PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Choice in Health Care

Chris
05-02-2012, 08:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JhqyfHRRY-k#!

Chris
05-02-2012, 08:30 PM
States with fewer mandates have lower rates.

Duh.....they have lower quality coverage too.

But what people can afford.

My company--I own a piece--provides its own coverage and it's made clear to us that the cost will depend on our choices. So for example we have rules in place that for non-emergency treatment in an emergency room will not be covered to encourage use of lower quality and much cheaper medclinics. The care is good enough and keeps costs down.

Peter1469
05-02-2012, 08:49 PM
The first step toward better quality insurance, is to repeal EMTALA. When people don't have an outlet for 'free' treatment, they might make better decisions re. the purchase of insurance.

Next, we need a public option, where typically healthy people can opt to buy in to Medicare. This puts low risk clients in an otherwise ultra high risk pool.

Because most people get health insurance from an employer, they don't have as many options. Yes...a high deductible, 'catastrophic' plan will save premium dollars. It isn't for everyone, but those who want that option, should have it.

The bigger the pool, the better the rates. That's why employers don't offer as many choices.

Some good points. I would like to see health insurance removed from employment. If states created risk pools there could be reasonably priced health insurance for people based on risk. I probably spend less than $1500 per year, so I would choose a catastrophic plan.

Chris
05-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Agree with Peter on the good points and getting healthcare out of the hands of employers.

Peter1469
05-02-2012, 09:07 PM
It would make business more competitive.

Chris
05-03-2012, 05:59 AM
Which would drive innovation and force prices down, in the video, iirc.

Peter1469
05-03-2012, 08:22 AM
We need to change the way people view healthcare. Many people run to the doctor for everything, because they have coverage. Likewise, they do so because they want to 'get their money's worth', especially if they pay high premiums.

What we must do, is to morph into a society that stresses prevention, as opposed to cure.

People should strive to eat right, and alter lifestyle in order to remain far away from a doctor's office.

Unfortunately, illness is very profitable. Likewise, we seem to politicize EVERYTHING now, and people demand their right to poisen themselves through food intake/sedentary lifestyle..

Agreed.