

Don
08-23-2014, 05:19 PM
System restore wont always get rid of a virus, some are embedded so deep that if you can't find it........you can't kill it. Very rare but it does happen. Remember that even though all the bells and whistles, windows is still a dos based system. Even when you delete something it is still there unless you do a 20 write over. I could go buy a new hard drive and install a new system before that is done. A deep system format and a complete re-install is needed for some stuff. Provided you have a install disk, I got my wife a laptop last year and it didn't come with anything disk wise, just a restore option........

System restore puts everything back to where it was before the virus got in. That's why it has "restore points." About 4 years ago I got a virus much like the one IMPress Polly described. The first thing it did was reduce the size of the window so small you couldn't use the buttons to close it. I pulled the plug and restarted my computer and started getting the popups like she described. The virus also made it so system restore wouldn't work. You could tell it to restore but nothing happened. I went to that program that they advertise all the time on TV and it did a complete check for viruses and found a bunch of them that were part of the original infection. The program wanted money to clear them all but they did offer to let you do one for free. System restore had been infected so I chose that one to be repaired for free. Then I used system restore and I had it restore my computer to the day before the original infection and it fixed all the problems. I have used it several times since then.

Rebel Son
08-23-2014, 05:40 PM
System restore puts everything back to where it was before the virus got in. That's why it has "restore points." About 4 years ago I got a virus much like the one IMPress Polly described. The first thing it did was reduce the size of the window so small you couldn't use the buttons to close it. I pulled the plug and restarted my computer and started getting the popups like she described. The virus also made it so system restore wouldn't work. You could tell it to restore but nothing happened. I went to that program that they advertise all the time on TV and it did a complete check for viruses and found a bunch of them that were part of the original infection. The program wanted money to clear them all but they did offer to let you do one for free. System restore had been infected so I chose that one to be repaired for free. Then I used system restore and I had it restore my computer to the day before the original infection and it fixed all the problems. I have used it several times since then.

Agreed, if system restore is infected there may be a way around it. It's just my experience with virus and windows from the past, I haven't used windows since xp, probably never will again. Why should anybody really, there are countless linux flavors out there that are just as flashy as windows. Ubuntu is one, very user friendly. Why pay for a new system every couple years when you can get something for free that doesn't bog down your system?

IMPress Polly
08-23-2014, 06:16 PM
I don't think they did a system restore because Firefox was still installed and everything when I got my computer back. However, they deleted a lot because I had to reset my home page and settings. The main thing they deleted was a virus disguised as a virus scan program! I had no idea that was a virus. That got Internet Explorer up and running again and fixed some other problems (like getting Firefox to default to Google again instead of Better Search; I had no idea how my Firefox homepage had changed before; now I know!), but it was Ad Block Plus that got rid of the main problem: the kazillion ads showing up on every page.

Don
08-23-2014, 06:26 PM
I don't think they did a system restore because Firefox was still installed and everything when I got my computer back. However, they deleted a lot because I had to reset my home page and settings. The main thing they deleted was a virus disguised as a virus scan program! I had no idea that was a virus. That got Internet Explorer up and running again and fixed some other problems (like getting Firefox to default to Google again instead of Better Search; I had no idea how my Firefox homepage had changed before; now I know!), but it was Ad Block Plus that got rid of the main problem: the kazillion ads showing up on every page.

You use the system restore feature yourself. It does not remove anything per se. It restores your computer to the way it was before you had a problem. If it restores your settings to 24 hours (there are other time options available )before you got the virus the only thing you lose is the virus and whatever other stuff you might have loaded after the restore point. I have never had it fail to fix my computer.

Captain Obvious
08-23-2014, 06:30 PM
Yeah, the system restore does the job, never failed me.

If the machine is infected though it might not take care of it. Malwarebytes always worked for me also.

But now I run Firefox and have had to use neither for years.

Don
08-23-2014, 06:41 PM
I think these assholes who come up with these viruses and hacks should be hunted down and sent to wherever ISIS is with signs on them proclaiming that they hate Muhammad. Well maybe not that. Maybe get a stomping by some Hells Angels.

Dark Mistress
08-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Although the ink is high hp has patches that will make most of their printers work on linux. You can go here and download the ap for linux, also search by model for your printer to see if it will work. http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/index.html

We actually got this far in trying to get our printer set up through our linux but they didn't have the ap for the version of linux we were using at the time. Plus I can't get access to a few other things like dishanywhere.com through my linux OS. So I love linux in it's lack of problems and ease, but there are a very few limitations.

Dark Mistress
08-23-2014, 07:52 PM
I feel certain sometimes the same ones who offer the anti-virus create the viruses.

"It's a conspiracy, man!"

What movie, what movie????

IMPress Polly
08-24-2014, 08:12 AM
Indeed I have always thought of John McAfee as a shady character. I think he's capable! (And the movie is Cars (by Pixar), incidentally. :wink:)

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone! I'm thinking about that system restore option, but I've gotta investigate how to do it.

Peter1469
08-24-2014, 08:16 AM
Indeed I have always thought of John McAfee as a shady character. I think he's capable! (And the movie is Cars (by Pixar), incidentally. :wink:)

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone! I'm thinking about that system restore option, but I've gotta investigate how to do it.

Get your b/f to just buy you another computer. That would solve everything. :smiley: