PDA

View Full Version : Global warming slowdown 'could last another decade'

Chris
08-21-2014, 08:53 PM
Well, damn!

Global warming slowdown 'could last another decade' (http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-28870988)

The latest theory says that a naturally occurring 30-year cycle in the Atlantic Ocean is behind the slowdown.

The researchers says this slow-moving current could continue to divert heat into the deep seas for another decade.

However, they caution that global temperatures are likely to increase rapidly when the cycle flips to a warmer phase.

...More than a dozen theories have been put forward on the cause of this pause in temperature growth that occurred while emissions of carbon dioxide were at record highs.

These ideas include the impact of pollution such as soot particles that have reflected back some of the Sun's heat into space.

Increased volcanic activity since 2000 has also been blamed, as have variations in solar activity.

IOW, they don't know.

Peter1469
08-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Man needs to step up with the climate killing stuff.

Heyduke
08-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Wait, I thought there was no more debate among climate scientists! It means something when that article finally makes it to the BBC.

Seriously, the one thing I've said all along is that the science on this issue is junk, and that the IPCC statistics are fudged, and that we don't know how much man contributes to climate change, and finally that the sun will ultimately become too warm for any life to exist on earth, regardless of how many people buy a Prius.

In the meantime, we're just as likely to be entering an ice age as we are a global temperature maximum.

Peter1469
08-21-2014, 09:25 PM
The debate is over. And if you don't agree you ought to be jailed. That is what many modern scientists claim at least.

Don
08-23-2014, 02:15 PM
I watched a program on the National Geographic TV show a couple years ago about "climate change." One researcher said that warming was natural and some day it will go the other way. He said that when that happens we could pump all the green house gasses we were capable of into the atmosphere but we won't be able to stop it. We will adapt or die. The ten thousand year warming cycle we have experienced has allowed mankind to thrive and go from ignorant cavemen to an advanced technological society. We can use that technology to adapt to and live in just about anything nature can throw at us. After another ten thousand years we might be able to control what nature throws at us. Hopefully by then we will have learned to restrain our worst enemy, ourselves.

Polecat
08-23-2014, 02:20 PM
The volcano that just dumped more green house gases and other toxins into the atmosphere than a 100 coal fired electric plants can in a hundred years should be shut immediately!

Peter1469
08-23-2014, 02:27 PM
The volcano that just dumped more green house gases and other toxins into the atmosphere than a 100 coal fired electric plants can in a hundred years should be shut immediately!
We should get a government flunky to issue a citation to the volcano.

Polecat
08-23-2014, 02:30 PM
I am making picket signs right now and later I'm going to right a slogan for the protest group to chant at the media. We need to raise awareness!

Chris
09-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Follow up, from Matt Ridley, Whatever Happened to Global Warming? (http://online.wsj.com/articles/matt-ridley-whatever-happened-to-global-warming-1409872855), citation from Cooling on Global Warming (http://cafehayek.com/2014/09/cooling-on-global-warming.html):

The U.N. no longer claims that there will be dangerous or rapid climate change in the next two decades. Last September, between the second and final draft of its fifth assessment report, the U.N.’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change quietly downgraded the warming it expected in the 30 years following 1995, to about 0.5 degrees Celsius from 0.7 (or, in Fahrenheit, to about 0.9 degrees, from 1.3).

Even that is likely to be too high. The climate-research establishment has finally admitted openly what skeptic scientists have been saying for nearly a decade: Global warming has stopped since shortly before this century began.

….

It has been roughly two decades since there was a trend in temperature significantly different from zero. The burst of warming that preceded the millennium lasted about 20 years and was preceded by 30 years of slight cooling after 1940.

….

Last month two scientists wrote in Science that they had instead found the explanation [for the long pause in the rise of global temperatures] in natural fluctuations in currents in the Atlantic Ocean. For the last 30 years of the 20th century, Xianyao Chen and Ka-Kit Tung suggested, these currents had been boosting the warming by bringing heat to the surface, then for the past 15 years the currents had been counteracting it by taking heat down deep.

The warming in the last three decades of the 20th century, to quote the news release that accompanied their paper, “was roughly half due to global warming and half to the natural Atlantic Ocean cycle.” In other words, even the modest warming in the 1980s and 1990s—which never achieved the 0.3 degrees Celsius per decade necessary to satisfy the feedback-enhanced models that predict about three degrees of warming by the end of the century—had been exaggerated by natural causes. The man-made warming of the past 20 years has been so feeble that a shifting current in one ocean was enough to wipe it out altogether.

Putting the icing on the cake of good news, Xianyao Chen and Ka-Kit Tung think the Atlantic Ocean may continue to prevent any warming for the next two decades. So in their quest to explain the pause, scientists have made the future sound even less alarming than before.

countryboy
09-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Man needs to step up with the climate killing stuff.
We're already working on it. Haven't you heard? Chemtrails!!!

Lol.....

Peter1469
09-06-2014, 01:27 PM

Lol.....

One of the alternative theories is that the Chem trails are supposed to counter man made global warming...

countryboy
09-06-2014, 03:17 PM
One of the alternative theories is that the Chem trails are supposed to counter man made global warming...
Yep, I've heard. Do you buy it? The evidence is pretty contrived and fairly baseless IMO. Hey, kinda like global warming. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-think004.gif

Peter1469
09-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Yep, I've heard. Do you buy it? The evidence is pretty contrived and fairly baseless IMO. Hey, kinda like global warming. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-think004.gif

It makes more sense than chem trials are to hurt us. Because the elite that are in charge of the program are still us so far as the air is concerned.

countryboy
09-06-2014, 03:30 PM
It makes more sense than chem trials are to hurt us. Because the elite that are in charge of the program are still us so far as the air is concerned.
It's all pretty much been debunked to my satisfaction. What we are observing is simply persistent condensation trails.

Peter1469
09-06-2014, 03:40 PM
It's all pretty much been debunked to my satisfaction. What we are observing is simply persistent condensation trails.

I disagree. And if I find the time I will look up some links to support my position. But I have stuff to do, and this is low on priority. I don't really care what others think about it.

countryboy
09-06-2014, 03:46 PM
I disagree. And if I find the time I will look up some links to support my position. But I have stuff to do, and this is low on priority. I don't really care what others think about it.
It's okay Pete. Post it up if you want to, but I've seen the position of the chem-trail believers ad nauseam. Not being critical of your position, just sayin'. My little bro is a true believer, and other friends who I have great respect for as well. I just disagree. :)

Peter1469
09-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Sounds good to me. I have to first remember what site I saw that stuff in. I will think on it.

Bob
09-06-2014, 03:51 PM

Lol.....

Chemtrails cause airplanes. Haven't you heard? :wink:

Bob
09-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Want to piss them off? The Alarmists i mean?
Tell them how much you are enjoying the warm weather and are thankful we are leaving an ice age. Tell they you know we are leaving one since the poles ice is melting.

They have a fit. Makes me laugh my butt off.

Then quietly explain that if the government really was serious, they would be installing those carbon dioxide scrubbers that are commercially available to remove carbon dioxide.

They would also construct concrete barriers to hold off the sea from flooding coastal lands.

This crap they toy with coal just won't cut it.

Alyosha
09-06-2014, 04:10 PM
People show pics of contrails and say "look--debunked! it's just contrails".

I will have to find the article but I remember I was in undergrad when I read about German scientists as part of a global warming convention that we could mimic volcanoes by shooting sulfur into the atmosphere to cool down the planet. I remember thinking at the time--That's those engineering Germans!

When I first heard the chemtrail theory from conspiracy types I remembered reading that article and thought that we may have been attempting something like that. We'd never actually know if they did because this is not something the governments of the world would share.

It's an interesting theory though.

countryboy
09-06-2014, 04:14 PM

Umm, no. There's far more to the debunking than your simplistic description would suggest.

If you were fair and objective, you would also acknowledge that much of the "evidence" for "chem-trails" is merely pics of contrails with the exclamation, "look, chem-trails!!!!!".

Bob
09-06-2014, 04:18 PM

I will have to find the article but I remember I was in undergrad when I read about German scientists as part of a global warming convention that we could mimic volcanoes by shooting sulfur into the atmosphere to cool down the planet. I remember thinking at the time--That's those engineering Germans!

When I first heard the chemtrail theory from conspiracy types I remembered reading that article and thought that we may have been attempting something like that. We'd never actually know if they did because this is not something the governments of the world would share.

It's an interesting theory though.

Chem-trails are to throw you off.

Contrails is all they are discussing and that is super simple.

They form as ice from the cooling of the hot jet exhaust. The hot air holds more water than cold air and thus as they cool, it is ice you see. It looks like fog but it is really just ice crystals.

countryboy
09-06-2014, 04:21 PM

They form as ice from the cooling of the hot jet exhaust. The hot air holds more water than cold air and thus as they cool, it is ice you see. It looks like fog but it is really just ice crystals.
They can be ice crystals, but the can also be water vapor. Just like clouds. :)

Alyosha
09-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Umm, no. There's far more to the debunking than your simplistic description would suggest.

If you were fair and objective, you would also acknowledge that much of the "evidence" for "chem-trails" is merely pics of contrails with the exclamation, "look, chem-trails!!!!!".

I don't believe in chemtrails or I'm not a chemtrailer. I do think that many conspiracies are nefarious and many are just the government trying to protect the public. I doubt "someone" is trying to kill people with chemicals.

I've seen contrail pics. I've seen contrails. Then I've seen things that just don't look like it and don't meet the explanation provided. I know we cloud seed. Russia does it all the time to keep snow out of Moscow.

I'm chemtrail-ambiguous.

Alyosha
09-06-2014, 04:34 PM

Yes, I know what contrails are. I took science courses.

Bob
09-06-2014, 04:42 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bob http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=753288#post753288)

Yes, I know what contrails are. I took science courses.

Me too. Plus I am a pilot. Did you feel inferior or something?

When i give out information, the purpose is pure education. It is never to get posters to feel bad or suffer feelings of inferiority.

Bob
09-06-2014, 04:48 PM
They can be ice crystals, but the can also be water vapor. Just like clouds. :)

Normally where they are, the airplane is over 30,000 feet where it is pretty cold. Even vapor can freeze into ice crystals. It is fairly easy to predict temperatures at 30,000 feet and above.

Standard temperature at 30,000 feet altitude is 46.5 below freezing.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/wstdatmo.htm

Gerrard Winstanley
09-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Chemtrails ... :rollseyes:

Bob
09-06-2014, 04:53 PM
I don't believe in chemtrails or I'm not a chemtrailer. I do think that many conspiracies are nefarious and many are just the government trying to protect the public. I doubt "someone" is trying to kill people with chemicals.

I've seen contrail pics. I've seen contrails. Then I've seen things that just don't look like it and don't meet the explanation provided. I know we cloud seed. Russia does it all the time to keep snow out of Moscow.

I'm chemtrail-ambiguous.

Clouds seldom get to 30,000 feet where airliners fly.

I have flown a lot. I have to tell you that once away from airports, the sky clears up fast from other flying airplanes. I have flown for maybe 4 hours and not seen other airplanes.

A lot of spooky stories abound but if you stop to ask the right questions, the stories dissolve into myth.

I suspect but am not sure that cloud seeding is a lot lower than where airliners fly.

What surprised me at first is that on the ground, i see clear blue sky on good days. When I fly at say 12,000 feet, below me I see a brown layer. it hangs up around probably 10,000 to 11,000 feet level.